*~*WAMC (what are my chances?) Megathread*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I plan to apply to UNC-Chapel Hill, Hampton university, Howard university, Campbell university, Wingate university

Overall GPA 3.3
Science/math GPA 3.0

Taking PCAT July 2013

Experience I'm a research assistant with one publication, I job shadow pharmacists, I volunteered in a hospital pharmacy

Personal statement. I'm working on my statement and it is written passionately

Interview I get nervous about interviews. How can I fix that?

Are my stats good enough to get in at least one of pharmacy school choices?
Stats are average and by that I mean you'll get interviews at a few of the schools you listed if your personal statement and references are good as well. Your experience is great. After your PCAT come back and post, kinda hard to give you a real opinion without that as it's a pretty decent factor for most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! Been doing a lot of reading since I decided pre-pharmacy, which appears to be very common for pre-pharmacy students! For some reason I never actually joined this forum even though I have frequented it so many times... so here I am. :)

I was just curious as to what some of you more experienced folks would think as far as WAMC?

a. UConn (Currently Pre-Pharm at UConn)
b. Current Cumulative GPA: 3.75
Projected end of semester/application due: 3.64
c. Current Math/Science GPA: 3.66
Projected end of semester/application due: 3.52
d. GPA in last one or two school years: Fall11: 3.43 Summer12:4.0 F12:~3.43
e. PCAT: Attempt 1- 68 :thumbdown:
f. 2 years as Shift Supervisor at CVS/pharmacy. Basically Manager on Duty for front store, but required knowledge of Pharmacy and always spent hours working back there during busy times. (My store filled 4600 scripts/week but budgeted at 3400!!)
g. PharmCAS Due: Jan 5th

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. LORs: 1. My physics teacher from summer course I took. Great guy, and I held the highest point grade in his class so I figured it would be a good source of LOR.
2. Pharmacist who I used to work with who has written quite a few LORs for pre-pharm students that have worked there... all have been accepted thus far.
i. Going on 4 years of military service. 02/2009-Present Air Force Reserves til 2010 and Air National Guard since. I'm an F-16 crew chief (glorified mechanic), but am currently being med-boarded and possibly medically retired due to line-of-duty respiratory disease. The military has obviously taught me many skills from time management to attention-to-detail, etc. General Job Description if it matters.
j. Good interview skills, very personable.
k. Incomplete, still working on my personal statement. I believe it will be of better than average quality though.

A couple notes... I'm only applying for UConn because $$. I only get 40% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill and CT has a Veteran Tuition waiver that covers the rest of state school tuition. No other state currently offers this.

The above "projected" GPAs are what I calculated for cumulative GPAs based on what I believe could be the absolute minimum grades in each of my courses...

I have a W for my Fall 2011 semester because I was deploying during the semester and I couldn't work anything out with that professor. Can a W hurt?

After getting home from Afghanistan I buckled down and took 15 credits in the summer (never again...) but the work paid off with a 4.0 for the semester in Gen Chem 2, Physics, Econ, Freshman English.

Lastly, my PCAT score... I feel like that sucks. I did so well on the practice exams, but was just destroyed by the real test. Maybe I was too cocky going into it, but I had always done well on Standardized testing. Score a 98% on my ASVABs... but obviously they're two different beasts! Deploying and taking a break from school surely didn't help either. I am going to try to register for the January testing and retake the PCATs and see if I can't atleast pull a 70% or better... how harsh is UConn when it comes to PCAT score? If it can only help my chances of getting accepted then it is definitely worth the $200 or so to just retest.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated! (And sorry for the lengthy post, perhaps I was a little too thorough)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Been doing a lot of reading since I decided pre-pharmacy, which appears to be very common for pre-pharmacy students! For some reason I never actually joined this forum even though I have frequented it so many times... so here I am. :)

I was just curious as to what some of you more experienced folks would think as far as WAMC?

a. UConn (Currently Pre-Pharm at UConn)
b. Current Cumulative GPA: 3.75
Projected end of semester/application due: 3.64
c. Current Math/Science GPA: 3.66
Projected end of semester/application due: 3.52
d. GPA in last one or two school years: Fall11: 3.43 Summer12:4.0 F12:~3.43
e. PCAT: Attempt 1- 68 :thumbdown:
f. 2 years as Shift Supervisor at CVS/pharmacy. Basically Manager on Duty for front store, but required knowledge of Pharmacy and always spent hours working back there during busy times. (My store filled 4600 scripts/week but budgeted at 3400!!)
g. PharmCAS Due: Jan 5th

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. LORs: 1. My physics teacher from summer course I took. Great guy, and I held the highest point grade in his class so I figured it would be a good source of LOR.
2. Pharmacist who I used to work with who has written quite a few LORs for pre-pharm students that have worked there... all have been accepted thus far.
i. Going on 4 years of military service. 02/2009-Present Air Force Reserves til 2010 and Air National Guard since. I'm an F-16 crew chief (glorified mechanic), but am currently being med-boarded and possibly medically retired due to line-of-duty respiratory disease. The military has obviously taught me many skills from time management to attention-to-detail, etc. General Job Description if it matters.
j. Good interview skills, very personable.
k. Incomplete, still working on my personal statement. I believe it will be of better than average quality though.

A couple notes... I'm only applying for UConn because $$. I only get 40% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill and CT has a Veteran Tuition waiver that covers the rest of state school tuition. No other state currently offers this.

The above "projected" GPAs are what I calculated for cumulative GPAs based on what I believe could be the absolute minimum grades in each of my courses...

I have a W for my Fall 2011 semester because I was deploying during the semester and I couldn't work anything out with that professor. Can a W hurt?

After getting home from Afghanistan I buckled down and took 15 credits in the summer (never again...) but the work paid off with a 4.0 for the semester in Gen Chem 2, Physics, Econ, Freshman English.

Lastly, my PCAT score... I feel like that sucks. I did so well on the practice exams, but was just destroyed by the real test. Maybe I was too cocky going into it, but I had always done well on Standardized testing. Score a 98% on my ASVABs... but obviously they're two different beasts! Deploying and taking a break from school surely didn't help either. I am going to try to register for the January testing and retake the PCATs and see if I can't atleast pull a 70% or better... how harsh is UConn when it comes to PCAT score? If it can only help my chances of getting accepted then it is definitely worth the $200 or so to just retest.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated! (And sorry for the lengthy post, perhaps I was a little too thorough)

Thanks!

Don't see any situation where you're not offered an interview. Good chances for acceptance. I guess I could criticize the big discrepancy between GPA and projected GPA? But really your GPA is fine no matter what. Barring some major meltdown or mistake, I think you'll do just fine.

Stats are average and by that I mean you'll get interviews at a few of the schools you listed if your personal statement and references are good as well. Your experience is great. After your PCAT come back and post, kinda hard to give you a real opinion without that as it's a pretty decent factor for most schools.

Hi JonPrePhamD, I see that you attend Campbell and that school is my first choice. Can you give me any insight of your experience at Campbell? I choose Campbell because I'm always impress my the knowledge that Campbell graduates have. That let's me know that Campbell is a good school.

a.
Midwestern - Glendale
Midwestern - Chicago
Mercer University
University of Iowa
MCPHS
College Algebra
University of Hawaii, Hilo
LECOM - Bradenton
LECOM - Erie
University of New England
Philadelphia College – Georgia
Chicago State University
Roosevelt University
University of Minnesota
Touro College
University of Maryland
Rosalind Franklin
Howard University
Appalachian College of Pharmacy
Schools you are applying to
b. 2.7ish
c. 2.7ish
d. 2.7ish
e. 88 Comp, 97 QA, 93 Chem, 91 bio, 67 verb, 25 reading
f. Volunteered at independent pharmacy, current pharm tech at CVS
g. 11/14

h. 2 Professors, 1 pharmacist; decent.. not sure lol.
i. Officer of two clubs, volunteering program in Asia, tutored high school athletes for a semester.
j. Decent, could use some work.
k. Decent, not bad.

a.
Midwestern - Glendale
Midwestern - Chicago
Mercer University
University of Iowa
MCPHS
College Algebra
University of Hawaii, Hilo
LECOM - Bradenton
LECOM - Erie
University of New England
Philadelphia College – Georgia
Chicago State University
Roosevelt University
University of Minnesota
Touro College
University of Maryland
Rosalind Franklin
Howard University
Schools you are applying to
b. 2.7ish
c. 2.7ish
d. 2.7ish
e. 88 Comp, 97 QA, 93 Chem, 91 bio, 67 verb, 25 reading
f. Volunteered at independent pharmacy, current pharm tech at CVS
g. 11/14

h. 2 Professors, 1 pharmacist; decent.. not sure lol.
i. Officer of two clubs, volunteering program in Asia, tutored high school athletes for a semester.
j. Decent, could use some work.
k. Decent, not bad.

you will most likely get an interview to both midwesterns and mcphs. my stats are extremely similar to yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops. Clicked on wrong section. lol Sorry.

For Fall 2014. What can I do to improve myself? I'm so stuck! I know my PCAT needs to be higher, but class wise I'm taking like 16-19 hours a semester already and they're ALL science classes, but doing really well. More volunteering maybe? :scared:

a. University of Kentucky (since I am a Kentucky resident and it's in my state only reason I'm applying there cos I know I stand no chance. Don't HAVE to tell me. ;) ), University of Michigan, Ferris State, Wayne State, University of South Florida, Nova, University of Findlay, and Northern Indiana University.

b. 3.3ish GPA overall. Will be higher after the Spring.

I have a Bachelors of Arts in English, graduated in May 2012 from a really small college. I had a 2.5 GPA with 68 hours. And a 3.5 from a community college with about over 83 hours. And Post-bacc I have a 3.4 GPA.

c.3.0ish. NOTHING lower. That's counting a few retakes. Will be higher after Spring.

d. GPA Post-bacc is a solid 3.4 GPA, Community college is a 3.5 overall GPA. Only C I had managed was in Orgo Lab, but an A in lecture.

e. Composite Score is a - 69. I'm going to be retaking in the summer.

f. Pharmacy Experience -
Worked at CVS since 2007 as a Pharmacy Tech. Quit late 2011 and will be getting back in the summer.

g. Submission Date.

h. LOR's and sources -

1. English Professor - She taught a lot of my English courses that I had taken. VERY close. So I expect a really good LOR.
2. Pharmacist/Manager - I was with her back in 2007.
3. Chair Head/School - I attend now. She was my Genetics and Biology Seminar Professor.
4. Biology Professor - for General Biology's and Plant Biology. Pretty close to him as well.

i. I have tons of activities, hours from living on campus from when I did my bachelor's degree in 2008-2012. From helping out with Psychology Club, Biology Club and being President of an English Club. I had started the club myself. And I also have some help with working in a nursing home yearly for a charity organization during Christmas time. Then in the Spring before I helped with a Leadership conference the college had put on and directed prospective students. As well a few other leadership with different things I have participated on. My advisor at this liberal arts college told me to add all of this as it looks good for professional school? Not sure if that's actually true? I need some help, I think. With my Post-Bacc, I am part of a Natural Science Association. I have helped with a local science center and helped with a few exhibits that have came to the city where I live.

j. I would like to say that I have good interview skills. I'm a bit bashful at first, not knowing what to expect, but I loose up after the first question or two.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality?
Above average?

Thank you for your input in advance!! It's much appreciated.

For Fall 2014. What can I do to improve myself? I'm so stuck! I know my PCAT needs to be higher, but class wise I'm taking like 16-19 hours a semester already and they're ALL science classes, but doing really well. More volunteering maybe? :scared:

a. University of Kentucky (since I am a Kentucky resident and it's in my state only reason I'm applying there cos I know I stand no chance. Don't HAVE to tell me. ;) ), University of Michigan, Ferris State, Wayne State, University of South Florida, Nova, University of Findlay, and Northern Indiana University.

b. 3.3ish GPA overall. Will be higher after the Spring.

I have a Bachelors of Arts in English, graduated in May 2012 from a really small college. I had a 2.5 GPA with 68 hours. And a 3.5 from a community college with about over 83 hours. And Post-bacc I have a 3.4 GPA.

c.3.0ish. NOTHING lower. That's counting a few retakes. Will be higher after Spring.

d. GPA Post-bacc is a solid 3.4 GPA, Community college is a 3.5 overall GPA. Only C I had managed was in Orgo Lab, but an A in lecture.

e. Composite Score is a - 69. I'm going to be retaking in the summer.

f. Pharmacy Experience -
Worked at CVS since 2007 as a Pharmacy Tech. Quit late 2011 and will be getting back in the summer.

g. Submission Date.

h. LOR's and sources -

1. English Professor - She taught a lot of my English courses that I had taken. VERY close. So I expect a really good LOR.
2. Pharmacist/Manager - I was with her back in 2007.
3. Chair Head/School - I attend now. She was my Genetics and Biology Seminar Professor.
4. Biology Professor - for General Biology's and Plant Biology. Pretty close to him as well.

i. I have tons of activities, hours from living on campus from when I did my bachelor's degree in 2008-2012. From helping out with Psychology Club, Biology Club and being President of an English Club. I had started the club myself. And I also have some help with working in a nursing home yearly for a charity organization during Christmas time. Then in the Spring before I helped with a Leadership conference the college had put on and directed prospective students. As well a few other leadership with different things I have participated on. My advisor at this liberal arts college told me to add all of this as it looks good for professional school? Not sure if that's actually true? I need some help, I think. With my Post-Bacc, I am part of a Natural Science Association. I have helped with a local science center and helped with a few exhibits that have came to the city where I live.

j. I would like to say that I have good interview skills. I'm a bit bashful at first, not knowing what to expect, but I loose up after the first question or two.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality?
Above average?

Thank you for your input in advance!! It's much appreciated.

All I would say is higher PCAT and higher GPA. Everything looks great.

a. Schools you are applying to:
Colorado Denver, University of
Pacific, University of the
Albany College of Pharmacy
California Northstate
Chicago State University
Hawaii, University of at Hilo
Howard University
Illinois-Chicago, University of
Marshall University
Maryland, University of
Midwestern University- Glendale
Midwestern University-Chicago
Minnesota, University of
New Mexico, University of
Touro College (NY)
Touro University (CA)
University of South Florida School of Pharmacy
Virginia Commonwealth University
b. Overall GPA: 2.92
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.97
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.42
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 70 composite
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 200 hours volunteering in a Emergency Room, Shadowed a Pharmacist for 3 months
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): I just submitted my PharmCAS on 11/13/12,

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4, Professor I do research for, Genetics Professor, Pharmacist I shadowed, and the hospital I volunteered at
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I was working for my first 2 years that's why my grades were so poor, Research for 7 months now in a Biochemlab putting in 40+ hours a week
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Excellent
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality:Very good had read over by multiple people who added their opinions to it

What do you guys think? My last 2 years I have had a 3.4 GPA while volunteering I hope adcoms can see this and somehow disregard my first few years I am applying from Cali

Colorado Denver, University of
Pacific, University of the
Albany College of Pharmacy
California Northstate
Chicago State University
Hawaii, University of at Hilo
Howard University
Illinois-Chicago, University of
Marshall University
Maryland, University of
Midwestern University- Glendale
Midwestern University-Chicago
Minnesota, University of
New Mexico, University of
Touro College (NY)
Touro University (CA)
University of South Florida School of Pharmacy
Virginia Commonwealth University
b. Overall GPA: 2.92
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.97
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.42
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 70 composite
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 200 hours volunteering in a Emergency Room, Shadowed a Pharmacist for 3 months
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): I just submitted my PharmCAS on 11/13/12,

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4, Professor I do research for, Genetics Professor, Pharmacist I shadowed, and the hospital I volunteered at
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I was working for my first 2 years that's why my grades were so poor, Research for 7 months now in a Biochemlab putting in 40+ hours a week
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Excellent
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality:Very good had read over by multiple people who added their opinions to it

What do you guys think? My last 2 years I have had a 3.4 GPA while volunteering I hope adcoms can see this and somehow disregard my first few years I am applying from Cali

Low GPA won't be too bad if your recommenders endorse your intellectual ability.

Updated

a. Schools you are applying to

California Northstate University, Palm Beach Atlantic University, University of South Florida, University of Florida, Albany College of Pharmacy, D'Youville College

b. Overall GPA - 2.9

c. Math/Science GPA - 2.8

d. GPA in last one or two school years - 3.0 (starting 4th year soon)

e. Complete PCAT scores - 91 composite [65 VA, 54 RC, 85 QA, 91 Bio, 98 Chem]

f. Pharmacy experience obtained

70 hours interning in a retail pharmacy; internship will be ongoing throughout the academic school year (expecting 200+ hours by the end of spring quarter)

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)

Will be submitting tomorrow.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs

1 from my upper division science (animal behavior) professor
1 from pharmacist who I'm an intern for
1 from a former English Premier League soccer player who is currently the Director of Coaching in my soccer league
1 from the President of my soccer league; former Referee Coordinator

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience

4-year holder of a NSCAA Advanced Regional coaching license (coached and trained U-16 and U-17 Div 3 and 1 teams)
8-year holder of a USSF Grade 8 Referee license (officiated nearly 500 games, ranging from U-10 recreational to U-19 competitive)

j. Self-perception of interview skills

Solid. I've got little to no problems handling questions in an interview.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality

Very good. Dedicated around 2 months and countless office hours for my writing professor in writing my personal statement.

Updated

California Northstate University, Palm Beach Atlantic University, University of South Florida, University of Florida, Albany College of Pharmacy, D'Youville College

b. Overall GPA - 2.9

c. Math/Science GPA - 2.8

d. GPA in last one or two school years - 3.0 (starting 4th year soon)

e. Complete PCAT scores - 91 composite [65 VA, 54 RC, 85 QA, 91 Bio, 98 Chem]

70 hours interning in a retail pharmacy; internship will be ongoing throughout the academic school year (expecting 200+ hours by the end of spring quarter)

Will be submitting tomorrow.

1 from my upper division science (animal behavior) professor
1 from pharmacist who I'm an intern for
1 from a former English Premier League soccer player who is currently the Director of Coaching in my soccer league
1 from the President of my soccer league; former Referee Coordinator

4-year holder of a NSCAA Advanced Regional coaching license (coached and trained U-16 and U-17 Div 3 and 1 teams)
8-year holder of a USSF Grade 8 Referee license (officiated nearly 500 games, ranging from U-10 recreational to U-19 competitive)

Solid. I've got little to no problems handling questions in an interview.

Very good. Dedicated around 2 months and countless office hours for my writing professor in writing my personal statement.

Two LORs from soccer people is bold; I think one is sufficient to cover that area of your extracurricular life.

Two LORs from soccer people is bold; I think one is sufficient to cover that area of your extracurricular life.

Bold, but necessary. I've made significant contributions to my soccer league over the past 9 years officiating games so having the current president/former referee coordinator write a LoR is required for that. Also the director of coaching's LoR is required since he and I train a few high level soccer teams together who have gone to win soccer tournaments and get 1st/2nd in their respective league brackets. We're a small-town team that doesn't have very many quality soccer players compared to the other cities that have twice to even four times the number of players we have so it's quite impressive for us to field some very competitive teams with what little we have.

Aside from the LoRs, what do you think about the rest of the application? How well do you think I have offset my low GPA?

Last edited:
Bold, but necessary. I've made significant contributions to my soccer league over the past 9 years officiating games so having the current president/former referee coordinator write a LoR is required for that. Also the director of coaching's LoR is required since he and I train a few high level soccer teams together who have gone to win soccer tournaments and get 1st/2nd in their respective league brackets. We're a small-town team that doesn't have very many quality soccer players compared to the other cities that have twice to even four times the number of players we have so it's quite impressive for us to field some very competitive teams with what little we have.

Aside from the LoRs, what do you think about the rest of the application? How well do you think I have offset my low GPA?

In all honesty, I would drop one of the soccer LORs. You say you want to offset your "low" gpa but half of your LORs are soccer related. I would consider getting another science professor LOR, one that can attest to your ability and that your gpa does not depict who you are.

In all honesty, I would drop one of the soccer LORs. You say you want to offset your "low" gpa but half of your LORs are soccer related. I would consider getting another science professor LOR, one that can attest to your ability and that your gpa does not depict who you are.

Most of the schools I am applying to only require 2 letters, preferably from a pharmacist/health professional and a science professor. If I were to throw out a soccer LoR and replace it with a science professor, I will potentially be blocking out the chance for adcoms to see the soccer side of me. Besides, it's not the physical aspect of soccer that they will be talking about; it will be about the effort, integrity, perseverance, professionalism and commitment that I have shown over 9 years.

Most of the schools I am applying to only require 2 letters, preferably from a pharmacist/health professional and a science professor. If I were to throw out a soccer LoR and replace it with a science professor, I will potentially be blocking out the chance for adcoms to see the soccer side of me. Besides, it's not the physical aspect of soccer that they will be talking about; it will be about the effort, integrity, perseverance, professionalism and commitment that I have shown over 9 years.

Exactly, but they'll get all of that in one letter.

okay we get it, soccer is a big deal in your life. Now put yourself in the adcoms shoes. Will they see it the same way?

Exactly, but they'll get all of that in one letter.

I know. And that's why I want to secure the possibility if they do decide to look at a 3rd that it will be about what I've done in my soccer life.

But regardless, let's not get so hung up on just my LoRs. 3 of the 4 are already uploaded and I'm still waiting on the 4th. Can we discuss the rest of my profile instead?

okay we get it, soccer is a big deal in your life. Now put yourself in the adcoms shoes. Will they see it the same way?

I'd like to know what you're trying to imply.

Besides, can we get on with the rest of my profile and not get so hung up on my choice of LoRs?

Last edited:
i think you know what i meant. your post reminds me of the other thread, "should i tell admissions that i game," except this type of gaming is real opposed to being electronic.

but sure, lets get off the topic of your LORs.

GPA is good enough to be admitted somewhere but your submission time is now going to work against you, especially for schools with rolling admissions. Will you be obtaining your bachelor's after this year? Aside from that, the question of "what are my chances?" doesn't even matter anymore since you have already submitted. Its all a waiting game now. But if you are really looking to this thread to give you the peace of mind of what could happen, then i would say you have a decent shot. As vague as that sounds that is the best anyone could give you.

i think you know what i meant. your post reminds me of the other thread, "should i tell admissions that i game," except this type of gaming is real opposed to being electronic.

but sure, lets get off the topic of your LORs.

GPA is good enough to be admitted somewhere but your submission time is now going to work against you, especially for schools with rolling admissions. Will you be obtaining your bachelor's after this year? Aside from that, the question of "what are my chances?" doesn't even matter anymore since you have already submitted. Its all a waiting game now. But if you are really looking to this thread to give you the peace of mind of what could happen, then i would say you have a decent shot. As vague as that sounds that is the best anyone could give you.

I'll play devil's advocate. GPA is low; I know in CA it won't get you a lot of invites; for this reason, LORs and essays are what will get you an interview. You have a big extracurricular investment in soccer. In my opinion, this works in your favor. I prefer one or two big commitments rather than a ton of shallow experiences. It allows for growth, dedication, and deep involvement. Only 70 hours of pharmacy experience; I say it's good enough, but many applicants will have more than that. Did you have a job in college? Any honors? Other extracurriculars?

Here's how it looks to me: 1. soccer 2. pharmacy intern 3. low GPA 4. typical LORs 5. typical essay. Do you have a chance? Yes. Is there a chance you won't make the cut? Yes.

That's the devil's advocate. Plus I'm just some chump with subjective opinions posting on a thread where people want their chances told to them. Your assessment of your strengths and weaknesses are the most important.

Long Island University, LECOM-PA, UMaryland, UBuffalo, UAlbany, Thomas Jefferson, MCPHS Worcester, South University
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
d. GPA in last one or two school years
3.3ish
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
Verbal: 87
Biology: 99
RC: 86
QA:93
Chem: 97
COMPOSITE: 99

Shadowed a hospital pharmacy once
11/29

One math prof and one science prof - they didn't know me too personally, but went to their office hours a few times and did well in their classes. Last one will be from either another math prof, whose class i'm doing extremely well in and go to office hours often, or my faculty advisor, who helped me write my personal statement
Lots of healthcare experience - volunteering in hospitals, service trip in Peru
Average - I might buckle under pressure though
Maybe a 7 or 8 out of 10?

I feel like the only good thing about my app is my PCATs. Do you guys think that the rest of my average application deter me from getting in? :(

i think the only thing good about your app is EVERYTHING. You will get an interview from most/all of your schools.

Haha thank you! I'm hoping that will be the case, but so many people have a lot of pharmacy experience along with good recs and extracurriculars that it's making me worried. :(

I see you're not giving yourself enough credit lol. You will definitely be a very competitive applicant.

Haha thank you! I'm hoping that will be the case, but so many people have a lot of pharmacy experience along with good recs and extracurriculars that it's making me worried. :(

I'm totally on the same boat as you. All my stats seem good, but where I'm lacking is actual work and volunteering experience.

If anyone would give their thoughts on my chances, it'd be greatly appreciated (specifically for University of Texas)

a) Schools applying: Univ. of Texas

b) Overall GPA: 3.87

c) Math/science GPA: 3.75

d) GPA in last year: 3.87

**Note, I'm currently in my 2nd year (3rd semester) of undergrad, so only the first 2 semesters are included in my GPA calculation - no Ochem, biochem, microbio, etc.

e) Complete PCAT score: Composite 95 (VA - 87, Bio - 77, RC -76, QA - 96, Chem - 98)

f) Pharmacy experience obtained - shadowed pharmacy once

g) Date of application submission: 11/1

h) Number and Source of LOR's - one from general chem professor, the other from my O. Chem professor. I did/am doing well in those classes, but I don't really have a personal relationship with the professors. The LOR's should be decent, I think.

i) Non-pharmacy work, volunteering - community service hours, volunteered for CAPS at local hospital once (a group for Parkinson's patients). I have a part-time job (non-pharmacy related, but definitely uses communication skills, etc.).

j) Interview skills - okay, could be better. I will definitely practice and prepare.

k) Personal Statement - I think it was pretty good.

Others, extracurriculars - I love film and cinema. I took 2 film related courses as electives just for fun, and I joined a film club on campus. I write screenplays/edit films in my occasional spare time and one of my short scripts has been produced (another one on the way!) -- I really hope this sets me apart and 'wows' the admissions people to some extent.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I feel everything is solid except the fact that I haven't worked in a pharmacy or volunteered in a hospital/pharmacy setting.

(asking again because i left out a lot the last time)

I'm applying to SUNY Buffalo and Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (ACPHS)

GPA: 3.08

Sci/Mat: 3.13

PCAT:
verbal 78
bio 99
reading 91
quant. 58
chem 88
composite: 94

application esubmitted 11/14 (not verified or mailed yet)

3 letters of recommendation from two biology professors and the University Scholars director (University Scholars is a program at SUNY Stony Brook that is one level below the Honors Program)

Lots of non-pharmacy work experience because I've worked an on-campus job almost every year.

I believe my interview skills are very good

I believe my personal statement was overall good, but not spectacular

Graduating this year with a BS in biochemistry

WAMC?

I'm worried about my GPA. Will my PCAT score help make up for it? Should I consider retaking the PCAT since my score on the math section was low, even though I have a high overall score?

I'm totally on the same boat as you. All my stats seem good, but where I'm lacking is actual work and volunteering experience.

If anyone would give their thoughts on my chances, it'd be greatly appreciated (specifically for University of Texas)

**Note, I'm currently in my 2nd year (3rd semester) of undergrad, so only the first 2 semesters are included in my GPA calculation - no Ochem, biochem, microbio, etc.

e) Complete PCAT score: Composite 95 (VA - 87, Bio - 77, RC -76, QA - 96, Chem - 98)

h) Number and Source of LOR's - one from general chem professor, the other from my O. Chem professor. I did/am doing well in those classes, but I don't really have a personal relationship with the professors. The LOR's should be decent, I think.

i) Non-pharmacy work, volunteering - community service hours, volunteered for CAPS at local hospital once (a group for Parkinson's patients). I have a part-time job (non-pharmacy related, but definitely uses communication skills, etc.).

j) Interview skills - okay, could be better. I will definitely practice and prepare.

Others, extracurriculars - I love film and cinema. I took 2 film related courses as electives just for fun, and I joined a film club on campus. I write screenplays/edit films in my occasional spare time and one of my short scripts has been produced (another one on the way!) -- I really hope this sets me apart and 'wows' the admissions people to some extent.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I feel everything is solid except the fact that I haven't worked in a pharmacy or volunteered in a hospital/pharmacy setting.

Strong application; however, if you want criticism, weak LORs, no difficult science coursework, no pharmacy experience. Good luck, you should get in.

University of Washington, Washington State University, University of Pacific
b. Overall GPA 3.00 at the University of Washington, Seattle
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.9
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.06, 3.79
verbal: 82
Biology: 67
Reading Comprehension: 68
Quantitative ability: 33 ( i have not taken calculus yet :/)
Writing 4.5
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2 years as a pharmacy tech. in retail, and voluntary pharmacy assistant in a clinical pharmacy
november
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs 3- 2 pharmacist employees and a professor from UW
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: volunteer for non-profits for 3 yrs
j. Self-perception of interview skills: ehh, okay i guess?
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: think it is okay.

please let me know my chances :[ i dont have must confidence because of my low GPA.

and i have not graduated with a degree yet.

Last edited:
University of Washington, Washington State University, University of Pacific
b. Overall GPA 3.00 at the University of Washington, Seattle
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.9
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.06, 3.79
verbal: 82
Biology: 67
Reading Comprehension: 68
Quantitative ability: 33 ( i have not taken calculus yet :/)
Writing 4.5
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2 years as a pharmacy tech. in retail, and voluntary pharmacy assistant in a clinical pharmacy
november
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs 3- 2 pharmacist employees and a professor from UW
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: volunteer for non-profits for 3 yrs
j. Self-perception of interview skills: ehh, okay i guess?
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: think it is okay.

please let me know my chances :[ i dont have must confidence because of my low GPA.

and i have not graduated with a degree yet.

Pretty low GPA but you might get into UOP if you really impress them (and get an interview invite, of course!)

a.Schools you are applying to:
University of Hawaii at Hilo, Midwestern-Glendale, Roseman, Washington State University, University of Washington, Creighton, University of Colorado, Pacific University Oregon, University of Oklahoma, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Pharmacy,
b. Overall GPA: 3.36
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.1
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.4
e. Complete PCAT scores: VA-68, BIO-51, RC-47, QA-58, CHEM-85, Composite-66
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: None, but I have worked at a home for mentally handicapped adults and also went on a two year international volunteer service mission to Ecuador.
g. Date of application submission: 10/26/2012 and i finished all supplemental applications 2 week ago by 11/30/2012

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LOR's from a professor for whom I was a TA for Human Anatomy, one is from a professor with whom I helped run the Biology labs, and one from employer.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 2 year service mission to Ecuador
j. Self-perception of interview skills: average
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality-great

University of Hawaii at Hilo, Midwestern-Glendale, Roseman, Washington State University, University of Washington, Creighton, University of Colorado, Pacific University Oregon, University of Oklahoma, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Pharmacy,
b. Overall GPA: 3.36
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.1
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.4
e. Complete PCAT scores: VA-68, BIO-51, RC-47, QA-58, CHEM-85, Composite-66
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: None, but I have worked at a home for mentally handicapped adults and also went on a two year international volunteer service mission to Ecuador.
g. Date of application submission: 10/26/2012 and i finished all supplemental applications 2 week ago by 11/30/2012

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LOR's from a professor for whom I was a TA for Human Anatomy, one is from a professor with whom I helped run the Biology labs, and one from employer.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 2 year service mission to Ecuador
j. Self-perception of interview skills: average

Hard to say- seems like decent chances.

Too many
b. Overall GPA: 2.8
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.7
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores: VA-74, BIO-84, RC-47, QA-82, CHEM-88, Righting 3.5 Composite-84
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: None, however, I have workd in a hospice as LVN for the past 2 years and I think pharmacy is my field, cuz one time i saw the pharmacist make a serum and he aint not even read the liquid from the meniscis.
g. Date of application submission: 11/26/2012, still getting verified
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from the hospital pharmacist who can't even read a graduated cylinder correctly, and 2 from professors at my last university from ochem and anatomy.
i. Self-perception of interview skills: average
Other info: Growing up I was in a lot of gang activity and was in and out of jail a lot. I got suspended from the university for a year fo try to steal a projector and also gotta DUI on me. During my dismissal from the university i tried to become a rapper and made 3 mixed tapes. One day my brother was shot while walking home and i realized that gang activity is going to lead me to the same thing. So I finished up from the university after my re-admittance and became a nerd getting a 4.0 average but i have lots of F's lingering around. During my schooling, I worked in a medical marijuana dispensary before the feds shut it down, i couldn't find a job afterwards. One afternoon while watching Maury i saw a commercial for American career college and got my LVN license in a year.
So imma ask yall cuz of my race and background am i hopeless

Thnx guys, Tercel

Too many
e. Complete PCAT scores: VA-74, BIO-84, RC-47, QA-82, CHEM-88, Righting 3.5 Composite-84
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: None, however, I have workd in a hospice as LVN for the past 2 years and I think pharmacy is my field, cuz one time i saw the pharmacist make a serum and he aint not even read the liquid from the meniscis.
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from the hospital pharmacist who can't even read a graduated cylinder correctly, and 2 from professors at my last university from ochem and anatomy.
Other info: Growing up I was in a lot of gang activity and was in and out of jail a lot. I got suspended from the university for a year fo try to steal a projector and also gotta DUI on me. During my dismissal from the university i tried to become a rapper and made 3 mixed tapes. One day my brother was shot while walking home and i realized that gang activity is going to lead me to the same thing. So I finished up from the university after my re-admittance and became a nerd getting a 4.0 average but i have lots of F's lingering around. During my schooling, I worked in a medical marijuana dispensary before the feds shut it down, i couldn't find a job afterwards. One afternoon while watching Maury i saw a commercial for American career college and got my LVN license in a year.

Thnx guys, Tercel

To be honest, I'm not sure how schools look at the whole bad-GPA-but-turned-things-around situation. At any rate, the application is gonna be a mixed bag, but overall I don't know which schools would give you a chance. Only good LORs and essays will get you and interview.

(asking again because i left out a lot the last time)

I'm applying to SUNY Buffalo and Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (ACPHS)

GPA: 3.08

Sci/Mat: 3.13

PCAT:
verbal 78
bio 99
reading 91
quant. 58
chem 88
composite: 94

application esubmitted 11/14 (not verified or mailed yet)

3 letters of recommendation from two biology professors and the University Scholars director (University Scholars is a program at SUNY Stony Brook that is one level below the Honors Program)

Lots of non-pharmacy work experience because I've worked an on-campus job almost every year.

I believe my interview skills are very good

I believe my personal statement was overall good, but not spectacular

Graduating this year with a BS in biochemistry

WAMC?

I'm worried about my GPA. Will my PCAT score help make up for it? Should I consider retaking the PCAT since my score on the math section was low, even though I have a high overall score?

If this were my application (applying to CA schools), I would be worried about my chances. But I have high standards. I give it a meticulously calculated 41.89% chance of getting an interview.

I like the chances. Cool about the screenplays, but against strong competition it's probably not going to 'wow' the admissions committee that much. But they'll chalk it up as a hobby and it'll make you less forgettable. I would be surprised if you didn't get in.

Too many

Thnx guys, Tercel

i believe if you apply to Howard you will be perfectly fine.

i believe if you apply to Howard you will be perfectly fine.

Thanks for bein real dawg, seem like many people like that KCho guy call anything below a 3.3 horrendous and u gotta be born with a silver spoon in yo butt. Thanks for actually tryin, even tho it kinda racist llol

If this were my application (applying to CA schools), I would be worried about my chances. But I have high standards. I give it a meticulously calculated 41.89% chance of getting an interview.
thanks for the feedback!

I posted before but my app was just verified, changed things a little.....

VCU, U Colorado, U Washington, U Buffalo, U Oklahoma, ETSU, U Hawaii

Last edited:
I'm graduating with my undergrad spring 2013, and I'm taking a year off to get everything together, so I can be ready to apply for pharmacy schools.
--However, I never tried so hard getting good grades, because I was unsure on what I really wanted to do. & when I got a job as a pharmacy technician, I realized how much I love the pharmacy environment and I wanted to be more than just a technician. By the time I realized, my GPA is way low. I was at 2.0 :scared: GPA when I transferred to a CSU, and now at a 2.5 GPA.:confused:

Ochem I : B
Ochem I lab :C
Ochem II : B-
Ochem II lab : C
Biochem I : B
BIochem I LAB : A-
Biochem II : in progress
Biochem II lab In progess
Biology I : B
Biology II : C+
Chem I : C
Chem II: B-
Anatomy & physiology : B
Anatomy in progress
Physiology in progress

I don't know if there is anyone that actually got into school with a low GPA, recently & with at least 2-3 years of experience, and great LOR's.

In addition, I have not taken the PCAT, which I planned on to.