WAMC: What are my chances and what schools do you recommend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EchoDreamer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if you have any schools you could recommend and just what are my overall chances of being accepted to medical school. I hope my work/life experience helps my application. Thank you!

Male PA resident/ MI ties
Academic Performance:

• Cumulative GPA: 3.846
  • Science GPA: 3.767
  • MCAT: 509 (129/127/126/127)
Work Experience:
  • Healthcare Consultant (working for a year)
  • Financial Analyst at a Health Network (9 months)
Clinical Experience
  • Patient Care Technician for 224 hours
  • Medical Assistant for 270 hours
Leadership and Extracurricular Activities:
  • President of cultural organization - (400 hours)
  • Finance Director (200 hours)
  • Senior Financial Analyst for school hedge fund - (300 hours)
  • Club Soccer Team (120) hours
Shadowing:
  • Online shadowing (25+ hours will try to get some in person; tough with work rn)
Teaching/Tutoring:
  • Undergraduate Teaching Assistant: (600 hours)
  • Student Athlete tutor - 80 hours
  • Online Tutoring (100 hours)
Research Experience
  • Chem lab research (150 hours)
  • Bio lab research (100 hours)
  • Working on a mental health white paper through the consulting firm
Clinical Experience:
  • Patient Care Technician (224 hours)
  • Medical Assistant (270 hours
Volunteering
  • Online Tutoring children; nonclinical ( 100 hours)
  • Hospital volunteering ( 8 hours a week; will bolster this up)

Members don't see this ad.

-When are you applying?
-Any nonclinical volunteering with unserved/underserved in your community? Homeless Shelters, soup kitchens, working with refugees,? Something out of your comfort zone. Dealing with people very unlike yourself.
-You definitely need 50 hours of in person shadowing. Some should be with a primary care doc. Find the time to do this.

Reactions: 1 users
I plan to apply in May 2024 ideally. I don't currently volunteer work in any of those kinds of areas, but I'll look into it. Same with the in-person shadowing. Thank you! Besides that are my chances okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to apply in May 2024 ideally. I don't currently volunteer work in any of those kinds of areas, but I'll look into it. Same with the in-person shadowing. Thank you! Besides that are my chances okay?
Your low clinical and community service hours put you at great risk of getting screened out of most medical schools. I'm sure you have done some customary community service as a student athlete, but we want to see some evidence of you doing things off-campus and out of your comfort zone to alleviate distress among those in need without being in a role as subject matter expert (like tutoring) or a fundraiser.

Reactions: 1 user
You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including primary care) before you apply. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth Geisinger
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Belmont
NOVA MD
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
West Virginia
Any new schools that open for 2025 (Alice Walton, Methodist, Roseman, American University)
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
PCOM
LECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
WVSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
CUSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
CCOM

Unless you get the in person shadowing and nonclinical volunteering(200+hours) your list of schools will be compromised. Many of the schools you are competitive for expect lots of community service because that is their focus for patient populations. Medicine is a service profession. How will you explain you can deal with people at their very worst without stepping out of your comfort zone now? And again, don’t apply without shadowing. How will you explain in your application or to ADCOMS. That you want to even be a doctor without it.