Vocabulary for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we need to know any extensive vocabulary banks for the CARS section of the MCAT? Like for the SAT, the verbal section required us to know a lot of vocabulary words, did you guys need to freshen up on that?

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: NO.

Long Answer: The CARS section is all passages. It's more about reading comprehension followed by application of the information. Since all words are in context of the passages, even if you don't know what something means you can get the "gist" of the word based on the information around it. Reasoning, comprehension, application, and translation of information to new situations are far more important than remembering the definition of any single word.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Short answer: NO.

Long Answer: The CARS section is all passages. It's more about reading comprehension followed by application of the information. Since all words are in context of the passages, even if you don't know what something means you can get the "gist" of the word based on the information around it. Reasoning, comprehension, application, and translation of information to new situations are far more important than remembering the definition of any single word.
+1

My first language (and whole education) is spanish and I didn't have any issues with the vocabulary on the MCAT. Not to say that the CARS section is, by any means, easy; it's not. Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills.. the name says it all.

Good luck!

I'm so glad hearing that. Any tips on how to do well on the CARS section besides practice? I hear there is logic?

My best tip is to read literary journals, the Atlantic, humanites and social essays. Be able to critique the articles and identify key points. Practice with as many CARS sources as you can find. If you can get old tests just know that the new MCAT will not be science related.

What if you don't understand the vocabulary in the passages?