Prepping for Med. School Vocabulary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tripwm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay homies, I've searched the forums and read about how useless learning latin and greek is for medical roots. However, I've talked to a few physicians that I'm good friends with, and they were shocked that I essentially have no knowledge in either languages (francais and nihongo are my only languages).

Does anyone have a book recommendation, i.e. http://www.amazon.com/Medical-termi...04/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1293809060&sr=8-16, for something to do?

My last semester in school will only be 9 hours of freshman core classes and 3 for writing my thesis. If I don't want to test my liver every single day, I need something else to occupy my time. If I'm not learning something, I'm pretty sure my head begins to atrophy. i dunz wanna git all stupid.

(in b4 working out//already got it down)

Members don't see this ad.

who is shocked nowadays that people don't know latin? did your physician friends get the memo that it's a dead language? and seriously, who would choose to learn greek over spanish/french? good grief.

sorry to not give you any advice, but I mean, come on. these docs need a reality check.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see why you or others say it's so pointless. It's a shame that people aren't more interested in learning these languages. I see some fun connections in vocab.

example:
Greek: dendron = tree
English: dendrite - looks pretty tree like to me!

I think knowing the language can assist in understanding the terms, not guarantee you know the new terms.

Anyway, like the PP said there are easy ways of helping you out with the vocab if you haven't taken Latin or Ancient Greek.

if you have the extra time, just take a medical terminology class. It's somewhat helpful and an easy A.

if you have the extra time, just take a medical terminology class. It's somewhat helpful and an easy A.

Not all schools have this.

I say...just memorize the dang terms in medical school. Most people get by just fine without all these special languages/terminology courses.

I would say that learning medical Spanish would be just as practical.

However, I have gotten away with not knowing certain disorders because I knew the word roots so I can see how it can be an advantage.

1) Take a medical terminology course if your university offers one. It really is an easy "A."

2) Buy a book on medical terminology or google for a list.

3) Try the instant immersion method. Volunteer at the local hospital and learn the jargon. This is probably the best way.

4) Watch lots of ER!

Prepping for med school vocabulary?

Please, and thank you. You are (presumably) bright and will learn the rest. Enjoy your time before med school starts.