WAMC 4.0 513 ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spongebobcirclepants

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 4.0 sGPA: 4.0
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 513 (132/125/128/128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Kansas
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian Indian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: One of the Umissouris
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 800 hrs as MA; 500 hrs as outpt/main entrance volunteer
  7. Research experience and productivity: 200 hrs cpr research (ab submitted); 100 hrs covid-biologics correlation research (ab pending)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 200+ neurosurg, ortho, pain, ENT, cardiology, gen surg, FM, IM
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 40 hrs campus food pantry; 300+ hrs as Sunday school TA and now started teaching this year 100 hrs
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): First degree Black belt, Almost hafiz of Quran, SI leader 2 semesters, Honors discussion group leader 2 semesters, student org president
  11. Relevant honors or awards: I won some Quran recitation awards but that's mostly it
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: Hafiz of quran is huge time comittment and is something I can talk about for a long time. The journey has been transformative and I'm looking forward to finishing soon.
  13. School List (incomplete): MD: UI-Carver, SLU, MU, UMKC, KU, Creighton, USD-Sanford, UW-Madison, MCW, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, Loyola, Feinberg, Pritzer, IndianaU, UColarado, UOklahoma, OUSCM, UAMS
  14. DO: KCU, Midwestern, DesMoines, Rocky Vista
The list I made based on proximity to home, this is something important to me and I'd prefer not to live on a coast but if I only get an A there, I'd take it. The school list is probably bad though since this is my first time even looking at schools, so I'd appreciate feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. cGPA: 4.0 sGPA: 4.0
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 513 (132/125/128/128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Kansas
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian Indian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: One of the Umissouris
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 800 hrs as MA; 500 hrs as outpt/main entrance volunteer
  7. Research experience and productivity: 200 hrs cpr research (ab submitted); 100 hrs covid-biologics correlation research (ab pending)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 200+ neurosurg, ortho, pain, ENT, cardiology, gen surg, FM, IM
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 40 hrs campus food pantry; 300+ hrs as Sunday school TA and now started teaching this year 100 hrs
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): First degree Black belt, Almost hafiz of Quran, SI leader 2 semesters, Honors discussion group leader 2 semesters, student org president
  11. Relevant honors or awards: I won some Quran recitation awards but that's mostly it
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: Hafiz of quran is huge time comittment and is something I can talk about for a long time. The journey has been transformative and I'm looking forward to finishing soon.
  13. School List (incomplete): MD: UI-Carver, SLU, MU, UMKC, KU, Creighton, USD-Sanford, UW-Madison, MCW, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, Loyola, Feinberg, Pritzer, IndianaU, UColarado, UOklahoma, OUSCM, UAMS
  14. DO: KCU, Midwestern, DesMoines, Rocky Vista
The list I made based on proximity to home, this is something important to me and I'd prefer not to live on a coast but if I only get an A there, I'd take it. The school list is probably bad though since this is my first time even looking at schools, so I'd appreciate feedback.
@Goro @Faha any advice on schools? This list is mainly Midwest schools since I don’t know much about other schools.

You do not have the non-clinical volunteering hours for Loyola or Rush. A lot of the other schools you listed are very in-state focused like OU and South Dakota. You can try KCU, KCOM (Kirksville) and DMU for DO if you really want to stay in the Midwest.

I suggest:

KU
SLU
MU
UMKC
Creighton
MCW
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
Albany
Oakland
Wayne State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Nova MD
Quinnipiac
Tufts
George Washington
Vermont
Wake

Reactions: 1 user
You are allowed to use Google.

I’m sorry, I knew what AMMSA was but didn’t understand what you wanted me to do with this. There’s an AMMSA for my alma mater’s med school and it’s mainly networking and experience panels. Are you suggesting I use this to bolster my app w some Muslim-related experiences?

Our AMMSA is very new so we don’t have the foundations some of the more established ones do. Is there something specifically you’re suggesting I do with AMMSA? I know many of the students in ours very well.

Thanks for the advice. I'll reach out to them. Any additions/subtractions you suggest from the school list the other user sent?
You should find a student community that respects and supports you. Since I don't know you, I cannot provide any further recommendations.