MD WAMC/School List CA ORM 514 4.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

da27

Reaction score
  1. GPA: 4.0 at T20 Undergrad
  2. 514 (127/128/130/129)
  3. CA ORM
  4. Clinical:
    1. One year, ~400 hours medical scribe, underserved population.
    2. ~150 hours volunteering answering nurse calls for patients/walking patients to surgery room/walking families to visit patients in post-op.
    3. ~75 hours doing event medicine at large sports games/concerts, answering emergency calls alongside EMT
  5. Research: 3 years, ~500 hours, middle author on one abstract and one poster (but did not present poster), one presentation (not poster) for undergrad research event.
  6. ~50 hours shadowing, three specialties. Also ~80 hours virtual shadowing but idk if that counts.
  7. Non-clinical volunteering: ~200 hours tutoring/helping out at local underserved elementary & high school over summers in hometown.
  8. Leadership:
    1. Significant advocacy work with national organization, president of my school's chapter, worked w/ legislators to lower pharmaceutical prices ~600 hours.
    2. VP of another club at my school aimed at promoting intersectionality in medicine, hosts big annual conference on campus ~500 hours.
    3. Leadership role in tutoring program focused on teaching gen chem/ochem equitably ~200 hours.
    4. Floor rep of residence hall government for 3 years, plans events to promote community building. ~200 hours.
  9. Gap year full time job: Working at my UG's medical school assisting PIs in attaining grants from the NIH to fund their research.
Looking for any advice on my school list! I feel like it is too top-heavy also with too many low-yields, so if anyone can suggest any schools I'm missing I would really appreciate it. I'm not sure how much my GPA might help compensate for my MCAT at schools with higher MCAT averages.

School List, from highest MCAT average to lowest:
Duke (only applying because multiple people from my advocacy org have gotten in in the past, still might take it off)
Stanford (only bc my dad wants me to, ik it's a donation)
Boston University
UCSF
Brown
USC
Kaiser
Emory
Pitt
UCI
UCSD
Dartmouth
Einstein
UCLA
UMiami
Tufts
NYMC
Georgetown
Thomas Jefferson– SKMC
California University
California Northstate
Chicago Medical School– Rosalind Franklin
VCU
SLU
George Washington
Drexel
UC Davis
Temple
Loyola Chicago
UC Riverside

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any non-clinical community service (not tutoring) you have done while a college student? I see advocacy and working with underserved populations, but I'm unsure about service orientation independent of healthcare. Nothing that is food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation? Having zero hours will screen you out at most medical schools regardless of your metrics.

California Northstate has accreditation issues. Your non clinical volunteering hours are far too low for Loyola and Georgetown. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Rochester
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
USF Morsani
Miami
TCU
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Belmont
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any non-clinical community service (not tutoring) you have done while a college student? I see advocacy and working with underserved populations, but I'm unsure about service orientation independent of healthcare. Nothing that is food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation? Having zero hours will screen you out at most medical schools regardless of your metrics
Does the school volunteering not count? I had no idea, thank you for letting me know. Now that I think of it, I mean I have done some volunteering with a religious organization. Very scattered, ~100 hours, mostly me attending single events and not necessarily a weekly commitment. But we passed out food and blankets/other items to the homeless population in a big city nearby. Is that something I should include? I also have the next two months to hopefully build upon that.

California Northstate has accreditation issues. Your non clinical volunteering hours are far too low for Loyola and Georgetown. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Rochester
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
USF Morsani
Miami
TCU
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Belmont
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Thank you for the suggestions!

Does the school volunteering not count? I had no idea, thank you for letting me know. Now that I think of it, I mean I have done some volunteering with a religious organization. Very scattered, ~100 hours, mostly me attending single events and not necessarily a weekly commitment. But we passed out food and blankets/other items to the homeless population in a big city nearby. Is that something I should include? I also have the next two months to hopefully build upon that.
Your descriptions point to leadership or advocacy, and what you have done in-person to address others' needs is not clear. However, doing work without the auspices of being involved with a campus club better shows your personal motivation to service.

If you can build on your religious organization work, get it up to 150 hours before submission to avoid getting screened out.