Passed Step 3; Low score- transmit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worriedimg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
As the title says, I have passed the Step 3 exam (hurray!). I'm an IMG and graduated summer '16, and currently in the match cycle. I have good Step 1 and 2 scores (250s) and passed CS first attempt. I read step 3 doesn't count much in Pediatrics, but since I was in the US for IVs, I thought I would use the trip and took it. Unfortunately, you cannot take Step 3 (unlike Step 1 and 2 CK) outside the US.

Thing is, I got a score of 211. Should I transmit the score report, or does it reflect badly and I should just not say anything to the PDs?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't submit. It's inconsistent with your previous scores. You're right, it's a test of little importance but I would be baffled by that score. Residents generally score lower as they are busy balancing work and study and focusing on a very specific field but you have no excuse

Your step 1 and 2 make you very competitive. Usually just passing step 3 is all residencies care about. I definitely wouldn't lie about it if you're specifically asked whether you took step 3 or not because that will be a huge red flag for you. I think you are gonna be just fine in the end. Best of luck!