WAMC/School List Help (FL Resident Non-Trad URM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pink5diva

Reaction score
Hi all... just got my mcat score back and I haven't stopped crying lol (i'm dramatic)

- Non-trad applicant, FL resident, URM
- MCAT total: 502 (123/126/126/127) **my CP has never been that low on any practice exam, however I did run out of time on test day leaving 6+ questions blank and it's been eating at me**
- went to FSU for undergrad
- Undergrad GPA ~2.5
- Postbacc GPA (did 15 credits at a university), finished w/ a 3.8
- did an SMP program in hard sciences (biomedical science), graduated w/ a 3.8 GPA
- clinical experience: 3000 hours
- volunteering/community service: ~150 hours
- shadowing experience: 50+ hours

My dream dream dream school is Virginia Commonwealth (did a 6-week summer program at their med school last summer) HOWEVER they have a strict 503 mcat minimum and i'm so so so sad but ultimately would just love to get in this cycle, MD is my goal but feeling extremely defeated at this point and also I am very open to DO.... should i retake my MCAT????

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro hey Goro, you previously gave me advice about pursuing an SMP program and taking the MCAT afterwards... would love some advice now when I am #down bad

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't spoken to anyone at my SMP because I just have been super beat up about this since this morning.

A lot of students succeed to schools like Howard, Nova DO, LMU, Meharry (just some i've seen off the top of my head)

You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats but you will need to apply broadly and I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
NOVA
OCOM
BCOM (both schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
LUCOM
BUCOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
Noorda-COM
ICOM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
KHSC-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
For MD you could try Florida State

Retake. How were you doing on your practice exams?
1-2 points below my overall, but my CP section was always 125+ however I didn’t finish on actual test day. If I retake, when is a reasonable time to retake it and still apply this cycle?

If you're gunning for the MD, then yes, you need to retake the MCAT. Cubans and Peruvians are well represented in American Medicine.

I suggest:
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
MCW
NEOMED
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Your state schools

Any DO program, except the Touros, AZCOM and CCOM, for whom your MCAT is too low. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

If you're gunning for the MD, then yes, you need to retake the MCAT. Cubans and Peruvians are well represented in American Medicine.

I suggest:
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
MCW
NEOMED
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Your state schools

Any DO program, except the Touros, AZCOM and CCOM, for whom your MCAT is too low. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.
Thank you, Goro! Is there a timeline of when to retake the MCAT and still apply this cycle??