WAMC/school list help: CA ORM sGPA 3.94, 517

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d4f

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!

Your only nonclinical service orientation activity is the food pantry experience. You need 150 hours to avoid getting screened out at most schools. If your are going for brand schools, you should aspire for 250 before applying. Service oriented schools like Rush and many Catholics will want more commitment (600-800 hours minimum).

You don't list advocacy activities in your profile. If this is the case, that may limit you with schools that may expect that.

Check your public schools. I don't get Arizona-Phoenix, Illinois (most expensive OOS), Vermont, Virginia Tech Carillon, West Virginia, Western Michigan. Many of these also cater to rural communities which I don't sense you have experience.

Why be a physician? I see you have checked most boxes, but among 50K applications, why should a school take you?

DO only if you want to, not as a desperate move. They can tell you would consider them backups, based on what you have disclosed.

Last edited:
I suggest these OOS MD schools with your stats:
Tufts
Boston University
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Duke
USF Morsani
Miami
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Washington University
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Mayo

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the forums!

Your only nonclinical service orientation activity is the food pantry experience. You need 150 hours to avoid getting screened out at most schools. If your are going for brand schools, you agile aspire for 250 before applying. Service oriented schools like Rush and many Catholics will want more commitment (600-800 hours minimum).

You don't list advocacy activities in your profile. If this is the case, that may limit you with schools that may expect that.

Check your public schools. I don't get Arizona-Phoenix, Illinois (most expensive OOS), Vermont, Virginia Tech Carillon, West Virginia, Western Michigan. Many of these also cater to rural communities which I don't sense you have experience.

Why be a physician? I see you have checked most boxes, but among 50K applications, why should a school take you?

DO only if you want to, not as a desperate move. They can tell you would consider them backups, based on what you have disclosed.
Hi Mr. Smile,
here's my final school list. do you think it may be too top-heavy? also, I'm getting my service hours up, which will probably be 200 hours by the time of application.

Last edited:
Referring @youmatter:) to the articles

(I'm confused... are you the OP with a different avatar login? You didn't address my questions.)

What is the nature of your community service (200 hours)? What are you doing? Who benefits and how? What impact is made on the community?

Hours only give me a sense of which applicant pool best fits you, but what your impact was tells me how well you could fit with the brand-name schools. Why should that school take you over someone with more hours? I do not see compelling reasons for Duke, Stanford, or Mayo.

Referring @youmatter:) to the articles

(I'm confused... are you the OP with a different avatar login? You didn't address my questions.)

What is the nature of your community service (200 hours)? What are you doing? Who benefits and how? What impact is made on the community?

Hours only give me a sense of which applicant pool best fits you, but what your impact was tells me how well you could fit with the brand-name schools. Why should that school take you over someone with more hours? I do not see compelling reasons for Duke, Stanford, or Mayo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. The description helps, and I hope you are healing well. It gives me a better sense where you want to aim for medical school.

Start looking up the secondaries of the schools to get an idea of what they value.