WAMC? For an extremely lost Canadian (3.93, 517 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostCanadian

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

So long story short, I'm a Canadian looking to add some US med schools to my application list this year since Canada do be competitive af, and I would like to be realistic about what schools are reasonable and what may end up being too much of a reach. I don't know much about the US system or what is typically required for applicants to do, but some thoughts about possible schools I could apply to would be greatly appreciated!

cGPA: 3.93 (Master's GPA 4.0)
MCAT: 517 (130/127/132/128)
Residency: Canada
Ethnicity: Asian (ORM)
Undergraduate Institution: Canadian university.
Clinical experience: So this is where my application gets a bit iffy. Very hard to get legitimate clinical experience in Canada. Should have ~100hrs hospital volunteering. Worked 1.5 years FT in a vaccine R&D company and was involved in patient work during this stint.
Research experience: Heavy. Done 2 yr research-based MSc managing 2 projects with a first author paper, 3 poster presentations at conferences and patent, acted as a chair in one of the conferences.
Shadowing experience: Again, extremely hard in Canada. ~50 hours shadowing anatomical pathology and hematology.
Non-clinical volunteering: 2 club exec positions working with either minority communities or children with special needs (ranging from deaf/blind to ASD to cerebral palsy), used to teach tennis+volunteer as a camp counselor. Also volunteer at local tennis club hosting events.
Other extracurriculars: Classically trained pianist, recreational tennis&golf player, currently proficient but still learning ASL (American Sign Language), plus random workshops to work on stuff like public speaking, etc
Regular work: McDonald's ~1000 hours, office assistant ~100 hours, Health Canada (see above), vaccine R&D (see above), TA (~500 hours, mostly lecturing or acting as an undergrad lab TA). 650hrs at Health Canada evaluating manufacturing practices for drugs though.
Honors and awards: National Research Council scholarship, admission scholarships and performance scholarships for both master's and undergrad
Immediate family members in medicine: N

Some thoughts on a school list would be greatly appreciated. Are T10 US schools doable? Should I be a bit more realistic and do some more average schools instead? As someone unsure of how US applicants view an application, thoughts on this are very welcome

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: