How to learn/improve medical vocabulary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellabelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was trying to find a website that could help me improve my medical vocabulary. English is not my first language so even though I do know some basic medical terms I don't know the English words for them. I think that's really unfortunate because it makes me sound really stupid. People ask me, "How do you not know this basic medical term?..Are you sure you're Pre-Med?" After they explain to me what the term means, I realize that I do know the term (but in a different language). Of course what other people think is not important but I really need to learn these terms. What do you guys suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I was trying to find a website that could help me improve my medical vocabulary. English is not my first language so even though I do know some basic medical terms I don't know the English words for them. I think that's really unfortunate because it makes me sound really stupid. People ask me, "How do you not know this basic medical term?..Are you sure you're Pre-Med?" After they explain to me what the term means, I realize that I do know the term (but in a different language). Of course what other people think is not important but I really need to learn these terms. What do you guys suggest?

Being pre-med doesn't typically involve knowing very much at all about medicine. If anything, medical students should be classified as pre-med, and undergrads can just be students taking classes.

Last edited:
You will learn medical terms in med school. You will learn life science vocab in undergrad. Don't rush it, but if you want get a medical terminology book.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school has a medical terminology class, you might look into taking that.

Beyond that, don't feel like you need to know because as Bluto described, you don't.

Go work in a hospital in a clinical setting

Take a Medical Terminology course if your undergrad has one. I highly recommend it. Easy A.

Harrison-s-Principles-of-Internal-Medicine-18th-Edition-Longo-Dan-9780071748896.jpg

chop chop OP.

or the medical terminology class like others have suggested.

but if you don't want to waste the money,

images

Might I suggest beginning with the following books to ensure you have an adequate knowledge and vocabulary in medicine prior to starting pre-med coursework:

Netter Anatomy
Costanzo Physiology
Bates' H&P (11th Ed. -- apparently my 10th Ed. is already obsolete! lol...)

For any actual gunners, those really are the core texts of the M1 year, so if you've been accepted somewhere and want to get a head start, lol.... I jest.