Vet School Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheez

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am soon to be a junior in college in the US and am looking into completing vet school abroad (the US is still an option as well). I am a bit confused when I look through the websites for the accredited international vet schools. Are US schools the only schools that split up undergraduate and vet-school? I was looking into Utrecht, Netherlands and it seems as if the undergraduate studies and vet-school are packed into one study... My question is: is there any international school where I would be able to complete only the four years of vet school, already having my 4-year undergraduate degree from the US?

Secondly, how would that affect my working in the US if my studies would be in Dutch? (P.S I do already speak Dutch).

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I am soon to be a junior in college in the US and am looking into completing vet school abroad (the US is still an option as well). I am a bit confused when I look through the websites for the accredited international vet schools. Are US schools the only schools that split up undergraduate and vet-school? I was looking into Utrecht, Netherlands and it seems as if the undergraduate studies and vet-school are packed into one study... My question is: is there any international school where I would be able to complete only the four years of vet school, already having my 4-year undergraduate degree from the US?

Secondly, how would that affect my working in the US if my studies would be in Dutch? (P.S I do already speak Dutch).

Thank you so much!

Some international schools have graduate entry routes. The only ones I know of personally are RVC and Edinburgh. I would check the websites for each school and see if they have graduate entry courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

Thank you so much!
I think most European schools have it where people straight out of high school can enter so afaik most (all?) are considered undergrad because you’re getting a bachelors, but some have a 5 year plan and a 4 year and usually if you have an undergrad degree you’d apply for the 4 year plan.
Lucky for you, Utrecht is AVMA accredited, so you’d be able to work in the US without having to take an extra exam, just the navle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most European schools have it where people straight out of high school can enter so afaik most (all?) are considered undergrad because you’re getting a bachelors, but some have a 5 year plan and a 4 year and usually if you have an undergrad degree you’d apply for the 4 year plan.
Lucky for you, Utrecht is AVMA accredited, so you’d be able to work in the US without having to take an extra exam, just the navle.
Ok, so in Europe they only study for 5 years total instead of 4 years undergrand plus 4 years of vetschool? Would that mean if I do the 4 year plan I would be re-study what I studied in college?

Ok, so in Europe they only study for 5 years total instead of 4 years undergrand plus 4 years of vetschool? Would that mean if I do the 4 year plan I would be re-study what I studied in college?
No.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this, but this is how I’ve been told it is. Some places with a 5 year program for people fresh out of hs it’s like taking your prereqs the first year and then 4 years of vet school. There are some places who offer a 4 year program as well as their 5 year program, so with the 4 year program you’ve already done your prereqs and now you’re going to vet school after. So you skip that first year of prereqs the fresh-out-of-high-school kids would be taking and jump in with those kids who have already finished that year.

No.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this, but this is how I’ve been told it is. Some places with a 5 year program for people fresh out of hs it’s like taking your prereqs the first year and then 4 years of vet school. There are some places who offer a 4 year program as well as their 5 year program, so with the 4 year program you’ve already done your prereqs and now you’re going to vet school after. So you skip that first year of prereqs the fresh-out-of-high-school kids would be taking and jump in with those kids who have already finished that year.

This is mostly what I’ve experienced here. The 18 year olds here have done A levels, which is really hard to compare to American high school because they pick 3/4 subjects to study their last two years. They only do those and so they study them to a higher level. Usually veterinary students have A levels in bio and chem at least. It’s almost like an AP test.

Also their normal university- say for a psychology or business degree- is 3 years. So vet school is two years longer than their normal.

RVC doesn’t really do prerequisites (I think it’s an American thing), they have a spiral curriculum and so they just go less in depth in the systems first year and then again in second. Third year is when you start clinical teaching. There are also no classes here like there are in the states. You won’t have for example a renal physiology class for a semester like in the states. It’s so hard to compare and it does take time to get used to. Don’t underestimate culture shock wherever you go!

Reactions: 1 users
No.
I think you've got it right. I believe Australia does the same, I know an Australian vet who jokes about being ridiculously immature considering the education and responsibilities he was dealing with while in vet school.

Reactions: 1 users
This is mostly what I’ve experienced here. The 18 year olds here have done A levels, which is really hard to compare to American high school because they pick 3/4 subjects to study their last two years. They only do those and so they study them to a higher level. Usually veterinary students have A levels in bio and chem at least. It’s almost like an AP test.

Also their normal university- say for a psychology or business degree- is 3 years. So vet school is two years longer than their normal.

RVC doesn’t really do prerequisites (I think it’s an American thing), they have a spiral curriculum and so they just go less in depth in the systems first year and then again in second. Third year is when you start clinical teaching. There are also no classes here like there are in the states. You won’t have for example a renal physiology class for a semester like in the states. It’s so hard to compare and it does take time to get used to. Don’t underestimate culture shock wherever you go!
I understand now, thanks a lot!!

No.
Oh great, I've looked into UCD in Dublin and they seem to have that program, I'm really interested in it! thank you so much