WAMC 3.94/522 FL URM any improvements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naenaesean

Reaction score
I may be psyching myself out but I worry that my letters of rec are too few and only having one science prof may be a weakness. I am conflicted on whether to take a gap year to boost the rest of my app/ form better relationships so that I can have a stronger application and get into a top school. What are my chances of getting into a top school do you guys think without a gap year and would I benefit from the extra year?

cGPA 3.94, sGPA 3.93
522 (131/130/130/131)
FL resident, URM? (white Hispanic male)

Clinical Experience:
200 hours Volunteering in ER
150 hours on campus EMR unit
50 hours volunteering in PT clinic
Projected 800 hours paid scribe position

Research:
1 mid level pub, 3 posters, 1 abstract
Nutrition research, mix of clinical and non clinical research

~200 Shadowing hours, (EM, Cardiology, Family Med, Orthopedic Surgery)

~400 hours nonclinical volunteering through service honor society

Club Volleyball/Beach Volleyball, Salsa club, Classical Piano

Dean’s List every sem, HSF scholar distinction

Service based leadership position in honor society for 1.5 years, non-service leadership position 0.5 year
Beginning Capstone Project come fall about food insecurity
Chem TA 2 years

Letters of Rec:
Advisor for honor society, Science Prof I TA for, PI in lab

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums.

Details on your non-clinical volunteering will help. Please follow the template.

Just so you know, 150 service orientation hours of activities need to be documented when submitting your application to avoid getting screened out at most schools. Teaching/tutoring/mentoring or fundraising does not count toward this number. Some of your food distribution work from your capstone could be considered.

Have you connected with any LMSA officers at the schools that are on your wishlist? If your profile is true, you may be a rockstar and can let the schools recruit you when you talk to admissions staff. All we need is your purpose as a physician.

Welcome to the forums.

Details on your non-clinical volunteering will help. Please follow the template.

Just so you know, 150 service orientation hours of activities need to be documented when submitting your application to avoid getting screened out at most schools. Teaching/tutoring/mentoring or fundraising does not count toward this number. Some of your food distribution work from your capstone could be considered.

Have you connected with any LMSA officers at the schools that are on your wishlist? If your profile is true, you may be a rockstar and can let the schools recruit you when you talk to admissions staff. All we need is your purpose as a physician.
Thank you for the insightful comment! Documentation will be provided for everything except for like shadowing. How does reaching out to LMSA officers work? I'm not too familiar with that. If there is any thread or info you could refer me to that would be great. Thank you again.