WAMC 3.7/515 CA ORM- How is my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kuyuka

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.74 sGPA: 3.69
  2. MCAT: 515(130/125/130/130)
  3. CA
  4. White/Middle Eastern
  5. UCI Bio major(in my first gap year)
  6. 2700 paid(EMT) this is the only clinical experience I have. Worked in predominantly low-income regions which helped present me with other perspectives on healthcare.
  7. ~300 hours(1 school symposium poster). 2 different research groups. One was a sleep research lab that involved hands on interaction with patients as well as conducting assessments. the other was research with a group of a few students and an advisor where we created a survey based on migraines and attempted to determine correlations between migraines and several factors including student workload, diet, extracurricular activities, etc.(1 poster from the migraine research)
  8. 20 interventional cardiology
  9. ~200(includes leadership)(volunteering at a mosque as a group leader which involved providing activities for children to partake and watching over them(~150 hrs). The other is a religious org involved in raising funds and providing aid to underserved communities and populations.
  10. other activities: learning assistant for physics class(~20 hours), worked at a restaurant freshman year(~300 hrs), surfing, weightlifting
  • Medical School List:
    • California Northstate University
    • California University of Science and Medicine
    • Kaiser
    • USC
    • Loma Linda
    • Stanford
    • UC Davis
    • UCLA
    • UC Irvine
    • UC San Diego
    • UC Riverside
    • UCSF
    • University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix
    • Emory
    • University of Colorado
    • Geisel
    • Creighton
    • Georgetown
    • U of Miami
    • Tufts
    • Wayne State
    • Drexel
    • Rosalind Franklin
    • Albany

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please follow the template and more details about your activities. Holistic review isn't just about looking at your numbers.

Please follow the template and more details about your activities. Holistic review isn't just about looking at your numbers.
updated

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The main weaknesses in your application are lack of shadowing and non clinical volunteering. You should add another 20+ hours of in person physician shadowing and 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.).
On your school list, California Northstate has accreditation issues. Some of your schools are unrealistic with your stats and ECs.
I suggest these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Belmont
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Davis
UC Riverside (only if you are from that region)
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)

The main weaknesses in your application are lack of shadowing and non clinical volunteering. You should add another 20+ hours of in person physician shadowing and 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.).
On your school list, California Northstate has accreditation issues. Some of your schools are unrealistic with your stats and ECs.
I suggest these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Belmont
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Davis
UC Riverside (only if you are from that region)
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
you don't recommend applying to UCI, UCLA, or UCSD?

additionally, do you think it would be worth taking another gap year if my goal is to get into one of those schools or schools of similar ranking?
if so, what would you recommend be done in this gap year?

additionally, do you think it would be worth taking another gap year if my goal is to get into one of those schools or schools of similar ranking?
You can try those schools (CA residents cannot be persuaded otherwise) but with your low shadowing hours and lack of non clinical volunteering hours you will not be competitive with many other applicants. Those schools are very competitive and a gap year does not guarantee an acceptance.

If your goal is to strengthen your application it's worth considering, but again these schools are super competitive. Nonetheless, it'd give you a better shot at some other schools if you hone in on shadowing/non-clinical

Reactions: 1 user