VCOM MABS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait does that mean that if we have a Macbook pro from 2015 we can use it for this program?
As long as you can look into the current software and hardware yours is using and it meets the requirements yeah. Mine worked just fine and I have a 2015 model.

Members don't see this ad.

Do people get off the waitlist usually?
I have been placed on the waitlist and my stats are cgpa of 3.4 sgpa 3.29 and MCAT score of 504.

I have been placed on the waitlist and my stats are cgpa of 3.4 sgpa 3.29 and MCAT score of 504.
Do you mind sharing the timeline of your application? (When you applied, when you went into final review)

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow you were waitlisted with those stats a month before the deadline? Who are they accepting then?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, is there a GroupMe for our 2020-2021 class?

Also, if anyone is looking for a guy roommate, feel free to DM me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, I got accepted recently, 2/19 complete (transfer DO application), 4/29 final review, 5/13 accepted.
I am looking for apartment/roommate now. If anyone is still looking for roommate or would like to lease together, please DM me, thanks! Female only.

Hey guys, is there a GroupMe for our 2020-2021 class?

Also, if anyone is looking for a guy roommate, feel free to DM me!

I believe there is a Facebook page but no groupme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received numerous direct messages about the program. Many of these questions overlapped so I am going to do my best to answer them all here. I just completed MABS this past year.

A little about me:
- I applied very late, about 3 days before the deadline. I transferred my application from the DO program to the MABS program. I was accepted end of June/first week of July.
-came into the program with an MCAT of 496, 3.5 cumulative and 3.3 science. (get your MCAT score before the program starts I cannot stress this enough!!) Had many extracurricular activities and worked in health care for 3 years.
-made December benchmark with 3.73 GPA and was accepted to the Carolina campus
-made a 3.94 GPA in spring semester

About the program:
-I did not purchase any books during the entire program. All the information you need is in the power points. However, if you wish to have a book there are free PDF versions floating around... although I do not have a copy of them.
-Some of you asked about getting ahead and studying this summer... I do not recommend it. Enjoy your break while it lasts, there will not be many during the year.
-Are the classes hard? Yes, but in my opinion it's due to large amount of information all at once, not because the information is rocket science.
-In the fall most people struggled with Biochem. For spring semester I'm not too sure because we went online pretty early on.
-My study habits: I try to skim through the power point the night before lecture, I say try because it does not always happen but I feel that I follow the teacher better in class when I do. I got an iPad over Christmas break and I swear it cut my study time in half and I retained more information. Many other people got iPads and said it helped them also. Its great because you can label and write on your lab slides (as well as lecture ppts).

Hope that was helpful :)

Reactions: 6 users
Can a current or recent MABS student provide more clarity on the Kaplan course that is available throughout the semester? The one above mentioned not trying to take the MCAT during the program but what if that was our plan?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went into final review on may 6th. Anyone know how far admissions committee is in reviewing apps? I saw people before my day heard back in 10 days

Yeah I'm worrying also. Idk what to expect. Hopefully they dont waitlist us
I am not sure exactly how they do it but I saw someone who applied after I did and got accepted over a week before I did so I wouldn't lose hope!

I received numerous direct messages about the program. Many of these questions overlapped so I am going to do my best to answer them all here. I just completed MABS this past year.

A little about me:
- I applied very late, about 3 days before the deadline. I transferred my application from the DO program to the MABS program. I was accepted end of June/first week of July.
-came into the program with an MCAT of 496, 3.5 cumulative and 3.3 science. (get your MCAT score before the program starts I cannot stress this enough!!) Had many extracurricular activities and worked in health care for 3 years.
-made December benchmark with 3.73 GPA and was accepted to the Carolina campus
-made a 3.94 GPA in spring semester

About the program:
-I did not purchase any books during the entire program. All the information you need is in the power points. However, if you wish to have a book there are free PDF versions floating around... although I do not have a copy of them.
-Some of you asked about getting ahead and studying this summer... I do not recommend it. Enjoy your break while it lasts, there will not be many during the year.
-Are the classes hard? Yes, but in my opinion it's due to large amount of information all at once, not because the information is rocket science.
-In the fall most people struggled with Biochem. For spring semester I'm not too sure because we went online pretty early on.
-My study habits: I try to skim through the power point the night before lecture, I say try because it does not always happen but I feel that I follow the teacher better in class when I do. I got an iPad over Christmas break and I swear it cut my study time in half and I retained more information. Many other people got iPads and said it helped them also. Its great because you can label and write on your lab slides (as well as lecture ppts).

Hope that was helpful :)
What subject/prof did you find the most challenging each semester, and would say we should devote a little more time to than some others?

Also, does anyone know how much the deposit is for us this year 2020-2021? I was accepted but didn't get any details in that email

Another recent MABS grad - first off, congrats on getting accepted if you have already and don't lose hope if you haven't! I thought I'd throw in my two cents since there are so many of us with so many different strategies/methods that got us through the semester.

About me:
- Applied through PostBacCAS in 2018, didn't get accepted --> worked on bringing my science GPA up so I could re-apply --> applied in Feb/March and heard back by April
- Stats upon entering: 3.08 cumulative and 3.0 science; 497 MCAT
- @medstudent8778 is right about getting it done before the program - it allows you to just focus on the schoolwork. there were a number of people who took it either right after school started or soon after. i don't know any of them personally, but i think they managed. there was also a large amount of people who took it in january so they would be ready for march benchmark review.
- made December benchmarks with 3.61 and got a 3.94 in the spring --> going to Virginia

About program:
- literally everything @medstudent8778 is what I would say as well
- for the fall semester: biochem and anatomy were hard for some people; physiology is also notoriously hard but mainly because the professor talks fast. don't freak out - her reviews are very indicative of what's on the exams. for the spring semester: i think almost all the classes were difficult except for community health and maybe microbiology. but by the second semester, you've established your study habits, so i think most people tend to do better in the spring than they do in the fall.
- my study habits: front-loading --> you'll learn about it from one of the professors. for hard classes/classes i wanted to do really well in, i filled out the lecture objectives for class the night before, went to class and took notes, came back home and filled out whatever i learned from class into the lecture objectives. for some classes, i made anki, for others i didn't. for "easy" classes, i would still front-load but not to that degree - literally just spending 10-15 minutes looking at the slides for next day's class is a great advantage. going to lecture should not be first time you're seeing the information (that's something my dad taught me, as he's also a big supporter of front-loading). you have exams every monday (except for holidays that fall on mondays) and i would seriously start studying for the exams around wednesday or thursday. by sunday, i was fairly comfortable with the material and should only be reviewing a few forgotten details by monday morning.
- i would suggest getting a gym membership, making a home gym or just making sure you are active. i gained weight with this program because all you really do is get up, drive to class, go sit in a chair, come home or go to VCOM to review, sit there - basically it's a lot of sitting. so work out when you can - your body and brain will be thankful.

if you have anymore questions, just lmk!

I am not sure exactly how they do it but I saw someone who applied after I did and got accepted over a week before I did so I wouldn't lose hope!
That gives me hope! Thanks for sharing it. I needed it

Another recent MABS grad - first off, congrats on getting accepted if you have already and don't lose hope if you haven't! I thought I'd throw in my two cents since there are so many of us with so many different strategies/methods that got us through the semester.

About me:
- Applied through PostBacCAS in 2018, didn't get accepted --> worked on bringing my science GPA up so I could re-apply --> applied in Feb/March and heard back by April
- @medstudent8778 is right about getting it done before the program - it allows you to just focus on the schoolwork. there were a number of people who took it either right after school started or soon after. i don't know any of them personally, but i think they managed. there was also a large amount of people who took it in january so they would be ready for march benchmark review.
- made December benchmarks with 3.61 and got a 3.94 in the spring --> going to Virginia

About program:
- for the fall semester: biochem and anatomy were hard for some people; physiology is also notoriously hard but mainly because the professor talks fast. don't freak out - her reviews are very indicative of what's on the exams. for the spring semester: i think almost all the classes were difficult except for community health and maybe microbiology. but by the second semester, you've established your study habits, so i think most people tend to do better in the spring than they do in the fall.
- my study habits: front-loading --> you'll learn about it from one of the professors. for hard classes/classes i wanted to do really well in, i filled out the lecture objectives for class the night before, went to class and took notes, came back home and filled out whatever i learned from class into the lecture objectives. for some classes, i made anki, for others i didn't. for "easy" classes, i would still front-load but not to that degree - literally just spending 10-15 minutes looking at the slides for next day's class is a great advantage. going to lecture should not be first time you're seeing the information (that's something my dad taught me, as he's also a big supporter of front-loading). you have exams every monday (except for holidays that fall on mondays) and i would seriously start studying for the exams around wednesday or thursday. by sunday, i was fairly comfortable with the material and should only be reviewing a few forgotten details by monday morning.
- i would suggest getting a gym membership, making a home gym or just making sure you are active. i gained weight with this program because all you really do is get up, drive to class, go sit in a chair, come home or go to VCOM to review, sit there - basically it's a lot of sitting. so work out when you can - your body and brain will be thankful.

What are some places you recommend for getting a gym membership since it’s not offered apart of the program anymore? I prefer running outside, but know that’ll be hard once winter kicks in.

What are some places you recommend for getting a gym membership since it’s not offered apart of the program anymore? I prefer running outside, but know that’ll be hard once winter kicks in.

There's the Weight Club and Anytime Fitness in Blacksburg and Planet Fitness in Christiansburg (neighboring town). Each town has its own Crossfit club and Recreation Centers with fitness centers. I don't know much too about those, but there were a few people in the program who were CrossFitters.

Got an acceptance email tonight after applying 04/14 and final review 05/06! Does anyone know whether there is a time restriction on when I have to accept by?

Also, I went to Virginia Tech for undergrad so if anyone wants to know anything about the area or my experience with it, feel free to ask!

They will send you an email saying when the deadline to commit is.

Got an acceptance email tonight after applying 04/14 and final review 05/06! Does anyone know whether there is a time restriction on when I have to accept by?

Also, I went to Virginia Tech for undergrad so if anyone wants to know anything about the area or my experience with it, feel free to ask!
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats?

About me:

About program:

Love this. Thanks for the insight. Does the March benchmark create a lag year? Should the goal be to pass the December benchmarks to heighten chances of med school matriculation the following year?

Just got accepted last night! Went into final review on May 6th!

Reactions: 4 users
Love this. Thanks for the insight. Does the March benchmark create a lag year? Should the goal be to pass the December benchmarks to heighten chances of med school matriculation the following year?

The March/May benchmarks used to create a lag year, due to there only being 3 campuses. Now with 4, there is a slightly higher chance of getting into whichever campus you would like in July of the same year with March benchmarks. Even if you don't, you still have your seat for the following year's class. But yes, your goal should be to meet December benchmarks in order to get into the Class of 2025.

With that in mind and as previously mentioned, get the MCAT out of the way so you focus on schoolwork and also applying. You still have to apply through AACOMAS and fill out the secondary despite being in the program, and that can take some time out of studying as well. So once you get the emails and info from VCOM admissions, try your best to finish all the application stuff before the deadline, crush the rest of the semester and you could get a nice Christmas present: a medical school acceptance!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted last night! Went into final review on May 6th!
Congrats. Long time lurker on this forum, and I just made an account. I applied on april 15th and got a final review email on may 12th.

If possible would you be able to share your stats?

Thanks for keeping other fellow applicants updated on your status! I've been really anxious since the final review email :D

Congrats. Long time lurker on this forum, and I just made an account. I applied on april 15th and got a final review email on may 12th.

If possible would you be able to share your stats?

Thanks for keeping other fellow applicants updated on your status! I've been really anxious since the final review email :D
Sure. I have gpa of 3.85 and science gpa 3.74. 496 mcat tho

Thanks! I have a 494 MCAT with a 3.2 overall and 3.1 science and I'm terrified cuz of my low gpa :nailbiting:. I've literally been checking my email non-stop since the final review email was sent haha

Thanks! I have a 494 MCAT with a 3.2 overall and 3.1 science and I'm terrified cuz of my low gpa :nailbiting:. I've literally been checking my email non-stop since the final review email was sent haha
Those r not bad and as long as you have extracurricular and wrote good essay letting them know you are passionate about medicine and ready to work hard, you should be fine. Sometimes it might take around 12 days for final decision

Just like dinanina97 said, you'll receive another email this upcoming week stating the $500 tuition deposit is due within 15 days of you receiving this second email, not your acceptance that you received last night. However, you also have to submit payment to Precheck for a background check within the 15 day time frame too; this is another $70.

You have to do both of those things before your seat is saved. You don't have to get the results from the background check, just make sure to submit the payment for it within the timespan.

Just like dinanina97 said, you'll receive another email this upcoming week stating the $500 tuition deposit is due within 15 days of you receiving this second email, not your acceptance that you received last night. However, you also have to submit payment to Precheck for a background check within the 15 day time frame too; this is another $70.

You have to do both of those things before your seat is saved. You don't have to get the results from the background check, just make sure to submit the payment for it within the timespan.

I did the background check a few weeks after paying the enrollment deposit. Do you think this is a problem? Because they did email me my bluefield account a few days ago. I’m really scared that my seat isn’t saved.

I did the background check a few weeks after paying the enrollment deposit. Do you think this is a problem? Because they did email me my bluefield account a few days ago. I’m really scared that my seat isn’t saved.

If you received your BC stuff I'm sure it's fine! I only read through the whole forum once, but haven't you been accepted for a decent amount of time? I would go back to your email that tells you about the deposit, that is where I'm getting my information from. It is possible my email is different than yours since I got in on May 15.

In my email it conflicts itself. It lists the background check under "matriculation requirements." It first says to start this "at the time of deposit" but in the same paragraph it says that "a monetary fee must accompany the PreCheck application which is to be submitted by the tuition deposit date."

They really aren't good at providing clarity, as the due dates for the health and immunization form, as well as the proof of insurance form have earlier due dates in my email than they are on the website. I've already emailed Jean Herndon about these contradictions but haven't heard anything back (I sent an email last Tuesday and a follow up Friday).

Withdrawing my acceptance here because I got into DO school. Good luck to all those waiting! Would have been honored to have joined you all!

Hey guys ! I was recently accepted to the program. please let me know if anyone is still looking for a roommate.

The March/May benchmarks used to create a lag year, due to there only being 3 campuses. Now with 4, there is a slightly higher chance of getting into whichever campus you would like in July of the same year with March benchmarks. Even if you don't, you still have your seat for the following year's class. But yes, your goal should be to meet December benchmarks in order to get into the Class of 2025.

With that in mind and as previously mentioned, get the MCAT out of the way so you focus on schoolwork and also applying. You still have to apply through AACOMAS and fill out the secondary despite being in the program, and that can take some time out of studying as well. So once you get the emails and info from VCOM admissions, try your best to finish all the application stuff before the deadline, crush the rest of the semester and you could get a nice Christmas present: a medical school acceptance!
Do you have to interview? Or they just accept you right away if you meet the benchmarks?

Recently accepted! Let me know if you’re looking for a female roommate!

Do you have to interview? Or they just accept you right away if you meet the benchmarks?

You get accepted straight away - no interview, which is a huge advantage of this program! Most places give you a guaranteed interview and no promise of a seat; this program gives you a seat and no interview.

Hi everyone!

I recently found out I was accepted and am seriously considering attending in the fall! A friend of mine had a sister go through the MABS program, and she's at the Auburn campus now. She gave me some advice on where NOT to stay and I've noticed that some of the apartments in the area do not have availability. So, if anyone knows of any places to live or is looking for a female roommate, let me know!

Hi everyone!

I recently found out I was accepted and am seriously considering attending in the fall! A friend of mine had a sister go through the MABS program, and she's at the Auburn campus now. She gave me some advice on where NOT to stay and I've noticed that some of the apartments in the area do not have availability. So, if anyone knows of any places to live or is looking for a female roommate, let me know!
Congrats! I came across a similar issue trying to find housing. Some advice I give you is definitely looking on the VTech housing FB group as well as FB Marketplace in Blacksburg/Christiansburg. After applying to several waitlists about 2 month ago, I narrowed it down to Hethwood, The Adams at Pepper Ferry, Windsor Hill, or Highlands. Heard fairly good reviews about all of them.

Been in final review for 12 days now and I’m starting to get nervous. I heard the average turn around time for a decision was around 10 days. Has anyone waited over two weeks for a decision after being moved into final review?

Been in final review for 12 days now and I’m starting to get nervous. I heard the average turn around time for a decision was around 10 days. Has anyone waited over two weeks for a decision after being moved into final review?

My application was in review for almost 2 months!! They are very slow at getting your application to final review! And then even after that, it is slow.

Hi everyone!

Do you mind sharing the places of where NOT to stay. Thanks

I went into final review on 5/15 and haven’t heard back yet either! Getting nervous as well...