WAMC VETERAN URM SUB 3.0 GPA MCAT 509

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sodafight

Reaction score
I am applying right now and I guess someone named Goro has a good sense of schools for people reinventing themselves? I would appreciate anyones input.

1. high school dropout with sub 2.5 gpa in community college from 2008-2011, after service in military came back to cc in 2016 and have 3.4 gpa for undergrad since then.

2. 509 126chem 129 cars 126 bio 128 psych

3. CA resident but can also choose to claim WA instead/ citizen

4. half Mexican half middle eastern

5. UC Davis

6. volunteering in an annual trip with a doctor who runs free clinics in rural communities abroad. I go for about 10 days each time and gone four times so far

7. No pubs but I worked at Lawrence Berkeley National lab for a year and got a year of research done at UCD with a couple presentations and a solid understanding of the project and work I did.

8. shadowed a military doctor for 400+ hours a dentist for 8 hours and an internist for 40-60 hours

9. a lot of hours with a direct action group in East Oakland CA, haven't done the math but easily over 300 hours

10. I am former military, I am collegiate level wrestler and I was a TA for 2 semesters

11. not really

12. on my app I express my very non trad background and explain my GPA dip before military service, that I was a kid with undiagnosed ADHD trying to navigate coming up out of poverty and homelessness. after the military I went back to the same CC where my grades were F's, D's and W's with an occasional C and turned it around to mostly A to B+. I transferred to another cc sophomore year and had 3.7 in my big stem classes (O chem, Math, Physics) and then now at UC Davis I have a 3.4 for my junior and senior year. I'm an outsider to this whole thing and get mixed reviews on my chances. It would mean a lot to me for anyone to take a look and let me know what they think or if they know schools who will appreciate a come back kid.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Not to a native level, my primary language is my fathers but I am able to speak Spanish.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be able to receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
CHSU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM (both schools)
For MD schools you could try these:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
California University
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
TCU-UNT
Creighton
NOVA MD
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Einstein
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

You should be able to receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
CHSU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM (both schools)
For MD schools you could try these:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
California University
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
TCU-UNT
Creighton
NOVA MD
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Einstein
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Thank you so much Faha! Those MD schools are ones you think will be receptive to the overall story? Thanks again

Thank you so much Faha! Those MD schools are ones you think will be receptive to the overall story? Thanks again
It is more your Mexican American background and the fact that you can speak Spanish. Many of those schools are in areas with significant Hispanic populations.