Vetenary medicine after human medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Salanke

Reaction score
I have been working with human especially pediatrics for 15 yrs now. My love for animals is immense. I am 42 yrs old. I was wondering if there is any way I can qualify for vetenary medicine and would like to spend rest of my life serving animals. If anyone have any information or suggestions please suggest.

Members don't see this ad.

Not without starting from scratch. The knowledge base is related but not enough to make you competent. As a MD pathologist, I have seen some MD crossover for veterinary anatomic and clinical pathology in rural areas in the past, but this is quickly disappearing as DVMs fill those roles.

What has made you decide to want to do veterinary medicine? Have you shadowed in a vet clinic? Or is it just a love for animals? Because vet med is dealing mostly with pet owners. So what's driven your decision that you want to do vet med instead?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You'd have to go to vet school like everyone else ;) My vet school class had an MD in it, and he took all the same classes for years that we all did.

I had classmates that were about your age when I was in school. You go through pretty much the same process of applicants that are about to graduate college or recently graduated from college. Some schools require that your prerequisite credits are within 6 years so make sure you meet all the requirements before you submit your application. That's not the problem.
Please do know that you do not have to go through vet school to save animals. It is a huge commitment and lots of suffering, and after it's all done you may find that the jobs you will get are actually not what you want.

Reactions: 1 users
Before you even think about how to become a vet and cross over, I would think hard about what exactly it is you want.

I for sure have an immense love for animals, but often have to have a callous attitude to get through my day to day as a vet. Most of what I get to do is not 100% in the interest of the animal. A lot of it is what the owners want, will, and are able to do (finances being a big part) - and often times it’s at odds with that is actually best for that animal. If I didn’t build a compartmentalized barrier to my feelings/love for animals that I would have under any other circumstance, I would be one depressed human being. For example, It’s not uncommon for pets to be euthanized just for being diagnosed with uncomplicated diabetes because the owner can’t or won’t treat it.

As others have said, if your goal is to serve animals to express your love for them, I’m not sure becoming a vet is the best way.

if I were an md, I would consider maintaining that as my work even if i became a little disillusioned by it. Maybe cutback to part time or something if I could. And make helping animals a hobby.

Reactions: 4 users
Before you even think about how to become a vet and cross over, I would think hard about what exactly it is you want.

I for sure have an immense love for animals, but often have to have a callous attitude to get through my day to day as a vet. Most of what I get to do is not 100% in the interest of the animal. A lot of it is what the owners want, will, and are able to do (finances being a big part) - and often times it’s at odds with that is actually best for that animal. If I didn’t build a compartmentalized barrier to my feelings/love for animals that I would have under any other circumstance, I would be one depressed human being. For example, It’s not uncommon for pets to be euthanized just for being diagnosed with uncomplicated diabetes because the owner can’t or won’t treat it.

As others have said, if your goal is to serve animals to express your love for them, I’m not sure becoming a vet is the best way.

if I were an md, I would consider maintaining that as my work even if i became a little disillusioned by it. Maybe cutback to part time or something if I could. And make helping animals a hobby.

If I could find something outside of vet med that pays decent enough, I'd leave in a hurry. I'd then just foster kittens on the side for my animal fix.

Absolutely this. By the time you factor in the cost of vet school (not just the tuition, but the cost of not working for 4 years) and the cut in salary that you will likely take, you'd be far better off working as an MD 1-2 days/week and volunteering at an animal shelter on your other days. You'd likely come out ahead financially AND get to spend more quality time with animals than you would as a vet.

Reactions: 2 users
I've had several students who started out as MDs -- a few who dropped out of medical school to switch to vet med and a few went to veterinary school after practicing as a physician. So it's certainly feasible.

As the posters have suggested, it's important to fully understand what you are getting into and carefully consider the reasons. "Serving animals" is certainly an important consideration but is not, by itself, enough, at least in my option.

I've had several students who started out as MDs -- a few who dropped out of medical school to switch to vet med and a few went to veterinary school after practicing as a physician. So it's certainly feasible.

As the posters have suggested, it's important to fully understand what you are getting into and carefully consider the reasons. "Serving animals" is certainly an important consideration but is not, by itself, enough, at least in my option.
I am sure both the MDs who became veterinarians and the former med students who became veterinarians regret that decision. It is much more common for veterinarians to become physicians who are superior to veterinarians in general due to their training. The OP needs to consult a mental health professional because it sounds like they are unable to be satisfied with current career and are seeking something “new” maybe to make them feel like they are accomplishing something continually. I think this might be called “the hedonistic treadmill” where one is always seeking new challenges just for the thrill of accomplishing them.

Last edited:
I am about to finish vet school and wish I could study human medicine now. I joined vet school due to family pressure. I would join human medicine without any second thought but of course, that's just a dream. I guess I have to just accept the fact that I cannot be a human doctor in this life. It is what it is

It is much more common for veterinarians to become physicians who are superior to veterinarians in general due to their training.
I wouldn't say superior, just different. In our society, one can't function without the other at this point. It's a difference in depth vs breadth of knowledge. Neither profession is better than the other.

For the OP, I agree with the previous statement of staying in human med part time while getting an animal fix on the side. Volunteering for animal organizations is a great way to donit without the financial and time commitments

Reactions: 5 users
physicians who are superior to veterinarians in general due to their training.
No, not superior......just different: We know different things and have different skills. Physicians' knowledge and practice is about a small area (one species, usually within one age group, sometimes just one discipline), and they know it (hopefully) deeply and thoroughly. Veterinarians' knowledge and practice is about a much broader area (multiple species, multiple disciplines), but not nearly as deep as that of physicians.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Vet med would be so much fun if you could do it as a hobby and only see the case types and case numbers you feel like without feeling obligated to do alllll the unsavory ancillary things. It’s just a hard way to make a living. For most people, a really poor quality of life and work/life balance either out of a sense of obligation that is the sinking ship that is your hospital, or financial need.

I love being a doctor in the veterinary capacity, and I love all the things I do. But the career itself is challenging with no end in sight.

Physicians are superior because of their depth of knowledge and training which surpasses most that of veterinarians who think they can get by in multiple fields without developing the expertise. This is basically what the One Health movement is in the profession by trumpeting the broad and shallow education of veterinarians as being "ideal". The profession is intellectually dishonest in believing the 4 year all species education and passing one exam is sufficient for any common definition of being a healthcare professional worthy of the term. MDs recognize that the academic degree can only provide a basic training and education that must be developed to achieve expertise in a specific area through a post graduate program of guided and monitored practice. Medical schools are not allowed to certify their graduates as ready for practice as veterinary schools are allowed to do essentially. No physician can engage in independent practice without at least one year of post graduate training and passing the 3rd part of the USMLE/COMLEX which test competency in actual practice. In veterinary medicine, you can essentially practice autonomously and independently without any post graduate training in any facet of veterinary medicine with your diploma and passing one exam NAVLE . It is denying reality to think otherwise that our system still works to instill any level of competence and confidence that has over 20 specialty colleges covering veterinary medicine in entirety.

The Accreditation Committee on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME.org) is separate from the medical schools, the American Medical Association, and establishes the guidelines for training for all residency programs . This is definitely superior to veterinary medicine where the AVMA( via the COE) and the AAVMC(veterinary medical colleges) have established what constitutes "acceptable" training to obtain a license to practice. State licensing boards basically rubber stamp what they have been told by these bodies as being "acceptable" training to enter practice.

"Face reality as it is, not as it was or as you want it to be" Dr. Jack Welch, former CEO of General Electric.

Physicians are superior because of their depth of knowledge and training which surpasses most that of veterinarians who think they can get by in multiple fields without developing the expertise. This is basically what the One Health movement is in the profession by trumpeting the broad and shallow education of veterinarians as being "ideal". The profession is intellectually dishonest in believing the 4 year all species education and passing one exam is sufficient for any common definition of being a healthcare professional worthy of the term. MDs recognize that the academic degree can only provide a basic training and education that must be developed to achieve expertise in a specific area through a post graduate program of guided and monitored practice. Medical schools are not allowed to certify their graduates as ready for practice as veterinary schools are allowed to do essentially. No physician can engage in independent practice without at least one year of post graduate training and passing the 3rd part of the USMLE/COMLEX which test competency in actual practice. In veterinary medicine, you can essentially practice autonomously and independently without any post graduate training in any facet of veterinary medicine with your diploma and passing one exam NAVLE . It is denying reality to think otherwise that our system still works to instill any level of competence and confidence that has over 20 specialty colleges covering veterinary medicine in entirety.

The Accreditation Committee on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME.org) is separate from the medical schools, the American Medical Association, and establishes the guidelines for training for all residency programs . This is definitely superior to veterinary medicine where the AVMA( via the COE) and the AAVMC(veterinary medical colleges) have established what constitutes "acceptable" training to obtain a license to practice. State licensing boards basically rubber stamp what they have been told by these bodies as being "acceptable" training to enter practice.

"Face reality as it is, not as it was or as you want it to be" Dr. Jack Welch, former CEO of General Electric.
:bullcrap:

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I mean…. Do dogs and cats need the level of hyper specialization that human MD’s need?

no.

they need primary care doctors that can address most things that come up throughout their lifetime in an adequate enough manner that they can live comfortably with reasonable longevity without it hopefully being too cost prohibitive for the average pet owner. And even when they need to be referred for specialty care, the goals for our patients are much lower than that for people. Like, if I’m diagnosed with glaucoma… I’d really like an ophthalmologist to manage that with whatever they need to do… not tell me that no eye is better than a painful eye so enucleation is a reasonable choice. But like, that’s totally fine for a dog/cat unless the owner is 100% in on managing it (preferably with an ophthalmologist if they really want to succeed for as long as possible) and I don’t think that is necessarily inferior as it addresses their QOL adequately.

my best friends are MDs currently finishing up prestigious fellowships and I’m super in awe of how knowledgeable they are and the level of training they get in their subspecialties. However, they really practice a narrow scope.

On a day that I admit a super sick blocked cat that I medically manage knowing I personally will perform a PU on, that I also diagnose and manage a diabetic patient, and perform a COHAT and spend a couple of hours performing oral surgery amongst other things, I’m actually in awe of myself for all that I’m able to do and do WELL for my patients. Half of the time what I do isn’t super evidence based, and I sure don’t have as strong an understanding of the pathophys of the disease or pharmacology of my therapies (partly because I didn’t study/remember them as well as I could, but largely because it’s unknown)… but at the end of the day, what I do for my patients generally address successfully what they need me to address.

I think it’s rather asinine to say which is “superior.” The dog I’m treating certainly doesn’t give two sh&$s if I’m inferior to an MD… Why does that even matter anyway? I didn’t go into this career for my ego…

Now it’s very true that quality control largely does not exist in veterinary medicine, and that the licensing process certainly doesn’t weed out bad vets. There are a lot of very bad vets out there that I would never want treating my personal pets. But there are good vets out there too, and overall the vet community is a good one. If the licensing became more stringent though, the profession would probably collapse the way it’s currently going.

Reactions: 13 users
MDs can't treat animals. DVMs can't treat humans. So one is not superior over the other. They are both experts in their respective fields.

Reactions: 9 users
The reality is that there isn't money for vet education to take 8 years for general practice. Can barely get people to take their pets in as it is

Reactions: 2 users
This dude's MO is basically to pop in every year or so and **** talk veterinary medicine. We aren't going to change their mind, he isn't going to change ours.

Reactions: 4 users
Shocked Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

• Haha
Now it’s very true that quality control largely does not exist in veterinary medicine, and that the licensing process certainly doesn’t weed out bad vets.
Frankly, it doesn't weed out bad physicians either, in multiple clinical specialties. I can't think of a single way to weed out those who answer the right things during a test and totally ignore all of that when they are out in practice. Believing that all doctors have superior, let alone deeply thorough, knowledge is a fantasy......really good doctors do, but they're not all really good.

Frankly, it doesn't weed out bad physicians either, in multiple clinical specialties. I can't think of a single way to weed out those who answer the right things during a test and totally ignore all of that when they are out in practice. Believing that all doctors have superior, let alone deeply thorough, knowledge is a fantasy......really good doctors do, but they're not all really good.
That’s true for sure. You have bad apples in every profession. But the pervasiveness of the good ‘ole depo and pen G for every sick pet level of malpractice isn’t one that is encountered in human medicine… it’s actually amazing how easy it is for one to practice that way for years and not be slapped with any sort of regulatory issues. I’m sure it exists here and there in human med. But like in vet med, there’s a good population of vets that practice that way.

Also, human doctors often suck in soooo many ways that I’m shocked as a patient. (And hence why I never said they were superior).

I was just agreeing that the vet licensing process allows for a lot of really bad vets. Never said there weren’t bad doctors out there.

But I do think we are kidding ourselves if we can’t concede that by nature of training in human med, MDs generally have more deep/thorough knowledge of their specialties. I think it would be our ego speaking for us to say otherwise. Are there outliers in either direction for both MDs and DVMs, of course there are. But that doesn’t mean anything.

More/longer training doesn’t make one profession superior to the other.

I don’t know what me or my fur babies would do without vets.

More/longer training doesn’t make one profession superior to the other.

I don’t know what me or my fur babies would do without vets.
Thanks. And I don't know what I and my skin babies would do without pediatricians.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
my skin babies
:rofl:

(Is that what Chinese crested owners call their dogs?)

but for real. You know who amazes me beyond belief? NICU/PICU doctors and nurses. Never mind what it takes to keep a 20-something wk preemie alive on a medical level… but their ability to deal with parents during the most stressful moments of their lives (especially the postpartum moms who really have no control over their hormonal/emotional state)

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but yes of course there is a big difference between the training we as vets receive and that of human physicians. I think a big part of that is that as students we get to perform significantly more procedures because our patients are "just" animals. I'm pretty sure human medical students aren't performing hysterectomies, running anesthesia, or enucleating eyes, but those are experiences not unheard of for veterinary students. Pretty sure we all agree we would prefer to get *more* of those experiences as students, but as a whole, our clinical training is more hands-on that in human medicine.

I have so many things to say and soapboxes about this topic but it'll take too long.

I'm just going to say let's not judge an apple because it isn't an orange.

but for real. You know who amazes me beyond belief? NICU/PICU doctors and nurses. Never mind what it takes to keep a 20-something wk preemie alive on a medical level… but their ability to deal with parents during the most stressful moments of their lives (especially the postpartum moms who really have no control over their hormonal/emotional state)

Same here. I spent some time rotating with a human neurosurgeon and the one thing that got to me was the children. Kids and brain tumors ... no thank you.

:rofl:

(Is that what Chinese crested owners call their dogs?)

As a postpartum mom who got scary news from a Dr (in a pediatric specialty center) with terrible bedside manner, not all of them are great at dealing with parents.

But, as in all things, patients (or owners/parents of patients) need to advocate for themselves and if a Dr (DVM or MD etc) isn't a good fit for you or isn't practicing quality medicine then you need to dump them and find one who does.

IDK how this thread got here but much love for the pediatricians in the world, especially those who work hard to educate their patients' parents and are understanding and patient with questions they've probably heard a million times (and with new moms sobbing uncontrollably in their offices).

if we can’t concede that by nature of training in human med, MDs generally have more deep/thorough knowledge of their specialties.
I think everybody agrees with that -- there is a far deeper and more thorough knowledge of their specialties......I think the question is whether that is "superior" to having a broader knowledge base of multiple areas without specializing in one. "Superior" is a subjective term that is based on a particular set of priorities - in this case, a small area of specialty for one species. If one has a different set of priorities - for instance, general medicine for multiple, variable patients of different species and phenotypes - then the ranking of "superior" may be different.

I think everybody agrees with that -- there is a far deeper and more thorough knowledge of their specialties......I think the question is whether that is "superior" to having a broader knowledge base of multiple areas without specializing in one. "Superior" is a subjective term that is based on a particular set of priorities - in this case, a small area of specialty for one species. If one has a different set of priorities - for instance, general medicine for multiple, variable patients of different species and phenotypes - then the ranking of "superior" may be different.
Right… and I never said either was superior.

I said it was asinine to assign superiority to these fields…

As a postpartum mom who got scary news from a Dr (in a pediatric specialty center) with terrible bedside manner, not all of them are great at dealing with parents.

oh for sure, there are bad communicators (and just bad doctors) in any field. In general I’ve had more bad interactions with human physicians than I’ve had good, so it’s not like I think they’re all great. And I’m not surprised at all that you had a bad experience. Hope your little one is ok, and sorry you had to experience that.

But one thing that really struck me as a postpartum mom with a baby needing a short stint in the NICU recently was how constantly these doctors were dealing with hysterical parents. Thankfully my child was totally fine and there was no question she wouldn’t thrive. Just had a minor problem that needed to be addressed prior to being released. So I was pretty calm and just nodded along since it all made sense. And the doctor kept asking me if I was ok. At one point, she was like, “you just seem so calm and I can’t tell if it’s because you’re in shock or if you are confused or if I’m not explaining things fully”

At that point I was like… “I mean my child is fine and not expected to have any complications or deficits from this, the treatment is very low risk, and she and just needs a little supportive care for 24-48hrs before I can take her home right? Or is there a greater concern that I’m not comprehending?”

Like obviously I was disappointed not to be able to take my baby home right away. But otherwise there was literally nothing to be all that upset about. And then it dawned on me that this doc is so used to working with suuuuper distraught parents all the time that seeing one that wasn’t made her uncomfortable. And I was like oh hell no. I’m so glad that’s not my job!!! The occasional hysterical pet owner is totally fine, but I couldn’t do that day in and day out.

In Michigan, there is no rubber stamping. Regardless of how many hoops a practitioner has to go through doesn't mean one profession is superior to another. I am curious and not trying to be provocative but do you consider a PHD in quantum physics superior/equal/inferior to a PHD in sociology; and why?

Last edited:
My 2 cents as a veterinarian who teaches primarily at an medical school and secondarily at a veterinary school.

I do have to admit that the training that MD students get is far more in-depth. Honestly, it just IS. It's on a completely different level - and that's okay. I wish people would stop getting so overly defensive about it. Veterinary training IS broad and shallow. Because it simply has to be due to the number of species we need to learn about. AND THAT IS OKAY.

As an educator, I truly believe that the best and deepest form of understanding disease is being able to go from what is happening on a biochemical level, to a cellular level, to a tissue level, to an organ level, to a clinical sign and presentation level. That is why you understand WHY the disease does what it does, HOW it does it, and WHY treatment xyz is appropriate. On the vet student side, I'm simply not able to take it to that level due to the volume. Vet students primarily need the "Whats" and "How to Fix"es - there is simply not enough room for all the "Whys". Of it there IS room for some Whys, we are only able to skim the surface or go over it once or twice. Whereas medical students also get a MUCH bigger dose of the "Whys" and we can go crazy in depth with the pathophysiology of whatever organ system or disease we are talking about.

Tl;dr: Is medical education "superior" to veterinary education in the overall scheme of things? Of course you can't say that, because it is comparing two different careers. However, the depth of understanding of both 1) general and 2)organ-specific pathophysiology in medical student education is definitely superior -- and I'm talking in general, BEFORE they specialize.

Last edited:
My 2 cents as a veterinarian who teaches primarily at an medical school and secondarily at a veterinary school.

I do have to admit that the training that MD students get is far more in-depth. Honestly, it just IS. It's on a completely different level - and that's okay. I wish people would stop getting so overly defensive about it. Veterinary training IS broad and shallow. Because it simply has to be due to the number of species we need to learn about. AND THAT IS OKAY.

As an educator, I truly believe that the best and deepest form of understanding disease is being able to go from what is happening on a biochemical level, to a cellular level, to a tissue level, to an organ level, to a clinical sign and presentation level. That is why you understand WHY the disease does what it does, HOW it does it, and WHY treatment xyz is appropriate. On the vet student side, I'm simply not able to take it to that level due to the volume. Vet students primarily need the "Whats" and "How to Fix"es - there is simply not enough room for all the "Whys". Of it there IS room for some Whys, we are only able to skim the surface or go over it once or twice. Whereas medical students also get a MUCH bigger dose of the "Whys" and we can go crazy in depth with the pathophysiology of whatever organ system or disease we are talking about.

Tl;dr: Is medical education "superior" to veterinary education in the overall scheme of things? Of course you can't say that, because it is comparing two different careers. However, the depth of understanding of both 1) general and 2)organ-specific pathophysiology in medical student education is definitely superior -- and I'm talking in general, BEFORE they specialize.

Agreed. After now consulting with other vets, I don't think we really learn enough to do all that we do.

Last edited:
And I so wish the major vet labs would get with current medicine and update normal creatinine reference ranges for cats. A creatinine of 2 is NOT normal, and I have to remind vets of this as well, yes it is in reference, but based on IRIS guidelines that'll be at minimum stage I and possibly even stage 2 renal disease. The labs need to get up to date so vets stop seeing "Well that's in reference range so it is fine."

Sorry, /soap box.

Reactions: 6 users

Agreed. Dunno why the vet community gets so defensive about it. When you think about how shallow a curriculum even just normal physiology/biology is in vet school… and add to it the lack of evidence based medicine in vet med due to lack of funding/interest/ability/etc… there’s just no way. I mean… I feel like I find new things every day that I realize we do with 0 data behind it. And also, how many drugs are we ever taught the exact mechanism of action - even the ones that are known? Not a whole lot.

Despite that, I don’t think any less of what I do though - I actually think quite highly of what I do. I just do the best with what info/resources I have, and my patients get the best care *I* can provide them with what I know. Why do vets feel the need to compare ourselves to MDs all the time and then get all agitated about it?

I do wish I learned more in depth and cut out all the species I don’t even pretend to know enough about to do anything with. I would be a better feline/canine doctor if I only studied dogs/cats. But that’s a whole nother discussion.

In specialty, too. I used to go to resident rounds at a large human tertiary referral ophthalmology center. The ophthalmologists specialized not just by a single species, but by specific parts of the eye. Even specific parts of specific parts of the eye. The level of detail far surpassed understanding in vet ophtho. This isn't to denigrate the vast array of knowledge we've accumulated across breeds and species - it's just different. I still feel like a generalist most days despite specializing.

I just disagree that depth of knowledge is inherently superior to breadth.
Yeah literally there is one person who has said that ever on this forum.

Also… I don’t get why anyone has to feel their occupation is superior to any other for any reason. As long as you serve some sort of purpose in society that is needed, then does it even matter? Like I’m sorry, you’re an dingus if you feel like your job is more superior because you feel like it takes a higher level of education, whether that is true or not. A doctor of any kind is no more superior than the receptionist or server or janitor.

Reactions: 6 users
No one has mentioned this, but pediatrics is probably the closest thing human med has to vet med. So I would ask yourself what vet med (presumably small animal GP) has to offer you that your current job doesn’t. From my perspective: animals and a greater scope of work. Then I would ask yourself how you can get your animal fix aside from another four (or more, since you’ll have to repeat prerequisites I’d assume) years of school, debt, etc.

Sometimes I'm just sitting in class and think, gosh I would be able to follow much better if I knew much more about the pathophysiology of it, and think maybe I made the wrong choice in vet med. But really, nothing can beat being so many specialties in one day and being able to work with all types of species. Breath of knowledge takes the win for me. We are all different.