VCOM MABS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone hear back recently? Went in to final review 05/22 which is kinda late but still holding out hope. Anyone know how full the class is?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I was accepted yesterday in the morning and went under final review 5/20!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear back recently? Went in to final review 05/22 which is kinda late but still holding out hope. Anyone know how full the class is?

I can only attest to how full the Facebook group is, which is at 103 members right now. However, there are people in the FB group that are current students, people subleasing apartments, etc. So I'd estimate we're actually at low 90s for how many students are in the group and might have accepted

Hello everyone! I was waitlisted today :(

Can anyone provide details on how the waitlist for this program works or provide any advice regarding being on the waitlist? I'd really appreciate it! I was informed that a final decision will be made in June.

First review: 5/18/20
Final review: 5/21/20
Waitlisted: 6/11/20

Science GPA: 3.40
Overall GPA: 3.57

@mdot02, did you hear back about the waitlist final decision yet?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I was waitlisted today :(

Can anyone provide details on how the waitlist for this program works or provide any advice regarding being on the waitlist? I'd really appreciate it! I was informed that a final decision will be made in June.

First review: 5/18/20
Final review: 5/21/20
Waitlisted: 6/11/20

Science GPA: 3.40
Overall GPA: 3.57

@mdot02, did you hear back about the waitlist final decision yet?

Sorry to hear :/. Any reason you think you may have gotten waitlisted with that decent GPA?? Sorry I cant answer your question.

Sorry to hear :/. Any reason you think you may have gotten waitlisted with that decent GPA?? Sorry I cant answer your question.

Thanks @ibby2003! I appreciate your response. I didn't take the MCAT yet, but I am unsure how that could factor in. I know my application wasn't perfect because I was in a rush to finish it. I submitted the day before it was due. I've also been out of school for a few years due to needing to take care of family. I'm happy that I wasn't outright rejected.

I hope everyone hears back regarding their application soon & congratulations to those who have been accepted!

For those accepted into the program, do we also need to reapply to VCOM for next class's cycle (after we complete the program)? How should we be going about that at this moment in time? It's a little confusing to me because if we're given a spot upon completion of the program, would there be a need to reapply the classic way?

Hey everyone,

I was contacted by the program as a VCOM applicant in May about transferring my application to the MABS program, if I was interested. I responded a day later but haven’t heard anything else. Anyone elsedo the same? How long does that typically take to hear back after you transfer your app? Or what was the timeline? Thanks for any input!!

Hey everyone,

I was contacted by the program as a VCOM applicant in May about transferring my application to the MABS program, if I was interested. I responded a day later but haven’t heard anything else. Anyone elsedo the same? How long does that typically take to hear back after you transfer your app? Or what was the timeline? Thanks for any input!!
I was in the same situation, but I followed up by email with them to see what was going on. It turned out they never received my application materials from the simple request I was told to send. So basically, it's likely they didn't receive any of your materials. You should definitely email them, but I don't know if it's too late or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

Hey!

The same situation also happened to me. I was a VCOM applicant and was contacted about the program and replied the day they sent the email out. After two days of not hearing anything, I reached out and they said they must have missed my email and didn't receive the transfer. So they processed it after I reached out. I know the deadline was May 15th, but it doesn't hurt to reach out and see since it seems to be some type of email error, maybe on their end?

Thank you!! I appreciate your response. I’ll reach out and see what’s what. If they missed it and I missed the deadline, so be it.

Is anyone still waiting to hear back for an acceptance?

For those accepted into the program, do we also need to reapply to VCOM for next class's cycle (after we complete the program)? How should we be going about that at this moment in time? It's a little confusing to me because if we're given a spot upon completion of the program, would there be a need to reapply the classic way?
Former MABS student here. The dean of the program and some of the staff from VCOM will tell you when to submit your application for the upcoming cycle. You will have to fill out the AACOMAS application and provide a personal statement. You don’t have to worry about finding letters of recommendations again, the staff will provide those for you. If you do plan to apply to other programs, then you will have to find other letters of recommendation. But in all, the staff will ensure that you are on the proper timeline to have your application submitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we have to submit an aacomas app to vcom even if we’re in this program?
You will have to submit a formal application even though you have been accepted to this program. You don’t have to worry about finding letters of recommendation since the staff will provide those for you, unless you plan on applying to another program.

Former MABS student here. The dean of the program and some of the staff from VCOM will tell you when to submit your application for the upcoming cycle. You will have to fill out the AACOMAS application and provide a personal statement. You don’t have to worry about finding letters of recommendations again, the staff will provide those for you. If you do plan to apply to other programs, then you will have to find other letters of recommendation. But in all, the staff will ensure that you are on the proper timeline to have your application submitted.
Thank you!

Just got put on the waitlist. Was told that those waitlisted will hear back by the end of June.

I read on the MABS Program Overview page:

"Due to COVID-19, the MABS class commencing on July 27 will open with a blended curriculum delivery. The bulk of the curriculum will consist of recorded lectures in the form of voice-over PowerPoints that will be posted online. However, mandatory anatomy laboratories, and potentially other class activities, will be live within the classroom. All classroom activities will take place in accordance with COVID-19 precautions as dictated by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Once commonwealth guidelines for classrooms allow, the MABS program will revert to its usual mode of a curriculum delivery of live lectures; at that time, online lectures will no longer be posted".

Does anyone have a clue what the in-person schedule would look like?

I also was wondering if anyone else was planning on taking the MCAT while in the program? I know of course it isn't ideal- but circumstances including the virus have come up. I wanted to take it the first time before starting the program, however, if I need to retake it I'm just worried I'd have to end up taking a lag year. I guess that isn't terrible, just wondering what others are thinking/planning.

Those of you who haven't heard back yet, good luck!!

Anyone on waitlist hear back yet? I guess we’ll hear back next week? I wonder if multiple acceptances will go out filling up the spots of those who decided not to matriculate this year.

Anyone on waitlist hear back yet? I guess we’ll hear back next week? I wonder if multiple acceptances will go out filling up the spots of those who decided not to matriculate this year.

I haven’t either and yeah that’s what I’m thinking too. I’m not sure how full the class is though or how many people are on the waitlist.

I’m still waiting to hear back as well!

Is everyone still waiting to hear back from the waitlist?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what is going on for the first week of classes yet? Is there still an in-person orientation, and if not would we be able to get away with not being in Blacksburg that week? I had a family thing come up and was not sure if I would just be able to work from home that week since it sounds like most lectures are going to be online except for anatomy labs.

Has anyone on the waitlist been able to get in contact with anyone regarding change of status? I emailed the admissions but have not gotten a response.

i wouldnt expect anything other than an R seeing as they would've reached out if they had seats

Does anyone know if all the seats have been filled or not?

So I've been accepted to the program and I had originally planned on taking the MCAT again. My current score is a 496 and was wondering whether I should: take it now and try and get a better score or after spring semester is over. This is kind of a back up plan just in case things don't go my way. Not insinuating I'm not going at this with 100% focus and motivation, but sometimes life happens. Just wondering, any feedback is welcome.

What does your gpa and extracurriculars look like? Are you trying to apply MD? Are you willing to take a second gap year?

So I've been accepted to the program and I had originally planned on taking the MCAT again. My current score is a 496 and was wondering whether I should: take it now and try and get a better score or after spring semester is over. This is kind of a back up plan just in case things don't go my way. Not insinuating I'm not going at this with 100% focus and motivation, but sometimes life happens. Just wondering, any feedback is welcome.

For those on the waitlist, did you reach out to the admissions committee for an update? If so, what did they say?

I did a couple of days ago and they never replied to me.

For those on the waitlist, did you reach out to the admissions committee for an update? If so, what did they say?

Yes, but no response from them yet. I am wondering if the COVID situation is causing this delay. I'm sure there is a good reason for why we haven't heard back...especially since the waitlist email stated we would hear back within the June timeframe even if they aren't able to offer a seat in the program.

What does your gpa and extracurriculars look like? Are you trying to apply MD? Are you willing to take a second gap year?
My cGPA is 3.45 and sGPA is 3.21.
ECs: volunteered at hospital for like 200+ hours, scribe for 2 years, community service hours like 200+ hours through various orgs.

No, just DO

And finally, preferably not.

I think this program is your best shot! You’ve already got the mcat to matriculate without a another gap year I see no reason to take it again. Plus then you only have to focus on getting the required gpa

My cGPA is 3.45 and sGPA is 3.21.
ECs: volunteered at hospital for like 200+ hours, scribe for 2 years, community service hours like 200+ hours through various orgs.

No, just DO

And finally, preferably not.

They told me COVID could be delaying the waitlist and that they anticipate something by the end of this week. But then again I could see some people hearing maybe next week...

Reactions: 2 users
I think this program is your best shot! You’ve already got the mcat to matriculate without a another gap year I see no reason to take it again. Plus then you only have to focus on getting the required gpa
I agree. Many people previously in the program stated that it was very doable to meet the benchmark, also that the professors are helpful

They told me COVID could be delaying the waitlist and that they anticipate something by the end of this week. But then again I could see some people hearing maybe next week...
I'm guessing by the end of next week now since I did not receive an email today.

I got an update from Sheila saying they expect to have the admissions process completed within the next ten days.

Hope this info helps anyone that’s still waiting to here back!

I got an update from Sheila saying they expect to have the admissions process completed within the next ten days.

Hope this info helps anyone that’s still waiting to here back!

It’s crazy that it’s taking this long. The program starts in 20 days…

I am applying this cycle. Did anyone get in who were not URM?

Is everyone from waitlist still waiting to hear back?

Does anyone who has already been accepted know if there are still spots available?

Does anyone who has already been accepted know if there are still spots available?

Just by looking at the schedule of classes, it says there are 5 seats left in the number of student enrolled. This could either mean there are 5 spots left or that some accepted students haven’t been enrolled yet by paying the deposit.

Reactions: 3 users

Looks like from the email we received about verifying insurance today that there were 124 people.

Does anyone know what is going on for the first week of classes yet? Is there still an in-person orientation, and if not would we be able to get away with not being in Blacksburg that week? I had a family thing come up and was not sure if I would just be able to work from home that week since it sounds like most lectures are going to be online except for anatomy labs.

Sheila recently sent out a nicely organized PDF doc with all of the classes laid out for the term. There's a note on it that if a Z is next to a class then it's on zoom and if there is a CA (class attendance) then you have to be there in person. I am assuming then that for everything else, even though it has specific time frames laid out, are online and self-paced? The zoom things appear to be supplemental type classes, but maybe they're mandatory? Those are also live it looks like as indicated by their time frame.

That being said, the first week we have nothing that indicates we have to be there in person... The first day just literally says orientation with no CA or anything by it. I emailed Sheila for clarification but haven't heard back. Also on that Tuesday the 28th, there are slots saying "pictures" so I'm not sure what that's about or if we'd have to be there for that.