Victim of Botched Circumcision Needs Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

circvictim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a 16 year old circumcised male and would like any information, suggestions, or opinions the doctors that frequent this site can provide.

My circumcision was botched, and as a result I had four skin bridges connecting my upper penile shaft to the top few centimetres of my glan from my earliest memory until I was nine. As my penis began to grow the skin bridges did not, and as a result one bridge snapped very painfully and left a noticeble purple, bump like, scar. Two years later I had a very painful erection in which one bridge began to tear, scabbing for weeks before finally breaking, leaving an even larger scar.

The last bridge broke at thirteen, when after many painful erections the bridge snapped on both ends and bled profously. I am now left with the largest bridge, measuring at 3\4 of an inch wide. When I have an erection the skin sometimes stretches so tightly that it is painful and has recently ripped a small hole that I think was the original division of two skin bridges that melded into one over the years.

This condition has been terribly embarrising for me, my biggest fear after realizing that my penis was deformed became public showers, restrooms, and dressing rooms. Participating in sports is particularly frightening as there have been sever situations in post-game activity where team showers needed to be taken. I did manage to creatively hide my deformity, but the anxiety it creates is becoming unbearable.

So my question is: Who is responsible for this botched surgery? I do not know whether my parents signed a release form when the operation was done, but the outcome was obviously not the one intended or agreed upon. I would very much like to sue the doctor or hospital for my pain and suffering, as well as for the cost of having this final bridge removed. Although the operation was performed many years ago, being a minor and the condition outstanding I believe the statute of limitations would allow legal action to be pursued.

Any suggestions, advise, or opinions would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to have professional opinion before contacting a lawyer and pursuing the matter further.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

circvictim said:
Hello, I am a 16 year old circumcised male and would like any information, suggestions, or opinions the doctors that frequent this site can provide.

My circumcision was botched, and as a result I had four skin bridges connecting my upper penile shaft to the top few centimetres of my glan from my earliest memory until I was nine. As my penis began to grow the skin bridges did not, and as a result one bridge snapped very painfully and left a noticeble purple, bump like, scar. Two years later I had a very painful erection in which one bridge began to tear, scabbing for weeks before finally breaking, leaving an even larger scar.

The last bridge broke at thirteen, when after many painful erections the bridge snapped on both ends and bled profously. I am now left with the largest bridge, measuring at 3\4 of an inch wide. When I have an erection the skin sometimes stretches so tightly that it is painful and has recently ripped a small hole that I think was the original division of two skin bridges that melded into one over the years.

This condition has been terribly embarrising for me, my biggest fear after realizing that my penis was deformed became public showers, restrooms, and dressing rooms. Participating in sports is particularly frightening as there have been sever situations in post-game activity where team showers needed to be taken. I did manage to creatively hide my deformity, but the anxiety it creates is becoming unbearable.

So my question is: Who is responsible for this botched surgery? I do not know whether my parents signed a release form when the operation was done, but the outcome was obviously not the one intended or agreed upon. I would very much like to sue the doctor or hospital for my pain and suffering, as well as for the cost of having this final bridge removed. Although the operation was performed many years ago, being a minor and the condition outstanding I believe the statute of limitations would allow legal action to be pursued.

Any suggestions, advise, or opinions would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to have professional opinion before contacting a lawyer and pursuing the matter further.

Thank You

First off, that sucks, my condolences. Second, I want to point out that many NON-MDs do circ's. You would need to find out who performed this. Also, your parents' consent and waiver likely stipulated that there are risks and those risks include your result, a lawsuit would be a waste even if you found an attorney stupid enough to take it on pro bono. But again Im not a JD.

Go see a plastic surgeon is my advice. That and talk to your parents. Maybe they took you to a rabbi or something.

Ouch.

In order, I'd

a) talk to your parents

b) talk to a lawyer

c) talk to a plastic surgeon about getting it repaired

Even if you can't sue the old doctor, it definitely sounds like something you want to get taken care of ASAP!

Members don't see this ad :)
circvictim said:
So my question is: Who is responsible for this botched surgery?

I hate to break it to you, but it may be your parents who were at fault. We always tell the parents of our peds patients after a circ that they need to retract any penile shaft tissue from the glans as otherwise skin bridges may form. It's likely that after your circ your parents just let your penis be and never retracted the skin away from the glans.

Removing skin bridges after a circ is a common procedure after a circ in a kid. I'm sorry that this has happened to you.

My advice, if you have such difficulties is to go see a reconstructive urologist.

What makes you think the surgery was "botched?" Complications happen sometimes even when the standard of care was met.

LADoc00 said:
First off, that sucks, my condolences. Second, I want to point out that many NON-MDs do circ's. You would need to find out who performed this. Also, your parents' consent and waiver likely stipulated that there are risks and those risks include your result, a lawsuit would be a waste even if you found an attorney stupid enough to take it on pro bono. But again Im not a JD.

Go see a plastic surgeon is my advice. That and talk to your parents. Maybe they took you to a rabbi or something.

After some research I've found that the operation was performed by a doctor at a major hospital in the city I was born in. The standard circumcision form looks to me a "consent to perform surgery" form, similar to a "consent to treat," and from the style of the form it look like it's been the standard for a while now.

My own research seems to point the the doctor as being the one responsible for the bandaging and care post-op.

I'm still looking into the details, but if nothing else I believe the hospital should perform the corrective surgery free of charge.

Thanks everyone, your continued comments are appreciated.

circvictim said:
After some research I've found that the operation was performed by a doctor at a major hospital in the city I was born in. The standard circumcision form looks to me a "consent to perform surgery" form, similar to a "consent to treat," and from the style of the form it look like it's been the standard for a while now.

My own research seems to point the the doctor as being the one responsible for the bandaging and care post-op.

I'm still looking into the details, but if nothing else I believe the hospital should perform the corrective surgery free of charge.

Do you mind sharing your "research?" You haven't given any info here that indicates any sort of malpractice occurred. On the surface, you sound like just another disgruntled patient who suffered either a complication or a less-than-ideal outcome.

A patient (or parents if patient is under 18) must give "informed consent" to allow a surgeon to operate. This informed consent includes a detailed explanation of the complications known to be possible, and signing the form indicates the patient is aware of the possible complications and chose to undergo surgery anyway.. A complication is an unwanted but normal outcome of surgery. This is different from negligence...which you imply but haven't demonstrated here.

As far as the "hospital" doing the corrective surgery for FREE, for an elective surgery that you (or your parents) chose to have.....good luck with that. You'll have to come up with a lot more than what you've presented here to get them to even bat an eye. Like I said, complications are a known and recognized part of surgery. There are no guarantees.

If you're arguing for negligence, you will have to show a Dereliction of Duty which Directly resulted in Damages (4 D's). As other posters have mentioned, the unfortunate reality is that complications and unintended outcomes are a normal part of surgery. While I certainly feel for you, I am not sure how the doctor is at fault here. I tend to agree with previous posts that the ultimate blame rests with your parents, as they gave consent for you to have an elective, not medically indicated surgery - whether for religious or aesthetic reasons.

If you have health insurance, just get this fixed. If not, it might be worth calling up a few local urologists to see if they would be willing to do this for a sliding scale fee (or no fee at all) given your family's financial situation and how much you have already suffered. In either case, I don't expect that pursuing the doctor who originally circumcised you will be fruitful.

Best of luck.

Thank you all for the very helpful and hard hitting advice.

These are all helpful and critical concerns I will be sure to cover in deciding my next course of action. Some information I'd like you all to consider, being surgeons who may have this operation requested in the future:

Williams and Kapila estimate that a realistic rate of complications from neonatal circumcision ranges from 2% to 10%.

Gracely-Kilgore reported that 15 percent of circumcised boys experience adhesions.

El-Bahnasawy reported that circumcision is the most frequent cause of penile injury.

And not being a researched statistic, I would appreciate your opinions on the accuracy of this statement:
The prepuce is highly vascularized, so it is likely to hemorrhage when cut, and severing the frenular artery is very common. Infants have a miniscule amount of blood in their tiny bodies and can tolerate only about a 20 percent blood loss before hypovolemia, hypovolemic shock, and death. A 4000 gram male newborn has only 11.5oz (340 ml) of total blood volume at birth, 85 ml per kilogram of weight. Blood loss of only 2.3oz, (68 ml) less than one-quarter of a cup, 20% of total blood volume at birth is sufficient to cause hypovolemia. The quantity of blood loss that might kill an infant—85ml—is easily concealed in today’s highly absorbent disposable diaper. Many newborns, and especially premature infants, weigh much less and a smaller amount of blood loss would be sufficient to trigger hypovolemic shock in those infants. Circumcision of infants, therefore, carries the inherent danger of hypovolemic shock and death.

Thank you

I don't know whether that is an attack of my character or a compliment. Yes, I am a sixteen year old. Otherwise I don't know that pursuing legal action would be the SLIGHTEST possibility, with the statute of limitations considered after turning 18 and the amount of time passed since the operation.

If I was already 18 I would have gone to the doctor and had the corrective surgery performed, but being a minor I'm not going to subject myself to the embarrasing situation of apporaching my parents about this issue unless I absolutely have to. And if and when I do go about with physically doing something I will make sure the negative experience of that situation is combatted with great positives. If retribution is involved, lucky me.

The quotes I left in my last post are from various research through the internet and library books. Granted, they are subject to scrutiny because they are findings from anti-circumcision activists (especially the last one). I never once suggested that I did that research myself, if this was misleading I apologize.

I don't think scrutinizing my character is at all relevant, so I'll re-state: All SUGGESTIONS, ADVICE, or IDEAS are appreciated.

Thank you.

PS> Apologies for being out of the doctoral loop, but what does OP stand for?

circvictim said:
And not being a researched statistic, I would appreciate your opinions on the accuracy of this statement:
The prepuce is highly vascularized, so it is likely to hemorrhage when cut, and severing the frenular artery is very common. Infants have a miniscule amount of blood in their tiny bodies and can tolerate only about a 20 percent blood loss before hypovolemia, hypovolemic shock, and death. A 4000 gram male newborn has only 11.5oz (340 ml) of total blood volume at birth, 85 ml per kilogram of weight. Blood loss of only 2.3oz, (68 ml) less than one-quarter of a cup, 20% of total blood volume at birth is sufficient to cause hypovolemia. The quantity of blood loss that might kill an infant—85ml—is easily concealed in today’s highly absorbent disposable diaper. Many newborns, and especially premature infants, weigh much less and a smaller amount of blood loss would be sufficient to trigger hypovolemic shock in those infants. Circumcision of infants, therefore, carries the inherent danger of hypovolemic shock and death.

Thank you
I'm not sure if it matters if that's accurate or not, because bleeding likely had nothing to do with your current problem. But then again, I'm not a urologist. Bleeding is an inherent risk in ALL surgeries.

SDN does not exist for the purpose of medical *or* legal advice. If you have a medical issue, see a doctor. If you have a legal issue, see a lawyer.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.