Very low step 1 score, please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dahassa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Everything outside of your step 1 score makes you a fantastic candidate for virtually any specialty. Unfortunately, I believe some programs do use step 1 cutoff scores to grant interviews. Likely less in pediatrics, though.

I would recommend sending emails to programs you are interested in when applying to explain your score. Your predicament is unique and notifying programs shouldn't hurt you. It will hopefully prevent them from screening you out of an interview solely because of a poor step 1 score.

Good luck and keep up the great work!

Ouch. I'm gonna say Hopkins is a no go here. Atleast my impression was that the values test scores highly. Can't say anything about Maryland. Good news is you are very likely to match!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is hard to say. While the Step I score is barely passing the Step II score is dramatically improved. Likewise, the rest of your application sounds pretty strong (most pediatric applicants don't have any publications with their name). However, nothing of course is a guarantee. It never hurts to apply to places you have your heart set on, just make sure they aren't the only places you apply.

Just as an FYI, when you do get an interview, you are likely to be asked about your Step I performance. Be honest. I think saying that you were going through a stressful time, such as your fathers passing away, is likely to alleviate any concerns a program could have regarding ranking you based on your Step I performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Like someone said, I think Hopkins uses a Step 1 cutoff, but I think you definitely have a shot at U. of MD. I think Baltimore also has another, smaller pediatric residency program (blanking on their name right now) that you probably have a good shot at.
If you really want to go to Baltimore for residency, I think writing a separate personal statement for that program wouldn't hurt. I would imagine you would get an interview there even with that Step 1 score.

Hey! Like someone said, I think Hopkins uses a Step 1 cutoff, but I think you definitely have a shot at U. of MD. I think Baltimore also has another, smaller pediatric residency program (blanking on their name right now) that you probably have a good shot at.
If you really want to go to Baltimore for residency, I think writing a separate personal statement for that program wouldn't hurt. I would imagine you would get an interview there even with that Step 1 score.

It's Icahn school of medicine at Mt Sinai. I interviewed there a few weeks ago and really liked it fwiw. You can do always at Hopkins and u of md when you're there.

It's Icahn school of medicine at Mt Sinai. I interviewed there a few weeks ago and really liked it fwiw. You can do always at Hopkins and u of md when you're there.

Are you referring to "Sinai Hospital" in Baltimore? I don't believe it is affiliated with Icahn School of Medicine. It's a small program but I think it provides a decent education. If you must stay in Baltimore, I would apply to this program