====Virginia Commonwealth Univ. c/o 2011====

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone so far, a few quick questions - if you got the acceptance electronically last week on the 15th, have you received the paper acceptance packet yet?

And for the current vcu students (thank you for all the helpful information so far, by the way) - would you say there is ample opportunity to get involved in research as a medical student? I know the medical center is huge, just wondering how receptive it is to medical students getting involved and if there is opportunity for that. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

as far as research during the year goes if you are willing to work for free someone will definitly take you- but you would have to take the initiative in contacting people. for the summer you could try to get a paid position on your own, or the school has a lottery for a $3500 stipend to do a summer project. (i don't know how many stipends they give or how many people apply for those though)

Has anyone else recieved a letter about the second look weekend. I havent heard anything about it other then what was posted here. Anyone know for sure what the deal is?

Members don't see this ad :)
No news in the mail yet about the second look weekend, but someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the Office of Student Outreach had the information for the second look weekend.

I agree with Tangent on the research. There is a lot of research that goes on and people are very receptive to medical students. You can find paid positions as a lab tech/secondary researcher but generally you are going to be unpaid.

Since you dont have much time during the summer (or even during the year b/c of work) expect to have to piggy-back onto someone else's project. You prolly wont have time to start your own major project but with all the different research going on you should have no problem finding something that interests you.

So the first time I called VCU about the second look weekend, they put me through to the office of student outreach who told me that they were having a second look weekend but that it was by invitation only. So...I asked - what does that mean? Who is invited? The woman asked for my email and said she'd get back to me..she hasn't. So...guess that means not everyone is invited???? Also..I called again yesterday and the guy in the admiss. office told me that they were thinking of planning a second look weekend through the office of admissions, but hadn't decided yet. I'm totally confused.

So the first time I called VCU about the second look weekend, they put me through to the office of student outreach who told me that they were having a second look weekend but that it was by invitation only. So...I asked - what does that mean? Who is invited? The woman asked for my email and said she'd get back to me..she hasn't. So...guess that means not everyone is invited???? Also..I called again yesterday and the guy in the admiss. office told me that they were thinking of planning a second look weekend through the office of admissions, but hadn't decided yet. I'm totally confused.

It's totally ridiculous how unorganized they are concerning this second look weekend. I got accepted to VCU in January (18th) and received a letter informing me about the second look weekend shortly after from Ms. Donna Jackson in the Office of Student Outreach. I then received an invitation letter late february or early march and was asked to return a form indicating whether or not I plan on attending. I'm looking forward to meeting my potential classmates and will be so pissed off if other accepted applicants don't show up because of miscommunication. I can't understand why the office of admissions wouldn't know anything about this even though it's being organized by another office-- I hope they can get their act together and be better coordinated in the future.

FYI: SECOND LOOK WEEKEND IS APRIL 20 - 21. STARTS OFF WITH DINNER ~ 6PM ON FRIDAY AND I GUESS TOUR & OTHER PLANNED ACTIVITIES ON SATURDAY TILL ABOUT 3 OR 4PM. PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE OF STUDENT OUTREACH @ (804) 828-0997 TO INQUIRE ABOUT THIS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'VE JUST BEEN ACCEPTED IN MARCH SINCE THEY MAY NOT HAVE GOTTEN TO NOTIFY YOU GUYS YET. I HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE!

BQ24, about it being by invitation only, I would like to think they meant it's only for accepted applicants. I can't imagine not inviting everyone. Did the lady you were speaking with know that you've been accepted?

It's totally ridiculous how unorganized they are concerning this second look weekend. I got accepted to VCU in January (18th) and received a letter informing me about the second look weekend shortly after from Ms. Donna Jackson in the Office of Student Outreach. I then received an invitation letter late february or early march and was asked to return a form indicating whether or not I plan on attending. I'm looking forward to meeting my potential classmates and will be so pissed off if other accepted applicants don't show up because of miscommunication. I can't understand why the office of admissions wouldn't know anything about this even though it's being organized by another office-- I hope they can get their act together and be better coordinated in the future.

FYI: SECOND LOOK WEEKEND IS APRIL 20 - 21. STARTS OFF WITH DINNER ~ 6PM ON FRIDAY AND I GUESS TOUR & OTHER PLANNED ACTIVITIES ON SATURDAY TILL ABOUT 3 OR 4PM. PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE OF STUDENT OUTREACH @ (804) 828-0997 TO INQUIRE ABOUT THIS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'VE JUST BEEN ACCEPTED IN MARCH SINCE THEY MAY NOT HAVE GOTTEN TO NOTIFY YOU GUYS YET. I HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE!

BQ24, about it being by invitation only, I would like to think they meant it's only for accepted applicants. I can't imagine not inviting everyone. Did the lady you were speaking with know that you've been accepted?

yup...told them I had been accepted and was planning on going there...also..I was accepted in October...it's been a long time..I think that if they were going to send me anything..I would have gotten it. I got the feeling that I was not invited. Are you doing any kind of special program or anything that would make you stand out from other accepted applicants?

yup...told them I had been accepted and was planning on going there...also..I was accepted in October...it's been a long time..I think that if they were going to send me anything..I would have gotten it. I got the feeling that I was not invited. Are you doing any kind of special program or anything that would make you stand out from other accepted applicants?

I was also accepted in October and haven't heard anything about a second look weekend.

+ve had received the invite from Student Outreach. From the VCU Website:

The Office of Student Outreach Programs was created to enhance the mission of the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine through recruitment, retention and programming efforts targeting students from populations that include, but are not limited to:

Populations underrepresented in medicine
Those from rural backgrounds
Persons considered non-traditional students

From the above, I would think that unless you fall into one of those categories, you would not be invited to the second look weekend. At least not this particular one...

+ve had received the invite from Student Outreach. From the VCU Website:

The Office of Student Outreach Programs was created to enhance the mission of the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine through recruitment, retention and programming efforts targeting students from populations that include, but are not limited to:

Populations underrepresented in medicine
Those from rural backgrounds
Persons considered non-traditional students

From the above, I would think that unless you fall into one of those categories, you would not be invited to the second look weekend. At least not this particular one...

Why would they hold a second look weekend for only minority students. I mean what would be the point of that? All accepted applicants would want to have a chance to take a second look perhaps to decide whether or not they want to attend the school. I just don't get it. I'll call on Monday and ask whether this is for all accepted applicants or just a select group as it seems. I'd like to think it's the former but I guess we'll see. Maybe InstateWaiter or Tangent can comment on this. Could it be that the office of student outreach is organizing one just for minority students, and the office of admissions is considering doing one for all students? It just doesn't make any sense. Does VCU usually have actual second look weekends? I know another school that only just started doing it last year.

A lot of schools do something similar to this to get underrepresented students to choose their schools. Usually it will be some sort of dinner type thing, I think the confusion is coming because VCU calls it "second look weekend" They should probably come up with a different name. But I think you all have it right- the one put on by student outreach is by invitaton only for underrepresented students, and as of now there is not one that is open to all students. But from what you guys are saying they may start one for everyone.

so... I received the letter from the outreach program about second look weekend a couple days after I received my acceptance letter. The second week thing says "although we have not been able to offer you a seat in the class of 2001 at this time..."
What is that supposed to mean? Did that happen to anyone else? I tried calling, but I couldnt get a hold of anyone.
Thanks
Naty

Members don't see this ad :)
so... I received the letter from the outreach program about second look weekend a couple days after I received my acceptance letter. The second week thing says "although we have not been able to offer you a seat in the class of 2001 at this time..."
What is that supposed to mean? Did that happen to anyone else? I tried calling, but I couldnt get a hold of anyone.
Thanks
Naty

try calling again--Maybe the outreach program meant to invite you to the second look weekend even though you had not been accepted yet and mailed out your invitation. It must be a mistake otherwise it would be pretty messed up. do you plan on coming?

they prepared the letter before March 15th acceptances... and they really scared me! lol!
Unfortunately, I am not able to go because is the weekend before finals.

bah. it is quiet in here! :thumbdown:

anyone studying netter's yet? :laugh: jk, you will soon find out I am the last person to seriously pose this question...:D

I am itching to make the move to VA... anyone else have a ridiculously long (or short) trip ahead of them? (I get to do the cross-country thing, which means buying new stuff, yay!)

I am itching to make the move to VA... anyone else have a ridiculously long (or short) trip ahead of them? (I get to do the cross-country thing, which means buying new stuff, yay!)

I'll be moving from LA with my wife sometime around July. We just got a quote from a mover for $1900. :eek: We don't even really have that much stuff! I'm looking forward to starting school though.

AtreyuRocks (are you a big NeverEnding Story fan?) is the preclinical curriculum much different for you as an MD-PhD student, or have they not told you yet?

I'll be moving from LA with my wife sometime around July. We just got a quote from a mover for $1900. :eek: We don't even really have that much stuff! I'm looking forward to starting school though.

AtreyuRocks (are you a big NeverEnding Story fan?) is the preclinical curriculum much different for you as an MD-PhD student, or have they not told you yet?

$1900? yikes. but just think of all the $$ you will save by not having to purchase new things, and the time and physical labor you will save your wife and yourself!

yes, i am a neverending story fan... but my SN refers to the punk/metal/rock band-- Atreyu-- from OC, CA (and yes, the neverending story is where they got the group's name from)

as far as i know, i will be taking classes with the c/o 2011 during my (our) M1 and M2 years. after that, you guys are gonna pass me up and i'll be doin the PhD thing while you guys do your M3 rotations, ACE your step 2, complete M4 elective rotations, and begin your lives as residents! i hope that answers your question-- if not, then the answer is: i don't know :laugh:

hello all...so I've been down to Richmond a few times and have come to really like the Shockoe Slip area...anyone have any thoughts on living in this area? Do many med students live around there? Do people like living there?

thoughts appreciated - thanks!

hello all...so I've been down to Richmond a few times and have come to really like the Shockoe Slip area...anyone have any thoughts on living in this area? Do many med students live around there? Do people like living there?

thoughts appreciated - thanks!

I've heard some things about this area as well, but I don't know enough to give you any useful advice. I'm an OOS-er hehe.

Anyways, I made the following 'cause I'm excited to meet (and get to know) my future classmates! For those of you who have facebook:

Facebook VCU School of Medicine (MCV) Class of 2011

For those of you who don't, get on it! :D

(if there is already another group I don't know about, lemme know =)

hey everyone,

I found out I got accepted to VCU on March 15th. GW and EVMS are some other schools that I'm considering, but I'm currently leaning towards VCU. I was in Richmond for grad school, and I lived in Glen Allen. The apartments were cheap, I was near everything (malls, grocery stores, borders, etc), and it was really only a 12-15 minute commute. I'm from DC, so believe me, Richmond's morning "rush hour" is not bad at all. The fan area is decent too, there are a lot of beautiful buildings there.

Also, I haven't heard anything about a second look weekend.

Hey everyone. Earlier I talked with someone at the admissions office, and they said that there was not a second look weekend.

I did get down to richmond though and it was quite cool! I saw the fan district and the downtown areas with the old tobacco warehouses that have been renovated into new apartments. Both places looked like great places to live.

Deciding between a couple places but I'm leaning towards VCU myself. Loved my visits there and just how nice and laid back everyone is.

crew19 - I know what you mean about DC traffic - it's terrible!

Cheers!

So when do we get some info on orientation and stuff

hehe sorry senioritis has set in and im getting excited for next august.

So when do we get some info on orientation and stuff

hehe sorry senioritis has set in and im getting excited for next august.

I keep wondering the same...

Anyone recently get a letter from the Scholarship committee? I only received a paltry amount but I guess it's better than nothing. Hopefully, you guys get a much bigger slice......:luck:

Anyone recently get a letter from the Scholarship committee? I only received a paltry amount but I guess it's better than nothing. Hopefully, you guys get a much bigger slice......:luck:

I haven't. When did you get the letter?

This afternoon. You live kinda farther away from VCU than I so maybe it takes longer for the Brink's truck to pull up to your house :laugh:

PM me if get something...

This afternoon. You live kinda farther away from VCU than I so maybe it takes longer for the Brink's truck to pull up to your house :laugh:

PM me if get something...

I hope :luck: Anything will be better than ~40,000 a year for tuition. :scared:

Has anyone else heard about whether or not they'll be doing their 3rd and 4th year rotations at Fairfax (for those of you who chose to commit to the Fairfax program)?

Also, would any of you be interested in trying to meet up before orientation starts?

Has anyone else heard about whether or not they'll be doing their 3rd and 4th year rotations at Fairfax (for those of you who chose to commit to the Fairfax program)?

Also, would any of you be interested in trying to meet up before orientation starts?

Haven't heard anything official yet - I heard that we go over all that stuff at orientation, but I could be wrong.

Preliminary schedules for orientation and the academic year have been posted to the orientation web site. Look under Curriculum for some of it. Exciting stuff!

Awesome thanks! Good to get some dates for orientation and stuff.

i haven't received anything either. a scholarship sure would be great though! does anyone know if most people receive some sort of scholarship or if its a pretty select few that get anything? thanks-

It's VCU: Your Key to the World - http://www.vcu.edu/itsvcu/

The second of four commercial-free episodes showcasing VCU — including the people and programs that make it unique — re-aired this past Saturday, April 14, on NBC 12 at 1:30 p.m. “It's VCU: Your Key to the World” looks at VCU's international presence in Richmond and all around the world. To see all four episodes, visit http://www.vcu.edu/itsvcu .

Virginia Commonwealth University and NBC12 teamed up to showcase this urban university, located in the heart of Richmond. VCU’s diverse students, faculty and programs, superior teaching, steady growth and groundbreaking research are shaping Richmond, the state and the region. Watch “It’s VCU” and see why VCU is one of the most innovative, entrepreneurial universities in the country … and what we’re doing for Richmond.

Does anybody have an orientation button on their navigation bar on the application status page yet? I see the link above but I am looking for what this is talking about.

"To check your matriculation file status and to access the online forms for Orientation, login to Application Website and then click on Orientation button on the navigation bar. Please note that only those applicants who have been accepted and have paid their enrollment fee will be able to access the Orientation section of the website. If you have recently paid your enrollment fee, it may take up to 48 hours to activate your access to Orientation forms." I found this here: http://www.admissions.som.vcu.edu/orientation/chklist/forms.html

Can those of you who've either been notified of a scholarship award or received your financial aid package please share some of that information? Here is my situation: I called the financial aid ofice today to inquire about my financial aid package esp. to find out whether I'm getting a scholarship. I was told that I'm getting $2000 scholarship-- yes, only $2000 for an OOS student with tuition ~ $41,000.

I'm very dissappointed because I've been offered a full tuition scholarship at another school (Univ. of Kansas) but VCU is where I want to go. I know some current out-of-state VCU med students who got a scholarship amount that reduced their tuition to in-state and was really hoping to get the same. The lady I spoke with says that I'm not eligible for need-based aid and I can't seem to understand why. Although I rightfully claimed independent status, I was required to provide my parents information on FAFSA to be considered for need-based aid, and also had to complete the detailed need assess application.

But my parents combined income from last year's tax return was only ~ $65,000. My income was ~ $15,000 (started working mid-year) and EFC $2990. I don't know what else goes into determining need or what income level is eligible but my family is certainly not rich. I remember that need assess application asked about the original cost of my parent's home ($165,000) and current value ($250,000) but I don't think they expect them to sell their home to put me through med school. They also asked about their retirement account ($75,000) but I can't fathom why these values would adversely affect my need eligiblility because they're not immediately available and not mine anyways.

I'm just venting a bit right now cos' its demoralizing thinking that I'll be turning down a full-tuition ride to go to my top school with only $2000 scholarship money. Those of you who have received scholarship offers from VCU, if you don't mind, could you state:
1. how much you got
2. if it's merit or need-based
3. if you're in-state or out-of-state
4. your EFC
5. parents or your income level (I understand if you don't want to)
You can PM me if you'd prefer.

I know I'm not entitled to a scholarship but I was hoping to get more than $2000, at least $10,000. The sad part is that I'm still going to VCU because I love the school/location much better than Univ. of Kansas, but of course that comes with significantly more debt. Btw, I had earlier disclosed my scholarship award at Kansas and was told that while they certainly can't match Kansas because they don't give out full-rides, I will get some amount of money. I was counting more on need-based than merit-based but didn't expect it to be this small. Anyways, I'm in the same boat as thousands of med students who fund their education primarily with loans, so I guess I should at least be happy for getting in and stop complaining.

I got into MCV's 2011 class on the 12th. So Excited (especially as a second time applicant). I'm pretty sure MCV is where I'll be but I'm deciding between MCV and EVMS right now.

As for Richmond and living situations, I've been in Richmond all year in the post-bacc program. The two major places to live are The Fan and Downtown. The Fan is more homey and has more houses if that's what you're into, and you likely won't have to pay for parking near your apt. I live Downtown and love it! I can walk to class so I don't have to worry about driving or catching a bus. You WILL have to pay for somewhere to park ( I pay $75 a month). Overall, cost of living in Richmond is fairly low considering it's a city (I was also coming from Charlottesville where rent is absurd so it wasn't a big shock for me). If you're looking by June you should be fine. I haven't even starting thinking about where I'll be moving.

Best of luck! Can't wait to (probably) meet all of you in August! Let me know if you have MCV?Richmond questions!

I haven't recieved anything yet, but I am hoping I will get some help as well. I am out of state an my EFC was 2539. Did they tell you when they were going to mail out the award info?

I got into MCV's 2011 class on the 12th. So Excited (especially as a second time applicant). I'm pretty sure MCV is where I'll be but I'm deciding between MCV and EVMS right now.

As for Richmond and living situations, I've been in Richmond all year in the post-bacc program. The two major places to live are The Fan and Downtown. The Fan is more homey and has more houses if that's what you're into, and you likely won't have to pay for parking near your apt. I live Downtown and love it! I can walk to class so I don't have to worry about driving or catching a bus. You WILL have to pay for somewhere to park ( I pay $75 a month). Overall, cost of living in Richmond is fairly low considering it's a city (I was also coming from Charlottesville where rent is absurd so it wasn't a big shock for me). If you're looking by June you should be fine. I haven't even starting thinking about where I'll be moving.

Best of luck! Can't wait to (probably) meet all of you in August! Let me know if you have MCV?Richmond questions!

Hi and Congrats! I have a housing question for you. I am married and we have been looking at housing that is about 15 minutes from the MCV campus. (according to the apartment website). Is the traffic that bad in the morning? Do you think it is that important to live right next to campus?

Hi and Congrats! I have a housing question for you. I am married and we have been looking at housing that is about 15 minutes from the MCV campus. (according to the apartment website). Is the traffic that bad in the morning? Do you think it is that important to live right next to campus?

Hey. I would say be married sort of changes the game a little, at least for most people. If you want a house you pretty much have to get out of dowtown but if you want and apt there are great apts downtown, I have married friends who live across the hall. It's not super important to live close, I would say it is a 50/50 split in the Medical Campus as to where people live. I got addicted to walking to class when I was at UVA and Downtown has a much more Young Professional/Graduate feel. My two current roommates are moving to The Fan (planned before I knew what I was doing) and I'll probably be staying downtown.

Traffic isn't all that terrible, some people have issues on the bridges but in The Fan that doesn't really apply. If you're looking at places a little bit away I would check out The Fan and West End, both would be fine - and definitely better then Downtown if you have pets m(I guess mainly dogs but I do know people who have then Downtown too).

Sorry to be so long-winded. I really wouldn't factor traffic into the equation too much unless you're going way outside the city - go where you and you spouse will be comfortable (or actually, more your spouse since they will probably be spending a lot more time there then you ;)). Hope this helps.

That does help. Thanks!

I haven't recieved anything yet, but I am hoping I will get some help as well. I am out of state an my EFC was 2539. Did they tell you when they were going to mail out the award info?

I forgot to ask...

when you guys filled out needaccess did you have to fill out the form regarding separated/remarried parents if your parents are still married? sorry, it seems like a dumb question but i feel funny paying and clicking 'send' when it says 0% completed for that section.

when you guys filled out needaccess did you have to fill out the form regarding separated/remarried parents if your parents are still married? sorry, it seems like a dumb question but i feel funny paying and clicking 'send' when it says 0% completed for that section.

I just left it blank as well..I know it's weird to see 0%, but I figured since it didn't apply to me, it didn't matter.

I've been to Richmond a bunch of times and really like the downtown area...particularly around Shockoe Slip...do you live near there downtown or somewhere else? Also...do students tend to live in that area? I think it seems great...but I don't live there so it's hard to tell if I'd be happy actually living around there...ok...thanks!