DO WAMC for DO? Are my ECs sufficient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydride Shift

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN!

I'm currently in my gap year taking post-bacc classes, and I am applying for the 20-21 cycle to DO schools. I decided to go down the pre-med route pretty late, so I've been trying to scramble together as many EC hours as I can before I apply this fall.

Background: ORM Male from Georgia, graduated from a decent public university

cGPA: 3.64 (strong upward trend, last 2 years ~3.9)

sGPA: 3.51 (failed OChem my first try, retook and got an A. Everything else has been A's with a few B's)

MCAT: N/A (Will study for 3 months over the summer and take in August.)

EC's:

Clinical Experience
  • ~400 hrs of paid CNA work at an assisted living/memory care facility
  • 30 hrs hospital volunteering in the ICU
  • Expecting 60 hrs shadowing (2 doctors: MD Anesthesiologist and DO Primary Care)
Non-clinical volunteering:
  • 40 hrs coaching PE games at an after school program for low income children
  • ~50 hrs various food bank, campus kitchen volunteering for underserved communities
  • Will try to rack up ~50 more hours of misc. volunteering by the time I apply
Research:
  • None. Was never interested in research, but apparently this isn't a big issue at DO schools
Misc:
  • Was active in my fraternity for 2 years
    • Vice President for a year, was in charge of organizing philanthropy events (blood drives, bone marrow donor events, etc)
  • Shadowed physical therapists and an occupational therapist for ~140 hrs, not sure if I should even put this on my app
  • Held a serving job at a restaurant my freshman year
  • Graduated with Honors, Deans List, Math Honor Society

Since I decided to go pre-med late, most of my clinical and volunteering hours are from the past year. Will this look bad, as if I'm just doing it to check off the boxes? Also I know my clinical volunteer hours are lacking, but will my CNA hours pick up the slack?

What suggestions do y'all have for me to strengthen my app over the next couple of months? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should network with admissions recruiters from the schools you want to go to and ask them about your PT or OT hours. Some may be okay with you mentioning them since OMM/OMT seems similar. Just check before you apply.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.