This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all your VMCAS questions and rants here for ease of finding information for the 2018 application cycle.

Good luck all!!

ETA
For questions redirected to VMCAS:

VMCAS Customer Service (Help with the application): 617-612-2884 or [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m stuck at my fall semester freshman year on my transcripts because my freshman seminar was a pass/fail course and it won’t let me enter P as a grade! I can’t find info anywhere on how to enter pass/fail grades in the application. I also have a “listener” grade (L on transcript) for a course senior year because it was way too much work for a class I was taking for fun and I needed to focus more on orgo 2 and physics 2. I doubt it’ll accept L as a grade if it won’t take P

I’m stuck at my fall semester freshman year on my transcripts because my freshman seminar was a pass/fail course and it won’t let me enter P as a grade! I can’t find info anywhere on how to enter pass/fail grades in the application. I also have a “listener” grade (L on transcript) for a course senior year because it was way too much work for a class I was taking for fun and I needed to focus more on orgo 2 and physics 2. I doubt it’ll accept L as a grade if it won’t take P
Enter Narrative Transcripts
If your institution uses a narrative transcript, enter your coursework as described above. If the transcript lists "suggested" credits and/or grades, be sure to enter those as well; otherwise, list the course credits as "0.0" and the grades as "Pass."

Your programs will see the list of classes you took, along with a copy of the official narrative transcript that you submit.

That is from the VMCAS help page. does that work for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Enter Narrative Transcripts
If your institution uses a narrative transcript, enter your coursework as described above. If the transcript lists "suggested" credits and/or grades, be sure to enter those as well; otherwise, list the course credits as "0.0" and the grades as "Pass."

Your programs will see the list of classes you took, along with a copy of the official narrative transcript that you submit.

That is from the VMCAS help page. does that work for you?

I think I saw that, but I didn't know what a "narrative transcript" was. I also did receive credit for the pass/fail courses, so I entered 1.00 credits for freshman seminar and P as the grade (that's how it appears on my transcript). It won't accept "Pass" as a grade. I've filled out every class for fall freshman year but it won't let me save it

I think I saw that, but I didn't know what a "narrative transcript" was. I also did receive credit for the pass/fail courses, so I entered 1.00 credits for freshman seminar and P as the grade (that's how it appears on my transcript). It won't accept "Pass" as a grade. I've filled out every class for fall freshman year but it won't let me save it
Blah. Sounds like you'll have to contact them unless someone else has already done so.
For ease:
VMCAS Customer Service (Help with the application): 617-612-2884 or [email protected]

Reactions: 1 user

This is very unofficial, but when I entered my pass/fail courses, I just put them in as CR or "for credit" because I assumed courses that did not actually affect my GPA, but were on my transcripts, were considered for credit. Also, that's just how I view pass/fail classes. Again, this is just what I did on my application last cycle.

My transcripts have both percentage and letter grades. Do we have the option to choose or is there one type that has to be submitted over another?

Is the course level (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) the level the course is offered or when you actually took the course. For example, would second year courses taken in fourth year be considered second or fourth year for the purpose of inputting courses into the application?

My transcripts have both percentage and letter grades. Do we have the option to choose or is there one type that has to be submitted over another?

I don't remember from my application last year if you have the option to choose percentage or letter grades. You should be able to tell pretty readily when you open that section of VMCAS.

Is the course level (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) the level the course is offered or when you actually took the course. For example, would second year courses taken in fourth year be considered second or fourth year for the purpose of inputting courses into the application?

You enter the courses based on the semester you took them. If you took a second year course during fourth year, you would list the course ID (e.g. BIO 202) in the appropriate semester (e.g. fall semester of fourth year). Does that make sense? If not, I can try to reword that.

I believe it’s your standing when you took that course, not the course level itself.

Transcript Entry: How to Enter Coursework

Towards the middle of this they discuss it :)

Reactions: 1 users
I don't remember from my application last year if you have the option to choose percentage or letter grades. You should be able to tell pretty readily when you open that section of VMCAS.

You enter the courses based on the semester you took them. If you took a second year course during fourth year, you would list the course ID (e.g. BIO 202) in the appropriate semester (e.g. fall semester of fourth year). Does that make sense? If not, I can try to reword that.

I believe it’s your standing when you took that course, not the course level itself.

Towards the middle of this they discuss it :)

Thanks! I appreciate the help. It’s my first year applying. I haven’t started my application because I’m still doing 3 prerequisites this summer and waiting to have my Canadian transcripts evaluated by WES. Good to know that it will become clearer as I work my way through.

Thanks! I appreciate the help. It’s my first year applying. I haven’t started my application because I’m still doing 3 prerequisites this summer and waiting to have my Canadian transcripts evaluated by WES. Good to know that it will become clearer as I work my way through.
Canadian transcripts have to be evaluated?

I posted this before on a different thread, but has anyone had any experience with an unconventional grading system at their university? For example, my university does not have minuses. Our grades go from an A to a B+ to a B, and so on. An is weighted as a 4.0, but a B+ is a 3.5 and a B is a 3.0. However, according to VMCAS their grade conversion for a B+ is a 3.3, which would ultimately lower my GPA when they calculate it. I've tried E-mailing 2 times now and have not heard back yet. I am wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation? Was there anything that was able to be done so the grading is consistent with your university?

I posted this before on a different thread, but has anyone had any experience with an unconventional grading system at their university? For example, my university does not have minuses. Our grades go from an A to a B+ to a B, and so on. An is weighted as a 4.0, but a B+ is a 3.5 and a B is a 3.0. However, according to VMCAS their grade conversion for a B+ is a 3.3, which would ultimately lower my GPA when they calculate it. I've tried E-mailing 2 times now and have not heard back yet. I am wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation? Was there anything that was able to be done so the grading is consistent with your university?
Try calling vmcas. You’ll get a much quicker answer from them versus emailing. It’s possible they’ll adjust it if your transcript has a letter to grade point conversion scale on the back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try calling vmcas. You’ll get a much quicker answer from them versus emailing. It’s possible they’ll adjust it if your transcript has a letter to grade point conversion scale on the back.
Ok, I will definitely give them a call! My transcript provides the letter to grade conversion on the back! Thank you :)

I don't know why anyone would trust any information gained from this site. VMCAS has already highlighted this den of scum as the result of thousands of failed applications.

Reactions: 18 users
Just thought I'd let you know that I spoke to someone on the phone and essentially nothing can be done about it. The only option is to write about it in the explanation statement portion.

would a 91% in a class be an A or a B+? If an A, I dont see what the big deal is since you are basically getting a better GPA than conventional grading systems.

would a 91% in a class be an A or a B+? If an A, I dont see what the big deal is since you are basically getting a better GPA than conventional grading systems.
90-93 is a B+

Hi everyone! Are you guys describing your experiences in bullet points, or with full sentences? I currently have full sentences, but I've seen other people say that schools prefer it to be more straightforward with bullet points rather than full writing. Obviously it all ends in personal choice, but I just have no idea what I want to do and wanted to see what other people were doing:)

Hi everyone! Are you guys describing your experiences in bullet points, or with full sentences? I currently have full sentences, but I've seen other people say that schools prefer it to be more straightforward with bullet points rather than full writing. Obviously it all ends in personal choice, but I just have no idea what I want to do and wanted to see what other people were doing:)
General consensus is that either is acceptable; just be consistent with whichever you choose.

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this whole forum thing so hopefully I'm doing it right. My question has to do with research experience. Basically, I have little to none except for what I've done in my biology and physiology labs. In both labs, we came up with our own experiments, conducted them, and had to make papers/presentations about them. For bio, we plated bacteria, graphed data, and ran PCR and gel electrophoresis. In my physiology lab, we did a behavioral study on horses and we again graphed the data and had to present it in front of our lab. Do you guys think this is appropriate to put on my application, or is it kind of a stretch? Am I better off with not putting any research experience? Thanks in advance.

Canadian transcripts have to be evaluated?

Some US vet schools require the evaluated transcripts be sent to VMCAS. If you want schools to evaluate your courses to make sure you’ve met the prerequisite requirements, then they’ll only accept WES conversions. I run into issues because my university doesn’t use credit hours. 1 credit is considered a full year course and 0.5 credit is considered a one semester course. My concern is that my single semester courses will be considered 3 credit hours instead of the 4 credits required by a lot of schools.

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this whole forum thing so hopefully I'm doing it right. My question has to do with research experience. Basically, I have little to none except for what I've done in my biology and physiology labs. In both labs, we came up with our own experiments, conducted them, and had to make papers/presentations about them. For bio, we plated bacteria, graphed data, and ran PCR and gel electrophoresis. In my physiology lab, we did a behavioral study on horses and we again graphed the data and had to present it in front of our lab. Do you guys think this is appropriate to put on my application, or is it kind of a stretch? Am I better off with not putting any research experience? Thanks in advance.
I believe any research done as part of a class lab is not classified as research experience. I wouldn’t put it personally.

Reactions: 4 users
How do you determine the “subject” for a class that honestly doesn’t really have a defined subject? I had a class that, at my college, is classified as a “Disciplinary Persepctive” class (it’s one of those silly Gen Ed requirements, but it was actually a pretty cool class) titled “Paranormal Phenomenon and Junk Science.”
It was really more of a critical thinking class about how to separate fact from fiction, support arguments with deductive reasoning, and write a near-perfect argumentative paper. I currently have it under “science reading and writing” because that’s the closest I could get. Any idea if VMCAS will consider that correct?

I believe any research done as part of a class lab is not classified as research experience. I wouldn’t put it personally.

This was true for last year's application. The experience you're describing, while valuable, is not true "research experience". The people reading your applications will understand the types of class experiments you did in laboratory classes, which is why they're designated as such. "Research experience" is only for research conducted outside of a class like the laboratory classes you've described.

How do you determine the “subject” for a class that honestly doesn’t really have a defined subject? I had a class that, at my college, is classified as a “Disciplinary Persepctive” class (it’s one of those silly Gen Ed requirements, but it was actually a pretty cool class) titled “Paranormal Phenomenon and Junk Science.”
It was really more of a critical thinking class about how to separate fact from fiction, support arguments with deductive reasoning, and write a near-perfect argumentative paper. I currently have it under “science reading and writing” because that’s the closest I could get. Any idea if VMCAS will consider that correct?

That sounds good to me! The "subject" is what you did in the class, and based on your description, you did "science reading and writing". You can always double check with VMCAS if you're really unsure and want to verify.

Does anyone know if Canadian college grades have to be entered into VMCAS and if those grades are factored into your cumulative gpa? I’m planning on taking a one year college program while I apply to vet schools. I’ve read about U.S. community colleges on admissions sites but nothing about Canadian colleges versus grades from university courses.

Does anyone know if Canadian college grades have to be entered into VMCAS and if those grades are factored into your cumulative gpa? I’m planning on taking a one year college program while I apply to vet schools. I’ve read about U.S. community colleges on admissions sites but nothing about Canadian colleges versus grades from university courses.
All college/university courses have to be entered. It’s still post-secondary education, have to report it.

Where would you put certifications for completing courses (CPR, artificial insemination, etc)? Awards?

I have a similar question about class research, I studied abroad in Costa Rica for one month and did field research studying birds. I know it's still research from a class, but would I be able to count this in my application because it's a bit different from a "typical" lab course?

I have a similar question about class research, I studied abroad in Costa Rica for one month and did field research studying birds. I know it's still research from a class, but would I be able to count this in my application because it's a bit different from a "typical" lab course?
Nah. Anything you do as part of a class or with a class is not actual research.

I think this one is trickier because it’s not your standard Lab section in a lecture class. Was the whole purpose of the class to do research? It’s defintely a cool experience. I think this is one where I’d personally list it as research experience, and then in the description explain it was astudy abroad class doing x, y, z with field research. If schools don’t think it counts, they won’t.

This was true for last year's application. The experience you're describing, while valuable, is not true "research experience". The people reading your applications will understand the types of class experiments you did in laboratory classes, which is why they're designated as such. "Research experience" is only for research conducted outside of a class like the laboratory classes you've described.
Is this true? I don't see where this is indicated.
I had three research-based classes. Two were laboratory classes-both involving the characterization of bacteria strains. One was sequencing a gene and determining if it had a role in a broader project surrounding that bacteria, and one was sequencing the entire bacteria along with studying how it works as an endophyte. The results from both classes are now published. How is it not research experience?

I had a study abroad course that was entirely research based and I included it because it was field work and such in its entirety and was essentially research for credit! It was brought up in my UF interview because they were very curious about it and wanted to know more, so I was glad I included it because it’s something that helps you stand out a little bit more!

Where would you put certifications for completing courses (CPR, artificial insemination, etc)? Awards?
Vmcas help page says to put certifications as extracurricular experiences. The AI one if it was supervised by a vet, I’d put for vet experience and if not, I’d put it under animal experience, rather than general extracurricular experience because you’re dealing with animals

Does anyone have advice on where to put publications? I feel putting them under awards/achievements is off, but didn't want them to get lost in the description of the experience. I'm only second author but did receive a grant to go overseas and do the research, so I guess I can list it under both experiences and awards?

Cheers for the advice!
Vmcas says to list publications or opportunities to present under research in the description of what you were doing. Experiences

I think this one is trickier because it’s not your standard Lab section in a lecture class. Was the whole purpose of the class to do research? It’s defintely a cool experience. I think this is one where I’d personally list it as research experience, and then in the description explain it was astudy abroad class doing x, y, z with field research. If schools don’t think it counts, they won’t.
The class was super cool!! Basically we spent the fall semester meeting once a week to practice identifying the animals that we would see and learn about Costa Rica itself, and then we traveled over winter break for the research! Everyone in the class did research on either ants, butterflies, birds, or bats. Based on your response and a few others as well, I think I'm going to keep it as a research experience since the entire point of the class was research! Thanks for your help :)

Is this true? I don't see where this is indicated.
I had three research-based classes. Two were laboratory classes-both involving the characterization of bacteria strains. One was sequencing a gene and determining if it had a role in a broader project surrounding that bacteria, and one was sequencing the entire bacteria along with studying how it works as an endophyte. The results from both classes are now published. How is it not research experience?

Gotcha. I misunderstood what you meant the first time. I thought you meant that you were doing guided projects not original work. That type of experience sounds more like "research experience" to me, so that's where I would list it.

Hey I am new to this forum and this is my first application cycle but I have been a long time lurker :) I have a question about inputting veterinary experience, basically I have worked for the same company but in 3 different locations over the course of 3 years, I am wondering if I need to input each individual location where I worked or can I put them all together since it was the same job and just my most recent location? Any advice would be appreciated, I am also awaiting a response from VMCAS.

Hey I am new to this forum and this is my first application cycle but I have been a long time lurker :) I have a question about inputting veterinary experience, basically I have worked for the same company but in 3 different locations over the course of 3 years, I am wondering if I need to input each individual location where I worked or can I put them all together since it was the same job and just my most recent location? Any advice would be appreciated, I am also awaiting a response from VMCAS.
If it’s the same job I’d personally just put it under one experience. You can say in the description you worked in three different locations though. Were they all under the same drs?

If it’s the same job I’d personally just put it under one experience. You can say in the description you worked in three different locations though. Were they all under the same drs?

No that's the thing they were different doctors at each location.. so that's why I was thinking maybe it would make more sense to list them separately? But then the description would be the exact same for each minus the address and manager.

No that's the thing they were different doctors at each location.. so that's why I was thinking maybe it would make more sense to list them separately? But then the description would be the exact same for each minus the address and manager.
If it’s different doctors, I’d probably list them separately.

When entering experiences and such- how do I go about entering something like 4-H? The terminology included in the form that you fill out is essentially geared towards work experience. I'm not sure what to put for something like "status" where your options are part time, full time, etc. because it was a club where those terms don't really apply. I'm also not sure how much specific start/end dates matter. I have no idea what day I officially started the one cashier job I had the summer after high school! I'm sure I could dig back through phone records and such to see when I went in for an interview but... how important is that really?

When entering experiences and such- how do I go about entering something like 4-H? The terminology included in the form that you fill out is essentially geared towards work experience. I'm not sure what to put for something like "status" where your options are part time, full time, etc. because it was a club where those terms don't really apply.
When I applied three years ago, I just listed all club activities under part-time, if I remember correctly. I honestly don't think that it's a big deal however you decide to classify it.

I'm also not sure how much specific start/end dates matter. I have no idea what day I officially started the one cashier job I had the summer after high school! I'm sure I could dig back through phone records and such to see when I went in for an interview but... how important is that really?
Not very. I would simply try to approximate the time of the month that you started and pick a date from there. It's highly doubtful that any adcomm is going to contact your employer to confirm a detail like that for a short summer job after high school, anyway. Especially so since it's not vet- or animal-related.

I realize that this is much easier said than done, but try to not overthink the small things. :)