Livestock Medicine Externship/Internship Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurecowvet96

WesternU c/o 2024
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could possibly provide me with some recommendations on some clinics/opportunities for 4th year externships focused on livestock medicine? I am currently a 3rd year at WesternU and am working on planning externships for my 4th year. I am really interested in reproduction and am looking for some dairy and beef focused experience.

Also interested in any similar post-grad internships anyone knows about!

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I didn’t do an externship there, but I know that StockVets in Indiana is somewhere a chunk of people from uiuc have gone throughout the years for cattle. One of my friends did a block there last year.

Reactions: 1 user
Many of the professional organizations such as AABP maintain a list of clinics offering externships. After graduation, there are many clinics that would be very willing to hire you full time and provide the necessary mentorship to develop a new graduate without you having to incur the expense on an internship.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty good AABP podcast episode where two clinical year students discuss their dairy externship experiences -

Definitely agree checking out AABP website. If you’re a student member then you can apply for externship grants.

Classmates loved going out to Kansas State for their beef production rotations

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could possibly provide me with some recommendations on some clinics/opportunities for 4th year externships focused on livestock medicine? I am currently a 3rd year at WesternU and am working on planning externships for my 4th year. I am really interested in reproduction and am looking for some dairy and beef focused experience.

Also interested in any similar post-grad internships anyone knows about!

Thanks in advance
I picked an area/ state where I thought I might want to live and practice. I emailed a few vets and found an externship in WY with a mixed animal vet, who did a lot of reproduction work with beef cattle. They also provided some basic housing at the clinic. It was a smaller clinic but with a huge client base. It wasn't originally advertised as having externships, but sometimes the smaller clinics allow students to do more hands-on than other more well-known externships/internships.

I didn’t do an externship there, but I know that StockVets in Indiana is somewhere a chunk of people from uiuc have gone throughout the years for cattle. One of my friends did a block there last year.
I would only really recommend StockVets if you’re more small ruminant-focused and/or therio-focused. There’s some other asterisks I’d put on that, strong pros and cons to doing a block there that I can talk about over PM. I haven’t personally but I have some experience with them and my friend did a block.

Seconding AABP externships page (also AASV and AASRP if you’re interested) being the best resource. If you’re looking for palpation blocks, I’ve heard of ones offered by ABS, TransOva, The Animal Clinic (Oglala, NE), and The Dairy Authority (Greely, CO).

Does your school have a place where you can access past students’ evaluations of blocks/externships? If not, and you’re worried about going to a place blind, you could ask people at schools who do (hi) to take a look at what students have said about that place.