WAMC/School List (3.64, 506, URM, FL Resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on whether I should retake MCAT, or if not how should I go about creating my school list or anything I should add to my application. Looking to stay in FL but not in the position to be picky. PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE

3.641 cGPA / 3.658 sGPA - Upward trend (3.47, 3.64, 3.86, 4.0)

Have some dual enrollment credits from HS that bring my overall down, otherwise would be 3.71

506 MCAT (125/125/127/129) - Is it worth a retake?? Really split about this

FL resident, FL Public School

B.S in Biological sciences / Natural and applied sciences

URM (Hispanic), low SES

**Research:**

1.5 years research in developmental psychology interviewing participants from ages 4-7 about their perceptions on experts (police officers, doctors, vets) - parents would leave the room and I would go through certain scenarios and stories with the children and ask specific questions and note their opinions and thoughts. Super longitudal study so no publications or posters

6 months research in nanomedicine/immunology at my undergrads medical school - Bench work, I would grow/culture various cancer cells and then run various assays for a nanogel synthesized for HIV treatment. Had to stop due to graduating and moving back home, so no pubs or posters.

**Leadership/Extracurriculars:**

Member then community service chair and later president for a pre-health organization, All of undergrad - Was a member since freshmen year, became community service chair junior year, then president my senior year. Was for all pre-health professions so we held clean-ups at zoos and beaches, workshops and visits from podiatrists, dentists, physicians, PAs, and veterinarians. We organized numerous volunteering, shadowing and research opportunities for our members and held our own events as well.

Programming committee member of a pre-medical organization, 3+ years - Struggling to separate activities as I did so much volunteering/events within the organization. Relay for life, dance marathons, fundraisers, food drives, workshops, and a lot more. 100% of money raised is donated directly to our local non-profit children’s hospital, raising around $60,000 each year. As apart of the programming committee I would help with planning and running our fundraisers and events.

**Clinical Experience:**

~2000 hours as a medical assistant and scribe for vascular surgery, treating venous insuffiency/reflux, venous ulcers, varicose veins and more - large Hispanic population, I spend a lot of the time translating for patients, interpreting for the doctor and much more. I do everything from patient intake/vitals, wound care, pre-op/post-op instructions, scribing, circulating and scrubbing in for some procedures, etc.

**Non-clinical Work Experience:**

2600 hours work-study during my first 2 years of college as a financial aid agent for my university assisting students with any questions about financial aid/resolving any issues. Had to work during school but saved enough to stop my final year to focus on raising GPA.

**Non-clinical Volunteering:**

Biochemistry LA ~50 hours

>50 hours volunteering teaching STEM topics and conducting experiments together to children in underserved areas alongside medical students from my undergraduates medical school

Medical mission trip to the Dominican Republic volunteering and shadowing at rural trauma hospitals and doing at home check-ups to extremely underserved areas where healthcare is inaccessible with local physicians - week long, about 60 hours in total.

In reality much more, just in the process of finding out how to separate these experiences from ones from organizations and leadership.

**Shadowing:**

30 hours Primary Care

15 hours virtual during COVID

(Can I use some of the hours from scribing/MA with vascular surgery here?)

Other: Apart of premed pipeline program with my undergrads medical school for underrepresented students, deans list sophomore year → senior year

No doctors in family, First gen in college, really lost on how to move forward with school list and would appreciate help on any guidance. Currently using MSAR as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums.

A 506 for UiM candidates is low for MD, definitely okay for DO. What pipeline/academic enrichment program did you participate in? Have you joined a mentoring program for aspiring Hispanic/Latinx physicians?

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the forums.

A 506 for UiM candidates is low for MD, definitely okay for DO. What pipeline/academic enrichment program did you participate in? Have you joined a mentoring program for aspiring Hispanic/Latinx physicians?
Thanks so much for your response.
Without doxxing myself too much, its a continuous program that follows me all the way until matriculation to medical school. They provide mentoring, PS editing, workshops and more. It's a program for students that are least represented in medicine, so as far as mentoring that is what I am currently involved with. I'm meeting with them soon as I just got back my MCAT score.

Would a retake be feasible this cycle? Or would I be better served gearing up the rest of my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Get feedback from your mentoring team about the MCAT. Being part of such a program can help you with a school list that may maximize your opportunities for an offer. If you have an application that highlights how you bring life experiences that can help patients, that may help you. I would be interested if they felt similarly. They know you better and have a deeper investment to get you into medical school. They should help with secondary essays and Other Impactful Experiences but connect with me through an appointment if they don't.

You can request access to Becoming a Student Doctor for free since you are part of a long-term mentoring organization. We can engage in private conversations then.

MD schools that can take lower MCATs near your scores generally include the HBCUs and the MSI schools in Puerto Rico. Some of your in-state schools might also, but I don't know if the situation with state politics and DEI support is going to affect you long-term without a change in leadership.

Last edited:
You can assign 20 hours of your scribing to shadowing. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Florida State
U Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Miami
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Belmont
Also apply to your Florida DO schools-NOVA, LECOM-Bradenton, OCOM, BCOM and LECOM may be opening a new school in Jacksonville.
If you retake the MCAT doe not retake unless your practice scores are consistently 510+.

Get feedback from your mentoring team about the MCAT. Being part of such a program can help you with a school list that may maximize your opportunities for an offer. If you have an application that highlights how you bring life experiences that can help patients, that may help you. I would be interested if they felt similarly. They know you better and have a deeper investment to get you into medical school. They should help with secondary essays and Other Impactful Experiences but connect with me through an appointment if they don't.

You can request access to Becoming a Student Doctor for free since you are part of a long-term mentoring organization. We can engage in private conversations then.

MD schools that can take lower MCATs near your scores generally include the HBCUs and the MSI schools in Puerto Rico. Some of your in-state schools might also, but I don't know if the situation with state politics and DEI support is going to affect you long-term without a change in leadership.
Thanks again for your input and help. I met with them and they agreed that my MCAT score can get my foot in the door with some interviews at MD schools, however obviously I would have more confidence and chances with a higher score. I know that I can do much better, I'm planning on leaving my full-time MA/Scribe position to fully focus on studying and my application as I did this studying part-time at night and weekends. They are fully supportive through all of this and are helping as much as they can. Thank you again, I'll be sure to update this as I move along.

You can assign 20 hours of your scribing to shadowing. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Florida State
U Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Miami
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Belmont
Also apply to your Florida DO schools-NOVA, LECOM-Bradenton, OCOM, BCOM and LECOM may be opening a new school in Jacksonville.
If you retake the MCAT doe not retake unless your practice scores are consistently 510+.
This is extremely helpful, thanks so much!