====Virginia Commonwealth Univ. c/o 2011====

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey,

does anyone know when payment for first semester is due? im assuming it should be payed sometime before orientation, but i havent gotten any details about it.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This picture should help you figure it out a bit better.
350px-RichmondFanDistrict.jpg

in the above picture MCV is located right above where the purple line intersects the O of downtown

Sketch areas that you probably don't want to live in include: oregon hill, Jackson ward, Randolph or anything with court in it (ie Gilpin court). Also, dont live right across the river from downtown (ie called manchester on the second picture). Finally dont live too far north of broad street in church hill. For those of you that went to the financial aid workshop the director lady told you that Jackson ward is a good area to live in. I pretty much crapped myself when she told you that. Jackson ward is a really sketchy, really dangerous part of Richmond. Don't live there.

Here is a second picture that shows things a bit further east
350px-DowntownRichmondNeighborhoods.jpg

Here MCV is located right around where it says "court end"

The Fan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_District
Note that while Wikipedia doesnt consider west of boulevard 'the fan' many in Richmond do. Others refer to west of boulevard as "the museum district." Either way it is nice to live near carytown (shopping/eating area). You will be good living pretty much anywhere in the fan area. But the further away (west) from the undergrad campus, the quieter things will be. Generally around the 2000 block (of streets parallel w/ broad st) you should be in good shape. Other considerations are that there are a lot of bars on Robinson. So you might want to live around there (i think about 2500 block). The further west you go, generally the safer things get.

Church Hill: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Hill
Note that you dont want to live very far north of Broad street. If you can, stay SOUTH of broad street (red line going up church hill). Really I cant stress this enough. If you go like 10 blocks north of broad around church hill you will get shot. Only half kidding about this. South of broad street has some very beautiful areas and some very nice apts. North of broad is a great place to buy crack. You see the dark black line going north of church hill, that is where the projects are and is arguably one of the most dangerous area of Richmond. So stay away from it.

Shockoe Bottom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shockoe_Bottom
Apts are spotted throughout here generally above shops or in converted industrial buildings. The apts generally have a lot of character but, it can get loud if you are near the clubs/bars. Most of my class lives in the bottom so that is a consideration, plus it is nice and close to MCV. Basically on a decent day you can walk from the bottom. Things can get pricey here but if you look you can find a cheap place.

Other notables are the west end and the southside. Unless you have kids, these are kinda far. If you have kids: freeman and godwin school districts are good in the west end.

PM me if you have questions.

Thanks so much!

I'll send cookies to anyone who drops their VCU acceptance in the next week. :laugh::oops: The waitlist has stopped moving, so if anyone on here is fortunate enough to be accepted at their state school or just somewhere they prefer to VCU, please let us know. It sounds like I am very close to the top of the list, but it hasn't moved since last week. One month before orientation, so I'm hoping for a miracle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, last night I gave up the hope of being accepted...and today Dr. WC emailed me and told me IM IN! I'm gonna be a doctor! Wahoo! See you in 3.5 weeks everyone!

:banana::biglove::banana::biglove::banana:

Well, last night I gave up the hope of being accepted...and today Dr. WC emailed me and told me IM IN! I'm gonna be a doctor! Wahoo! See you in 3.5 weeks everyone!

:banana::biglove::banana::biglove::banana:

Congratulations, nka! I have been pulling for you! Your patience & persistence paid off :thumbup: See you in August! :)

Congratulations, nka! I have been pulling for you! Your patience & persistence paid off :thumbup: See you in August! :)

Hahahaha, they might have let me in just so I would leave them alone...

The last few days have been crazy, but I'm starting to pull together plans. I filled out the FAFSA way back in January, and I'm mailing in the In-state tuition form and credit report tomorrow. I faxed the insurance verification form a few minutes ago. I'll send in the Immunization form on Monday...Is there anything else the school needs before they'll give me financial aid info? Does anyone know if they will let me fax in the credit report and in-state tuition form? Or should I just mail it?

Thanks guys, and see you in a few weeks.

I was just wondering when people were getting in to town. I was seeing if people were going to be around that weekend before orientation like Aug 10 11 or so and were planning on hanging out. I think we should get some conversation about getting a group out that weekend.

For anyone that wants to get together before orientation, I have "organized" a little group to go to Popkin Tavern on Friday (8/10)..its only about 15 blocks from MCV on the corner of Jefferson and W. Broad. I think people are planning to start showing up around 6:00 but show up whenever you want!

Does anyone know when in orientation we meet our second year big brother or sister?

hi,

I would really appreciate it if the accepted applicants post there gpa, mcat,whether they are instate, and undergraduate institution. thanks

Does anyone know when in orientation we meet our second year big brother or sister?

There's a big sibling lunch planned for Wednesday next week, I believe. Look in your orientation packet, there's a flyer.

hi,

I would really appreciate it if the accepted applicants post there gpa, mcat,whether they are instate, and undergraduate institution. thanks

3.5 total, 3.4 BCPM, 33 MCAT (11, 11, 11)

I heard that MCV takes some students to Hondurus (I think) in the summer between M1 and M2. If someone already enrolled in the SOM could confirm this and please give more details on how they select students, how long it is, what the students do, etc., I'd really appreciate it. Serving as a doctor overseas with relief organizations or NGOs is something I'd really like to do in the future. Thanks!

I heard that MCV takes some students to Hondurus (I think) in the summer between M1 and M2. If someone already enrolled in the SOM could confirm this and please give more details on how they select students, how long it is, what the students do, etc., I'd really appreciate it. Serving as a doctor overseas with relief organizations or NGOs is something I'd really like to do in the future. Thanks!
Yes, there is a Honduras medical mission, as well as a couple others. I don't know the details on the selection process, but if it's something you're really into, I'm sure it's possible to get on. All of the trips I'm aware of are run by student organizations.

The honduras trip (HOMBRE) is run by students but has recently been sponsored by MCV. To get in there is a brief application process but most people get to go.