[WAMC/School List] CA 3.9 GPA 518 MCAT, Mediocre ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kloopy7

Reaction score
Hi there. Although my app isn't perfect (shadowing and non-clinical experience aren't amazing), I am hoping to avoid reapplying or a gap year at all costs due to financial and other personal reasons. For this reason, I want to apply very broadly, even if it means not applying to a ton of higher-ranked schools at the price of more security. I am a FAP recipient so I'll be able to apply to around 35-40 schools. I am a little scared of yield-protection at lower-ranked schools (I know opinions on its existence vary), so I tried to target my school list to mid-tiers. Slight geographical preference to avoid the northeast but not super picky given my needs.
  1. 3.98 sGPA / 3.98 cGPA
  2. 518 (131/129/129/129)
  3. CA, traditional applicant (no gap years), no OOS ties.
  4. ORM (White)
  5. UC undergrad
  6. Clinical experience: 475 hours paid work at hospital COVID testing site, 100 hours hospital volunteering
  7. Research: ~250 hours as a research assistant, mostly directed toward a single research project. No pubs, conference abstract not expected until July after I apply
  8. Shadowing is weak. 16 hours with a pediatrician, and 14 hours virtual EM shadowing
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~100 hours at Crisis Text Line, 40 hours at an elementary school science outreach program where I led mini-experiments for students, 10 hours as a university peer mentor
  10. Running as a hobby on my app, but that’s it
  11. Other info: SES disadvantaged (FAP recipient) and immigrant from Middle East + first-gen college student, and a lot of my primary/PS is focused on tying my own experiences with barriers to access to my activities and my goals. I think I have a decent narrative because of this.
Current list (38 schools, sorted by average MCAT):
CA SCHOOLS
Stanford
UC San Franscisco
USC - Keck
UC San Diego
Kaiser
UC Irvine
UCLA
CUSM
UC Davis
UC Riverside

OOS SCHOOLS
Vanderbilt
Wash U St. Louis
Johns Hopkins
Mayo (Alix)
Case Western Reserve
Duke
Boston University
Emory
University of Arizona Phoenix
Stony Brook
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
Creighton
UCF (Central Florida)
Saint Louis University
Jefferson (Sidney Kimmel)
U Maryland
Hackensack Meridian
EVMS
Virginia Commonwealth University
George Washington Univ
Utah
Loyola University Chicago Stritch
Drexel
Virginia Tech
MCW
Tulane
TCU & UNTH Science Center
University of Virginia

Members don't see this ad.

Utah and Virginia Tech admit few applicants with no connection to the state or region. You could add these schools:
Western Michigan
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai