Vmrcm c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I go to VT and also have Verizon. I have service everywhere on campus and surrounding areas (including usually 1 or 2 bars in the first year classrom in the "dungeon"! which is unheard of with other providers)

Also, from what I can tell $220 to $240 seems to be a pretty common price for rabies vax from either the health dept. or Schiffert Health Center on campus.

The $220-$240 figure is per vial, correct? I spoke with my county health department and they said their price was $218 for each vial. They also gave me the name of an infectious disease physician that had the vaccine and would administer it, and their price was $300 per shot. Pricey pricey!!

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know when we should expect our financial aid award letters/email?
This is from the email I got from the financial aid office after they received my FAFSA;
"We will begin sending award notices to both new and continuing students in early April. All students must have a complete FAFSA with no outstanding requirements before receiving an award notice."
But this is from the financial aid website:
"Our office will send an email notification to the student's Virginia Tech email telling the student that their award package is available for viewing online through Hokie SPA or MyVT. If for some reason the student has no Virginia Tech email, the the email address supplied in the FAFSA will be used. These notifications will be sent out early in June, prior to the upcoming aid year."
So not really sure.

Last edited:
As a continuing student, I got my financial award package April 11 last year. So it should be arriving any day now.
Also, my rabies vax through Schiffert were $223 each, no insurance coverage for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am doing some research on US schools to apply to. I am in Canada.

Are there any recommendations for applying to VMRC? I probably will not have my GRE written until Oct, so I am thinking of applying for the 2014 intake.

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks in advance.

Are there any recommendations for applying to VMRC? I probably will not have my GRE written until Oct, so I am thinking of applying for the 2014 intake.

Thanks in advance.

When I started looking for schools, I checked there classes to see if they had electives I was interested in. You should also check the number of Out of State/International students they take....Some schools dont take that many OOS like Georgia and North Carolina. Then check to make sure you have all the prereqs ie classes, vet hours, experience that they require. A lot of the schools require animal nutrition which is a pain in the ass to take. VT doesnt require animal nutrition which is good. VT = VMRCVM....
This website helped me. http://www.aavmc.org/Member-Institutions2.aspx#results

Good luck on your quest for finding a school. :thumbup::xf:

Thanks in advance.

This is from the AAVMC website, it's a snapshot of the VMRCVM requirements.

Virginia Tech and University of Maryland - the two universities that host VMRCVM - put a huge emphasis on undergraduate research, so I'd recommend getting some hours in that if you don't already. =)

Yep yep. VMRCVM loves research experience. Definitely get some if you can.

this is definitely true... but at the admissions counseling session, they admitted that they love grades the most... but it is good (it was for me, at least) that they calculate 3 GPA's

Also, I was told by an a gentleman on the admissions committee that they look for diversity in applicants. Then he said something like "we don't want everyone thinking the same way".
So if you've got something unique about you, play it up in your personal statement. VMRCVM doesn't have additional essays on their supplemental app, so your personal statement is one of your only chances to stand out in a way beyond grades, stats etc...
For what it's worth, I don't have any research experience, but I do have a good GPA and I'm a very non traditional applicant.

Also, I was told by an a gentleman on the admissions committee that they look for diversity in applicants. Then he said something like "we don't want everyone thinking the same way".
So if you've got something unique about you, play it up in your personal statement. VMRCVM doesn't have additional essays on their supplemental app, so your personal statement is one of your only chances to stand out in a way beyond grades, stats etc...
For what it's worth, I don't have any research experience, but I do have a good GPA and I'm a very non traditional applicant.

yeah, i guess they must like diversity because on the flip side, i have really bad grades -- way below 3.0 science GPA, and like 3.02 overall GPA, and they said they don't even consider how hard your undergrad school was (mine is consistently on those "top 10 colleges that will kick your butt," lists, so you get the idea...)
but i do have ridiculous research experience, several publications, and a killer GRE score... so you never know!
also, at VMRCVM, once you make it to interview stage, they don't look at your numbers anymore

just try to be really well-rounded and don't adhere too strictly to those formulaic pre-vet guidelines.

Word. I didn't have any research experience at all, but I did have good grades and test scores and I made a mention of some leadership positions in a multicultural club on campus (completely unrelated from vet stuff), which might have made me stand-out a little.

There's definitely a bunch of different paths you can take to get noticed, so try your best in a couple of different ways!

I don't really consider myself "diverse" by today's standards...white, female, straight out of undergrad Animal Science major....so I made it a point to make myself diverse/stand out (in a good way!) in the interview process. I talked about my wildlife health interest several times, so they knew I wasn't just a puppy cuddler, and I also talked about my research experience whenever I could, which can be challenging with the MMI format. I took whatever scenario they presented and tried to apply it to my own experiences, and I think they really liked that. Also, I openly talked about my faith--I think they liked that I wasn't afraid to address that. Just something to think about!!

Just got a call from Joyce today... I'm in!!! In-state tuition I :love: you! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
what state? and how much are they charging you?
in maryland, the dept. of HHS said it would be ~220 a shot.
i'm still trying to decide where/how much i am willing to pay.
does anyone know if that.. uhh AVMA GHLIT (?) insurance covers it?
or, does anyone remember how much the school itself charged last year for the series?

also, can someone please tell me the pros/cons of the VA Tech insurance vs. the AVMA insurance?
thanks!

the health department in MD where I'm from is slightly cheaper than that with my insurance... I can't remember exactly but I'm from Washington County

Word. I didn't have any research experience at all, but I did have good grades and test scores and I made a mention of some leadership positions in a multicultural club on campus (completely unrelated from vet stuff), which might have made me stand-out a little.

There's definitely a bunch of different paths you can take to get noticed, so try your best in a couple of different ways!

Word indeed. My grades were alright, my GRE's were baller on the verbal side but suffering on the math side - but I chartered a multicultural fraternity on my campus, I have a number of leadership positions under my belt, and I've got a lot of really good, hands-on business experience (I've done consulting, programming, etc for a number of my business classes). And I had a pretty hefty amount of research experience for an undergrad. These helped bigtime. :thumbup:

Just got a call from Joyce today... I'm in!!! In-state tuition I :love: you! Can't wait to meet everyone!

YAY! Congratulations!! Isn't Joyce just the nicest? ;) Can't wait to meet ya =)

me too, now that you told me that I wanna e-mail joyce and ask haha. But I'm pretty hopeful now. And congrats again, that's awesome. I hope to be in your shoes soon!

I've seen 4 total, but still no call... :(
Well, I found out yesterday that I'm #5 on my contract state waitlist and as much as I would rather go to VMRCVM, if I get called off the waitlist I'll be accepting there. I can't argue with an $80,000 savings in tuition.
So don't worry, this game is far from over for many of us, including you.
Good Luck! (and if I decline this offer, I hope my spot goes to you :) )

Well, I found out yesterday that I'm #5 on my contract state waitlist and as much as I would rather go to VMRCVM, if I get called off the waitlist I'll be accepting there. I can't argue with an $80,000 savings in tuition.
So don't worry, this game is far from over for many of us, including you.
Good Luck! (and if I decline this offer, I hope my spot goes to you :) )

Aw thanks :) Good luck with your IS waitlist!

has anyone heard/received anything about finances? a packet? anything?

has anyone heard/received anything about finances? a packet? anything?
Nope, nothing. Maybe it comes after we register for classes-which begins this week! I'm still so ridiculously excited, even when I look at the course load. I'm sure that will wear off though.
Also, if I had a job I'd have something else to think about...

wait, we're registering for classes? did I miss something

wait, we're registering for classes? did I miss something

Just electives, from my understanding. They said we can register for one or both of them, but we have the option of dropping them during Orientation if we're afraid we may have over-committed. ;)

I'm SUPER excited, too! :love:

Just electives, from my understanding. They said we can register for one or both of them, but we have the option of dropping them during Orientation if we're afraid we may have over-committed. ;)

I'm SUPER excited, too! :love:
Hmm...I got the impression that is was for all classes. I guess I'll be sending an email shortly to find out. I'll let y'all know.

Speaking of electives-I'm not really in to either one offered. Is taking one required? I'd rather spend the extra time first semester visiting the various clubs/organizations to see which one(s) I want to join.

errr what are the electives?
also, i'm only on scholar as a guest.... where is this checklist? i am so out of the loop...

errr what are the electives?
also, i'm only on scholar as a guest.... where is this checklist? i am so out of the loop...
Click on the 'CVM class of 2016" tab, at the top of Scholar, then along the left side of the screen, click on 'Resources'. There will be a list of documents for you: registration, rabies vax info, checklist etc..

I am pretty sure you have to sign up for all of the classes. The Registration form gives you the entire list you have to sign up for then an option of Embryology and Domestication. You can pick either or both from what I understand. Sign up begins on April 21st.
go to the scholar webpage to get all the checklists and registration forms.

I declined my offer last Wednesday, but I just posted on SDN yesterday. Hope someone gets my spot!

Hmm...I got the impression that is was for all classes. I guess I'll be sending an email shortly to find out. I'll let y'all know.

Speaking of electives-I'm not really in to either one offered. Is taking one required? I'd rather spend the extra time first semester visiting the various clubs/organizations to see which one(s) I want to join.

You do have the manually register for all the classes. At VT you have to "request" the classes you want, but since you're in vet school, you're pretty much guaranteed getting into the class unless it's a class in 3rd year with a cap.

You have to take a certain number of electives depending on your track, and can easily accumulate them over 3 years. I didn't take embryology but Domestication was an easy A (i.e. grade booster!) and the professor is HILARIOUS!

You do have the manually register for all the classes.

Oh! That's good to know. For some reason I thought they were just going to put us into our 1st year classes automatically, like they did for undergrad at VT. But that makes more sense. =)

I'm registering for both. Domestication seems really interesting and I've heard it's fairly easy. I might change my mind about Embryology though, but we'll see!

This is the response I got from Allison Craft on the questions I emailed her yesterday:
. .
.Yes you can register for both core and electives courses. You are not required to do electives, but you are required to do all the core classes. During orientation Dr. Hodgson and Dr. Pelzer will talk about core and elective courses. After that you can decide to drop or add electives to your schedule. There is only a minimum number of credits you have to have before advancing to the next year. See below:.
. .
.Advance to second year: 35 credits.
.Advance to third year: 70 credits.
.Advance to fourth year: 113 credits.

And for those of us still logging into Scholar as a guest:
.If your PID was newly created scholar will not recognize it until you are registered for classes (so I’m told). It will not affect your ability to register for classes because you will use your PID and password for that not your email that you use for scholar. If you will let me know when you have registered for classes I will remove your email address and add your PID to scholar. Soon all communications will be through your VT email.

Hope this helps:)

Has anyone heard anything from VT about the OOS waitlist lately? I called yesterday and left a message... and sent an email But no reply, I guess they are really busy right now. I really want to see if the list has changed at all or if they have called anyone yet from the OOS waitlist.

Has anyone heard anything from VT about the OOS waitlist lately? I called yesterday and left a message... and sent an email But no reply, I guess they are really busy right now. I really want to see if the list has changed at all or if they have called anyone yet from the OOS waitlist.

I sent them an e-mail Tuesday night when I saw that they went 11 people into the Maryland list. I'm 9th and still haven't heard anything :/ Where are you on the list?

I sent them an e-mail Tuesday night when I saw that they went 11 people into the Maryland list. I'm 9th and still haven't heard anything :/ Where are you on the list?

Wow 11 people for the in state seems pretty far into the list, that gives me lots of hope :). I thought the OOS list would move faster. I'm number 2 on the OOS list, but no word from them yet. I was thinking it's partly because they are accepting a lot more out of state students this year compared to last year and it's just taking them longer to sort it out. I hope we hear something soon!

Wow 11 people for the in state seems pretty far into the list, that gives me lots of hope :). I thought the OOS list would move faster. I'm number 2 on the OOS list, but no word from them yet. I was thinking it's partly because they are accepting a lot more out of state students this year compared to last year and it's just taking them longer to sort it out. I hope we hear something soon!

I've seen 5 OOS kids say they gave up their spots so you HAVE to get a call. I suppose we must just be patient.

I've seen 5 OOS kids say they gave up their spots so you HAVE to get a call. I suppose we must just be patient.

Be careful with that. I've heard that VMRC over accepts OOS, so the spots may have already been filled.

Be careful with that. I've heard that VMRC over accepts OOS, so the spots may have already been filled.

i'd be surprised if most schools didn't over-accept for spots since there are always folks who decline offers.

I just registered for classes...yay! Also, I did some poking around hokiespa and found my financial aid award, so I guess they don't send you an email??

I just registered for classes too! Yay- this is really happening!
Thanks livefor32, because of your post I found my award package in Hokiespa. Although the loan amount made my heart stop for a second :eek: (I'm OOS), its a relief to have everything coming together.
I'm so excited to be moving to Blacksburg, to be a Hokie, to be going to VET SCHOOL and to meet y'all!

Yay, doubling my debt in a single year! :thumbup:

Registered for courses as well. =) So exciting!! :love: