WAMC: 3.79 GPA, 517 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lutang

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate and Geisinger admit few applicants with no connection to the state. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
I differ with the self assessment.

1) no primary care shadowing? (You could probably take 50 hours from your ER scribing to put your total to around 100 hours.)
2) were you employed full time at the Title 1 school as a mentor by the school district? If so, this should have been pointed out.
3) you don't have service orientation that is independent of education or healthcare, and that puts your application at risk for getting screened out at many schools
4) average your scores for screening

It is your choice not to put in details about your degree or interest in public health, but then by not wanting to stand out, I can't give you feedback. We can see what your major is on your AMCAS and how it would be useful in medicine. What is better is knowing your mission fit.

Mission Fit: Key to Your Success - SDN

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
a physician who remains involved in medical training and who partakes in local community health initiatives. I am very passionate about education and mentorship and would like to remain involved in that both with the local community as well as the medical environment
That's too vague and didn't let you stand out among a pool of applicants. Prehealth applicants always tutor/mentor/volunteer in classrooms, so it doesn't help you stand out at all. They ask like to take part in Community Health intuition, especially if they just sign up for a volunteer opportunity curated by their college. You don't say what you did with public health in detail, which could be interesting to some people, but if you don't think it's important enough for you to promote, no one else will think it is either.

Do I think you did get interviews? Yes, but only if I knew you had enough interesting information to share with my faculty. You haven't given that information here, and the many people who believe they should get IIs but wind up with a few. Your metrics may keep you in the game, but you still may not be picked unless others can really see you a part of their community. So yes, you can be concerned, but I'm telling you from what happens in committee discussions.

You will do yourself a favor by engaging I service to others less fortunate than yourself. And no more tutoring, unless it's to poor kids.

The more you get out of your comfort zone, the better.

Reactions: 1 user