====Virginia Commonwealth Univ/ MCV Class of 2012====

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I chose INOVA on my secondary (and actually got it) because of some personal reasons, though I'm from Cali. However, it doesn't make sense for me to go there anymore, but am wondering if it's a worthwhile change from the MCV campus? Is it a nice area? also, how expensive is living there?

Cost of living is cheaper than say, San Jose/ San Fran, but higher than Richmond. Look at Craigslist Northern Virginia to get an idea of rent. I would say the cost of other expenses is negligible (maybe 5% higher cost for food, fuel) compared to Richmond.

I agree w/ above post that the major difference clinically is the trauma service. I also think Richmond has a much higher Afr-American pop. (as in black americans) vs INOVA's immigrant pop (as in, a little of everything, esp Asian and hispanic but also immigrant Africans). You also meet a lot of Amer. citizens who immigrated from other areas to be in DC, from WWII vets who stayed here to work for the gov't, to former diplomats who live here because the US is home, but they don't quite fit in where they grew up.

The high percentage of military personnel, combined with the immigrant pop, gives our area a different flavor than other places. Some people describe it as a cleaner, safer, smaller, more laid-back/southern-style NYC. It feels suburban but is culturally diverse.

Members don't see this ad.

i have an 05 camry so its probably not gonna be that expensive. i just don't want to switch all my driving info to va only to have to do it again when i come back to cali (which i hope to do). after you got your license # changed, how are places that have your driver license # on file get notified of the change?

also...anyone know when we get out for winter break and when school resumes?

Personal property tax is dirt cheap at this point. They've all but phased out the tax, and unless you drive an expensive car, you won't pay much. I pay very little on a 2005 Civic. Now, if the car is worth over $30k, the property tax reduction doesn't apply, and you will pay through the nose. But if you have that expensive a car, would it really be that much of an issue to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on calling Anthem/GM Southwest to get some more specifics on their plans, but wanted to solicit thoughts from those of you who have chosen Anthem.

1. Anthem's Mental Health coverage does not meet VCU's compliance.* So, how did you get VCU to accept the alternative insurance?

2. How difficult is it to find an Anthem in-network provider? It would suck if I opt for this "fantastic" plan only to be stuck driving 60 miles out of my way to find a physician in the network. Thoughts?

*ironically, GM Southwest doesn't either in the general categories - it covers only at 75%, not 80% ... but that's another issue :)

Thanks for any input!

2. How difficult is it to find an Anthem in-network provider? It would suck if I opt for this "fantastic" plan only to be stuck driving 60 miles out of my way to find a physician in the network. Thoughts?
Anthem is your typical Blue Cross Blue Shield, so it wont be difficult to find providers right next door.

If you go here http://providerdirectory.anthem.com/main.asp you can get the full list of providers in richmond.

Sorry, somebody else will have to respond to your other question. Requiring inpatient/outpatient mental health coverage is bogus.

VCU will pretty much accept any plan you have. All the requirements are relatively bogus. They barely looked at my plan before I got the OK.

Really, dont get GM Southwest. Literally everyone I know that got it has had problems with it. It really sucks big time.

i know it's been asked before but don't recall if it's been explicity answered. do we print out the alternative insurance form and mail it to the insurance company then have them mail it to the school (or to us, then we give it to the school?) do they get it notarized or do we?

thanks

VCU will pretty much accept any plan you have. All the requirements are relatively bogus. They barely looked at my plan before I got the OK.

Really, dont get GM Southwest. Literally everyone I know that got it has had problems with it. It really sucks big time.

i know it's been asked before but don't recall if it's been explicity answered. do we print out the alternative insurance form and mail it to the insurance company then have them mail it to the school (or to us, then we give it to the school?) do they get it notarized or do we?

thanks
Holy crap I totally forgot about that form. Great more paperwork! Hopefully I can get it taken care of in 10 days...

Hey...how much do you pay, if you dont mind me asking (you can PM me)?. I have an '06 Civic and need to know how much it'll set me back for my budget. Compared to VA, things in FL are a breeze. Insurance is only $50/month and the yearly registration is no more than $30, and that's it. Yall have to get annual safety inspections and biennial emissions testing, right?

Ok, looking at my tax for this year, it's $150 for the 12 months in Fairfax County. This county is one of the most expensive in the state, though, and when I was in Blacksburg at Tech, the rate was about half that. I'm not sure what it'll be in Henrico County where Richmond is, but I'm guessing somewhere in between.

You can probably get insured somewhere around the same rate here (maybe a bit higher for theft in the city of Richmond) and yearly registration is more - I think about 70 or so.

Safety inspections run around $15 and emissions are around $25. On a new car, you should have no problem passing either.

thanks

I called my insurance company about this. They said to give the form to the person who does the insurance forms in my doctor's office. I did that, got it notarized, and sent the form to MCV myself.

I did not know that.

Yeah, I didn't either...it's pretty weird to me. In California every city is contained within a county, even if they are geographically the same (SF for example). Here they are apparently pretty much interchangeable. At any rate, I think the tax rate might be higher in Henrico than Richmond, but I don't really know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called my insurance company about this. They said to give the form to the person who does the insurance forms in my doctor's office. I did that, got it notarized, and sent the form to MCV myself.
What do you mean got it notarized? Wouldn't the person at the doctor's office have to be present?

ok just called va dmv for hte 3rd time and it is confirmed (once again) that you do not need to have va license/registration/title if you're a full time student and not employed (just wanted to share for anyone whose still doubtful like me)

with that then, does anyone know if we need to get any state inspections/emissions done still?

are window decals still used there? i saw them when i went for my interviews, and what are they for?

also if anyone was wondering...i called the admissions office who told me to call brenda jones for tuition question and once you're out of state...you're always considered out of state, especiallyfor medical students. might be able to reconsider if you marry someone in va but we're basically stuck w/ out of state tuition.

also..i've looked at a couple auto insurance companies.. basically they all come to around 80-90/month is this reasonable?

no spectacular coverage or anything

ok just called va dmv for hte 3rd time and it is confirmed (once again) that you do not need to have va license/registration/title if you're a full time student and not employed (just wanted to share for anyone whose still doubtful like me)

with that then, does anyone know if we need to get any state inspections/emissions done still?

are window decals still used there? i saw them when i went for my interviews, and what are they for?

also if anyone was wondering...i called the admissions office who told me to call brenda jones for tuition question and once you're out of state...you're always considered out of state, especiallyfor medical students. might be able to reconsider if you marry someone in va but we're basically stuck w/ out of state tuition.

If you're keeping your out of state plates, you won't need to get VA state inspections or emissions done. Basically, you'll just have to do everything you'd need to do on an annual basis in your home state, and keep things current.

There are two window decals used - one is for safety inspection and the other is for personal property tax validation. Some counties no longer require the county decal, but I believe most still do. Again, though, if you're keeping out of state plates, neither of those will apply to you.

also..i've looked at a couple auto insurance companies.. basically they all come to around 80-90/month is this reasonable?

no spectacular coverage or anything

I had a great experience with Geico. Awful experience with Erie. Of course, those are both n=1 anecdotes, so take it as you will.

Ok, looking at my tax for this year, it's $150 for the 12 months in Fairfax County. This county is one of the most expensive in the state, though, and when I was in Blacksburg at Tech, the rate was about half that. I'm not sure what it'll be in Henrico County where Richmond is, but I'm guessing somewhere in between.

You can probably get insured somewhere around the same rate here (maybe a bit higher for theft in the city of Richmond) and yearly registration is more - I think about 70 or so.

Safety inspections run around $15 and emissions are around $25. On a new car, you should have no problem passing either.
Thanks Minky, that's not nearly as high as I was thinking.

I have a Geico quote for $59/month. That's with the minimal coverage and $1000 comprehensive and collision deductibles for an '06 Civic at a Glen Allen address.

I'm picking between Anthem's Flexible Choice and the Healthsmart with Enhanced Drug Benefits (2 of the 5 products that showed up when I got a quote). I'm thinking of choosing a $5000 deductible, hopefully I won't need to use the hospital that much. Is that reasonable or should I do $2500? Does anybody recommend one plan over the other or have other suggestions? Thanks!

I'm picking between Anthem's Flexible Choice and the Healthsmart with Enhanced Drug Benefits (2 of the 5 products that showed up when I got a quote). I'm thinking of choosing a $5000 deductible, hopefully I won't need to use the hospital that much. Is that reasonable or should I do $2500? Does anybody recommend one plan over the other or have other suggestions? Thanks!

I really wouldn't be comfortable with more than a $500 deductible, but I guess it depends on how much you like to gamble. Make sure you have that much cash in the bank!

I'll be doing the $5,000 deductible for sure. Here's my (risky) logic: There's no way I'll be spending more than $500/yr for health services (I honestly never go), unless something terrible happens (knock on wood), so a $500 deductible is pointless in that regard. If some freak accident does happen, and I only have a $500 deductible, then I'll still have to pay 20% coinsurance on a huge bill anyway. The $5,000 deductible comes with a 0% coinsurance. Granted that the hospital bill needs to exceed ~$22,200 in order for it to pay off, but I guess that's where the gambling comes in. ;)
For me, the extra $400 from the difference in premiums can be put to better use; it can even be used to cover ~10% of your deductible.

thanks

You're supposed to. I am perpetually procrastinatory when it comes to paper work. I never turned it in. I just xeroxed my card and showed it to them. They said fine. I would not recommend doing that that, though, since that was the first year they required health insurance.

I'm not sure what it'll be in Henrico County where Richmond is, but I'm guessing somewhere in between.

Henrico and Richmond are not the technically the same eventhough everyone from Richmond considers Henrico to be 'Richmond.' For most day-to-day things, Richmond taxes are a bit higher than Henrico but not by a whole heck of a lot.

The difference between 2500 and 5000 is minimal. If the plan's cost is large, go with the 5K. If it is minimal go with 2.5K (or less). You're young and anything other than catastrophic insurance is prolly a waste.

That said, if you end up needing an MRI you're basically going to have to pay out of pocket. That means a small fortune.

thanks chimpanzeeminky, those are very clear answers :p

While waiting, I did try my luck and gave the city a call and they confirmed what you've just said, though they were a little irked at me...plus she kept demanding that i needed to register my car w/ either the county or dmv...etc etc BLaH

If you're keeping your out of state plates, you won't need to get VA state inspections or emissions done. Basically, you'll just have to do everything you'd need to do on an annual basis in your home state, and keep things current.

There are two window decals used - one is for safety inspection and the other is for personal property tax validation. Some counties no longer require the county decal, but I believe most still do. Again, though, if you're keeping out of state plates, neither of those will apply to you.

to smctbone, and anyone w/ auto insurance and care to share...

I've heard most of you get car insurance anywhere from like 40-60/mo where my quote are 80-90/mo. is itbecause i'm opting for the 500 comprehensive and collision deductible?

Thanks Minky, that's not nearly as high as I was thinking.

I have a Geico quote for $59/month. That's with the minimal coverage and $1000 comprehensive and collision deductibles for an '06 Civic at a Glen Allen address.

I've heard most of you get car insurance anywhere from like 40-60/mo where my quote are 80-90/mo. is itbecause i'm opting for the 500 comprehensive and collision deductible?
Could be, I don't have collision coverage because my car is a POS.

Like meister said, that could be it. With $500 deductibles, my rate jumps to $68/month. But what might also be throwing things off is Geico's way of displaying your "monthly premium". If youre on a payment plan (as opposed to a one-time payment, which gives a $22 discount), they stretch it out to 5 payments, not 6. This $68/month quote is actually being called an "$80 monthly premium", but there is no payment during the last month.

Anyway, I'll be paying $355 for 6 months of coverage. If I choose the $500 deducts, I'd pay $409 for 6 months of coverage. That should clear things up :p

I'll be doing the $5,000 deductible for sure. Here's my (risky) logic: There's no way I'll be spending more than $500/yr for health services (I honestly never go), unless something terrible happens (knock on wood), so a $500 deductible is pointless in that regard. If some freak accident does happen, and I only have a $500 deductible, then I'll still have to pay 20% coinsurance on a huge bill anyway. The $5,000 deductible comes with a 0% coinsurance. Granted that the hospital bill needs to exceed ~$22,200 in order for it to pay off, but I guess that's where the gambling comes in. ;)
For me, the extra $400 from the difference in premiums can be put to better use; it can even be used to cover ~10% of your deductible.

You only have to pay the 20% coinsurance until you hit the $5k point for your contribution, at which point the coinsurance drops to 0%. I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at, but I wanted to clarify.

You only have to pay the 20% coinsurance until you hit the $5k point for your contribution, at which point the coinsurance drops to 0%. I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at, but I wanted to clarify.
ooo...good call, I hadnt even noticed the max out-of-pockets (that's what youre referring to, right?) :thumbup: Car insurance I'm pretty familiar with, but health insurance is new to me. :oops:
So I've got a question: For the KeyCare Flexible Choice and the KeyCare Essential options, looking at the $2500 deductible for each, Essential has a coinsurance of 30% after deductible (with 1st 3 office visits covered) and Flexible has 0% coinsurance after deductible. They both have a max annual out-of-pocket of $2500, which "includes amounts credited toward the deductible". Since the deductible is equivalent to the max out-of-pocket in these two plans, and the major plan benefits dont seem to kick in until after you meet the deductible ("X% coinsurance after deductible"), why would I choose Flexible over Essential if the cost saving plan differences dont kick in until I've already reached the max out-of-pocket? :confused: This is assuming I dont visit the FP 50x a year.

I know I havent stumbled upon a huge revelation, just curious what I'm missing :)

Last edited:
Flexible: You pay the 1st $2500 (your deductible). Then you pay nothing.
Essential: You pay the deductible. Then you pay 30% co-insurance until you've paid a total of $2500. So I think the real "max" for the essential is 5k.

I think.

Flexible: You pay the 1st $2500 (your deductible). Then you pay nothing.
Essential: You pay the deductible. Then you pay 30% co-insurance until you've paid a total of $2500. So I think the real "max" for the essential is 5k.

I think.
I'm tentatively certain this is correct.

Hey, does anyone know if it's ok to start parking in the A lot with the fall permit? I was told not to until Aug. 1, but I doubt that would be enforced since all of the permits I see in the lot look the same and end on a variety of dates.
Cheers.

The people who work for the VCU parking enforcement will gleefully ticket your vehicle if you are even 1 day early. The semester transitions are their most lucrative days, but if you wish to start the inevitable practice of handing money over to this university then by all means park there!

Hey, does anyone know if it's ok to start parking in the A lot with the fall permit? I was told not to until Aug. 1, but I doubt that would be enforced since all of the permits I see in the lot look the same and end on a variety of dates.
Cheers.

We just got an email from Dr. Wood saying that we have to buy a temporary permit or pay day to day until our permit goes into effect on August 1. :thumbdown:mad:

Get used to it dude. Just be happy if you get your financial aid in time to pay your first month's rent.

Get used to it dude. Just be happy if you get your financial aid in time to pay your first month's rent.

M2s got financial aid this week. :) I was shocked, I wasn't expecting it until at least next week. Last year they left me hanging until over 2 weeks into school so that I had to borrow money from my parents for rent, so it's a relief to get it on time and not feel broke right now.

haha after all the questions about health insurance, i was wondering if anyone of you purchased dental insurance?

i was looking at the anthem plan and i 'm not sure if it's a good policy. there's a waiting period of 18 months on extractions and major procedures...and there's a 50% coinsurance. are there better policies out there and if so what companies? i'm a newbie when it comes to all things insurance. thanks a bunch

haha after all the questions about health insurance, i was wondering if anyone of you purchased dental insurance?

i was looking at the anthem plan and i 'm not sure if it's a good policy. there's a waiting period of 18 months on extractions and major procedures...and there's a 50% coinsurance. are there better policies out there and if so what companies? i'm a newbie when it comes to all things insurance. thanks a bunch

I have dental insurance through MSV which is $18/mo although I am thinking about dropping it because I heard if you need dental work done you can get it really cheap and sometimes free through the dental school (if you don't mind students). Here is the MSV site though, if you are interested:
http://www.msv.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=5548

Also for health insurance, I have a really cheap Anthem plan with a $1500 deductible. I go to student health for any routine care, so I only have the insurance for something major (which luckily, knock on wood, I haven't used at all.) This cheap plan is almost $1000/year cheaper than the school plan and has a lower o-o-p maximum, but I guess that savings would go toward the deductible if I ever needed to use it.

Thanks for the advice on the parking permit; another week in the crappy lot for me.

Are there any perks to paying the $60 for membership to AMA/MSV besides supporting their political efforts?

Okay, so I went through the entire thread and found the replies dealing with books we should get (according to the M1s and M2s already at MCV). The following is a list of the books that were recommended (alongside the syllabus) on this thread for M1 students.

Foundations of Clinical Medicine:
- Guide to History and Physicals by Bates

Medical Bioethics:
- syllabus is sufficient

Population Medicine:
- Clinical Epidemiology: The Essentials by Fletcher

Medical Biochemistry:
- Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochemistry
- BRS Biochemistry

Human Genetics:
- syllabus is sufficient

Gross and Developmental Anatomy:
- Netter
- Rohen
- Netter's flashcards

Histology:
- syllabus is sufficient

Physiology:
- BRS Physiology by Costanzo

Behavorial Sciences:
- syllabus is sufficient

Immunology:
- syllabus is sufficient

Neurosciences:
- Neuroantomy Atlas by Haines

GET A COPY OF M1 ORACLES

So, that's what I have so far. I don't plan to buy everything now. Instead, I want to place an order soon for any books I need from the beginning of classes up to Anatomy. If anyone would like to add or amend anything in the above list, please do so. I'm planning to order some of these things soon from Amazon and I just wanted a comprehensive list before doing so. Also, some people have mentioned buying First Aid for Step 1 to just follow along and add notes in during 1st and 2nd year. Is there any other things we should be doing throughout our first two years to maximize any benefits. Thanks a lot!

Okay, so I went through the entire thread and found the replies dealing with books we should get (according to the M1s and M2s already at MCV). The following is a list of the books that were recommended (alongside the syllabus) on this thread for M1 students.

Medical Bioethics:
- syllabus is sufficient

Population Medicine:

Medical Biochemistry:
- BRS Biochemistry

Human Genetics:
- syllabus is sufficient

- Netter
- Rohen
- Netter's flashcards

Histology:
- syllabus is sufficient

Physiology:

Behavorial Sciences:
- syllabus is sufficient

Immunology:
- syllabus is sufficient

Neurosciences:

GET A COPY OF M1 ORACLES

So, that's what I have so far. I don't plan to buy everything now. Instead, I want to place an order soon for any books I need from the beginning of classes up to Anatomy. If anyone would like to add or amend anything in the above list, please do so. I'm planning to order some of these things soon from Amazon and I just wanted a comprehensive list before doing so. Also, some people have mentioned buying First Aid for Step 1 to just follow along and add notes in during 1st and 2nd year. Is there any other things we should be doing throughout our first two years to maximize any benefits. Thanks a lot!

I did not purchase the Population Medicine book, and none of my friends did. The instructor will try to push you to buy it but it is really not necessary.

I found the syllabus more the sufficient for Biochem as well, so I did not buy the books. I've taken 2 biochem classes before though, so try it out a week or two and see if you need more help.

Physiology-You don't necessarily need BRS Phys this year, but you will need it for boards. You will also need BRS Phys: Cases and Problems, also written by Dr. Costanzo. It's a very good book that I've heard is used even more second year than first. I actually bought Dr. Costanzo's Physiology book and found it useful to clarify ideas-she explains things beautifully, so if someone else lectured on the topic and you had any questions, it's a great book to have around.

Neuro-you might want to add High Yield Neuroanatomy to the list. It's not a very expensive book, and you need it for boards anyway.

Anatomy-Rohen's book is awesome. It's a great way to study using pictures of real cadavers. I used it the most out of everything I bought for anatomy. The instructors will push Grants anatomy, and I bought it but never used it.

Realize that there is a LOT of info in the syllabus, and everything you need to know is supposed to be in there (except for Foundations of Clinical Medicine-you absolutely need Bates) so don't spend a lot of money on books that aren't a must-have. There's a good chance you won't open them even if you buy them.

I will add my $.02 for books. Buy the books you will need for Step I, such as BRS, according to Costanzo's recommended review list, as you go through each course. Use them with the syllabus (I also did not purchase one textbook except for Bates through all of M1-M2). Buy First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 and refer to that as well.

This has the added benefit of familiarizing yourself with these texts as to their content and layout, which will make you a more efficient learner come Step I review time when you basically have to commit all of them to memory.

Thanks for the advice on the parking permit; another week in the crappy lot for me.

Are there any perks to paying the $60 for membership to AMA/MSV besides supporting their political efforts?

Ok, i'm biased because my dad is super involved in those organizations and i've mooched off a ton of free vacations and meetings, but it's a really awesome organization and a great networking tool- and you get the chance to go to a lot of fun meetings in sweet places. most of the meetings I've been to with my family have had a bunch of students from the va med schools hanging out. a lot of residency directors also come to the meetings and talk to students. also, the msv and ama work really hard for med student causes, especially costs of school and lifestyle concerns. anyway, that was long but i think it's a great idea!

Thanks a lot you guys for your fast responses. I'll probably hold off on buying the Fletcher book (Pop. Med) and I can always use CIBL to see whether it's useful. Again, I'm only planning to buy books for the courses that stretch from the first day of class to Anatomy (at the moment). So far, that only encompasses two or three books (one for FCM and one/two for Biochemistry).

Gstrub mentioned to buy review books (recommended by Costanzo's list) for each class to follow along, possibly add notes, etc. so the process can be easier when it gets time for Boards. Does anyone have this "Recommended List" of review books. I probably won't get all of them, but I have heard this helpful hint a lot on SDN. Okay, thanks again!

P.S. Where can I get the Oracle CD? People mentioned getting it from an M2 but if I can't find anyone, is there a place to buy it? Was this even helpful?

Thanks a lot you guys for your fast responses. I'll probably hold off on buying the Fletcher book (Pop. Med) and I can always use CIBL to see whether it's useful. Again, I'm only planning to buy books for the courses that stretch from the first day of class to Anatomy (at the moment). So far, that only encompasses two or three books (one for FCM and one/two for Biochemistry).

Gstrub mentioned to buy review books (recommended by Costanzo's list) for each class to follow along, possibly add notes, etc. so the process can be easier when it gets time for Boards. Does anyone have this "Recommended List" of review books. I probably won't get all of them, but I have heard this helpful hint a lot on SDN. Okay, thanks again!

P.S. Where can I get the Oracle CD? People mentioned getting it from an M2 but if I can't find anyone, is there a place to buy it? Was this even helpful?

Check your private messages-I've sent a summary of last years list. This years list will not be compiled for a few more weeks, so Dr. Costanzo put this on the eBoard so my fellow M2s can get a jump on the books needed for our first couple of classes.

Someone will be selling Oracles at the beginning of the year. I bought them and used them-for some classes they are useless, for others they are great.

A word about the Oracle CDs: they are sold as a fundraiser by the CDMA for $75 at the beginning of the year. Many people felt this price was excessive, particularly since the content has not been updated since the mid-90s.

It has been confirmed by the Curriculum Office that copying the Oracles is neither illegal nor an honor code violation, so that is an option whether you get the files from an M2 or from buying a copy. (However, you're not allowed to print or xerox them at CBIL.)

Medical Bioethics:
- syllabus is sufficient

Population Medicine:

Medical Biochemistry:
- BRS Biochemistry

Human Genetics:
- syllabus is sufficient

- Netter
- Rohen
- Netter's flashcards

Histology:
- syllabus is sufficient

Physiology:

Behavorial Sciences:
- syllabus is sufficient

Immunology:
- syllabus is sufficient

Neurosciences:

GET A COPY OF M1 ORACLES

I very highly recommend NOT getting Lippincotts or the pop med book. The pop med book is worthless and Lippincotts wont be needed much. For when you need it go up to CBIL. It will save you a few hundred bucks. Get a used copy of BRS from upperclassmen.

bates is a must have. No way around it.
BRS phys is a good book to have esp since you will definitely use it for hte boards. But for those who dont want to fork up the dough right now, wait till the current M3s sell their books and get a used copy for 1/4 the price. 3rd and 4th editions are pretty close but I would recommend getting the 4th if you can.

Your big buddy may also give you some books so hold off on buying them until orientation.

Dont worry about First Aid until second year. It is essentially useless for first year.

I would very highly recommend buying your board books between 1st and second year used. I spent about 1/5 the price on my books as I would have new. Plus there is very little competition to buy on E-bay at that time b/c few rising 2nd years are thinking about the boards and the current 2nd years have already taken the boards.

The pop med book is worthless and Lippincotts wont be needed much.
I'm surprised you felt that way...I thought the Fletcher book for pop med was extremely useful. It's very well written and short, while both the syllabus and lectures in that course are pretty bad. I would certainly advise anyone to check it out in the bookstore before making a decision though.