WAMC/School List: URM Hispanic, 3.64 cGPA, 3.72 sGPA, 508 (MD/DO), FL resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I submitted my primary application in early July, currently awaiting verification. Ideal goal is MD, however I scored lower than goal on MCAT and am scared that I'm not competitive for many MD schools because of it due to my GPA. Will apply both MD/DO. sGPA breakdown depends on what AMCAS classifies my Engineering courses. I listed many of my Engineering-categorized courses as BCPM (courses like Circuit Analysis, Transport Phenomena, Applied Mechanics, Calculus for Engineering, Materials Science, Biomaterials, Numerical Analysis, Signals & Systems, two anatomy/physiology courses that are under a different name). If they agree with my classifications, my sGPA is 3.7+. If not, my sGPA is around 3.5.
  1. cGPA: 3.64, sGPA: 3.72 (Strong upward trend for both. 3.07 cGPA freshman -> 3.88 cGPA senior; 2.88 sGPA freshman -> 3.96 sGPA senior)
  2. MCAT: 508 (128/125/127/128)
  3. Florida resident
  4. URM white, hispanic male, Cuban. LGBT (unsure if this counts as URM)
Current list:
Florida schools:
- FIU
- FSU
- Nova
- UCF
- UoF
- Miami
Family affiliated:
- Drexel
- Duke
- Colorado
- California University of Medical Sciences
LGBT friendly:
- UPenn
- Yale
- Harvard
- University of Vermont
- BU
- Stanford
- SKMC
- U Chicago
- Northwestern
- JHU

Thank you so much to anyone who can take the time to provide some feedback. It is beyond appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT of 508 is not competitive for the majority of OOS MD schools on your list. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Miami
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
NOVA
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
CCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
TUCOM-CA
WESTERN
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM

I like your application profile, but I am interested in your purpose as a physician and what you want to be doing in 10 years.

Have you connected with mentors representing the LMSA at the schools on your list?

Have you connected with Medical Student Pride Alliance? They have a list of schools with affiliated chapters to cross-check with your list.

Check how engineering friendly the schools on your list are. I don't know if part of your purpose is to continue with the expertise gained from your biomedical engineering projects and courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT of 508 is not competitive for the majority of OOS MD schools on your list. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Miami
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
NOVA
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
CCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
TUCOM-CA
WESTERN
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
Thank you so, so much for this. I will definitely add to my list and adjust accordingly.

I like your application profile, but I am interested in your purpose as a physician and what you want to be doing in 10 years.
I'm sorry for the delayed response. I wanted to reflect and give a full response to paint a better picture of my case. Thank you for your time

Regarding my purpose: A common theme I've found among my experiences and what I wrote in my reflections involve caring for the elderly, caring for mental health, and wanting to care for marginalized communities (low-income families, immigrants, LGBT community). My whole family is involved in medicine (mom is nurse practitioner, dad is nurse, brother is surgeon); however, I struggled a lot academically in my younger years so I never thought it was an option for me. In my disadvantaged and personal statements, I touched on my struggles growing up gay since my family didn't accept homosexuality. One of my siblings is also mentally ill, I wrote some about growing up with that dynamic. Mentioned my parents being immigrants and after they divorced my mom struggled for years to care for our family. My mom started a home-health agency while I was in HS, to help her with the agency I volunteered in patients homes. That's when I interacted a lot with the elderly, a lot of them were depressed and very lonely. I enjoyed assisting them & keeping them company which is what piqued my initial interest in healthcare. A large talking point in my personal statement was my grandfather's death during my sophomore year in college. He died in an accident, the doctor that consoled us & the impact he had on us (especially consoling my grandma) was a turning point that inspired me to really pursue medicine. Up to that point, I used video games as an outlet which led to an interest in computers. I then majored in BME as I thought it blended my interests in technology and medicine nicely. This is when my academics started to improve.

My other experiences related back to these 3 things often.

Capstone project: Device focused on facilitating hip replacement recovery providing alternate method of physical therapy. I reflected on my grandmother's hip replacement and the obstacles she faced during recovery with traveling to PT appointments as an elderly woman. Reflected on what I did as well as the potential for such a device to improve patient outcomes
Live streaming: I had a diverse audience/community, but focused on my LGBT audience. Some were struggling a lot coming to terms with their identities in their living situations. They said my stream was a safe-space for them, they loved the community around it. I chose to focus on this part of my audience as I reflected on how this made me feel and my own struggles navigating mental health and life as a closeted teenager
Volunteer work w/ low-income families/STEM student outreach: I reflected on the families I helped, some of which I bonded with due to my own experiences growing up in an immigrant family. Also reflected on spreading awareness of STEM to younger students & providing resources to underserved students to explore STEM topics further

I don't know if part of your purpose is to continue with the expertise gained from your biomedical engineering projects and courses.

I did not explicitly write about wanting to continue with it, though I do think it's a unique perspective and experience I would love to talk about and offer as a doctor. I did write about how I loved generating innovations to healthcare obstacles (it's what BME is though... so I don't know if I did much by writing this! lol). I discussed how my decision to pursue being a doctor was not always linear. I fully decided on becoming a doctor after my volunteer work at the clinic, my Capstone project, & my shadowing experiences. I found that I loved directly connecting with & caring for patients, as opposed to the more distant approach I experienced in Engineering.

What I want to be doing in 10 years: I'd like to see myself providing medical care perhaps in a family practice setting to provide general care to low-income or underrepresented communities. One of the physicians I shadow is a family practice (Internal Medicine) and I'm really inspired by his work. He cares for a wide variety of patients, and they really appreciate him and consider him family. I admire his approach and the relationships he has with his patients. I think I'd like to do something similar in the future.

Have you connected with mentors representing the LMSA at the schools on your list?

No, I have not. I did not know this existed! Is it too late for me to do this? How would you suggest I approach them?

Have you connected with Medical Student Pride Alliance? They have a list of schools with affiliated chapters to cross-check with your list.

No, I have not. I also did not know this existed. I'm seeing that some of the schools I have listed do have affiliated chapters. I will definitely note this.

Check how engineering friendly the schools on your list are.

How would I be able to measure this? I know that some schools are known for having a focus on engineering. Do I just read the missions of schools and see if it sounds engineering-like? (I apologize if this is a dumb question...)

---

Thanks so much again. I apologize for the length of this message.. I just thought it would help if I wrote some of my background story

Last edited:
Cubans are well represented in American medicine. LGBT are considered URM at some schools. MCW is one. I know if this will give you enough of a boost for UCSF, JHU or U Chicago, though.

I suggest:
Albany
Drexel
EVMS
Gtown
GWU
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
NEOMED
Netter
Nova MD
Oakland-B
Rosy Franklin
Rush
SLU
TCU
Temple
Tulane
U ILL
U VM
U WI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Your state school(s).

Any DO program. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, ARCOM, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Regarding my purpose: A common theme I've found among my experiences and what I wrote in my reflections involve caring for the elderly, caring for mental health, and wanting to care for marginalized communities (low-income families, immigrants, LGBT community). ...
Have you applied to NHSC? Would you consider HPSP? How many of your programs has an AHEC office associated with it? You should be involved with SNMA as well as LMSA. If you aren't, you will be.

If your MCAT scores were higher, I would have pointed out Carle Illinois and Texas A&M EnMed. Otherwise, I would see which medical schools have affiliated faculty with the university's school of engineering and the types of projects those faculty do. You should already have an idea based on the research you have already done and conferences where you may have presented your work. Granted if your scores were a lot higher, it would justify some of your LGBT friendly (and reach) schools on your list, but a 508 is a challenge without a real significant mission fit.

Just wrapped up my cycle. Thank you to everyone who gave their advice. I applied very broadly and finished the cycle with 12 IIs (including an II to Duke!!) and will be matriculating to University of Wisconsin-Madison in the Fall. Thanks so much for your guidance and for helping me carve out my school list ❤️❤️

• Love
Reactions: 3 users