Vet tech refresher course/VTNE study resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildlifer

LVT hopeful
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Haven't been on this forum for a bit. Long story short, my initial goal was vet school, applied during the 2016 cycle, didn't get in and took it as a sign that it wasn't meant to be.

Anywho, I've been working as a non licensed vet tech for about 3 years. I have two bachelor's degrees, animal science and wildlife biology. I'm not looking to go back to school at this point because I just can't add on anymore student debt (one of the reasons why I felt it was probably for the best that I didn't get in to vet school). However, I was wondering if there was any sort of refresher type course available for vet techs? I am hoping to sit for the VTNE within the next year and would be interested in taking a course like that (if there's one available). My state's tech school doesn't seem to have any course like that. Anyways, any tips would be helpful. And if anyone else took the VTNE without having a tech degree, I'd love to hear about your process of prepping and such, thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

You don’t need to go to tech school to be eligible to take the VTNE???

According to my state, I have to have a request letter, some LORs from vets I work with, and my transcripts and based on all of that, they will review them and determine if I am eligible. I know the vets I work with would write me solid letters and I would think my animal science degree would be sufficient enough combined with the on the job training. There was a tech who used to work at my clinic that went through the same process and was able to take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to my state, I have to have a request letter, some LORs from vets I work with, and my transcripts and based on all of that, they will review them and determine if I am eligible. I know the vets I work with would write me solid letters and I would think my animal science degree would be sufficient enough combined with the on the job training. There was a tech who used to work at my clinic that went through the same process and was able to take it.
Interesting that you don’t actually have to go to tech school. Good luck on the exam

I took the VTNE this summer (although, I did graduate from a program)

I personally didn't take any formal VTNE prep course, although these courses definitely exist as I know people who have taken them (unfortunately I don't remember the name at all...possibly through Vet Prep?) And as stated before, I'm sure there are resources available on VSPN as well.

The one non-school supplemental resource I did use and found helpful was Review Questions and Answers for Veterinary Technicians. I actually only rented the book itself (the reviews on this edition say it has many errors?)--I mainly used and recommend the online version, which you gain access to after registering the book on Elsevier's site. In the online version, you can take simulated full exams and receive a grade breakdown, or practice questions separated by specific domain (e.g. anesthesia/analgesia, dentistry...there are literally thousands of questions). The online version also gives rationales for why an answer is correct/incorrect. It gives you a great idea of the format of the exam and what sorts of information you will be expected to know.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the VTNE this summer (although, I did graduate from a program)

I personally didn't take any formal VTNE prep course, although these courses definitely exist as I know people who have taken them (unfortunately I don't remember the name at all...possibly through Vet Prep?) And as stated before, I'm sure there are resources available on VSPN as well.

The one non-school supplemental resource I did use and found helpful was Review Questions and Answers for Veterinary Technicians. I actually only rented the book itself (the reviews on this edition say it has many errors?)--I mainly used and recommend the online version, which you gain access to after registering the book on Elsevier's site. In the online version, you can take simulated full exams and receive a grade breakdown, or practice questions separated by specific domain (e.g. anesthesia/analgesia, dentistry...there are literally thousands of questions). The online version also gives rationales for why an answer is correct/incorrect. It gives you a great idea of the format of the exam and what sorts of information you will be expected to know.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy past few weeks. Anywho, thanks for the resource, I'll definitely check it out!