WAMC: sub 3.0 GPAs, 509 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flataffect001

Reaction score
(null)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
So you have all these numbers and lines but I can’t figure out what your cGPA is and what your sGPAis.
Did you include every grade you have ever earned in any college course? Even the ones you repeated? Grades are not replaced in AMCAS or AAOCOM. Did you add in your post bacc( I think you did a post bacc but I’m not sure.).

Reactions: 2 users
Your grades are too low. You have one decent year of grades (senior year) and you need more than that. You could do a one to 2 year post bacc at a local college and take enough undergraduate level science courses in order to raise your sGPA to 3.0 .
Once your cGPA is 3.0, you have a 75% chance for a MD acceptance with your MCAT of 509 according to the GPA-MCAT grid.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So you have all these numbers and lines but I can’t figure out what your cGPA is and what your sGPAis.
Did you include every grade you have ever earned in any college course? Even the ones you repeated? Grades are not replaced in AMCAS or AAOCOM. Did you add in your post bacc( I think you did a post bacc but I’m not sure.).
Yes, every last grade is included. As for postbacc, I did roughly 20 extra credits that have been rolled into my undergrad as i didn't apply to graduate from school until i completed them

Read my post on guide to reinvention for premeds
I'll take a gamble and apply to SMPs offered by schools I'd like to attend. I'm confident I'll do fine, especially if I leave my job.

Mom always said she'd be there for me during this process; I guess it's about time I let her.

Many thanks to you and all

Reactions: 1 user
Casting a net that includes schools that are likely to interview you is recommended.
This is true, but I've made up my mind; I'd much rather go somewhere that emphasises values in alignment with mine and whose attributes seem to earnestly reflect them than a place I'd dread going. It’s repeatedly noted that schools tend to accept students who embody similar tenets. Apropos of that, I would very much enjoy going to a school where my peers are more or less on the same page, and if I need to show that I can handle the work to do so, then show it, I shall.

Yes, master’s programs are high-risk and high reward; I am aware of the warning. Notwithstanding, this wouldn’t be the first time I wasn’t expected to succeed, but did anyway.

I drove to a DO school near my home this past Friday and spoke to the admissions director. She allowed me to tell her my story (which I’m so grateful for); afterwards, she told me I’d be a great applicant if my grades weren’t holding me back, but also that I shouldn’t squander the opportunity to go where my heart desires because of the student I used to be.

So onwards I go.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
I can't believe it's been a year since this thread started. I wanted to say I got 3 interview invites; 2 led to a WL so far, and one landed me an acceptance. Thanks for all your responses here and elsewhere on this site; they helped a ton.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I can't believe it's been a year since this thread started. I wanted to say I got 3 interview invites; 2 led to a WL so far, and one landed me an acceptance. Thanks for all your responses here and elsewhere on this site; they helped a ton.
Tell us how it worked out for you!

Congratulations !!! Where were your interviews and your acceptance ?