====Virginia Commonwealth Univ/ MCV Class of 2012====

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
but as a first year student though, i don't know any other incoming freshman; so should i just get a one bedroom apt? i was thinking it would be better if i could live with some of my classmates during my first year (either in dorms or off campus; and you are right, i would prefer offcampus). do mcv students put a housing ads anywhere that we can check out? thanks

My class started a Facebook group in the summer before school started, and a lot of us met that way. I know some people who found their roommates on the facebook group too. It isn't very hard to find housing in Richmond so I wouldn't worry about it for a while.

As for the financial aid forms, there are a lot of them and you do need to make sure they get in, but most of them weren't due until closer to when school started (say a month or two would be fine). You do need to read the finaid website and the orientation website (once it's up) very carefully though because there isn't a good centralized list of what you need to turn in.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what VCU wants in terms of paperwork for the HPSP program? I won't be commissioned until March, but I want to make sure VCU knows that the Army is paying and doesn't try and charge me anything.

has anyone turned in all of the paperwork yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've turned in everything except the immunization forms.

Does anyone know what VCU wants in terms of paperwork for the HPSP program? I won't be commissioned until March, but I want to make sure VCU knows that the Army is paying and doesn't try and charge me anything.

Hey! I think my recruiter mentioned you (not by name, just a girl going to VCU w/ Army HPSP and he said there was only 1). Anyway, I'm trying to decide right now whether or not to do HPSP and it is driving me crazy. How did you decide??
And for others/students at MCV- are there many HPSP scholarship people there?

Hey! I think my recruiter mentioned you (not by name, just a girl going to VCU w/ Army HPSP and he said there was only 1). Anyway, I'm trying to decide right now whether or not to do HPSP and it is driving me crazy. How did you decide??
And for others/students at MCV- are there many HPSP scholarship people there?

There are about 4 or 5 in my class that I can think of. There may be more.

I'd read some of the old posts in the military medicine forum here before doing HPSP, if I were you. You can always repay the loans.

Pseudoknot is right, you should do research. The program has it's points, but it's definitely something you want to think about before signing on the dotted line.

Hi everyone,
I'm planning on moving to Richmond soon and working until school starts. Does anyone have advice on housing super-close to campus. I'd like to be under a 10 minute walk. So far I've found Shockoe Properties which has several nice buildings in the 'slip' and then a few nice random buildings just east of 95. Any insight would be appreciated!
-Adrian

There are various areas within walking distance going from closest to farthest:

Actual downtown- top of the hill near MCV
Shockoe bottom- bottom of the hill
Church hill. - back up the other side of the hill

Generally a good rule of thumb is live SOUTH of broad street.
A few blocks north of broad street is very seedy in church hil and a few blocks north of that is the projects. South of broad street is a good area with a decent buffer zone between you and the bad area of town.

A little trivia: churchill is where the "give me liberty or give me death speech" was held.

DowntownRichmondNeighborhoods.jpg

So the red line that goes through the word church hill is broad street.
Across the red line from the state capital is where MCV is.

To give you an idea about walking from churchhill, MCV is on 11th street.

Does anyone know when second look is? I think they're doing it for the first time this year.

I am pretty sure it is Febuary 23rd

There are various areas within walking distance going from closest to farthest:

Actual downtown- top of the hill near MCV
Shockoe bottom- bottom of the hill
Church hill. - back up the other side of the hill

Generally a good rule of thumb is live SOUTH of broad street.
A few blocks north of broad street is very seedy in church hil and a few blocks north of that is the projects. South of broad street is a good area with a decent buffer zone between you and the bad area of town.

A little trivia: churchill is where the "give me liberty or give me death speech" was held.

DowntownRichmondNeighborhoods.jpg

So the red line that goes through the word church hill is broad street.
Across the red line from the state capital is where MCV is.

To give you an idea about walking from churchhill, MCV is on 11th street.

i'm hoping to have a car during med school (mainly b/c my home is only an hour and half away); but i don't mind walking to class everyday or taking the bus for that matter. i however would prefer to share a room with a good parking spot. is parking a big problem in richmond? so considering i would need a parking spot, and i don't mind walking to class: which of the three location would be the best: Actual downtown (top of the hill near MCV), Shockoe bottom (bottom of the hill) or Church hill?

I was going through the Allopathic forum and saw a thread about research in med school. In terms of MCV, when is the best time to work on research and how difficult is it to participate in research at the school/hospital?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going through the Allopathic forum and saw a thread about research in med school. In terms of MCV, when is the best time to work on research and how difficult is it to participate in research at the school/hospital?

does anyone know when the white coat ceremony will be for the class of 2012?

As with all med schools with traditional curricula, the only time "off" for research is the summer between the first and second years (two months). It is not at all hard to find professors with either basic or clinical projects to work on during that time. Some have their own funding, and there are also 15 summer fellowships the Dean's office gives out. I am just looking into this myself so I don't have more details on the funding part. I know at least one M2 who has continued to work in a lab part time but I don't know how much he really does that--I hear M2 courses can take a bit of time!

It's also possible to do chart reviews or case reports pretty much anytime during weekends, and you can do research as a 4th year elective. Again, pretty standard.

They are also starting a year-out program where you add a year after M2 or M3 to do research and possibly get an MS, but if you want to know more about that you should get in touch with Dr. Gordon Archer, the Associate Dean for Research. I think his office runs that program, along with the MD/PhD program.

i'm pretty sure the february 23rd one is for prospective students (not applicants this year, etc.) i only know this since my premed club sends a lot of people (I went last year) and the application indicated it was geared towards those applying/considering applying in the future

Yeah, I'm 100% sure that the event on February 23rd is not second look. It's actually a VCU school of Medicine open house for prospective students. Pretty neat event.

hey all,

does anyone know when financial aid forms have to be turned in?

There are different deadlines for everything. If you turn in the FAFSA before March and the other stuff about two months before school starts you will be fine, although that's probably not the absolute latest you can get away with.

hey all,

does anyone know when financial aid forms have to be turned in?

I know for Undergrads the priority deadline was March 1st, I do not see how that would be different for Med Students. But just to be on the safe side I would do my fafsa by March 1st.

wow, this is a very quiet thread.

i just called vcu financial aid today, and i don't think that fafsa has to be filed by march 1. I'm not entirely sure though. they told me that the deadlines are different for undergrads and grads. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

as to that comment about this thread quiet,

let's make some noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::barf::wow::lol::beat::boom:

We've been told that for continuing students the deadline is April 30, but I would strongly urge you all to just do it now. It's not that hard and then you won't have to worry about it. Also I don't know that the deadline is the same for new students!

i am gonna finish my fafsa as soon as my parents finish theirs, that way I dont have to go back and make changes to it.

anyone interested in joining a facebook group if I start one for our class?

Since we seem to be on the subject of dates...what's the deadline for the immunization form?

I spoke with the secretary and she says that forms just need to be turned in before school starts.

i'm surprised no one's started a facebook group yet! i know the dent and pharm classes already have em!

i'm in state for VCU. i was wondering if anyone knows about any scholarship offers from VCU. do we get any additional scholarship other than federal loan and grad plus loans? thanks

I think pseudoknot would be in a better position to answer this question. I briefly remember the fin aid counselor mentioning something about scholarships and need-based aid, but I am not 100% sure.

hey vmp200, how come i can't search for the facebook group. It doesn't show up when i type in keywords like: medical college of virginia 2012, vcu, etc ?:confused: Thanks for making the group though!

hey vmp200, how come i can't search for the facebook group. It doesn't show up when i type in keywords like: medical college of virginia 2012, vcu, etc ?:confused: Thanks for making the group though!

I tried searching for the group after creating it, and I got the same result as you did. Not sure if it takes a day for it to show up on search results. I am going to search again tomorrow and see what happens.

mmmcat> Have you already joined?

I tried searching for the group after creating it, and I got the same result as you did. Not sure if it takes a day for it to show up on search results. I am going to search again tomorrow and see what happens.

mmmcat> Have you already joined?

I think if you go to "edit group" and then click on the "customize" tab. At the very bottom of the page is an option that may allow the group to be searched.

I'm gonna wait awhile to join the group cause I'm not really 100% sure that i'll end up at MCV. It's about 90% though right now. I hope to join it soon though!!!! Thanks vmp200

I think if you go to "edit group" and then click on the "customize" tab. At the very bottom of the page is an option that may allow the group to be searched.

I'm gonna wait awhile to join the group cause I'm not really 100% sure that i'll end up at MCV. It's about 90% though right now. I hope to join it soon though!!!! Thanks vmp200

I checked that tab, and that box is already enabled.

i'm in state for VCU. i was wondering if anyone knows about any scholarship offers from VCU. do we get any additional scholarship other than federal loan and grad plus loans? thanks

There are scholarships, of varying sizes and qualifications. You just need to fill out the FAFSA, Need Access, and the scholarship application on the admissions status website (it will appear at some point if it hasn't already--it's really short). If you do those three things, don't worry about it. The finaid office will sort through everything and let you know, usually by email, if you got anything.

I don't understand how we are supposed to do FAFSA without having the 2007 tax return forms??

pseudoknot,
are upperclassmen required to be present during white coat ceremony? or is it just the new students, family, faculty, and etc?

pseudoknot,
are upperclassmen required to be present during white coat ceremony? or is it just the new students, family, faculty, and etc?

No, it's just for the new students. I didn't see any M2s or above when I was there. I'm not sure if it's technically "required" even for M1s in the sense that they will kick you out if you don't go, like roll call. Maybe.

I don't understand how we are supposed to do FAFSA without having the 2007 tax return forms??

Well, presumably you'd need to have those available. I think the absolute deadline for the FAFSA and Need Access is at the end of April so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm just suggesting to do it earlier if you can.

One of you should find out what the deadline is for new students this year, from the financial aid office.

No, it's just for the new students. I didn't see any M2s or above when I was there. I'm not sure if it's technically "required" even for M1s in the sense that they will kick you out if you don't go, like roll call. Maybe.

thanks for the info.
yea it would be really silly to kick someone out just because of that.

anyone got cool plans this summer?

The finaid person at our interview session said what every other finaid officer at my other interviews said, which was not to expect much in the way of aid, but then followed w/ a number of average aid received, which was in the 5-10,000 range. I don't believe she said whether instate status was a factor or not.

Also wanted to say that I saw the just-finished annex to INOVA Ffx, for the 3rd and 4th years there, and it was totally awesome. Though the seating in the lecture hall was so cushy, I'd be worried I'd fall asleep :)

How long until you guys got your email address? I've been waiting for a week and a half and I'm impatient! :)

I don't know, it was already set up by the time I got in, but that wasn't until May or so.

Nice MCAT, by the way.

Only thing I have is a 'banner ID', which I'm taking to be a student ID. Everything else is listed as unavailable.

Thanks; it was my saving grace. Likewise!