Circumcision later in childhood?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

el Scorcho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Circumcision at any age is traumatic for the patient whether they are an infant or an adult. Unless your kid is having major problems caused by the foreskin than he really doesn't need one. All problems related to the foreskin are treatable, thats if these problems really ARE caused by the foreskin which technically isn't the case most of the time. Infections and stuff like that aren't really because of the foreskin. No one really NEEDS a circumcison.

Circumcision at any age is traumatic for the patient whether they are an infant or an adult. Unless your kid is having major problems caused by the foreskin than he really doesn't need one. All problems related to the foreskin are treatable, thats if these problems really ARE caused by the foreskin which technically isn't the case most of the time. Infections and stuff like that aren't really because of the foreskin. No one really NEEDS a circumcison.

Are you a trained urologist? I doubt you are because you are talking out your ass. No one really needs a circumcision is the stupidest thing I have heard today. A new born baby doesn't but children and adult with phimosis, paraphimosis, and recurrent balanitis do...

Here is a great lesson.... when you don't know what you are talking about... don't give out advice

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a trained urologist? I doubt you are because you are talking out your ass. No one really needs a circumcision is the stupidest thing I have heard today. A new born baby doesn't but children and adult with phimosis, paraphimosis, and recurrent balanitis do...

Here is a great lesson.... when you don't know what you are talking about... don't give out advice

Amputation is always the last resort and is usually supposed to be done in emergency. Phimosis can be cured with steroid ointments, recurrent balantis can be handled through anitbiotics and proper hygeine, and in rare cases of paraphimosis, the foreskin can still be saved without surgical means and if surgery is required, it doesn't have to be a circumcision, it can be done by making a dorsal slit. Only in extreme cases is circumcison required but that's only after other means have failed.

Amputation is always the last resort and is usually supposed to be done in emergency. Phimosis can be cured with steroid ointments, recurrent balantis can be handled through anitbiotics and proper hygeine, and in rare cases of paraphimosis, the foreskin can still be saved without surgical means and if surgery is required, it doesn't have to be a circumcision, it can be done by making a dorsal slit. Only in extreme cases is circumcison required but that's only after other means have failed.

as a board certified urologist.... I will tell you this.... you are a ****** and have no clue

I don't know what the surgical indications for phimosis and paraphimosis are at framingham state but in the real world they follow the standard of care. Having done many dorsal slits and circumcisions and treated many cases of infections medically I think that the American Urologic Association board certification certificate framed on my office wall makes me qualified to debate a premedical student on this topic. There is a difference between cultural or cosmetic circumcision and medical reasons.

Maybe you were thinking of female circumcision...
Your opinion doesn't make fact... it just makes you sound like an ass to those of us who have been doing this for 20 yrs.

I don't know what the surgical indications for phimosis and paraphimosis are at framingham state but in the real world they follow the standard of care. Having done many dorsal slits and circumcisions and treated many cases of infections medically I think that the American Urologic Association board certification certificate framed on my office wall makes me qualified to debate a premedical student on this topic. There is a difference between cultural or cosmetic circumcision and medical reasons.

Maybe you were thinking of female circumcision...
Your opinion doesn't make fact... it just makes you sound like an ass to those of us who have been doing this for 20 yrs.

Just to make this clear, I have not started my pre-med education but I'm just telling someone my opinion that is based on the facts of other doctors and research. To my understanding, only in emergencies is circumcision absolutely necessary. I'm sorry to have offended you. I'd appreciate if you tried correcting me rather than attacking me. I was a little over the top by saying no one needs a circumcision but people get tricked into believing they need to get a surgery done like a circumcision when there are other methods out there. I would like to hear more of what you have to say former military because I would still like to learn more.

The circumcision of children, adolescents, and adults is very common. (Please don't pay attention to the anticirc comments. They will try to flood answers to your question with their propaganda. They lie. They are unscientific. They are preoccupied with the foreskin. They are living in the 18th century.)

For more evidence answering your original question, contact circumcisioncenter.com It is a leading medical site which provides adult circumcisions. David H Cornell, M.D. is a compassionate urologist who does painless circumcisions with medical expertise: The Circumcision Center, 993-C Johnson Ferry Rd., Suite 225, Atlanta GA 30342. I am not sure whether or not he circumcises children. Perhaps they can make a referral.

I strongly advocate circumcision as a cultural, hygienic, disease (including HIV) preventative procedure now done without pain to the infant and child. It is not a mutilation. As a parent it is your choice to make for the well-:thumbup: being of your child. It has no psychological side effects.

I am a Ph.D. and a practicing psychotherapist.

Wow....former military, you sound like an ass. It sounds like you were circumcised at a young age without your consent and still have some issues with it :eek:

The circumcision of children, adolescents, and adults is very common. (Please don't pay attention to the anticirc comments. They will try to flood answers to your question with their propaganda. They lie. They are unscientific. They are preoccupied with the foreskin. They are living in the 18th century.)

For more evidence answering your original question, contact circumcisioncenter.com It is a leading medical site which provides adult circumcisions. David H Cornell, M.D. is a compassionate urologist who does painless circumcisions with medical expertise: The Circumcision Center, 993-C Johnson Ferry Rd., Suite 225, Atlanta GA 30342. I am not sure whether or not he circumcises children. Perhaps they can make a referral.

I strongly advocate circumcision as a cultural, hygienic, disease (including HIV) preventative procedure now done without pain to the infant and child. It is not a mutilation. As a parent it is your choice to make for the well-:thumbup: being of your child. It has no psychological side effects.

First of all, circumcision for a baby is not painless because they cannot use adequate anestesia without complications because they are babies. The use of anestesia is new for circumcisions. All the studies that show that circumcision prevents diseases has counter studies which by the way have been neglected by the news. The foreskin also has an immunalogical affect so it actually fights off disease and bacteria. Also, if a child or adult gets it done, the recovery is a bitch and any doctor will tell you that. The foreskin is a normal part of the penis and it is erogenous. And how do you advocate it as a cultural procedure? The glans of the penis are also a mucous membrane and i'm not even gonna go inot that.

EPA06, you should keep "your" opinions to yourself, given that you are not qualified to weight the scientific evidence and have no clue as to what is involved in infant or adult circs (judging by your own posts). I would stay away from making suggestions to someone based on local gossip.

There is clear published evidence in respected journals as to the benefits of circumcision, and judging by recent scientific conferences there are a few more coming out in a couple of months demonstrating benefits for both male and female partners.

I would advise to get it over with. Contact your local urologist now to get the circ done. The earlier you get it done, the less "big deal" it is. Your local urologist will also answer any questions or concerns that you may have before the procedure.

I strongly advocate circumcision as a cultural, hygienic, disease (including HIV) preventative procedure now done without pain to the infant and child.

What is the mechanism by which circumcision prevents HIV transmission? Can you cite any studies?

Having done many circs and having had my own done when I was 11 years old under local anesthesia, I would advise to get it over with. Contact your local urologist now to get the circ done. The earlier you get it done, the less "big deal" it is. Your local urologist will also answer any questions or concerns that you may have before the procedure.[/QUOTE]

First of all, who decides to get a circ at the age of 11 (what prompted that out of curiosity?). And why don't people back up your arguments with links to articles. The last time I checked there was not a significant reason to get a circumcision. Usually it is done because the dad wants his son to look more like himself...How insecure :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there are really many medical reasons to circ a kid at birth, but it is a cultural phenomenon. Most kids are circ'd in the US and so most parents want their kids to look like all the other boys. I'm not a real proponent of circumcision, nor do I really say parents shouldn't circ their sons. Do what you want...

To answer the op's question... yes, you can circ your son at any age. We put kids under general anesthesia, do cavernosal nerve or lumbar blocks for local anesthesia. Then the kids get tylenol with codeine for post op pain. Most kids need the codeine for the first night and then are back to normal activity on POD #1.

As for older kids, like age 11, many get circ'd because they are going to be attending a new school. Many kids in the US are embarassed by their foreskin because most boys don't have it. Therefore, they want to get that removed before starting a new school. Is this a good reason? I'm not sure, but at least at this age of life it's really the boy's decision.

Original Poster, why would you even ask this on here? Why not ask your family doctor. Also are you really that stupid that you would think that a circumcision can't be done later on in life, there is no time frame for a circumcision. Also you said you tried searching online for the answer and couldn't find it? that's a bunch of BS.
I think you simply posted this up because you wanted to start something.

What is the mechanism by which circumcision prevents HIV transmission? Can you cite any studies?

One thing that might make this possible is the rapidity with which circumcised men reach orgasm. It is a handful of minutes. Intact men have much more control over their ejaculatory latency time. They can last much longer 15 to 60 minutes, and their partners enjoy it considerably more as well. That extra time would allow greater chance of transmission.

The only study on ELT did not control for circumcision status, -astoundingly.

Of course nobody at first blush wants to do a study on "Are Intact Men Better Lovers" too subjective and inflammatory.

I can think of a clinical study I read. I recall the subjects were in Africa. That is all I remember though and is certainly of no help.

HIV likes foreskin epithelium. Circumcised men are 60% less likely to contract HIV. The two landmark studies everyone is alluding to are both in Lancet (Lancet 369, 643–656; 2007; Lancet 369, 657–666; 2007) and took place in Africa, where the prevalence of HIV is soaring. here in the US, where the prevalence rate is much lower, the NNT makes the whole HIV issue little more than an interesting fact.

Hello my name is kayla and my son was born 10 months ago with esophageal atresia/tracheomalacia,bronchomalacia,larangomalacia,and down syndrome and a few other complications. I have a web site fro him at kaylapearson.com, and also my sons daddy made bornwithea.com. Our son was circumsized 5 days after he was born when he got his g tube put in. I think curcumsision is good but you have to have a good surgeon, we do Dr. Rogers he is the best he saved our sons life. If anyone can handle an esophageal atresia case this man is it. I think circumsision keeps the area clean and both our boys are circumsized. :)

One thing that might make this possible is the rapidity with which circumcised men reach orgasm. It is a handful of minutes. Intact men have much more control over their ejaculatory latency time. They can last much longer 15 to 60 minutes, and their partners enjoy it considerably more as well.

That's a lie.

HIV likes foreskin epithelium. Circumcised men are 60% less likely to contract HIV. The two landmark studies everyone is alluding to are both in Lancet (Lancet 369, 643–656; 2007; Lancet 369, 657–666; 2007) and took place in Africa, where the prevalence of HIV is soaring. here in the US, where the prevalence rate is much lower, the NNT makes the whole HIV issue little more than an interesting fact.

Take a look at the most recent JAMA, Oct. 8, 2008---Vol 300, No 14. "Circumcision Status and Risk of HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Men Who Have Sex With Men." They conclude that there is insufficient evidence that male circumcision protects against HIV or other STIs.

Take a look at the most recent JAMA, Oct. 8, 2008---Vol 300, No 14. "Circumcision Status and Risk of HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Men Who Have Sex With Men." They conclude that there is insufficient evidence that male circumcision protects against HIV or other STIs.

I doubt circumcision protects HIV or other STDs. However, there is enough evidence based on studies in Africa that it lowers the risk by 40% - 60%. This means that a circumcised guy having unprotected sex with a HIV+ is 40% less likely to contract the virus compare to an uncircumcised individual. This by no means suggests a free-for-all unprotected sexcapade because 60% chance of contraction is still very high! So basically, we should all protect ourselves, circumcised or not.

I doubt circumcision protects HIV or other STDs. However, there is enough evidence based on studies in Africa that it lowers the risk by 40% - 60%. This means that a circumcised guy having unprotected sex with a HIV+ is 40% less likely to contract the virus compare to an uncircumcised individual. This by no means suggests a free-for-all unprotected sexcapade because 60% chance of contraction is still very high! So basically, we should all protect ourselves, circumcised or not.

The point of the JAMA study was not to say that circumcision protects you from HIV/STDs, but to show that there was no difference in rates of HIV/STDs in circumcised vs uncircumcised males. It was a large retrospective review which demonstrated that circumcision does not lower your risk on contracting disease. Many people feel there are flows with the studies based in Africa. It will be interesting to see what future studies demonstrate.

The circumcision of children, adolescents, and adults is very common. (Please don't pay attention to the anticirc comments. They will try to flood answers to your question with their propaganda. They lie. They are unscientific. They are preoccupied with the foreskin. They are living in the 18th century.)....I strongly advocate circumcision as a cultural, hygienic, disease (including HIV) preventative procedure...I am a Ph.D. and a practicing psychotherapist.

Sounds like "former military" and "reg64" have huge throbbing chips on their shoulder about circumcision. Were you circumcised without your consent as children? :p It sure sounds like it.
Here we have to highly trained "experts" dispensing their valuable advise on an anonymous forum. Forgive me if I am not too convinced. It doesn't help that you don't sound very professional.
Clowns.

Sounds like "former military" and "reg64" have huge throbbing chips on their shoulder about circumcision. Were you circumcised without your consent as children? :p It sure sounds like it.
Here we have to highly trained "experts" dispensing their valuable advise on an anonymous forum. Forgive me if I am not too convinced. It doesn't help that you don't sound very professional.
Clowns.

Oooh c'mon!!!! Im pretty sure we are all guys in this room (or at least the vast majority) and the discussion theme is circumcision: good or bad... Now, what are the odds that a guy accepts that his penis isn't exactly the best?!?!?
Probably you aren't circumcised and you're defending your penis just like anyone else...Im sorry pal, that would also make YOU a CLOWN...HAHAHA

Oooh c'mon!!!! Im pretty sure we are all guys in this room (or at least the vast majority) and the discussion theme is circumcision: good or bad... Now, what are the odds that a guy accepts that his penis isn't exactly the best?!?!?
Probably you aren't circumcised and you're defending your penis just like anyone else...Im sorry pal, that would also make YOU a CLOWN...HAHAHA

What do you know about probability to say "probably." In case you don't know -- I'm not talking about that "3 blue marbles and 1 yellow marble" crap you learned in "Introductory Statistics".

I'm not your pal, but I'll humor you. I wasn't even talking about penises, I was just pointing out some obviously skewed phonies. So how the hell was I defending my own penis? Whether I'm circumcised or not, you'll never know -- no matter how you derived your "probably". However, pointing out clowns in the thread probably threatens your self-security (since both of them are probably the loudest advocates of circumcision in these forums; on that note, they too display clear signs of insecurity), and you hope to attack me in order to feel better about your own circumcision. By transitivity, that makes "YOU a CLOWN...HAHAHAHA" (to quote you).

Speaking of odds, can anyone figure out the odds of him being <15?

Users are reminded that insulting each other in the Moderated forums is a violation of the SDN Terms of Service you signed when you registered.

Please continue this discussion in a civil manner or further administrative action will be taken.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

What do you know about probability to say "probably." In case you don't know -- I'm not talking about that "3 blue marbles and 1 yellow marble" crap you learned in "Introductory Statistics".

I'm not your pal, but I'll humor you. I wasn't even talking about penises, I was just pointing out some obviously skewed phonies. So how the hell was I defending my own penis? Whether I'm circumcised or not, you'll never know -- no matter how you derived your "probably". However, pointing out clowns in the thread probably threatens your self-security (since both of them are probably the loudest advocates of circumcision in these forums; on that note, they too display clear signs of insecurity), and you hope to attack me in order to feel better about your own circumcision. By transitivity, that makes "YOU a CLOWN...HAHAHAHA" (to quote you).

Speaking of odds, can anyone figure out the odds of him being <15?

Im just saying this whole argument is pointless since every guy will definetly defend his "condition" (if you're not talking about penises :rolleyes:) including YOU. If you want to enter a pointless argument go ahead, enjoy yourself, but don't start pointing at others because you're not in a diferent position than everyone else.
Im 22, maybe you're older... I don't care, so please don't start with those "I know more about life because Im older than you-statements". And what if I was 15? And what if I was 13? Would that make you feel more secure? Would that make you feel like the winner in this argument?

Hey everyone!!! Big clap for YeOldeMan, for he is "the phonie's pointer" in this thread!! Wouldn't be the same without him!!!

Your argument is not "pointless," it's just seriously flawed and illogical. And I'm not arguing with you, I'm just telling you how it is.

I know more about life than you not because I'm older than you (which I'm not), but because I am smarter than you. And if you were 15, or even 13 -- you wouldn't have much credibility for your argument. Human development aside, those ages are long before you start learning any serious subject matter which could help you develop a credible view on life. I'm sure you can see that, and I think most would agree with me. And, believe me, I always feel secure about myself.

Last edited:
You're younger than me?! Wow this must be embarrasing for you, considering you're a person who thinks that when guy is younger than other guy is more likely to be wrong.

If you're so sure that you're smarter than me regardless you're arge, then why you had the need to talk about ages??? You're the one who said I was probably under 15...remember?
You know how I know you're definetly not very smart at all?? Ever heard of this??? "People shouldn't throw stones if they live in glass house"
That goes for you, don't bring topics to the discussion that might make you look bad. Don't talk without knowing... DON'T CALL OTHERS PHONIES IF YOU ARE IN THE SAME POSITION AS THEM. Or you think that you are the owner of the truth in a certain way??? Wow...I still haven't found a biggest clown around here. You called them clowns and then you're telling me that you're not arguing with me, you're just telling me how it is, like if you actually KNEW everything... Get a grip on yourself.

You're younger than me?! Wow this must be embarrasing for you, considering you're a person who thinks that when guy is younger than other guy is more likely to be wrong.

If you're so sure that you're smarter than me regardless you're arge, then why you had the need to talk about ages??? You're the one who said I was probably under 15...remember?
You know how I know you're definetly not very smart at all?? Ever heard of this??? "People shouldn't throw stones if they live in glass house"
That goes for you, don't bring topics to the discussion that might make you look bad. Don't talk without knowing... DON'T CALL OTHERS PHONIES IF YOU ARE IN THE SAME POSITION AS THEM. Or you think that you are the owner of the truth in a certain way??? Wow...I still haven't found a biggest clown around here. You called them clowns and then you're telling me that you're not arguing with me, you're just telling me how it is, like if you actually KNEW everything... Get a grip on yourself.

Are you sure you are in medical school?

Calm down and write a serious response kid. I never said you were "probably" under 15, and I never said greater age implies greater aptitude. You just don't get it. You have the same type of baseless and presumptuous attitude of all these "liberal arts" types who read one article about one racial incident and feel it's clear evidence of countrywide racism.

You posts are characterized by constant spelling and grammatical errors, insults, capitalized letters, and annoying combinations of question and exclamation marks. Take this for example:

"I still haven't found a biggest clown around here."

Are you saying you haven't found the biggest clown around here, or you haven't found a clown bigger than me? Your other statements I can interpret, but this is just too open-ended... :p

To the point, I feel that some of the posters here claiming to be experts and "scientific" were just emotional phonies, and I feel justified in it. There is no really "clear-cut" answer to the circumcision issue (forgive the bad pun), and anyone who claims to be absolutely correct, and at the same time denigrating other opinions, is just biased, and often visibly so. And they are "unscientific." If you want to know my opinion, it is that children should not be circumcised, they should make that choice on their own later in life when they can seek out and understand the information themselves.

Are you sure you are in medical school?

:D

Well...that's just YOUR opinion, there was no need to insult others who don't share it calling them clowns.
Excuse me for my spelling and grammar errors, Im costarrican...perhaps you'd like to continue with the discussion in spanish??? :D

You clearly said: Speaking of odds, can anyone figure out the odds of him being <15?

Your calling me a kid?! Dude that's just arrogant.

Anyways... I think we spended more time than necesary in this.

Bye.

well...that's just your opinion, there was no need to insult others who don't share it calling them clowns.
Excuse me for my spelling and grammar errors, im costarrican...perhaps you'd like to continue with the discussion in spanish??? :hungover:

you clearly said: Speaking of odds, can anyone figure out the odds of him being <15?

Your calling me a kid?! Dude that's just arrogant.

Anyways... I think we spended more time than necesary in this.

Bye.

SORRY i had forgotten THAT THEY WRITE like this in costA RICE!?!?!?!?!?!??!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!???????

Last edited:
SORRY i had forgotten THAT THEY WRITE like this in costA RICE!?!?!?!?!?!??!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!???????

It's Costa Rica, I hope you were kidding when you wrote "Costa Rice" but coming from you I wouldn't be so sure

Look man... I think this is completely unnecesary, I was thinking about it and realized that arguing like this isn't the purpose of these forums. I was wrong arguing with you and I so were you when you called those other users "clowns", well, at least that's what I think, but that's just my opinion and if you felt like you had your reasons to do it I can't say anything to stop you, so I just wanted to say Im sorry I insulted you, it doesn't matter if what you did doesn't seem right to me, you have the right to do it.
So Im sorry man, maybe if we talk in a more relaxed way you will see that Im a pretty laid back guy...so if you feel like you can put the past behind you...here I am.
:thumbup:

Ecxuse me if I have a few spelling and grammar mistakes, english isn't my first language