VCU vs USF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aps12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between VCU or USF... any thoughts? I'm out of state for both schools.

They say that it doesn't really matter which medical school you go to, that it depends upon yourself to get a good match for residency. In terms of research ranking, VCU and USF are ranked the same, but for primary care USF is unranked. I shouldn't focus on the rankings of the school though...both schools seem to have pretty good match results, mostly within their state but there are increasing numbers for out-of-state matches.

I'm looking for which school would offer me a better education and give a higher quality of life. For education, I've heard that VCU prepares their students really well for the boards but I don't know much about USF's educational preparation.

I'm originally from California so I really love the warm weather and USF appeals to me for that. But USF is a smaller school (class size of ~120), while VCU is much larger (class size ~200), and I'm not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are to having a larger/smaller class size. It also seems that half of VCU's class is from out of state, so I feel like I blend in a bit more there.

In terms of the location, I'm not too familiar with Tampa and Richmond areas, so any insights on those places would really help out. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.