WAMC 513/3.69/ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bowel-Plumber

Reaction score
Resolved.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could apply to KCOM instead of Michigan State so that you are in Missouri.

The ties you mentioned to Missouri and NJ are not substantial, and the public schools there take few OOS students. Ditto UConn and Wright State. The OH schools are looking for higher stats.

I suggest:

All SUNY schools
NYMC
Albany
Einstein
Rochester
Hofstra
GW
Georgetown
Dartmouth
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts
Wake
Creighton
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
MCW
Vermont
Penn State
VCU
EVMS
Saint Louis
Wayne State
Oakland

Reactions: 1 user
When making your school list, make sure you're mission-fit, so that your experiences and values that you bring to the table fit with the school's. You have good reasons for cutting out those schools and I agree with the ones you cut out, especially Loyola since you may not fit their mission. Go with chilly_md's list and add in the schools from the your current school list that fit your mission and are going to serve the populations that you are wanting to serve as a physician, that'll be crucial for school selection. Best of luck to you this coming cycle, cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm more concerned with drowning in essays which may lead to a decrease in the quality of my writing (and tank my mental health).
First, kudos for being on the ball and expressing your thoughts.

So did you read...

I actually think the Non-Profit listed above is more leadership than non-clinical volunteering,
Considering you are highlighting how you created this organization, your leadership is more appropriate.
~200 Hours volunteering at my local synagogue. Hours consisted of tutoring students and helping set up for religious events
Could you state your specific hours for tutoring vs religious service preparations?

I harp on nonclinical volunteering and mission fit in these threads. who ultimately benefit.

hosted several drives and swabbed over 250 people
Is not relieving others distress, which is the key point in the definition. It feels like health advocacy but I have to come back and look at your description.

This means 2000 hours goes to leadership. Synagogue hours (teaching or tutoring), and this activity may all not provide enough for "service orientation " according to the competency definition.

Back to mission fit: why do you want to go into a physician role? Other than the community you identify with, what other groups have you served?

Personal: would you consider waiting a year, moving to your SO, gain in-state residence and apply after that? You may lag a couple of years but you would have time to get the other experience you lack.

Last edited:
Would it be better to speak of this in such a way that highlights my volunteering aspect towards bettering our online premed community with a lack of resources due to SES? I feel like this would help me fit better in the service mission which is what many of the schools on my list are interested in.
Which schools on your list have students provide online resources regarding health and wellness to low-SES populations as a way to fulfill its mission to the community or as part of its curriculum? We'd love to support your efforts because what you are doing is in line with what HPSA/SDN is doing... but I'm not sure the same impact your activity has on us will be equal to adcoms.

Also, we can see what the official W/A thread feedback is about your question. I can tell it is important for you in whatever way it is categorized, but I am giving you feedback based on file reviews I have been part of.
Is not relieving others distress, which is the key point in the definition. It feels like health advocacy but I have to come back and look at your description.
You are health screening, just like taking BP's, glucose testing, or vision testing. You are monitoring community health, not relieving others' distress. Again, it's important, but it doesn't fit the definition.

I don't do lists that @chilly_md , @Faha , and @Goro do. I go by mission fit, but the onus is on you on what is important in selecting your list.

That said, how important is your MENA identity when it comes to going to a medical school? Have you checked against the list of school chapters of the AMMSA?