====Virginia Commonwealth Univ/ MCV Class of 2012====

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Only thing I have is a 'banner ID', which I'm taking to be a student ID. Everything else is listed as unavailable.

Thanks; it was my saving grace. Likewise!

Try going to http://eidmanager.vcu.edu and clicking on eID Finder.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm... problem is that that wants my VCU Card number, which I don't have issued yet either according to the app status page.

You gotta start reading more carefully. It wants only 2 out of 3 from that list. You said you have your V number (banner ID) and I'm hoping that you know your date of birth :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You gotta start reading more carefully. It wants only 2 out of 3 from that list. You said you have your V number (banner ID) and I'm hoping that you know your date of birth :)

Oh man. Duh. How embarrassing. Good thing I didn't read as perfunctorily on the MCAT!

Thanks.. it found me. Sorry to waste your time spelling it out...

Pseudoknot,
I know CBIL has textbooks for student's use, and most classes have syllabus, however, do you have any recommendation on books before beginning classes?

Pseudoknot,
I know CBIL has textbooks for student's use, and most classes have syllabus, however, do you have any recommendation on books before beginning classes?
Well, if you're talking about prereading before classes, don't even think about it. You will start out with biochem and population medicine, which are pretty easy. If you preread a day or two before each lecture you'll be doing far better than most (I don't know anyone who consistently does this). But really, they do start you out slow and you don't need to worry about reading anything at this point.

That being said, once the quarter starts, some people do prefer to rely mostly on the syllabus and others (like me) like to use books. They will give you a book list before orientation starts that contains "required" and "optional" books for each course. Now, really there are no required books, because everyone will follow their syllabus. The required book for biochem is Lehninger's 4th ed. I didn't buy it, but did use the excellent Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochemistry (really halfway between a brief textbook and a review). The syllabus for biochem is generally excellent as well.

For population medicine, some of the lectures were pretty confusing and the syllabus is of varying quality. I read the assigned book "Clinical Epidemiology: The Essentials" by Fletcher, which was extremely clear and very short. I highly recommend it.

For genetics the syllabus is sufficient.

Also, the BRS Biochemistry book is a good source of review questions if you find that helpful. Someone will be selling a CD called M1 Oracles that has old (very old) exam questions, which are more or less useful depending on the class and whether you like doing questions.

There, that should get you through til anatomy starts :)

thanks pseudoknot for answering all our questions! :D

Well, if you're talking about prereading before classes, don't even think about it. You will start out with biochem and population medicine, which are pretty easy. If you preread a day or two before each lecture you'll be doing far better than most (I don't know anyone who consistently does this). But really, they do start you out slow and you don't need to worry about reading anything at this point.

That being said, once the quarter starts, some people do prefer to rely mostly on the syllabus and others (like me) like to use books. They will give you a book list before orientation starts that contains "required" and "optional" books for each course. Now, really there are no required books, because everyone will follow their syllabus. The required book for biochem is Lehninger's 4th ed. I didn't buy it, but did use the excellent Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochemistry (really halfway between a brief textbook and a review). The syllabus for biochem is generally excellent as well.

For population medicine, some of the lectures were pretty confusing and the syllabus is of varying quality. I read the assigned book "Clinical Epidemiology: The Essentials" by Fletcher, which was extremely clear and very short. I highly recommend it.

For genetics the syllabus is sufficient.

Also, the BRS Biochemistry book is a good source of review questions if you find that helpful. Someone will be selling a CD called M1 Oracles that has old (very old) exam questions, which are more or less useful depending on the class and whether you like doing questions.

There, that should get you through til anatomy starts :)

thank you for your post. i have another quick question:

i'm trying to establish a sleeping habit that will serve me at least for the first two years of school. when do you think we'll have our earliest class in the morning at vcu? i really hope none of the classes start any sooner than 9am.

also, do all the first year med students go to class together or are we going to be divided in different sections. i really can't imagine whats it gonna be like...i wonder whether we would be headed by a 'perfect/head boy' for a feast every night after class and then the dean would speak to us to warn us about the dark magic of the dead bodies in anatomy lab :confused::eek::scared:

i'm trying to establish a sleeping habit that will serve me at least for the first two years of school. when do you think we'll have our earliest class in the morning at vcu? i really hope none of the classes start any sooner than 9am.

also, do all the first year med students go to class together or are we going to be divided in different sections. i really can't imagine whats it gonna be like...i wonder whether we would be headed by a 'perfect/head boy' for a feast every night after class and then the dean would speak to us to warn us about the dark magic of the dead bodies in anatomy lab :confused::eek::scared:

You're getting a bit too hardcore about med school my friend. P = MD

If you plan on attending all of the classes (which many people don't do) your first class will be at 8am everyday. Don't worry about that now, you'll get used to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pseudoknot,

Books you need for first year:
Netters and Rohen's + netter's flashcards for anatomy (they recommend Grants but it sucks) Dont buy an Netter's yet. Some clubs you sign up for may give you one when you pay the fee (AMSA). Your M2 Buddy may give you theirs too.

Costanzo Physiology
Haines Neuroanatomy Atlas
Bates Guide to history and physicals

The other required books are relatively useless. If you need something to flesh out one of the points in the syllabus, you can go to CBIL and look through the books there. Save your money and dont buy anything now. If you have to only buy the 3 books at the bottom.

You will find out quickly that class is optional. In pretty much every class but anatomy the syllabus is sufficient. Anatomy requires an atlas. Sleeping shouldnt be a problem. You wont have enough work to keep you up at night.
The first week everyone is tired. After that you'll get used to it.

Med school will be like college except you have more work and dont drink as much.

Nice, i like P=psychiatry

I'm planning on buying every possible textbook, on the grounds that I don't actually have to pay for them. :) About the classes... during the interview I remember something about classes from 8-12 everyday and then small groups on Friday. Is that about right?

I'm planning on buying every possible textbook, on the grounds that I don't actually have to pay for them. :) About the classes... during the interview I remember something about classes from 8-12 everyday and then small groups on Friday. Is that about right?
Class is normally from 8-12. As an M1, you will have FCM (Foundations of Clinical Medicine) on Wednesdays or Thursdays from 1-4 (alternating between working in a primary care doctor's office and a small group). There will also be some TBL sessions but I don't remember them usually being on Fridays. I think they vary. Our first semester there seemed to be a lot of things scheduled in the afternoons, but the curriculum office said it was the result of bugs in a new system and they would try to fix it next time. For this semester, our afternoons are mostly free, which is nice.

FP is Family Practice. I was half joking though. P=MD means if you pass everything, you become a doctor. Of course, it doesn't mean every door will be open to you. Don't worry too much about that until you have to.

Ouch! Don't discourage our newbies from Family Medicine! Besides, no med professional should bash any specialty! :cool:

If you check out the NBME's Match data, doing just average or less can get you a position fairly easily in these:

pathology, internal medicine, ob/gyn, anesthesiology, general surgery, emergency medicine, pediatrics, physical medicine and rehabilitation, as well family medicine!

And, 1 out of 18 Family Practice residents are AOA (top of class)!
:oops:

Ouch! Don't discourage our newbies from Family Medicine! Besides, no med professional should bash any specialty! :cool:

If you check out the NBME's Match data, doing just average or less can get you a position fairly easily in these:

pathology, internal medicine, ob/gyn, anesthesiology, general surgery, emergency medicine, pediatrics, physical medicine and rehabilitation, as well family medicine!

And, 1 out of 18 Family Practice residents are AOA (top of class)!
:oops:

As I said, I was somewhat kidding, but I can understand the sensitivity and I don't mean to bash any specialty, as we have enough of that on SDN as it is.

It is true, however, that primary care specialties are at the bottom of the heap along with psychiatry for competitiveness of obtaining *any* residency position. Also, I think that matching into anesthesia, GS, and EM for someone doing average or worse is far from assured.

My point is really just that your options will be narrowed if you're at the bottom of your class, and I don't think it's a good idea to have the goal of just getting by. Med school is very difficult, and it's impossible to learn everything, and we all go into that survival mode every once in a while. But I can't see someone saying "P=MD" without making a comment!

Your point is well taken that some of the best students do go into less competitive specialties by choice. That supports the point i was really making: if you want a really good FM or IM residency, or one in a desirable location, you still have to do well.

There are no bad specialties, just bad doctors ;)

Hey guys, i remember the interview guides telling me about MSB 2. Has construction on that started? If so when will it be done? Will it be like MSB 1? Dr. WC told me it will be built because VCU plans to expand the class size over the next few years.

Hey guys, i remember the interview guides telling me about MSB 2. Has construction on that started? If so when will it be done? Will it be like MSB 1? Dr. WC told me it will be built because VCU plans to expand the class size over the next few years.

last time I checked MCV, no. They are still completing the bed tower. Before MSB2 comes up, I think sanger has to come down or rather the old West Hospital. Those are still in the grand scheme of things. (Unless it's started since January, then I wouldn't know, but I doubt it)

No. I don't even know where it is going to go. I think they only got tentative approval from the legislature a few months ago. They are working on the Critical Care Tower, but I think that's the only major construction project currently at the MCV campus.

And yes, there is talk of an increase in class size, but that will not be for a while. Seems like a bad idea to me, as 186 is already pretty large. Maybe they could expand the INOVA program without impacting educational quality, but I wonder how many more the main campus could/should absorb.

They are also looking into reducing the preclinical curriculum to 18 months, but that is again in the very early planning stages and will not change anything for a number of years (sadly!).

Do you know when the critical care hospital will be done?

I spoke with a current medical student and they said that MSB2 was well under way. Right next to MSB 1 and beside hunton i believe. I don't remember what the campus looks like.

I know an MD sitting on one of the VA advisory boards and she told me the plan was to eventually make INOVA a 4 year campus, so I would guess that would expand the # of students coming out of MCV, and I do agree that wouldn't really impact richmond, but darned if I'd want to give up Constanzo's physiology lectures and advice (maybe they could get her to visit ffx for that block?). And not sure where they'd stick an anatomy lab at INOVA. Maybe once they build their new tower, they could use part of the old tower. Rumor has it that construction project won't be started till 2010/11.

Hey Guys,

Here is the official master plan for the MCV campus at VCU. According to the link below, we will eventually sooner or later have a brand new school of medicine. It will take the place of the West hospital and AD williams. Looking at the plans, the school of medicine building looks huge! There will also be a new school of public health.

Check it out! :eek:

http://www.vcu.edu/fmd/masterplan_final2004.pdf

Hey Guys,

Here is the official master plan for the MCV campus at VCU. According to the link below, we will eventually sooner or later have a brand new school of medicine. It will take the place of the West hospital and AD williams. Looking at the plans, the school of medicine building looks huge! There will also be a new school of public health.

Check it out! :eek:

http://www.vcu.edu/fmd/masterplan_final2004.pdf

i think you're looking at VCU 2020. That's a very tentative plan of what VCU hopes to do by 2020 and it was established in 2004. The SoM already looks great with the Egyptian Building and MSB being your home for 2 years as well as a very nice CBIL mezzanine in MSB.

oh yeah it definitely is vcu 2020. i'll see if i can find out when the SOM construction is planned for.

No actually I dont think that stuff is for 2020. Some of the monroe park stuff may be but the MCV stuff is not.

p11- School of Allied health building is already beginning construction.
p12-15 MSB II is underconstruction and should be done in the next year or so
p 16 The nursing school building has already been completed (you guys didnt see it on your tour)
p 17 Hunton hall renovations are also completed
p18 Massey Cancer Center has already been completed- you probably didnt see this on your tour
p19The Critical care tower is under construction and will open in august
p20-21 are parking lots on MCV campus

No actually I dont think that stuff is for 2020. Some of the monroe park stuff may be but the MCV stuff is not.

p11- School of Allied health building is already beginning construction.
p12-15 MSB II is underconstruction and should be done in the next year or so
p 16 The nursing school building has already been completed (you guys didnt see it on your tour)
p 17 Hunton hall renovations are also completed
p18 Massey Cancer Center has already been completed- you probably didnt see this on your tour
p19The Critical care tower is under construction and will open in august
p20-21 are parking lots on MCV campus

Yeah the plan is CALLED vcu 2020 but a ton of stuff is already underway. 2020 is the year set for ALL construction on Monroe and MCV. I just can't wait till the demolition of the west hospital and AD williams buildings. When that happens, you know that means SOM will be coming!

I hope everyone got that orientation email.

For whoever that crazy person was that was looking for a bed time I have a routine that I really like. I go to bed at 10 or 10:30 and I'm usually up by 6:00. I need to leave at 7:35 to get to school, so I have lots of time to wake up in the morning--whether this means that I have a cup of coffee and watch CNN or I do some studying/pre-reading. A lot of people I know are working it this way---if you're not a class goer, you can do whatever you want!

For whoever that crazy person was that was looking for a bed time I have a routine that I really like. I go to bed at 10 or 10:30 and I'm usually up by 6:00. I need to leave at 7:35 to get to school, so I have lots of time to wake up in the morning--whether this means that I have a cup of coffee and watch CNN or I do some studying/pre-reading. A lot of people I know are working it this way---if you're not a class goer, you can do whatever you want!

Ok so obviously i'm into fitness. im just wondering if you know anyone who does/thinks its possible to get to the gym before class. I cannot function without a morning workout. Seriously, i am dead to the world until i start sweating. it's nice to hear though, that you are able to stop studying early enough to go to bed at 10. i guess i'm just trying to gauge if it's normal to go to bed on the early side in med school. sorry that was kind of rambling :D

Ok so obviously i'm into fitness. im just wondering if you know anyone who does/thinks its possible to get to the gym before class. I cannot function without a morning workout. Seriously, i am dead to the world until i start sweating. it's nice to hear though, that you are able to stop studying early enough to go to bed at 10. i guess i'm just trying to gauge if it's normal to go to bed on the early side in med school. sorry that was kind of rambling :D

I think most people tend to go after, or instead, but if you like to get up really early you can do whatever you want.

Lately I feel like going to class at 10 works pretty well for me...not too early but less risk of wasting the whole day than if I don't go at all...anyway I need to go to bed as I have a histo practical at 8 tomorrow!

Yeah the plan is CALLED vcu 2020 but a ton of stuff is already underway. 2020 is the year set for ALL construction on Monroe and MCV. I just can't wait till the demolition of the west hospital and AD williams buildings. When that happens, you know that means SOM will be coming!

Ah, you're about to get a rough introduction to the world of VCU or rather "Trani" politics if you think VCU 2020 will be completely by 2020. :laugh: Going to undergrad there, you'll know that construction projects, even for a student lounge, will take an extra 6 months-1yr. And now we're talking about building a hospital?

I BELIEVE IN TRANI! :rolleyes:
Rather...TRANI FOR PRESIDENT (of the country) ! :laugh:

Ah, you're about to get a rough introduction to the world of VCU or rather "Trani" politics if you think VCU 2020 will be completely by 2020. :laugh: Going to undergrad there, you'll know that construction projects, even for a student lounge, will take an extra 6 months-1yr. And now we're talking about building a hospital?

I BELIEVE IN TRANI! :rolleyes:
Rather...TRANI FOR PRESIDENT (of the country) ! :laugh:

It is nice to note that MCV is pretty much autonomous from VCU which is why most on the MCV campus, especially those before the name change, still call the school MCV. Really Trani has very little control over the goings on at MCV because of autonomous funding which drastically exceeds the funding for the VCU undergrad.

Major construction projects are almost always delayed. This is not specific to VCU or schools in general.

honestly, the facilities at MCV are already top notch. I'm way more than satisfied with what they have to offer. I'm just drooling at the thought of even more!:eek:

instatewaiter and pseudoknot, do you guys live in the MCV housing or in apartments nearby? do a lot of med students choose mcv housing?

honestly, the facilities at MCV are already top notch. I'm way more than satisfied with what they have to offer. I'm just drooling at the thought of even more!:eek:

instatewaiter and pseudoknot, do you guys live in the MCV housing or in apartments nearby? do a lot of med students choose mcv housing?

I live in the Carytown area, about 5 miles west of MCV. I know a few first years who live in the dorms, but I haven't seen them myself. It's not hard to find housing off campus.

I think we should all get this flag:

90361D0D-57F0-4543-A2C6-0605209DB56E.jpg

It's pretty awesome!

Bookstore address:
http://www.vcu-mcvalumni.org/cgi-an...CUMC&type=merchandise&htmlfile=merch_main.htm

I live in the Carytown area, about 5 miles west of MCV. I know a few first years who live in the dorms, but I haven't seen them myself. It's not hard to find housing off campus.

There are only a few people in my class that live in dorms (I can think of 1 off hand). Most in my class live downtown followed closely by those that live in the fan. Some live in the West end or southside. Generally those are people who have families or bought their own house. Outside of the actual city the housing prices are much cheaper and the commute is not bad.

There are only a few people in my class that live in dorms (I can think of 1 off hand). Most in my class live downtown followed closely by those that live in the fan. Some live in the West end or southside. Generally those are people who have families or bought their own house. Outside of the actual city the housing prices are much cheaper and the commute is not bad.

Also note that outside the city it's safer. Even though MCV may have you think that you don't need a car...you DEF need a car. Walmart, costco, malls, any sort of shopping rather, is heavily dependent on a car.

hey all!
i'm coming up this saturday to look at apartments in the areas where students live, can any current students think of apartment building, condos, etc. that are popular for students? thanks so much everyone :)

How useful is second look? I'm not sure if I want to spend one of my last free Saturdays wandering around Richmond if it's going to be me and three other people.

Also note that outside the city it's safer. Even though MCV may have you think that you don't need a car...you DEF need a car. Walmart, costco, malls, any sort of shopping rather, is heavily dependent on a car.

I may be wrong on this but I thought MCV required you to have a car since you have get to your preceptor.

Tobacco Row is really popular.

Those apts are also really nice but a bit on the pricier side.
Generally things downtown are a bit more expensive than the fan, which is a bit more expensive than outside the city.

If you are looking to live w/in walking distance, stay downtown. shockoe bottom is a good choice, a bit further away is tobacco row like Vicinihil said, and a bit further still is church hill. Generally if you stay on the south side of broad and the north side of cary street you will be ok.