WAMC MD / DO school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sn00pygrrl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.69 and sGPA: 3.94
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 517 (128/128/130/131)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: multiple--small liberal arts college, large public university, large private university
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 20k hours nursing (RN-->NP) experience
  7. Research experience and productivity: 2 first authored peer-reviewed papers, 1 poster presentation at national conference
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: (pending) intense primary care, psychiatry
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 300 hours crisis phone counselor
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): athletic hobby with significant time commitment
  11. Relevant honors or awards: n/a
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: IA (plagiarism--single incident) dating from 22 yrs ago, close ties to New England
MD List:
CA state schools
Albany
Case Western
Creighton
Drexel
GWU
Temple
Kaiser
Loma Linda
Quinnipiac
SLU
Strich
NYMC
Sidney Kimmel
Tulane
Cincinnati

DO List:
Western (Pomona)
Touro (Vallejo)
CHSU-COM
PCOM
UNECOM

Please help with MD/DO lists and overall chances! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You don’t need to apply DO, but if you do, take off CHSU. It is too new of a school and the other CA DO schools are more established. For MD, CNU has accreditation issues, so skip them as well if you were considering them.

I suggest the following:

All UCs (except UCR unless you are from the IE)
Keck
Kaiser
Loma Linda (only if SDA or you have similar religious beliefs as them)
Case Western
Creighton
Quinnipiac
SLU
Sidney Kimmel
Tulane
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Dartmouth
Iowa
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
USF
Miami
Georgetown
UVA
Michigan
Vermont
Western Michigan
Tufts
Colorado
Boston University
Emory
Pitt
Sinai
Northwestern

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I'm curious--it looks like your list includes a few state schools (Michigan, Ohio State) that I wouldn't assume would take many OOS applicants without ties to the area. Is it really worth applying there?

@Goro -- I'm really non-traditional (age = 43, medicine-adjacent health professional)--can you help me add any DO schools to the list above? I really like the DO philosophy of care and can see myself possibly being happier at a DO school. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan would probably be tough, as they are a bona fide T15 school and it looks like your ECs are good but not great. Never hurts to try though

From my experience, Michigan likes people who went to Ivys or Umich

Don’t know much about OSU

Thank you! I'm curious--it looks like your list includes a few state schools (Michigan, Ohio State) that I wouldn't assume would take many OOS applicants without ties to the area. Is it really worth applying there?

@Goro -- I'm really non-traditional (age = 43, medicine-adjacent health professional)--can you help me add any DO schools to the list above? I really like the DO philosophy of care and can see myself possibly being happier at a DO school. Thank you!
You're competitive for U MI and OSU.

You don't need DO schools on the list, but if you want, try TUNCOM, PacNW, both Westerns, Touro.CA and AZCOM

Reactions: 1 user
As Goro said, you are competitive. They take many OOS students, but they usually have high stats (similar to yours).