WAMC/School list help - Prepping for reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

immapickle7

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

It's hard to say if your clinical experience was deficient with 2000+ hours documented when you submitted your application (job responsibilities?).

It is easy to see your non-clinical experience was lacking. Most of your hours focused on being a youth soccer coach (230 over 6 years) with 12 hours of working at a food bank (4 years ago?). You must have 150 hours of service orientation activities upon submission to avoid getting screened out at most schools. The fact you got IIs from two in-states means your state residency helped you, but it didn't get you far with ECU (which is very service-oriented towards rural and underserved communities). We will see if UNC can still claim you given your research.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the forums.

It's hard to say if your clinical experience was deficient with 2000+ hours documented when you submitted your application (job responsibilities?).

It is easy to see your non-clinical experience was lacking. Most of your hours focused on being a youth soccer coach (230 over 6 years) with 12 hours of working at a food bank (4 years ago?). You must have 150 hours of service orientation activities upon submission to avoid getting screened out at most schools. The fact you got IIs from two in-states means your state residency helped you, but it didn't get you far with ECU (which is very service-oriented towards rural and underserved communities). We will see if UNC can still claim you given your research.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is an example for which people often need to be prepared when they apply, rather "preparING" while they're applying. The application year I often think as a dead year because it usually doesn't move the needle all that much and a lot of people come in with everyone done rather than finishing during the application cycle. I agree with Mr.Smile12, really gotta increase your community experiences. I think I'd probably cast a larger net of MD schools for sure.

So in whole: stats not bad, worked as an MA, a publication. Not sure which ones you chose as impactful events, but I omitted the rest because it didn't really sway me as a impactful activity. With that, yeah I think there needs to be a little more going on that are service based.

Also, lets make sure there aren't any other liabilities, such as letters, personal statement, etc. I take it that you've had feedback and insight on them?

You should accumulate 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (food bank, homeless shelter, etc.) before you reapply.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
ECU
UNC
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
NOVA MD
Belmont
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)

This is an example for which people often need to be prepared when they apply, rather "preparING" while they're applying. The application year I often think as a dead year because it usually doesn't move the needle all that much and a lot of people come in with everyone done rather than finishing during the application cycle. I agree with Mr.Smile12, really gotta increase your community experiences. I think I'd probably cast a larger net of MD schools for sure.

So in whole: stats not bad, worked as an MA, a publication. Not sure which ones you chose as impactful events, but I omitted the rest because it didn't really sway me as a impactful activity. With that, yeah I think there needs to be a little more going on that are service based.

Also, lets make sure there aren't any other liabilities, such as letters, personal statement, etc. I take it that you've had feedback and insight on them?

Last edited:
Focus on your non-clinical hours and school list first and foremost.

If you feel your secondaries and/or Work and Activities need help, start on that now so that way you're not stressed as we approach application season.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I received feedback on personal statement and some other essays. However, I did not have as many people edit my PS this past cycle as I should have and plan to have many more edit mine for the upcoming cycle. I also feel like my overall writing could be improved.
What feedback did you get? Did you use our volunteers?

You can still write some great essays, but work and activities still count in screening. That's where you are deficient as noted earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.