WAMC (516/3.93)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spsuperstar

Reaction score
  • cGPA 3.93, sGPA 3.86
  • MCAT: 516 (128/128/129/131)
  • Residence: NC
  • Asian
  • Clinical experience
    • Medical Assistant: 1000 hours(~1300 by application)
      • Pain Management Practice
      • Monitor infusions, Set up EKGs, Assist in interventional pain procedures, patient Check-in, clinic administrative duties
  • Research experience
    1. 120 hours research (during a study abroad semester, no pubs)
  • No Shadowing as of yet, planning for 50 by application
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Special Olympics of NC - swim coach (150 hours)
    2. Habitat for Humanity (100 hours)
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Athletic Training Intern for D1 University Football team (750 hours) <-- unsure if this counts as clinical, but I've left it here to be safe
    2. University Housing Community Assistant (500 hours)
    3. Quizbowl Club President 1 year
    4. Quizbowl Club Treasurer 1 semester

Tentative School List
UNC Chapel Hill
ECU
Boston University
THE Ohio State University
Saint Louis University
Tufts University
University of Pittsburgh
Indiana University
Penn State
Drexel University
Dartmouth University
Florida Atlantic University
George Washington University
University of Arizona Tucson
University of Arizona Phoenix
University of Washington
USF
Albany Medical College
Medical College of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend removing UA Tucson unless you speak Spanish and have significant ties to Southern AZ.

Reactions: 1 user
U Washington admits less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest and the Arizona schools admit few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UNC
ECU
Wake Forest
Duke
USF Morsani
Miami
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Penn State
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Boston University
Tufts
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Members don't see this ad :)
U Washington admits less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest and the Arizona schools admit few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UNC
ECU
Wake Forest
Duke
USF Morsani
Miami
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Penn State
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Boston University
Tufts
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Thank you, I'll look into the ones you've suggested!

Get 50 more H4H hours to avoid getting screened out at most schools. Get a variety of shadowing that complements your current clinical exposure. Athletic training can count as clinical depending on your roles and responsibilities.

What is your mission fit as a physician? Where are your passions and for whom do you advocate?

Get 50 more H4H hours to avoid getting screened out at most schools. Get a variety of shadowing that complements your current clinical exposure. Athletic training can count as clinical depending on your roles and responsibilities.

What is your mission fit as a physician? Where are your passions and for whom do you advocate?
Thank you for the response. Could you clarify what you mean by H4H? I believe my passions certainly lie amongst advocating for and interacting with sensitive populations. My work as a medical assistant in pain management primarily puts me in contact with an elderly demographic and my work with the Special Olympics allows me to work with athletes with a range of disabilities - both populations that often have a hard time being heard and getting the care and support they need. Furthermore, I have a special interest in sports medicine which is hopefully evident by my involvement as an assistant athletic trainer as well as volunteer swim coach. I am currently planning on for at least part of my planned shadowing, to shadow my university's team physician, which I hope will also make it more clear where my passions lie.

Habitat

So basically orthopedics, sports medicine, and PMR. How does Habitat fit?
Sounds good, will aim for at least 50 more.

I wish I could say that H4H is something that fits right into my "narrative" but I'm not sure that it is. It's honestly just something I find fulfilling and enjoy doing in the service of others. I hope that even though it may not speak to my interests in sports medicine, it can still speak to the narrative of my character; qualities such as compassion and putting others first that I see echoed in the mission statements of many medical schools.

I think it certainly is tough to fit all of my experiences into a singular core narrative as many of my experiences during my undergraduate journey were exploratory, helping me find my passions. While sports medicine is one that I certainly have experiences in, I could not say it's my only passion - I have an interest in allergy medicine / immunology as well due to personal experiences over the course of my life. I hope to continue to hone in on my passions in medical school and use my experiences there to guide my decision on my future as a healthcare provider.

I would actually like your advice on whether it is looked upon by adcoms favorably or unfavorably to have more than one passion as that has been a concern of mine as well. Thank you again for the continuous replies and insight provided - I really do appreciate it.

Last edited: