WAMC---Non-Trad, IN Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EbolaConstrictor

Reaction score
-cGPA:3.00 (170 cr)
-sGPA:3.41 (92 cr)

I attempted a BS in 2013-14 and just ended up being too immature and not ready for college so I withdrew after one year but it wrecked my GPA. Since then I obtained an associates as a paramedic but just kept a C+ average for that. As a paramedic, I never truly felt fulfilled and wanted to get back to what I started all those years ago. So I enrolled back into a four-year in 2021 to get a B.S. in Biology. Before Fall 2021 my cGPA was 2.22 (86 cr) and my science was 1.62 (19 cr). I have Physics II this summer but otherwise, I'll graduate with a bio BS and a chem AS. My GPA for that institution is 3.86. I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished and shown since 2013.

My MCAT is scheduled for the end of June but my FL practice on blueprint has been in the 503-505 range
505 (126,128,126,125) most recent

-I'm from Indiana
-White male
-Small 4-year state school, part of a larger state school system that begins with P.
-CNA-1500 hrs
-EMT then Paramedic- 13-14000 hrs
-Did a literature review with a poster for a semester project so maybe 30-40 hrs of research
-I'm joining a microbiology lab in the fall and should be there for about 4-6 hrs a week for two semesters so about 150 hrs
-33 hours shadowing (ED, Anesthesia, Surgery)
-no real non-clinical volunteering other than maybe 4-5 hrs for the biology club
-Regularly volunteering with an under/uninsured clinic I've done 15 hrs so far, double that by the end of the year
-I'm starting micro tutoring in the fall, I've worked and still do work full-time as a paramedic
-Graduating magna cum laude, I've been on the deans/semesters honors list the whole time at my most recent school

GPA breakdown by school and years at school
-1st school, no degree (c1.23,s1.70)(2013-2014)
-2014-2017 I just worked in landscaping, as a dietary aide in a nursing home, and as a CNA
-2nd school, associates (c2.55,s1.94)(2017-2021)
-3rd school, bachelors and associates (c3.86,s3.86)(2021-Present)

School List (need help)
-IU
-Rosy
-Toledo
-AT Still
-Marian
-MSU (MD/DO?)

I'm enrolled to do a 4+1 BS/MS in my current school because the MS tuition is relatively inexpensive and staying will get me the tutoring time, research experience, and LORs.

Members don't see this ad.

Post your MCAT score here when available and I will suggest schools. When are you planning to apply ?
I might sneak in this cycle. I know that late MCAT is kinda like putting a rock in your shoe before a run. I think financially I’ll be fine to apply to 2024-25 and 2025-26.

Members don't see this ad :)
Short feedback: not sure about Toledo since they highly prefer Ohio residents and border Michiganders, but you can reach out to them and see. (Indiana's not that far away.)

I would check out the "directional" Michigan schools (Western Michigan, Central Michigan) if you are more from rural areas of Indiana; if you are more urban, consider the Detroit schools (Wayne State, Beaumont Oakland). I'd throw in MSU both MD and DO as potential stretches. It depends on MCAT of course, but consider those schools. (Maybe the two Kentucky schools???)

Reactions: 1 user
Short feedback: not sure about Toledo since they highly prefer Ohio residents and border Michiganders, but you can reach out to them and see. (Indiana's not that far away.)

I would check out the "directional" Michigan schools (Western Michigan, Central Michigan) if you are more from rural areas of Indiana; if you are more urban, consider the Detroit schools (Wayne State, Beaumont Oakland). I'd throw in MSU both MD and DO as potential stretches. It depends on MCAT of course, but consider those schools. (Maybe the two Kentucky schools???)
I’ll try not to give away my location but I’m about 90ish minutes away from Toledo. Idk if that matters much but they’re second closest big city to me. I’ll look at the Michigan schools, I’m from a rural area. My mom, and sister were both born in Michigan and they both live there now so I have half-way decent ties to the state. I’m from that tri-state area.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll try not to give away my location but I’m about 90ish minutes away from Toledo. Idk if that matters much but they’re second closest big city to me. I’ll look at the Michigan schools, I’m from a rural area. My mom, and sister were both born in Michigan and they both live there now so I have half-way decent ties to the state. I’m from that tri-state area.
Okay. For sure, check out the suggested schools where you have more options (in Michigan and Ohio compared to Indiana) and wouldn't be that far away from family.