====Virginia Commonwealth Univ/ MCV Class of 2012====

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Julietcf14

I'd rather be hiking
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people got accepted a few days ago and thought I would start a thread where people could post about VCU/MCV. So, does anyone know for sure that they are going to go to VCU?? Any current students want to give us some information or advice???

I am really excited about my acceptance. I really loved the school when I visited.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I got my acceptance last week, and I am pretty sure I will be going there. Now all I have to worry about is finding an apartment near the campus....and how I'll pay for all of this.

Yeah, I got my acceptance last week, and I am pretty sure I will be going there. Now all I have to worry about is finding an apartment near the campus....and how I'll pay for all of this.

ditto! those tuition numbers are scary :eek: but not as bad as out of state :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am out of state so the tuition is very scary! BUT, the rent is cheaper in Richmond than in So Cal so I am pretty excited! There are 1 bedroom apartments from $650 to $750 a month near campus. Thats amazingly cheap ... I pay close to that for a room in a house with 4 other people.

I'm also from SoCal so the rent is NOTHING in Richmond. I currently live in Irvine in Orange County and pay $1000 just for my own room! It's crazy.

I really can't wait a whole year to start, I want to be in school again. I graduated a year ago and have just been working full time this year, and let me tell you, working full time sucks.

Congrats to everyone!

Meister, are you definitely planning to attend MCV?

pay $1000 just for my own room! It's crazy.

That's definitely crazy. I'm thinking of buying a house, since I know I'll be in Richmond for four years, and renting the rooms out to other students.

I lived in richmond for 2 years while getting my masters at VCU. If you are willing to drive to campus, there are very nice places located in the "West End" of richmond.

The west end is very sub-urban and is close to lots of restaurants and a very nice mall called Short Pump.

The average 1 bedroom apartment in downtown richmond is about $800, generally about 700-800 sqft. I lived in the River Lofts for a year and really liked it there. It is kind of pricey for 1 person, but fairly resonable for 2 people. 1200-1300 sqft apt goes for $1300 a month. I would check that place out.

Grats to all of you who got in. Also, Jo-Jo's on main street has awesome pizza (5 min walk from Sanger Hall). :)

Hi all, I'll be there too :)

I'll be shopping for a place to crash a couple of nights/wk (depending on weather, how close to an exam we are), so if you're the sort of person who would rather have an apt. to yourself, but could use a little help w/ the rent, PM me. Will also trade very excellent food of your choice (DH is a chef -lobster, anyone?)
I have a post over on non-trad explaining my personal insanity and need to spend time in the car.

Totally loved the campus, way more than I expected to, both very excited and very "What did I get myself into?" at the same time. The whole day there was so hospitable and open, made my other visits seem shabby.

Does anyone remember how the grading system works there? I know they told us, can't remember. Pass, high pass, honors? Is there a curve? Not that it matters (yet), but someone asked me, and I felt like a doof for not knowing.

Hey all congratulations on getting accepted. I am an M2 at VCU and I love it. In respose to the above post the grading system is honor, high pass, pass, marginal, fail. And there isn't really a curve. Hope that helps!

The whole day there was so hospitable and open

My student guide was just so cool about explaining what it's really like to be a student. Also, I have never seen someone exibit a computer lab with that much genuine emotion. Clearly, at least some VCU students are really attached to CBL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone remember how the grading system works there? I know they told us, can't remember. Pass, high pass, honors? Is there a curve? Not that it matters (yet), but someone asked me, and I felt like a doof for not knowing.

To expand on what tangent said:

Above 92- honors
Above 86- High Pass
Above ~70ish- Pass
65-70- Marginal Pass (not really a passing grade)
Below that- Fail

There is no curve just a straight grading scale so 100% of the class could honor any given class. Exams are generally multiple choice with a few exceptions and either given either in hard format (most of 1st year) or on the computer (most of second year) to prepare you for boards.

PM me if you have questions.

100% of the class could honor any given class

I'm guessing that doesn't happen often. How common is it to fail a test?

No- people don't fail that often. Usually if it does happen it has little to do with the material and something else is going on in their life.

To expand on what tangent said:

Above 92- honors
Above 86- High Pass
Above ~70ish- Pass
65-70- Marginal Pass (not really a passing grade)
Below that- Fail

There is no curve just a straight grading scale so 100% of the class could honor any given class. Exams are generally multiple choice with a few exceptions and either given either in hard format (most of 1st year) or on the computer (most of second year) to prepare you for boards.

PM me if you have questions.

I'm not sure what year you are in, but if you have already taken the boards, this question is for you: How well do you think MCV prepares you for the boards? I didn't know that most of the tests during 2nd year were on the computer (I think it's a great idea to get us used to Step 1). I was told a bit about Costanzo and how she does a lot of the Step 1 preparation, but in terms of the M1 and M2 classes, did you find the classes well taught, were the tests (both in questions and scope of information) similar to the Boards?

Anyone with what some may consider "sub-par" stats get into VCU? I'm really hoping to get accepted...

I'm not sure what year you are in, but if you have already taken the boards, this question is for you: How well do you think MCV prepares you for the boards? I didn't know that most of the tests during 2nd year were on the computer (I think it's a great idea to get us used to Step 1). I was told a bit about Costanzo and how she does a lot of the Step 1 preparation, but in terms of the M1 and M2 classes, did you find the classes well taught, were the tests (both in questions and scope of information) similar to the Boards?

I am an M2 so I don't take boards until this summer. I can tell you that we have already been in contact with Constanzo several times to discuss what we need to be doing now to do well on boards. Since I haven't taken the boards yet I can't say how similar our exam questions are, but I do know for the past few years they have been changing more and more questions to be board-type ie. clinical senarios. In fact we just took our Endocrine exam which was 100% clinical board-type questions.

I am an M2 so I don't take boards until this summer. I can tell you that we have already been in contact with Constanzo several times to discuss what we need to be doing now to do well on boards. Since I haven't taken the boards yet I can't say how similar our exam questions are, but I do know for the past few years they have been changing more and more questions to be board-type ie. clinical senarios. In fact we just took our Endocrine exam which was 100% clinical board-type questions.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your input. Based on your meetings so far with Costanzo and anything you may have heard from upperclassmen, do you think these meetings are/have been useful?

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your input. Based on your meetings so far with Costanzo and anything you may have heard from upperclassmen, do you think these meetings are/have been useful?

Yes. After the last class got their scores back they filled out this long survey and Dr. Costanzo gave us the results (a 40 page booklet). For the question, "what was particularly profitable in your study approuch" almost all the responses were "Do everything Dr. Costanzo says and you will do great" Hope that helps!

Congrats to all of you for getting accepted! :)
I am a first year at VCU, so if you have any questions or anything, feel free to PM me.
Happy Thanksgiving! :)

hey everyone! quick question... my computer is currently failing and I'm looking at getting a new laptop. Any suggestions on type? I'd like to get a mac but I've never had one and don't like the idea of being the only one without a PC if they're popular. So basically, what works best at VCU? thank!

I'm an M1 and I have a MacBook, I love it and it works great. Most of the computer usage you will do is just the usual email, web browsing, and whatever else you want to do.

The only exception is that for anatomy we have this program with ~800 practice questions, and it only runs under Windows. Your options as a Mac user are to run the program on a PC at the computer lab, or run Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp (ships with current Macs, but you need a copy of Windows).

I really do recommend the Mac though. They're awesome. Then again, I am an Apple zealot. Really, get whatever computer you want, it'll be fine.

PS. I'm not the only Mac user. In fact our class president has one too!

I was wondering about the mac/microsoft thing myself. Do you actually haul a laptop with you? B/C I'd need to get myself something more lightweight if I was actually going to carry it often.

Also wondering about parking...how horrendous is it? My tour guides didn't use cars at all to go to class.

I dont have a laptop and I am doing just fine. Some people take their laptops, others dont, it is totally up to you.
I usually take a bus to school, so I dont know much about parking. I can tell you that there is a school lot pretty close that you can pay $3.50 a day, I never had a problem parking there when I needed to drive.

Oh, I also have a mac and I love it! :)

I was wondering about the mac/microsoft thing myself. Do you actually haul a laptop with you? B/C I'd need to get myself something more lightweight if I was actually going to carry it often.
I do sometimes. If I'm going to study on campus, sometimes I like to have the computer around, but I haven't been doing that so much lately. (Plus for anatomy I mostly use books, so I don't want to carry them and my computer.) It's really going to depend on what you want to do and what resources you use; for some blocks I've preferred to look at the syllabus and slides online instead of on paper, because of color and weight issues.

Also wondering about parking...how horrendous is it? My tour guides didn't use cars at all to go to class.
Hmm. Well, as you've seen by now, there's not really a lot of parking in the immediate vicinity of the med school, nor will there ever be unless underground construction becomes dramatically cheaper. There are two lots each about half a mile away from campus that a lot of people use, although I wasn't able to get a permit for either of those in the fall semester because they were sold out. The lot I use is almost a mile away but there is a shuttle that runs back and forth. Parking passes are about $120-160/semester depending on which lot you get (they are specific to each lot).

Evenings and weekends you can park on the street nearby, and on the weekends you can also park in the patient parking structure right by the hospital.

Some people live close enough to school that they walk, and I think a few bike as well. Some also use the bus; I did this for a while and it's really convenient in the morning, but seems to take a long time to get home in the afternoon, so I've been driving lately.

So yeah, the parking situation isn't terrific, but it's workable.

I think I only brought my laptop twice during M1 and I haven't brought it yet during M2. I don't have any parking complaints. The lot at the bottom of the hill where almost all the med students park has a shuttle if you don't want to walk from the lot, but I always walk because its a nice way to wake up before class. I just paid $115 for my spring semester pass.

Congrats to everyone who got in! I have really found that having an apartment on the campus busline is the most convenient (for me). The campus bus is free with a student ID and they run every 10 minutes in the morning. In the afternoon its more unreliable and sometimes runs 20 min apart due to traffic. But, I'm always a 15 minute commute from the gross lab! If you want to be on the bus line and want a few apartments to look into when the time comes, feel free to PM me!! Good luck to those of you who are still waiting!!

Oh, and I use my laptop (a PC) everyday (I'm an M1). Its really a personal preference thing. I found that taking notes was crippling my hand (I'm a litle OCD when it comes to notes and I have to write everything down) so typing has been more practical for me. I debated getting a mac, also, but didn't want to have to buy a copy of windows so that I could run the gross and neuro software.

Any new Dec 15th acceptances out there who know they want to go to VCU?!?!?!

Its looking good! I really loved Richmond!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does VCU have a second look?

Congrats to all the acceptances! :hardy:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does VCU have a second look?

Congrats to all the acceptances! :hardy:

Yes, for the very first time this year we will be having one. I can't remember when it is off the top of my head. I will try to find out.

Was anyone here from the Sept 24th interview?

While I havent taken the boards yet, most upperclassmen say that MCV does an excellent job preparing your for the boards and telling you what to study. In all honesty, most schools will teach the same material in the first 2 years and everyone will use the same books to study for boards. The distinction that I liked about MCV was the board review (a few days of very high yield material) and how Dr Costanzo will sit down with you and make a schedule of exactly what to study on each day.

Your board score is more a function of what you can retain over 2 years, how diligent you are over your board cram time, if you know what to study, and how well you are organized. Really your school cant help too much with the first 2 but MCV does an excellent job with the last 2.

Generally MCV averages 220 however each year there are people who score in the upper 250s and 260s and a few people who fail (95-99% pass rate).

Failing a class
There are a few people each year who fail some classes. You need to fail/marginal pass 2 courses to have to repeat the year. Those who fail generally have extenuating circumstances rather than being unable to do the work. It is pretty hard to fail and it is pretty rare.

The meetings are phenomenal. She will look at your grades in certain classes and tailor a board study schedule for you. She writes the physiology board book most medical students use for the boards and is a phenomenal teacher. I have been told that she also writes some questions for the boards. She knows her stuff and it is comforting to know that she knows what she is talking about.

You have to park about 4 blocks from class and walk up a hill. It's kinda a pain in the butt but after a while you get used to it. Really it's not all that bad.

The mac might not be a great idea. My roommate has a mac and has had some problems running the programs they have for us. The stuff first year has been a problem for mac users, the stuff 2nd year has not. I am not sure they fixed the glitches for the current M1s but they may have.

Stuff that involves the computer:
Anatomy: Head to toe program & head and neck program
Histo- all digital slides (this was really nice)
Neuro- DVD disections and pathways

All path images during the whole M2 year on online.
Various online quizzes during M2
Interactive cases online

Congrats on all the acceptances guys! I'm most likely going here next year also!:D

Thanks for all the info Instate Waiter! It's really helpful!

This is for instatewaiter or psuedoknot or any other current student.

First off, thank you so much for all your advice and for answering our questions. I have a few more for you if you don't mind.

1) About the grading system... I think I remember it being low pass/pass/high pass/honors right? Do people intently keep track of this or is it more of a "I passed and WOW I got honors... didn't see that coming" kinda of thing?

2) Are the students competitive or do they work together?

3) Are classes mandatory?

4) Whats your favorite thing about VCU and what is one thing you would change?

Again, to all of the current VCU students that have been answering our questions... thank you so much! I am sure we will have more questions before Aug arrives!

1) About the grading system... I think I remember it being low pass/pass/high pass/honors right? Do people intently keep track of this or is it more of a "I passed and WOW I got honors... didn't see that coming" kinda of thing?
1a: The grading system is based on straight percentages:
>=92% Honors
>=86% High Pass
>~70% Pass (pass depends on the standard error measurement, but is usually around 70%)
65% +/- 1 SEM is a Marginal Pass, below that is a Fail.

1b: This is dependent on the individual student. I definitely keep an eye on my grades as do many of my friends, but a lot of other people don't. We have the option to stay after most exams and self grade so we have a rough idea of our score, and not everyone does this but most do.

Again this varies. Most people are very cooperative and helpful; people are very good about sharing study guides and such. Some people find that they prefer to study alone, but that's a personal choice. Most MCV students would say that the cooperative atmosphere of the school is one of its best qualities. I also don't think there is any contradiction between being competitive and working together, as I know a lot of students who try to do well but have no problem helping others.

Most lectures are not mandatory. We do occasionally have team-based learning sessions (think PBL), or lectures with patients. These are usually mandatory, often scheduled in the afternoons, and generally a complete waste of time.

My three favorite things, in no order:
- my classmates
- the relatively frequent, non-cumulative exams
- the awesome clinical resources (we have everything and it's very easy to shadow docs here, and even as an M1 you often get to do stuff)

My least favorite thing is the team-based learning, and I also wish the administration were more responsive.

This is for instatewaiter or psuedoknot or any other current student.

First off, thank you so much for all your advice and for answering our questions. I have a few more for you if you don't mind.

Again, to all of the current VCU students that have been answering our questions... thank you so much! I am sure we will have more questions before Aug arrives!

I'll go ahead and anwer too but I think Psuedoknot covered most of it.

1) As pseudo said, the grading scale is fixed.
>=92% Honors
>=86% High Pass
>~70% Pass (pass depends on the standard error measurement, but is usually around 70%)
65% +/- 1 SEM is a Marginal Pass (not technically a passing grade)

The great thing about this is that everyone knows that the person next to you could do great and it makes no difference in your grade. This makes people very, very cooperative. For every test people post charts, study sheets and the like that probably took them a few hours to create. They know it will make your score better but it doesnt matter.

Some schools have a pass/fail system. In reality this is not functionally different than the system we have at MCV. Those schools with pass/fail systems still rank students compared to their classmates and this rank will be revealed in the deans letter to residency programs. So while divisions may not be visible to students, they still are there.

There really are 3 tiers of students at MCV. Those that try and just pass everything (P= MD) those that try and honor everything, and the people in the middle. You will figure out where you stand by the middle of 1st year.

2) Everyone is very cooperative. Unless I havent met them yet, I dont think we have any gunners in my class. Sure we have very strong students but they are always nice.

3) Classes arent mandatory with the rare exception (ethics, FCM, TBL or anything with patients) I go to about 50% of the classes (if that). You really dont have to go since everything is provided for you in the syllabus. I find it easier for me to go through the syllabus on my own. I do very well in my classes even though I dont really go to that many classes. Again, you'll figure out what works best for you.

4) The faculty are nice, helpful and receptive to concerns. The hospital is enormous and the clinical exposure is top notch. With the expansion of the Critical care tower our hospital should be near 1000 beds. Almost all of the researchers and doctors at MCV are very open to having medical students in their labs or shadow them.

The thing that I would change is the urban campus. This is a plus and minus. It is good because of the patient population it provides and the volume of cases we see. That said, I really like rural campuses. I just think they are
prettier.

The only other thing I would change is the name back to MCV. All the doctors call it MCV, most of the students do too, and the hospital is called MCV hospital. Just personal preference though.

thank you guys for all of your responses. i have a couple of acceptances, but i am very much entertaining the idea of spending the next four years in richmond. i have a few more questions that i would like to ask; please response in your free time.

1. I'm from Northern VA, which is less than a couple of hours away from mcv. since i'll be there for four years, i'm thinking of buying a house/condo. is it feasible? if i buy a condo, i'll probably buy a one bedroom one, but for a house though, i would need several roommates to share the mortgage and all that. do you think its worth buying a house? is buying property pretty common among mcv students?

2. i'm hoping to have a car during med school. i was wondering how much is the permit for semester parking at mcv campus? since i'll have a car, i can live a little farther from the campus for cheaper apt. but is it more preferable to pay a little bit more for the rent and live close to campus. that way, i'll have instant access to school libraries and all other facilities.

3. its almost time for me to upgrade my cell phone. for as little as $50, i can get a nice blackberry from cingular. do you think it would be useful to have it around during the first two years at mcv?

thank you again for all the info.

1. I'm from Northern VA, which is less than a couple of hours away from mcv. since i'll be there for four years, i'm thinking of buying a house/condo. is it feasible? if i buy a condo, i'll probably buy a one bedroom one, but for a house though, i would need several roommates to share the mortgage and all that. do you think its worth buying a house? is buying property pretty common among mcv students?
This one I don't know too much about since I rent. Several of my classmates have bought homes or condos though.

2. i'm hoping to have a car during med school. i was wondering how much is the permit for semester parking at mcv campus? since i'll have a car, i can live a little farther from the campus for cheaper apt. but is it more preferable to pay a little bit more for the rent and live close to campus. that way, i'll have instant access to school libraries and all other facilities.
Parking passes are $118 (A lot and I lot) or $160 (8th St deck) per semester. It is more expensive to live very close to campus, but some people do it. I live about five miles west of MCV and it's pretty convenient.

3. its almost time for me to upgrade my cell phone. for as little as $50, i can get a nice blackberry from cingular. do you think it would be useful to have it around during the first two years at mcv?
It's not going to be "useful" for med school but if you like having instant email access, get it! I have an iPhone with AT&T service (which is not bad in Richmond) and love it, but it's not like it studies for me or anything.

Aside from paying the deposit and filling out the matriculation fee (both needs to be turned in before 2 weeks of acceptance notice), there are a bunch of other forms that need to be turned in. Do these need to be turned in ASAP?

Aside from paying the deposit and filling out the matriculation fee (both needs to be turned in before 2 weeks of acceptance notice), there are a bunch of other forms that need to be turned in. Do these need to be turned in ASAP?

Also, does anyone know what financial stuff we need to fill out? They talked about a special financial form, but I don't know what that is... maybe I dreamt that up.

does mcv have a dormitory for medical students?

They have a graduate dormitory. Very few medical students live there ( i know of only 1). Most rent an apt. I would recommend against staying in a dorm unless you have to. Rent in R-Va is cheap so you're not going to be saving that much if anything at all by living in a dorm. Plus its a dorm. Do you really want to live in a dorm as opposed to your own apt?

I would turn them in soon but I dont think that is going to make you drop your acceptance if you dont. Get in the instate form soon if you are instate.

Also note that you need a credit report too. They make their students do this so that they are cognizant about their current financial situation. So you might want to think about getting on that too.

They have a graduate dormitory. Very few medical students live there ( i know of only 1). Most rent an apt. I would recommend against staying in a dorm unless you have to. Rent in R-Va is cheap so you're not going to be saving that much if anything at all by living in a dorm. Plus its a dorm. Do you really want to live in a dorm as opposed to your own apt?

I would turn them in soon but I dont think that is going to make you drop your acceptance if you dont. Get in the instate form soon if you are instate.

Also note that you need a credit report too. They make their students do this so that they are cognizant about their current financial situation. So you might want to think about getting on that too.

but as a first year student though, i don't know any other incoming freshman; so should i just get a one bedroom apt? i was thinking it would be better if i could live with some of my classmates during my first year (either in dorms or off campus; and you are right, i would prefer offcampus). do mcv students put a housing ads anywhere that we can check out? thanks

thank you guys for all of your responses. i have a couple of acceptances, but i am very much entertaining the idea of spending the next four years in richmond. i have a few more questions that i would like to ask; please response in your free time.

thank you again for all the info.

I am an M1 who decided to buy a house and get a couple of roommates to share the cost. I guess I will tell you in a couple of years if it was a good choice or not, but so far it seems to be working well. I know several people in our class that bought their places and many chose condos mainly because they are lower maintenance and more abundant around campus. Although the condos I looked at would have worked out to be more expensive than a house (when you add in not having roommates and the monthly condo fees, etc). If you have specific questions about buying you can PM me.

Also, if you dont mind a 15 minute walk in the morning, there is an area where you can park for free and I have never had trouble finding a space.... you can PM me about that too :)