WAMC Urgent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in need of help and advice from the community.

Cumulative GPA – 3.118/4.00
Science GPA- 3.053/4.00
MCAT: 501
6-year US Army veteran - medical
1 year of medical assistant
3 years of clinical research with several co-author papers and 1 first-author paper on the way

As you can see, I could have studied better during my undergrad years. In my junior year, I only found the purpose of pursuing medicine when I signed a contract with the US Army in return for US citizenship. My transcript demonstrates drastic changes to the upside at this time until graduation.

At this time, I am not hopeful to get accepted to either MD or DO schools. Should I change my career away from medicine?

Thank you in advance for your input, and I genuinely appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you considered ORM or URM? Youre above some DO school cut offs for GPA and with your background of military service and multiple research publications I would say if you casted a wide enough net (>30 schools) that you may find some love.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily. Consider a 1-year masters program with linkage to a medical school (those programs usually come with guaranteed interview or acceptance if you do well). Otherwise, with your GPA unfortunately you likely won’t get in any other way.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Science GPA- 3.053/4.00
3 years of clinical research with several co-author papers and 1 first-author paper on the way

As you can see, I could have studied better during my undergrad years. In my junior year, I only found the purpose of pursuing medicine when I signed a contract with the US Army in return for US citizenship. My transcript demonstrates drastic changes to the upside at this time until graduation.

At this time, I am not hopeful to get accepted to either MD or DO schools. Should I change my career away from medicine?

Have you already applied this cycle ? Were you offered any DO interviews?
I think a broad application to DO schools is worth another try, and your military service and medic experience will be valued and set you apart from the average applicant

This is probably the wrong forum for this type of advice, but statistically your GPA and MCAT give you maybe a 15% chance of getting accepted into medical school. Your military background (and, potentially, ethnic background) may raise that percentage significantly.

When was the MCAT (recent or from a while ago) and could you reasonably expect a higher score on a repeat? Getting even a couple points higher would likely increase your chances a good bit.

Hello,

Science GPA- 3.053/4.00

Instead of giving up entirely in medicine. Consider other health care option. physician assistant is a good option. 2-2.5 years of school (instead of 4 years of medical school) and still in health care. You can do almost all aspect of healthcare as PA. With your credential. You may get in some developing program.

Reactions: 2 users
In my humble opinion, Your stats and experience give you a good chance with DO schools, especially the newer ones. You also served our country in uniform, which has the effects of adding like 5 points to your MCAT from what has been discussed on SDN in the past. MD programs are likely out of reach however. Recommend you apply broadly to DO schools and not give up. Post your stats in the What Are My Chances premed thread and you will get lots of feedback and recommendations.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily. Consider a 1-year masters program with linkage to a medical school (those programs usually come with guaranteed interview or acceptance if you do well). Otherwise, with your GPA unfortunately you likely won’t get in any other way.
Thank you for your input. Do you have any recommendations for the Masters program?

This is probably the wrong forum for this type of advice, but statistically your GPA and MCAT give you maybe a 15% chance of getting accepted into medical school. Your military background (and, potentially, ethnic background) may raise that percentage significantly.

When was the MCAT (recent or from a while ago) and could you reasonably expect a higher score on a repeat? Getting even a couple points higher would likely increase your chances a good bit.
It is from last year, and thus, I am contemplating whether to take it again or put my efforts into applying to DO schools or a Masters's program...

Instead of giving up entirely in medicine. Consider other health care option. physician assistant is a good option. 2-2.5 years of school (instead of 4 years of medical school) and still in health care. You can do almost all aspect of healthcare as PA. With your credential. You may get in some developing program.
Would certainly like to remain in medicine...

In my humble opinion, Your stats and experience give you a good chance with DO schools, especially the newer ones. You also served our country in uniform, which has the effects of adding like 5 points to your MCAT from what has been discussed on SDN in the past. MD programs are likely out of reach however. Recommend you apply broadly to DO schools and not give up. Post your stats in the What Are My Chances premed thread and you will get lots of feedback and recommendations.
Thanks for your feedback. Do you have any recommendations for these "newer" DO schools?

Have you completed all your prerequisites? Have you done any upper-level science courses? Have you considered one of the Masters in Medical Science programs where you are guaranteed an interview if you maintain a certain GPA, or other linkage programs?

I've merged your three active threads into a single thread.
around 3 and gradual increase to 3.1 towards the end
I think you misunderstood this question--it's not asking the trend of your overall GPA, since by the end it isn't going to move too much under the weight of all of the prior grades. But rather, if you took each individual year in a vacuum, what was your GPA in your freshman year, what was your GPA in your sophomore year, and so on? Because specifically, the grades in your last 30-60 credit hours are going to be looked at more closely by the schools that might be inclined to accept a "reinventor."

If you have a 3.7+ in your last 30ish credit hours, I think I would focus on retaking the MCAT now. If your last 30ish hours are not that great, then I think you need to seriously consider an SMP. There are a bunch of these, but essentially this isn't a "regular" masters, it is generally clearly labeled as a "Masters in Medical Sciences" or something similar that is targeted towards people trying to then go on to medical school (as opposed to an MS which is largely research-focused). The caveat is, make sure you're REALLY ready for an academically rigorous program because an SMP is essentially taught at a medical student level, and not doing well will likely close the door to medical school permanently. You also may still need to eventually retake the MCAT if you do the SMP, as the 501 is honestly very borderline no matter how you slice it.

Most importantly, realize that this is going to be a process. You're at least 1 year away from applying if you can immediately just take the MCAT, and at least 2 years away if you need to do the SMP. You have to be comfortable with knowing this is a long game where you have no certainty of success--but if you play your cards right, I do think you have a chance.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
OU-HCOM (your best chance)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
DUQCOM
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
WCU-COM
BUCOM
OCOM
LMU-DCOM
LUCOM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM
ICOM
TUNCOM
Also apply to your state MD schools-Toledo, Wright State and NEOMED
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your input. Do you have any recommendations for the Masters program?
There are plenty of them out there. Might require a little bit of research.

I went to ARCOM for medical school, and I know they have a 1 year biomedicine masters degree where you basically attend most classes with the 1st year medical students plus research, and they accept a lot of students from there for medical school. I think as long you pass all the classes with at least a B, you automatically get an interview or something similar. Check their website for more detail.

Attending these programs not only increases your chances for the affiliate medical school, but also for other medical schools. I know students that attended ARCOM’s masters program and are now at different medical schools. That’s if you can do well though; if you have a mediocre performance, it can also screw your chances for life.

I know KCU also has one similar masters program. Some MD schools also have such programs. Although, I really don’t know which ones do from the top of my head.

I've merged your three active threads into a single thread.

I think you misunderstood this question--it's not asking the trend of your overall GPA, since by the end it isn't going to move too much under the weight of all of the prior grades. But rather, if you took each individual year in a vacuum, what was your GPA in your freshman year, what was your GPA in your sophomore year, and so on? Because specifically, the grades in your last 30-60 credit hours are going to be looked at more closely by the schools that might be inclined to accept a "reinventor."

If you have a 3.7+ in your last 30ish credit hours, I think I would focus on retaking the MCAT now. If your last 30ish hours are not that great, then I think you need to seriously consider an SMP. There are a bunch of these, but essentially this isn't a "regular" masters, it is generally clearly labeled as a "Masters in Medical Sciences" or something similar that is targeted towards people trying to then go on to medical school (as opposed to an MS which is largely research-focused). The caveat is, make sure you're REALLY ready for an academically rigorous program because an SMP is essentially taught at a medical student level, and not doing well will likely close the door to medical school permanently. You also may still need to eventually retake the MCAT if you do the SMP, as the 501 is honestly very borderline no matter how you slice it.

Most importantly, realize that this is going to be a process. You're at least 1 year away from applying if you can immediately just take the MCAT, and at least 2 years away if you need to do the SMP. You have to be comfortable with knowing this is a long game where you have no certainty of success--but if you play your cards right, I do think you have a chance.
Thank you again for the helpful information.

So, to confirm, if I chose to go the 1-year SMP path that begins in the summer of 2024, I would have to apply for medical schools (DO and MD) in May and June of 2024 as well, correct? Or would this require me to wait until I graduate from SMP and have a final Master's program GPA? This would imply one gap year from SMP graduation to the beginning of med school. Could you please clarify? I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you again for the helpful information.

So, to confirm, if I chose to go the 1-year SMP path that begins in the summer of 2024, I would have to apply for medical schools (DO and MD) in May and June of 2024 as well, correct? Or would this require me to wait until I graduate from SMP and have a final Master's program GPA? This would imply one gap year from SMP graduation to the beginning of med school. Could you please clarify? I appreciate any help you can provide.
If you need the SMP then I would apply at the end of the SMP, with the possible exception of schools that your SMP may have linkages with. You would then have a gap year.

If you need the SMP then I would apply at the end of the SMP, with the possible exception of schools that your SMP may have linkages with. You would then have a gap year.
Do you think it is worthwhile to apply to DO schools and reapply to MD when SMP begins this summer with my current GPA and MCAT scores?