WAMC/School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barbiedoc07

Reaction score
I'm a career changer and first time applicant that just finished my post-bacc, and my advisor basically told me that making school lists is out of his wheelhouse (lol). Here's stats/activities and what I have so far:

Female, White, OK resident. Nontrad with a background in investment banking/finance before medicine.

T10 undergrad (double liberal arts major, no science classes), graduated 2022 - cGPA: 3.723

Formal post-bacc @ well-known/rigorous school that has a strong reputation for pre-meds–
overall BCPM GPA (including undergrad math classes): 3.84; AMCAS cGPA: 3.83 with undergrad and post-bacc!

MCAT: 512! Working full time in a direct patient care role at a Children's hospital for gap year.

Activities:
  1. Research - 2,300 hours (full time clinical research coordinator w/ leadership role at T5 med school), 2 pubs in progress. **most meaningful**
  2. Clinical volunteering - 250 hours (free clinics, hands-on), 100+ hours in local ED anticipated for gap year **most meaningful**
  3. Non-clinical volunteering - 300 hours (advocacy for kids in foster care)
  4. Leadership - 1000 hours (sorority president, made major national changes for equity in the org) **most meaningful**
  5. Paid clinical employment - 700 hours (scribe in a busy surgical practice full-time for a summer); will be a FT clinical assistant in a Children's hospital in the same specialty for my gap year)
  6. shadowing - 75 hours, 25+ anticipated (variety of specialties)
  7. Teaching assistant - 125 hours (gen chem I/II lecture and lab)
  8. EC's/other non-clinical employment - 775 (finance internship, undergrad journal of gynecology)
School List (so far).... I am willing to apply to up to 27. Any advice is so appreciated!

University of Oklahoma (IS)
Rush
Tulane
Wake Forest
Loyola Chicago
Penn State
UMN - living and working in MN for gap year
University of Vermont
Tufts
UMiami
New York Medical College
Dartmouth
Temple
Drexel
Brown
Cincinatti
George Washington
Georgetown
VCU
Thomas Jefferson
UCSF
Creighton
Case Western
Duke
Stanford
WashU
UChicago

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!

The school list is appropriately ambitious. Were any schools suggested from your postbac program faculty?

Are you intending to apply back to Oklahoma? They are not on your list though you are an in-state applicant (right?). If you grew up for most of your childhood in Oklahoma, you should consider including it unless you are set not to live in Oklahoma.

Welcome to the forums!

The school list is appropriately ambitious. Were any schools suggested from your postbac program faculty?

Are you intending to apply back to Oklahoma? They are not on your list though you are an in-state applicant (right?). If you grew up for most of your childhood in Oklahoma, you should consider including it unless you are set not to live in Oklahoma.
I am! Initially felt like I might not be a fit there, but I think that was just my own bias since I left home for college. It's 100% back on the list!