Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeterinaryLover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you are looking into your Vet school of choice, what do you look for in the school?

Members don't see this ad.

:D... which one lets you in.

haha sounds good to me :)

When I'm looking at a school I do compare and contrasts... what they both have to offer and what they have unique. Then i take the things they both have in common and decide which is stronger. It really just depends on what you want to take from college and what type of education / opportunities you're looking for. Any in particular?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you would spend 100s of dollars to apply to these schools???

Its pocket change compared to the hundreds of thousands of dollars we will spend when we get into any of these schools.

Personally, I would. If you are not perfect in all areas there is a big chance that some will accept you and others won't like you! Unless you have a 4.0 GPA, perfect test scores, and thousands of hours of experience, then there is a chance that certain schools will like you and certain schools will not! :)

Well I would spend a lot of money (decent amount) applying to vet school but what I meant by what I said was that to narrow down to picking which one you want... thats the method I use. Then again, I'm only applying to undergrad right now. Still, It's working for me now :)

Personally, when the time comes, I would apply to as much schools as possible and then compare the ones I got into...if any at all:D

I disagree about applying broadly for vet school. While most people don't limit themselves applying to 3-5 is the norm I would say (maybe less). You really need to look into the schools and apply to those that suit you. The schools will see the number of schools you applied to, so be prepared to explain that in an interview.

I disagree about applying broadly for vet school. While most people don't limit themselves applying to 3-5 is the norm I would say (maybe less). You really need to look into the schools and apply to those that suit you. The schools will see the number of schools you applied to, so be prepared to explain that in an interview.

I agree. While I understand that the application costs will be a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of vet school, that still doesn't mean I have thousands of dollars to burn right now.

And, because I just had a big cup of soda (a mistake in retrospect) this is how I narrowed down schools:
1. Looked over all the schools that had requirements I could meet. Certain schools had requirements that just weren't offered at my school, or were the only school that had that requirement, so I felt I would be better off putting my resources towards more general requirements.
2. Looked at which schools took a significant amount of out of state students - you would be surprised how these first two conditions really narrowed the list. I think I was left with 11 schools afterwards.
3. I knew I wanted to apply to a max of 5 schools, so I made an spreadsheet that had everything on it from tuition to climate to the nearest professional baseball league on it. In the end I made a few personal choices to get down to my 5.

I think this worked out really well for me, but, that being said, I have still not been accepted anywhere, so I guess we'll find out soon enough!

I don't think it's a negative that schools see you applied to a bunch of places- I think it shows that you are serious about wanting to become a veterinarian. I applied to 10 and it worked out for me.
Andrew

so you would pick one school out and only apply there???
I WANT TO KNOW HOW DID EVERYONE pick a school to go to, what did they see in that school before the interviews and the college visit?????

I WANT TO KNOW HOW DID EVERYONE pick a school to go to, what did they see in that school before the interviews and the college visit?????

Why is everyone going around the question?

I agree. While I understand that the application costs will be a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of vet school, that still doesn't mean I have thousands of dollars to burn right now.

And, because I just had a big cup of soda (a mistake in retrospect) this is how I narrowed down schools:
1. Looked over all the schools that had requirements I could meet. Certain schools had requirements that just weren't offered at my school, or were the only school that had that requirement, so I felt I would be better off putting my resources towards more general requirements.
2. Looked at which schools took a significant amount of out of state students - you would be surprised how these first two conditions really narrowed the list. I think I was left with 11 schools afterwards.
3. I knew I wanted to apply to a max of 5 schools, so I made an spreadsheet that had everything on it from tuition to climate to the nearest professional baseball league on it. In the end I made a few personal choices to get down to my 5.

I think this worked out really well for me, but, that being said, I have still not been accepted anywhere, so I guess we'll find out soon enough!

Apparently, you didn't read the other posts. The above post is a pretty thorough explanation of how someone chose their schools. By looking at pre-reqs, locations, and the number of OOS people accepted. No one can tell you where to apply or how to choose schools - you have to figure that out by doing your OWN research.

You're going to have a heck of a time getting in if simple reading is hard for you.

Read the posts above - people did respond to you. And being impatient and rude is no way to get help.

There are very few vet med schools in the US. Getting in is not easy, it's competitive. You will find that out when you start doing your research. You "pick" any one that accepts you. If you're lucky, more than one will accept you.

You look at your stats, look at the school's stats, cost and requirements, and if it seems like they match you can decide if you want to apply there.

Basically, you have your best shot at your in-state school. A much, much smaller chance at an out of state school. And if you're WICHE, then it's a little more confusing.

And I figured all this out on my own. It's not that diffucult to look up. A good place to start is AAVMC.

This is no way to speak to people who will eventually be your colleagues one day (since you are so sure about yourself). Maybe you haven't been on this forum long enough/haven't had enough experience in the vet world, whatever; but we pretty much respect eachother around here. We are all on here for the same general purpose, we will help eachother out and provide advice when needed (professional related or personal). If you want something, or have a question, there is a way to go about asking without being rude and people will be glad to help on here. If not, then leave, we won't miss you :oops:

If not, then leave, we won't miss you :oops:
you guys are getting feisty around here ;)

oh, and i suppose i'll answer the original question: i looked at location of the school, and knowing that i wanted to do equine, the school's rep in equine medicine. then i visited and got all emotional about the rest of the decision. i.e. where did i feel right? answer was clear. done deal.

I mostly just looked at the schools' websites. See what the admission standards are, what courses the students take, what clinics the school offers, etc. I went to the VMCAS website and looked up the demographics. It was important to me that the schools I applied to accepted a variety of ethnicities, especially Hispanics. I did not want to be the only person in my class that speaks Spanish. I also read the Vet forum a lot. You could go there and ask questions. The only school I got to visit was UF, since that is where I did my undergraduate.

I'd research which schools you think you'd get into, or have some chance, and then ask questions here about which schools have certain programs, and who enjoys going where they go for schooling.

Some more research on your part is required first and foremost.

you guys are getting feisty around here ;)

oh, and i suppose i'll answer the original question: i looked at location of the school, and knowing that i wanted to do equine, the school's rep in equine medicine. then i visited and got all emotional about the rest of the decision. i.e. where did i feel right? answer was clear. done deal.

you are too kind em :cool:

no, seriously.