[WAMC/School List] CA, 3.27 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 507 MCAT upward trend + formal post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dubucoffee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    • cGPA = 3.27 overall, 3.15 Undergrad, 3.8 Post-Bacc
    • sGPA = 3.0 overall, 2.76 Undergrad, 3.8 Post-Bacc
    • Upward trend from 2.7 cGPA, 2.4 sGPA freshman year to 3.8 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA post-bacc
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 507 - C/P 124 | CARS 129 | BB 126 | P/S 128
    • Retake in May, didn't have nearly enough time during PTO for MCAT to practice C/P + BB nor study P/S :(
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • CA, US Citizen
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    • Asian - Thai? Is that ORM?
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    • UCLA - Psychobiology major, Applied Developmental Psychology minor (selective minor, accepts ~18-20 students twice a year)
    • Formal Post-Bacc program with ~20 students accepted each year
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Clinical Research Coordinator at children's hospital ~2300 hrs - attend weekly clinic meetings for rare disease/inborn errors of metabolism + lysosomal storage disease patient cases, attend clinic visits, point of contact for research patients + families with severe, neurodegenerative conditions for gene therapies, first point of contact after really devastating diagnoses
    2. Emergency Medicine Scribe at Tier II trauma center in LA, ~750 hrs - avg 25-30 patients per shift
    3. Director for a health fair org, member for 4 years - organize, manage/oversee stations for quarterly health fairs for underserved API populations
    4. Care Extender, ~350 hours - keeping kiddos company, held babies, watched live births and open/closed heart surgeries
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • Clinical Research Coordinator at children's hospital (again) - not sure whether to put under research or clinical? Coordinate/manage Phase I/II gene therapy trials, coordinated first dosing procedure for a US patient with a drug, since they're sponsor trials, harder for posters/pubs
    • Research Volunteer, 3 years, 800+ hours - community-partnered participatory research for under-resourced minority families with children recently diagnosed with Autism navigate the special needs system (work ties into personal stories!), worked together/met with community stakeholders, developed intervention materials, analyzed data for projects, developed my own research project and navigated IRB, recruited, data collected, analyzed, and presented work
      • Poster at international research conference for lab's project
      • Oral presentations at regional undergrad conferences and post-bacc school's conference for my own project
      • Poster at national conference for my own project
    • Clinical Research Volunteer, 1.5 years, 360+ hrs - early biomarker study for infant sibs with Autism
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • Direct shadowing experience is low, thought scribing could count until I learned later...
    • Shadowed a psychiatrist
    • Rest is shadowing with my other jobs (Emergency Medicine, pediatrics biochemical genetics, multidisciplinary clinics with cardiology, endocrinology, and neurology)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • Care Navigation, 120 hours - assisting social workers and case managers for social determinants of health screenings and connecting patients to primary care
    • Community Academic Council member, 50 hours - participated in knowledge exchange community-partnered meetings with academics + community stakeholders to help develop marketing materials and provide younger, diverse perspective to communicate with youths
    • Others but not in 15 experiences
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Caregiver Intern at campus childcare center, 250 hours
    • Work Study Student - Brain Injury Clinical Research, 320 hours
    • Co-Founder/Vice President - Women's Health club on campus, 200 hours
    • Performer, Graphic Designer, Traditional Dance Coordinator, Co-Producer - Thai Culture Nights, 400 hours
    • Graphic Designer, 1000 hours? including pre-college hrs
      • Graphic Design Chair for college org
      • Graphic Designer for Undergrad Research Journal
      • Work Study Marketing Student
      • Freelance designed for private practices, consulting business, start-up fashion lines, currently design instructor for an adult with Autism's Self-Determination Program with Regional Center
      • COVID-19 Hackathons + pro-bono services
      • Taught design classes to high schoolers
    • Workshops to navigate post-bacc as alumni
    • Taught classes for currently incarcerated youth
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Chancellor's Service Award
    2. 2nd Place at campus-wide shirt design contest for campus merch
    3. Eligible for CA Child Development Permit at Master Teacher
    4. Scholarships from Post-Bacc
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Applying disadvantaged - Grew up low-income non-STEM family, small business, driving desire to serve marginalized populations, and advocate for data disaggregation to highlight experiences of low-income Southeast Asian experiences and overlooked populations
      • SDN encouraged me to apply disadvantaged since I was reluctant to, haha
      • Took time to build financial support for family, med school apps, life things (learning to drive, getting myself a car, etc)
    2. Inland Empire native
    3. Helped as caretaker for grandmother with dementia during COVID
School list critique/trim would be really appreciated! I know my stats aren't great at all, so any help would be great!

Edited: LizzyM: 61.8, WARS 68

School List:

UCR
CDU/UCLA
UCLA-PRIME
UC Davis
California University of Science and Medicine
Loma Linda - personal ties/reasons for Loma Linda so ok w mission
Kaiser?? They seem to like my post-bacc program but stats
USC??
Drexel University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch
Oakland University
SUNY Downstate
New York Medical College
Stony Brook?
FIU
USF Morsani?
Michigan State MD + DO schools
University of Michigan
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Wright State
Rush Medical College
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Nova
Hackensack-Meridian
University of Toledo

DO:
Western
TouroCA
TouroNV
TouroNY

Suggestions for DO schools would be really amazing!

Thanks so much to anyone who reads all of this and their time!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could you clarify your comment on retaking the MCAT in May. Are you talking about the last time you took the MCAT, you didn't have enough time budgeted to prepare, or are you concerned that you don't have time for this retake? How well you do may make a difference in the school list. Make sure you do your own LizzyM/WARS analysis.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you clarify your comment on retaking the MCAT in May. Are you talking about the last time you took the MCAT, you didn't have enough time budgeted to prepare, or are you concerned that you don't have time for this retake? How well you do may make a difference in the school list. Make sure you do your own LizzyM/WARS analysis.

I didn't have a lot of time budgeted to prepare--had about 6 weeks off with lighter studying after work beforehand, but because my sciences are so weak it was all really used to reteach myself. Not a great excuse in any way, and definitely could have done things better. Dedicating retake towards UWorld practice, but unfortunately don't have an updated practice test score. But am concerned that a 5/27 MCAT retake might also be a bit late too. :( And thank you! Will do right now!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The majority of MD schools on your list are unrealistic with your stats. Concentrate more on DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM (both schools)
Touro-NY
For MD schools you could try these:
California University
Loma Linda
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
UC Davis
UC Irvine
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Your listed nonclinical volunteering has nothing to do with serving the unserved/underserved in your community. For this area that’s what you should be focused on. Get out of your comfort zone. Stretch your experiences working with people very unlike yourself. And I’d leave the Clinical Research Coordinator in Research. You seem to have plenty of clinical experiences.

@Faha Thank you very much for the feedback!! My original list was based primarily on how many post-baccs were accepted from the school, so I was having trouble figuring out what would be good given my overall cGPA compared to my stats during my post-bacc program. This is helpful for a list! I was really at a loss which GPA to consider.

Your listed nonclinical volunteering has nothing to do with serving the unserved/underserved in your community. For this area that’s what you should be focused on. Get out of your comfort zone. Stretch your experiences working with people very unlike yourself. And I’d leave the Clinical Research Coordinator in Research. You seem to have plenty of clinical experiences.

Thank you for the feedback! My overall experiences are in underserved communities - some like my own such as the free health fairs (overall for that org that serves underserved API, over 1000 hrs) and some not like my own. The non-clinical experiences, research, and other experiences happen to be in an urban underserved area - primarily Black/Latino communities, and my old research was very integrated with the community (but trying to be transparent about research and change the ivory tower dynamic!) which was why I loved it. We'd work with families, regional centers, schools, kids, and non-profits and also had community events to help foster relations between Korean, Black, and Latino communities in LA. The others that I didn't include in my 15 was volunteering childcare at a women/children transitional home in LA (got cut from COVID), teaching classes for currently incarcerated youth, reading to children, and my first 2 years I was in a community-service organization, but I wasn't including in my 15 since the ideas are touched upon in my other experiences. I used to babysit for different families throughout LA too. Outside of that though, my lived experiences is growing up in different communities unlike myself, but it's hard to capture this in a list! My GPA suffered my first years of college from spreading myself thin alongside personal factors.

Last edited:
Please list the hours for those. You could probably remove Community Academic Council member and swap it for one of the other activities.

The majority of MD schools on your list are unrealistic with your stats. Concentrate more on DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM (both schools)
Touro-NY
For MD schools you could try these:
California University
Loma Linda
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
UC Davis
UC Irvine
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
I've noticed on a few posts you recommend AZCOM, but not CCOM. They have similar tuition. Any reason why?

Aim for 517+ for MD. Don’t retake unless you’re confident you can exceed a 512 imo

Good for DO