MD & DO WAMC- Click to See The Train Wreck (sGPA is 2.87 cGPA is 2.17)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuiceyJuice

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
sGPA is 2.87
cGPA is 2.17
MCAT: still need to take

One time I was walking into my physics exam and my boss said I had to leave and go to work... I got an F in the class.
I tried again next semester and got an A.
My transcript is littered with F's and W's
I have an A in Gen Chem, I have a B in Orgo without any retakes....

I have been in school for 10 years, taking anywhere from 1- 4 classes at a time. The minute I turned 18 I was thrown to wolves and living on my own, no savings and working at Wendy's making $6.25 an hour. My parents made too much money, so I didn't qualify for financial aid until I was 25. When I was 25 I was making 27,000 a year, which also didn't qualify for financial aid. So, I just kept working and going to school and doing the best I can.

I was living in a roach infested apartment. There were at least 20 roaches on my bed at night :wtf: and I would slap them off in my sleep. Now I have a 6th sense for roaches. I can wake up from a deep sleep, in the dark, and know there is a roach in my bathroom :rofl:

I worked at a bank 9-3 and then went to work at a restaurant from 5-12. Work, school, and the stress of being poor was rough.

I had a boyfriend who broke my arm, kicked me in the head causing me to need staples, and he held me by my neck against the wall with a knife to my face. He punched me, kicked me, broke my car, pushed me out of a moving car on a highway, hid my keys so I had to walk to work and school. ***SIX*** years it took me to realize this isn't normal. :(

I finally found a single job that I can survive on. Actually thrive. Like, I make a really decent amount of money and I consider myself very fortunate considering I've spent some nights in my car and under bushes. This job is tough. I work at least 50 hours a week, and even when I am class... if my boss needs me... I have to leave. No questions.

I'm finally graduating this August. My GPA isn't pretty... but I made it!

WAMC anywhere? MD, (US or Caribbean) DO? I worked and struggled SO hard for this degree and I don't think it shows my full potential.

I'm telling my sob story here, but when I'm applying I don't want to sound "excuse-y" and "poor me"

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is lethal for pretty much any school including the Carribean schools that at the very least have had someone match.

Reactions: 4 users
Your GPA is lethal for pretty much any school including the Carribean schools that at the very least have had someone match.

Thank you for your advice. Do you think this is something a masters/post bacc could help with? Assuming I drop the current job situation...

Members don't see this ad :)
It would take a 2 year post bacc at a local college and you will need take enough science courses to raise both your sGPA and cGPA to 3.0 . There is no point in applying until you reach that GPA of 3.0 . You will also need a MCAT over 500 to have a chance for interviews at some of the newer DO schools. Do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently over 500.

Reactions: 1 users
1)Even if a Caribbean school would take you, DO NOT even think of going . You are just the type of person they are looking for, counting on and preying on to attend their schools. They build their business model around students like you. They will probably accept you and after a semester or two or more, flunk you out. You will be left with thousands of dollars of debt and no way to pay it off. And even if you somehow manage to graduate less than 60% of Caribbean grads find residencies. So there is that too.

2) Your GPAs are too low for any medical school. You need a post bacc of some sort to try to string together several semesters of full time course work in upper level sciences. You must get a post bacc GPA of +3.7. After you finish the post bacc you might need a SMP. You have to prove to ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. You haven’t done that yet. If you somehow manage to get a +3.7 in the post bacc, maybe some school will take a chance on you. But there are no guarantees.

3). Don’t even think of taking the MCAT until you finish your post bacc. You currently have huge gaps in your scientific knowledge. Taking the test before you fill those gaps could be very detrimental to your score.

4) You don’t mention anything about ECs.

5). Understand that the average GPA for matriculated students is around 3.7 for MD students and around 3.5 (I think)for DO students. It actually might be higher. And these GPAs go up every cycle. Every cycle only around 40 percent of applicants are accepted to med school. That means 60 percent are rejected. This means many stellar applicants are rejected.

6)You have a very long road ahead of you. Only you can decide if you want to put the time and effort and money into it. Remember, there are no guarantees you will be successful but there aren’t any real guarantees in life anyway.

Good Luck.

sGPA is 2.87
cGPA is 2.17

One time I was walking into my physics exam and my boss said I had to leave and go to work... I got an F in the class.

I have been in school for 10 years, taking anywhere from 1- 4 classes at a time. The minute I turned 18 I was thrown to wolves and living on my own, no savings and working at Wendy's making $6.25 an hour. My parents made too much money, so I didn't qualify for financial aid until I was 25. When I was 25 I was making 27,000 a year, which also didn't qualify for financial aid. So, I just kept working and going to school and doing the best I can.

I was living in a roach infested apartment. There were at least 20 roaches on my bed at night :wtf: and I would slap them off in my sleep. Now I have a 6th sense for roaches. I can wake up from a deep sleep, in the dark, and know there is a roach in my bathroom :rofl:

I worked at a bank 9-3 and then went to work at a restaurant from 5-12. Work, school, and the stress of being poor was rough.

I had a boyfriend who broke my arm, kicked me in the head causing me to need staples, and he held me by my neck against the wall with a knife to my face. He punched me, kicked me, broke my car, pushed me out of a moving car on a highway, hid my keys so I had to walk to work and school. ***SIX*** years it took me to realize this isn't normal. :(

I finally found a single job that I can survive on. Actually thrive. Like, I make a really decent amount of money and I consider myself very fortunate considering I've spent some nights in my car and under bushes. This job is tough. I work at least 50 hours a week, and even when I am class... if my boss needs me... I have to leave. No questions.

WAMC anywhere? MD, (US or Caribbean) DO? I worked and struggled SO hard for this degree and I don't think it shows my full potential.

I'm telling my sob story here, but when I'm applying I don't want to sound "excuse-y" and "poor me"
Med school is simply a no go now.
Not only do you have significant GPA repair to do, you also need to start making better choices. You cannot be in a situation where your schooling is held hostage to your work.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
sGPA is 2.87
cGPA is 2.17

That does not sound like a great college experience at all. I'm sorry you had so much hardship.

So an interesting question I have: any reason why you can't do another bachelor's degree? Start over with college and get a biomedically-relevant science degree when you are in conditions that truly support your education? No, I don't mean online universities, but even as a non-traditional student after working for a while and ultimately transitioning to full-time student? It happens so much in "the real world" with people going back to school to help themselves with a total career shift. Through proper mentoring and networking, you can find a community of non-traditional medical students (including here on SDN) who can share their experiences of getting into medical school and through their education.

Yes your past transcript is going to be a big challenge, but I've reviewed many applicants who basically started over again (maybe even after a few years to work). Many of my faculty will look at the more recent "redeemed" applicant and not weigh the horrible past so much. You obviously have enough compelling stories to support our behavior to look at your more recent undergraduate courses.

Yes, read Goro's guide to reinvention, but remember that you may not have noticed the non-traditional older student in your lecture prehealth requirement classes. But they are there.

That does not sound like a great college experience at all. I'm sorry you had so much hardship.

So an interesting question I have: any reason why you can't do another bachelor's degree? Start over with college and get a biomedically-relevant science degree when you are in conditions that truly support your education? No, I don't mean online universities, but even as a non-traditional student after working for a while and ultimately transitioning to full-time student? It happens so much in "the real world" with people going back to school to help themselves with a total career shift. Through proper mentoring and networking, you can find a community of non-traditional medical students (including here on SDN) who can share their experiences of getting into medical school and through their education.

Yes your past transcript is going to be a big challenge, but I've reviewed many applicants who basically started over again (maybe even after a few years to work). Many of my faculty will look at the more recent "redeemed" applicant and not weigh the horrible past so much. You obviously have enough compelling stories to support our behavior to look at your more recent undergraduate courses.

Yes, read Goro's guide to reinvention, but remember that you may not have noticed the non-traditional older student in your lecture prehealth requirement classes. But they are there.

Thank you! I hadn't thought of a second bachelors. I would LOVE to get a biomedically-relevant science degree under better conditions. Just the thought of it makes me feel excited for the future. According to my schools website, there is no reason I can't do another bachelors degree. Thank you for taking your time to read my post and taking your time to give me specific advice based on my situation. I'm going to have to make some big changes that are terrifying to think about, but I'm beginning to feel hope. Thank you for helping.

Not only do you have significant GPA repair to do, you also need to start making better choices. You cannot be in a situation where your schooling is held hostage to your work.
My schooling is being held hostage by my work. It hits home harder when said that way opposed to, "I work full time and go to school." Thank you for the time that you spent reading my post, giving your advice, and also the link you posted. I guess after I graduate it's time to drop the job and go after my dreams. It's terrifying because I know I will go for it, but it's going to be difficult after having worked so hard in a career and achieved financial stability. I don't love my job, but I love knowing that I will be able to eat tomorrow if that makes sense.

1)Even if a Caribbean school would take you, DO NOT even think of going . You are just the type of person they are looking for, counting on and preying on to attend their schools. They build their business model around students like you. They will probably accept you and after a semester or two or more, flunk you out. You will be left with thousands of dollars of debt and no way to pay it off. And even if you somehow manage to graduate less than 60% of Caribbean grads find residencies. So there is that too.

2) Your GPAs are too low for any medical school. You need a post bacc of some sort to try to string together several semesters of full time course work in upper level sciences. You must get a post bacc GPA of +3.7. After you finish the post bacc you might need a SMP. You have to prove to ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. You haven’t done that yet. If you somehow manage to get a +3.7 in the post bacc, maybe some school will take a chance on you. But there are no guarantees.

3). Don’t even think of taking the MCAT until you finish your post bacc. You currently have huge gaps in your scientific knowledge. Taking the test before you fill those gaps could be very detrimental to your score.

4) You don’t mention anything about ECs.

5). Understand that the average GPA for matriculated students is around 3.7 for MD students and around 3.5 (I think)for DO students. It actually might be higher. And these GPAs go up every cycle. Every cycle only around 40 percent of applicants are accepted to med school. That means 60 percent are rejected. This means many stellar applicants are rejected.

6)You have a very long road ahead of you. Only you can decide if you want to put the time and effort and money into it. Remember, there are no guarantees you will be successful but there aren’t any real guarantees in life anyway.

Good Luck.
Thank you! I was feeling rushed to take my MCATS, but you are spot on. I have huge gaps in my scientific knowledge. Some gaps are just because it has been awhile and I can refresh my memory, but some gaps are really just gaps. Thank you for reading my post and giving me realistic expectations about the Caribbean, taking my MCATS, and the general path I would have to take to achieve my goal. I really appreciate it. I was feeling very lost since none of the information I read was specific to my situation, but you have given me a lot of direction. Thank you again.

Reactions: 2 users
It would take a 2 year post bacc at a local college and you will need take enough science courses to raise both your sGPA and cGPA to 3.0 . There is no point in applying until you reach that GPA of 3.0 . You will also need a MCAT over 500 to have a chance for interviews at some of the newer DO schools. Do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently over 500.
Thank you! Getting my sGPA to a 3.0 seems much easier than my cGPA. Thank you for reading my post, and your advice will be taken. I've been so focused on just passing my classes and working that I hadn't thought much into a study plan for the MCATS. I am looking forward to taking tons of MCAT practice tests until I'm consistently scoring over 500.

Thank you! I was feeling rushed to take my MCATS, but you are spot on. I have huge gaps in my scientific knowledge. Some gaps are just because it has been awhile and I can refresh my memory, but some gaps are really just gaps. Thank you for reading my post and giving me realistic expectations about the Caribbean, taking my MCATS, and the general path I would have to take to achieve my goal. I really appreciate it. I was feeling very lost since none of the information I read was specific to my situation, but you have given me a lot of direction. Thank you again.
In my SMP program, there was a guy with a sub 3.0 GPA - it was around 2.5 ish. He took 30 units post-bac with a 4.0, applied to the SMP where he got a 4.0 GPA, and topped it off with a 518 MCAT. He is now attending the MD medical school linked to the SMP. Granted, his GPA was not a 2.17. My advice is post-bac --> (MCAT take?) --> formal SMP with linkage --> (if not before, take MCAT now) --> apply DO/achieve stats for direct admission from linkage --> successful interview --> you are now a doctor. Good luck, it's not impossible, just improbable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, you should probably move to Texas and do academic fresh start. If most of your Fs are in the distant past(8-10 years ago), then after 90 credits of great GPA(3.8+) you'll be ready to apply to TMDSAS.

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly, you should probably move to Texas and do academic fresh start. If most of your Fs are in the distant past(8-10 years ago), then after 90 credits of great GPA(3.8+) you'll be ready to apply to TMDSAS.
Applying in Texas has become extremely competitive in the last two years, but I do recommend packing up and moving somewhere else. It sounds to me like the cost of living is really high where you are right now. Go to a college with a low cost of living in the area, work a flexible job that is respectful of your time (try to work full time over the summer to save for during the school year), get a roommate or two to bring down the cost of rent, get a 3.8+ for 1.5-2 years in upper level science courses until your gpa is 3.0. Apply to SMPs and maintain a 3.8+ gpa for a year. Do REALLY well on the MCAT. And then you can apply - and this is assuming you've been able to squeeze in all the EC's in there. This is at least a 3-4 year reinvention period that will require you to make a lot of sacrifices, so you really have to consider whether this path is truly what you want to do. There are other options in the healthcare field that will require less investment upfront that may be just as rewarding to you. And remember, even if you do all these things there is no guarantee you will get into medical school. Good luck, and I hope you make the best choice for you!

I ignored a work call while in class today and I'm not calling back until I'm at work tomorrow... even though the client is going crazy. I don't know if I'm strong enough to ignore a call from my boss yet, but baby steps are better than nothing....

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! Most of my F's are many years ago. That doesn't sound like bad idea at all. Thank you.

In my SMP program, there was a guy with a sub 3.0 GPA - it was around 2.5 ish. He took 30 units post-bac with a 4.0, applied to the SMP where he got a 4.0 GPA, and topped it off with a 518 MCAT. He is now attending the MD medical school linked to the SMP. Granted, his GPA was not a 2.17. My advice is post-bac --> (MCAT take?) --> formal SMP with linkage --> (if not before, take MCAT now) --> apply DO/achieve stats for direct admission from linkage --> successful interview --> you are now a doctor. Good luck, it's not impossible, just improbable.
Thank you! I like improbable, it makes me feel hopeful. I also realized my cGPA is actually 2.25 (that much closer to 2.5) and I was offered a better, less demanding job today, out of the blue. Your friends story is inspiring and I hope I can be like him.

Just another thank you. I looked more into detail about getting a second bachelors, and I will have to get my cGPA up to a 2.5 (If I stay at the same university, my cGPA would be considered 2.3). However, that seems like a small sacrifice for the chance to get a science degree WITH financial aid. I'm so excited about the idea that I could be completely immersed in school and truly learn. We already know I learned the hard way already about getting denied financial aid due to salary so it won't happen again this time. My boss better start writing me paychecks for $200 biweekly or I'm going back to work at Wendys :laugh:

Last edited:
Just another thank you. I looked more into detail about getting a second bachelors, and I will have to get my cGPA up to a 2.5 (If I stay at the same university, my cGPA would be considered 2.3). However, that seems like a small sacrifice for the chance to get a science degree WITH financial aid. I'm so excited about the idea that I could be completely immersed in school and truly learn. We already know I learned the hard way already about getting denied financial aid due to salary so it won't happen again this time. My boss better start writing me paychecks for $200 biweekly or I'm going back to work at Wendys :laugh:
Take Starbucks over Wendy's please. From another post of mine -

I'm currently a barista at the 'bucks. Free bag of coffee a week, health insurance (must work at least 20h a week), free spotify subscription, unlimited drinks, discount on online retail (name brand stuff), free food markout every day you work, extra $1.50/hour in tips. Good practice dealing with all sorts of people too.

Free classes at University of Arizona online Education: Starbucks Coffee Company
Here are all the benefits: https://globalassets.starbucks.com/assets/589a80b922dd41809f7058eb146338cb.pdf

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Go into something other than medical school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go into something other than medical school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're probably right, but I have to try or my life will not be right. If I quit my job, sell my house (only if I must), live on my savings, and have just the typical minimal to medium life bull**** thrown my way, and I still can't hack it... I'll accept my failure and continue designing kitchens til I die.

Well, I read everything that everybody said, multiple times. I'm surprised I didn't print it all out and laminate it lol. I really took a little piece of everyone's advice and made a plan, and I really couldn't have done it without your guidance. You all really prevented me from going even further down the wrong road.

1. Rather than rushing to graduate in August, I will space out my classes better and graduate 1 semester later in December. After 10 years, I don't know why I was so caught up on this August graduation date. I can't save my GPA, but I can't let that stop me from making positive changes to my transcript now. Hopefully it will show that I've dug myself out or at least started digging myself out of the hole I'm in.

2. I'm not quitting my job just yet and I'm still taking it very seriously, but
  • I will NEVER again compromise a class or a grade for a client or the owner. I'm no longer sleeping under a bush or trying to escape an abusive boyfriend, which is the mentality I was acting upon and probably why I was letting my job hold my schooling hostage (as if one wrong move at work, my world would go right back to where it was before).
  • If a client calls me and I decide I want to answer, it will be a text message saying I'm not available.
  • I also made an automatic email for my days off when I am at school, and in my signature for my email I specified which days I will never be available.
  • If the owners call me, I will answer and let them scream and when they are finished I will tell them, "I'm sorry, I'm not at the office... I can't do anything now, but I will take care of it tomorrow."

3. I work on commission, and this year, my hard work at building my clientele is finally showing. I will be able to save 2,000-4000 each month, until December. I'll have a nice little savings by December and then I can quit this job and do one of the following (finally in an environment that's conducive to successful learning):

4. My school actually has 2 masters programs (who knew the answer was right in my backyard):
Option 1: Masters of Biology
- my GPA is not high enough
- BUT they grant conditional acceptances and allow you to take 2 "trial courses." If you pass, you are admitted. If you fail... you're out.
Option 2: Masters of Biomedical Sciences
- , my GPA is not high enough (shocking, I know lol)
- BUT I am allowed to enroll as a non degree seeking student.
- AND if I show that I can handle the rigor, successfully complete 25% of the courses, and the committee believes that I will continue to
excel, they will allow me to matriculate in.
- by matriculating in and graduating, I am guaranteed an interview at the medical school the my university feeds into.
"Option 3": Masters of Biomedical Sciences (non-matriculating, not getting accepted to the feeder medical school)
- Assuming I do well, but my transcripts scare the committee away from allowing me to matriculate from a non degree seeking student to
a degree seeking student or the medical school rejects me (likely), then I can look into medical schools that focus on my most recent grades.

5. Lots of MCAT practice

6. Shadowing

7. Relevant volunteer work

There are a lot of "if's", "ands" or "buts" involved with this plan, but to me, it's 110% worth the time and the risk... even if it doesn't work out.

• Hmm
?

did you just cut post-bac before SMP out from our advice? Also a masters in biology is not an SMP. If the masters in biomedical science is a legit SMP, you should do a post-bac first and make sure you have all the pre-requisite classes before doing a masters program. Assuming you get a 4.0, that will help you get into an SMP. In addition, I recommend an MCAT take after you finish all the pre-reqs in Your post-bac and only take it when you are 100% ready (take practice tests). Getting into a good SMP with 4.0 GPA and > 512 MCAT will be so much easier, and you can choose which one suits you the best (preferably one with direct linkage to a medical school). In addition, You don’t have to worry about MCAT during or after the SMP.

If you fail the Post-bac classes then you’re done and don’t have to spend more money. If you bomb the MCAT, you’re done as a reinventor. The upside is if any of these happen, you don’t have to spend the money for a master’s, potentially bomb it, and pay all that money for no reason.

To be frank, your plans above are not the best and I have to question if you actually read any of our advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
A diy post-bac is what you need to concentrate on. Not a masters. With your undergrad being that low, you will be auto-rejected from medical schools so human eyeballs won't even get a chance to see your app even if you decide to do/complete a masters. Undergrad GPA is king.

?

did you just cut post-bac before SMP out from our advice? Also a masters in biology is not an SMP. If the masters in biomedical science is a legit SMP, you should do a post-bac first and make sure you have all the pre-requisite classes before doing a masters program. Assuming you get a 4.0, that will help you get into an SMP. In addition, I recommend an MCAT take after you finish all the pre-reqs in Your post-bac and only take it when you are 100% ready (take practice tests). Getting into a good SMP with 4.0 GPA and > 512 MCAT will be so much easier, and you can choose which one suits you the best (preferably one with direct linkage to a medical school). In addition, You don’t have to worry about MCAT during or after the SMP.

If you fail the Post-bac classes then you’re done and don’t have to spend more money. If you bomb the MCAT, you’re done as a reinventor. The upside is if any of these happen, you don’t have to spend the money for a master’s, potentially bomb it, and pay all that money for no reason.

To be frank, your plans above are not the best and I have to question if you actually read any of our advice.
I didn't ignore the post bacc in reading, but the requirements for the post bacc were a 3.4 gpa min and take the MCAT, even as a non degree seeking student. I get what your saying, but what they offer isn't lining up.

I didn't ignore the post bacc in reading, but the requirements for the post bacc were a 3.4 gpa min and take the MCAT, even as a non degree seeking student. I get what your saying, but what they offer isn't lining up.
Not an official post-bac. Sorry for not clarifying. This is a DIY (do it yourself) post-bac where you take pre-reqs you still need (or those you got less than a C in). There is no GPA cut-off for DIY post-bacs. You take the MCAT on your own time. After all that, you apply to a formal special master's program that is oriented towards mimicking medical school and shoot for one that has direct linkage into a medical program (either MD or DO).

All a formal post-bac does is group all the classes into a structured format, but probably costs more (I actually don't know, I'm just speculating on the cost of a formal post-bac vs DIY).

Edit: Right from @Goro 's guide to reinvention.

Now, you can do the same thing on your own by simply taking continuing education courses at any nearby college. A four year school will be preferable to a community college (CC), but if costs are an issue, then a CC will be OK. This path is what is known here in SDN as the “DIY post-bac.” Costs will be less, but there’s no guidance.

What classes should one take in a DIY post-bac??? Things that mimic a medical school curriculum!

Anatomy
Biochem
Bioinformatics
Biostats
Cell Bio
Developmental Biology or Embryology
Histology
Immunology
Med Micro OR Bacteriology and/or Virology
Molecular Bio or Genetics
Neuroscience or Neurobiology
Parasitology (if offered)
Pathology
Physiology
Tumor or Cancer Biology

Not an official post-bac. Sorry for not clarifying. This is a DIY (do it yourself) post-bac where you take pre-reqs you still need (or those you got less than a C in). There is no GPA cut-off for DIY post-bacs. You take the MCAT on your own time. After all that, you apply to a formal special master's program that is oriented towards mimicking medical school and shoot for one that has direct linkage into a medical program (either MD or DO).

All a formal post-bac does is group all the classes into a structured format, but probably costs more (I actually don't know, I'm just speculating on the cost of a formal post-bac vs DIY).
Got it! That makes complete sense. If you don't mind me asking, the pre reqs you are talking about are the Gen Chem, Organic Chem, Physics etc? If that's the case, I've passed all my prereqs or retaken them with a C or higher.... clearly it has still lead to a terrible gpa.

So, I'll just retake all or most of the pre reqs in a reasonable amount of time, doing a "normal' course load opposed to dragging it out 1 or 2 at a time, prove I can handle the course load. Then MCATS when I'm scoring high on the practice tests consistently.

Edit- nevermind.

Last edited:
A diy post-bac is what you need to concentrate on. Not a masters. With your undergrad being that low, you will be auto-rejected from medical schools so human eyeballs won't even get a chance to see your app even if you decide to do/complete a masters. Undergrad GPA is king.
Yes! Got it now, thank you. I was looking at the official post bac requirements that required a 3.4 gpa and taking the MCATS ahead of time. That left me with the smp and the masters of biology.

Ok. So I thought I understood, but I didn't. I think I'm on track now.

Yes! Got it now, thank you. I was looking at the official post bac requirements that required a 3.4 gpa and taking the MCATS ahead of time. That left me with the smp and the masters of biology.
Basically you dont need to do any official program. Your best bet is to return to the cheapest college (that is not a community college) and take science credits. Take as many credits as you can handle, (8-16 is reasonable), and strive for an A. You need it. In terms of courses, don't retake any class in which you have a C or above. Instead take upper division science courses, and settle for nothing other then an A. You might need to do 2 years (4 semesters) of this in order to see a decent improvement in your GPA. Goal is to hit the 3.0 GPA. Don't worry about MCAT for now, just don't. After 2 years are done, and the MCAT done, you might be in decent enough shape to apply. I would apply broadly, and also apply simultaneously to SMP programs, especially those with linkage.

Got it! That makes complete sense. If you don't mind me asking, the pre reqs you are talking about are the Gen Chem, Organic Chem, Physics etc? If that's the case, I've passed all my prereqs or retaken them with a C or higher.... clearly it has still lead to a terrible gpa.

So, I'll just retake all or most of the pre reqs in a reasonable amount of time, doing a "normal' course load opposed to dragging it out 1 or 2 at a time, prove I can handle the course load. Then MCATS when I'm scoring high on the practice tests consistently.

Edit- nevermind.

Only retake the prereqs if you got below a C or if you feel weak in the course content. For your DIY post bacc you need upper level science courses not lower level prereqs. Did you bother to peruse the list of classes posted in @Goro’s quoted passage?

If not here it is again.

What classes should one take in a DIY post-bac??? Things that mimic a medical school curriculum!

Anatomy
Biochem
Bioinformatics
Biostats
Cell Bio
Developmental Biology or Embryology
Histology
Immunology
Med Micro OR Bacteriology and/or Virology
Molecular Bio or Genetics
Neuroscience or Neurobiology
Parasitology (if offered)
Pathology
Physiology
Tumor or Cancer Biology

Stop trying to do this quickly. Redoing the prereqs won’t do anything to impress ADCOMS. You have to take upper level science courses and score extremely well in them. Cs and Bs won’t do you any good. And FYI, you are years away from taking the MCAT much less applying. So slow down and get yourself together.

Hi everyone @Goro @candbgirl @Mr.Smile12

Thank you for your advice two years ago! I was a bit of a disaster, but I think I've cleaned things up and was wondering if you could offer some updated guidance, please?

I stopped trying to rush my reinvention. Instead, I finished up my last semester of school not long after my initial post, graduated, and then took a year or so off to reevaluate my goals and get my life set up for a successful DIY Post Bacc.

1st My job was holding me hostage from doing well in school, but I didn't/don't have a financial support system. A huge obstacle. So I worked first on fixing that:
-I saved up money
-I sold my house
-I got roommates
And most importantly: I quit my job! It was terrifying, but as you'll see, it's the best thing I could have done.

2nd I took an AAMC practice test to see how terrible my content knowledge was. A bit premature, I know, but it was bothering me. I was sure I was going to score in the 400's, especially having done no prep work.

3rd Tonight I just completed my first semester of my DIY Post-Bacc with a 4.0 GPA, 9 credits: I'm so proud!

PCB4960
Molec. Genetics of Cardiovascular System
MCB4330 Medical Immunology
PHY4300* Advanced physics with calculus

* Not a medical school related class, but I had limited options as non degree students get the leftovers.

4th
I got a new job as medical scribe. I'm not sure how, but I got assigned to ~T20 medical school hospital. About 360 hours, but haven't actually counted.

5th Aside from my horrible old job, being a victim of domestic violence and having housing instability was a huge contributing factor to my extremely low GPA. But, I had been going to therapy for it. For the past 1.5 years I have been volunteering as a victim advocate for victims of domestic violence and I testify in court on their behalf. I'm at maybe 400 hours, I haven't been counting though.

What next?
I plan on taking another 9 credits of upper level science classes for the Spring 2023 semester, and I believe I will get a 4.0. I found school to be extremely easy when you don't have a horrible job, even while working a tolerable job and volunteering. I think I should choose science courses that could double as MCAT prep, like advanced biochemistry.

After the Spring 2023 semester, I will only need 9 more credits to get my sGPA to a 3.0. My core GPA is permanently wrecked though, and it will end up a bit over 2.5.

Do you think I could maybe begin considering the possibility of an SMP?

Thank you!

Saved

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Great job. I know it must be hard to get that ball moving to a better place for you, but I know it has helped you. I would certainly take the practice test results as hopeful but not a prediction. Consistency will be your friend there.

I would ask SMP directors about whether you would be a good candidate for their program or what else you need to do. I don't know how you're finances are, and that will be a factor.

• Love
Great job. I know it must be hard to get that ball moving to a better place for you, but I know it has helped you. I would certainly take the practice test results as hopeful but not a prediction. Consistency will be your friend there.

I would ask SMP directors about whether you would be a good candidate for their program or what else you need to do. I don't know how you're finances are, and that will be a factor.
Thank you! I'll start reaching out to them. I saved enough money for an SMP and about 3 years of medical school. Some schools might wipe my savings a bit quicker than others, but in general I have my finances set up to get me through an SMP comfortably.

Nice job. Slow and steady wins the race. Don’t forget some nonclinical volunteering focusing on the unserved/underserved in your community. And keep us posted as you move forward.,

You have “fire in the belly “ for sure! You’ve got this.

• Love
From what I am seeing, it seems like the "will of fire" has been lit in you. I can't wait to read up on your underdog story. Rooting for you ( :

• Love
Nice job. Slow and steady wins the race. Don’t forget some nonclinical volunteering focusing on the unserved/underserved in your community. And keep us posted as you move forward.,
Hi @candbgirl and @Mr.Smile12, I just completed my 2nd semester of my DIY Post-Bacc and have earned a total of 17 credits of upper level sciences with approximately a 3.95 GPA. There aren't a lot of science classes offered that I haven't already taken, so it's been difficult to get a full time course load. I've been keeping busy though by continuing to gain clinical hours, spending time with my professors and a few doctors that have offered to write me recommendations, continuing to volunteer as an advocate for victims of domestic, and I found an amazing volunteer opportunity in an underserved area that aligns with my life perfectly. I also started a little non profit. Very little. But, basically I make soaps that smell like modern perfumes and bring them to foster homes.

The current dilemma is...

This summer, my school is offering no upper level sciences (that I haven't already taken). Is it acceptable to take some lower level sciences? Just for the summer. I do plan on taking a full course load of upper level sciences in the Fall of 2023.

I am SOO close to having my sGPA be at 3.0 and I don't want to miss an opportunity to get it above 3.0.

After I complete the Fall 2023 semester, I'll end up with approximately 29 upper level credits and a GPA of ~3.95 plus a few lower level science credits at 4.0, and my sGPA will then be 3.1 maybe pushing 3.2.

Thank you!

The current dilemma is...

This summer, my school is offering no upper level sciences (that I haven't already taken). Is it acceptable to take some lower level sciences? Just for the summer. I do plan on taking a full course load of upper level sciences in the Fall of 2023.
Depends on what courses are being offered at the lower level and whether you’ve already taken a related course at the upper division level.

You could give yourself a summer break from school if that works with your situation and your path to getting over a 3.0 sGPA.

Depends on what courses are being offered at the lower level and whether you’ve already taken a related course at the upper division level.

You could give yourself a summer break from school if that works with your situation and your path to getting over a 3.0 sGPA.
It would be lower level versions of upper divisions I've already taken. For example, MCB2000 microbiology for health professionals or PHY2000 everyday physics (probably just watch some PBS type documentaries and a little math). Also there are courses not related to upper division courses I've taken, and only accepted by DO schools, but there is geology, ocean science, atmosphere science... all 2000 level.

I don't want to take a break, but I would take a break over the summer if you think these classes would hurt me more than help me. If you think it's neutral or positive, then I would want take them and keep my momentum going and get as far above a 3.0 as I can.

It would be lower level versions of upper divisions I've already taken. For example, MCB2000 microbiology for health professionals or PHY2000 everyday physics (probably just watch some PBS type documentaries and a little math). Also there are courses not related to upper division courses I've taken, and only accepted by DO schools, but there is geology, ocean science, atmosphere science... all 2000 level.

I don't want to take a break, but I would take a break over the summer if you think these classes would hurt me more than help me. If you think it's neutral or positive, then I would want take them and keep my momentum going and get as far above a 3.0 as I can.
These classes won't help you. It would look like you're trying to puff up your GPA.

Agree with Mr. Smile.

You could take a stats class if you haven’t already. It would be useful long term.

• Care
These classes won't help you. It would look like you're trying to puff up your GPA.
Shamelessly trying to puff it up lol. But yeah I guess it looks like I'm gonna have to sit this semester out and use the time to study for the MCAT. (And maybe take a stats class). Thank you!

Hi @Mr.Smile12 and @candbgirl, me again. When I get into med school, Im buying you both presents lol.

So, I have completed 29 credits of my DIY Post Bacc with a 3.97 (I finally found some upper level science courses to take over the summer- not fun, but survived).

I got my cGPA from 2.17 or 2.3 ish to 2.56

I got my sGPA from 2.87 to 3.01 🥳

In the past you mentioned it was reasonable for me to start reaching out to SMP directors. I did. Thank you for the advice! I was so scared and embarrassed to call them, but all the SMP directors were unbelievably kind and receptive--except for one school on Goros naughty list.

A few schools told me I had a chance of acceptance at their medical school pending my MCAT score, but personally I'm really excited for (and prefer) the SMP route. Other SMP's said I am exactly the type of candidate they are looking for.

In your opinions, do you think I should still continue taking post bacc classes or just focus on the MCAT and SMP applications?

Thank you for always reading my mini novels.

Last edited:
  • Love
In your opinions, do you think I should still continue taking post bacc classes or just focus on the MCAT and SMP applications?
I'm curious what the SMP directors think, noting they have an incentive to get you to attend, but they need to be successful in getting you to medical school.

I'm curious what the SMP directors think, noting they have an incentive to get you to attend, but they need to be successful in getting you to medical school.
Time for me to make some calls again

You are doing well. Be sure to take some time for you too. It’s good for the mind and soul.
I don’t know much about SMPS. I think @Mr.Smile12 suggested, go to the source. An additional benefit of calling directors, they might remember you when you apply , and that can’t hurt. Keep working hard.

• Love
Also thinking...

What classes do you have left to take of you were going to continue DIY postbac courses? That is also something to consider. Your overall GPA also only goes up so much.

And money, of course.