VCOM MABS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you mind telling us where you've been accepted or what other program you would be considering?
I decided to study for my MCAT and apply directly to DO schools

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am also a current MABS student. Please PM me if you have any questions about the program. Nala has done a great job answering all of your questions but if you have more personal questions, don’t be afraid to reach out. Good luck to all applying and congrats to all that have been accepted.

Also, if any male students are looking for housing and doesn’t mind having roommates, PM me!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hi! I do have a question that I hope you can answer. The letter that I received reads that the program start July 27, so does that mean that classes start that date or that is when orientation begins? I'm trying to gauge my last day of work and when I need to move to Blacksburg (to have time to set up/get comfortable in my space).

Thanks

Guys do we apply for FAFSA after acceptance? Or can we do it before? How does that work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys do we apply for FAFSA after acceptance? Or can we do it before? How does that work.

I added the school to my FAFSA report before I applied to the school. After I was accepted the financial aid office sent me my award letter.

Hi! I do have a question that I hope you can answer. The letter that I received reads that the program start July 27, so does that mean that classes start that date or that is when orientation begins? I'm trying to gauge my last day of work and when I need to move to Blacksburg (to have time to set up/get comfortable in my space).

Thanks

I figured I could answer this also. Orientation is really only 1 day, which is the "first" day of class. The following day you will start lectures. As long as you are moved in by the weekend before classes start you should be fine. They will be taking your photos for the directory within the first 2 days, so I would make sure you're in town for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,
I'm really nervous about my application. I have 3.2 cGPA and haven't taken the MCAT yet because my MCAT exam got cancelled. I have volunteered in hospitals in India and shadowed doctors there as well. I'm also currently scribing for the past year. I have taken part in parkinson's research in a neurology lab at my university. I have a lot of volunteering and shadowing hours. I have also went back and tutored students in k-12 every weekend. Does anyone know if I have any chances at getting into this program? Can any current students give me advice on how to make my application better? Thank you.

hi all! I'm a current mabs student here who just got accepted to vcom-virginia during the december benchmarks, if you have any questions about the program let me know. I am loving it so far
Do you know if they make any exceptions for students with science GPA below the required minimum? Also do you know average stats of students accepted into the program?

Do you know if they make any exceptions for students with science GPA below the required minimum? Also do you know average stats of students accepted into the program?

Unless we are friends with a student who was accepted below the cutoffs and they told us, we don't really know that information. They also do not share any average stats of students who were accepted. Even once in the program they will not share what the average grade was for an exam because they do not want us competing with each other since technically every single person can get admitted as long as they meet benchmarks.

Reactions: 1 users
I figured I could answer this also. Orientation is really only 1 day, which is the "first" day of class. The following day you will start lectures. As long as you are moved in by the weekend before classes start you should be fine. They will be taking your photos for the directory within the first 2 days, so I would make sure you're in town for that.

Thank you so much!

Unless we are friends with a student who was accepted below the cutoffs and they told us, we don't really know that information. They also do not share any average stats of students who were accepted. Even once in the program they will not share what the average grade was for an exam because they do not want us competing with each other since technically every single person can get admitted as long as they meet benchmarks.

My science GPA is about a 2.8 and when I called to ask about my review, I was advised that the screening program automatically sends out rejection letters if you have less than a 3.0. I even explained my situation and everything else I have to back up my application and I was told that they couldnt accept me because "I wouldn't be able to handle the rigor of the program with a sub 3.0 sgpa." I was rejected.

Does the Rackspace building have study rooms? I ask this because I kind of hate studying in my own room lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else heard from adcoms? Have they sent out anymore acceptance/rejections. I was in review on 3/18 and it’s been about 4 weeks. They said it takes 2-4 weeks to go under finally review.

Does the Rackspace building have study rooms? I ask this because I kind of hate studying in my own room lol
No. Rackspace is really a building owned by Rackspace that they rent out a room to us, and then an osteopathic sports medicine clinic. Thay being said, once classes for the day end, you are welcome to remain in the classroom until it is locked at 5pm. You as a MABS student will get an ID badge so you can get into the VCOM building a few minutes up the road where they have tons of study rooms. You also have access to any Virginia Tech buildings if you want to go there. It's not bad at VT before they start but some places can get super busy once their semester begins and students are back. Also unless you get a parking pass, you cannot park on VT campus until after 5 weekdays. There are also numerous coffee shops (I personally used Barnes and Noble a lot), as well as a couple different public libraries. You can also get into Radford Universities library if you live closer or in Radford.

Reactions: 3 users
Is it 120 acceptances or 120 students that enroll?
The class is capped at 130 enrolled students. I have no clue, but I'm assuming once they have accepted 130 students, they stop. Then if someone declined the acceptance, they review the apps remaining and accept someone else. I know my roommate was accepted last year one week before the program started.

This being said, again. I dont know. But I feel they arent going to want to accept 200 knowing they only have 130 seats and then not have anyone decline, leaving them stuck with 200 students.

• Hmm
Does anyone know how long it actually takes for the application to be in final review and hear back? The email said 2-4 weeks

Does anyone know how long it actually takes for the application to be in final review and hear back? The email said 2-4 weeks

I was wondering the same. My application has been under initial review since 3/25/20. In the email it also said 2-4 weeks for it to go under final review...

I submitted my app prior to getting all my LORs completed. The last LOR was sent in a week ago, but I still haven’t received a complete email or review email. Should I call in and ask about my application? Or how long does it take to receive a complete email? I’ve gotten the verified email a while back when all my transcripts were sent in.

I submitted my app prior to getting all my LORs completed. The last LOR was sent in a week ago, but I still haven’t received a complete email or review email. Should I call in and ask about my application? Or how long does it take to receive a complete email? I’ve gotten the verified email a while back when all my transcripts were sent in.
I didn't receive an email either if you email can you let me know what they say?

If I remember correctly when I applied for the current program last year, the school/program never emailed saying they had recieved anything. I only got an email from PostBacCas when my app was verified, and then from Bluefield when they said that my app had moved to the admissions committee for review. But then again they may have changed that from this year.

Also as a note for everyone anxiously waiting to hear if they are accepted or not, please try to remember not to worry too much. The standard time they say is usually 2-4 weeks after going into final review, but even last year this is just a formality sometimes. As the submission date approached and has finished, they get bombarded with apps, plus with the state of the world they are all very busy making sure us current students have what we need, as well as the medical students. Try to remember to be patient with administration. Especially now that submissions have ended, some of you may get an email saying your under review and not find out for longer than a month of the decision. My roommate was accepted one week before classes started but submitted his app in early April. Finally, dont lose hope. Don't let the anxiety get to you. Focus on other stuff, like finishing your semester strong if you're still in school, or if not, finding a hobby to enjoy before you start this long journey towards medicine. You all can and will succeed if you stick to it. :)

Reactions: 5 users
Texas resident right here, I currently live in Houston and I'm planning to attend. Submitted my application in November, got accepted Jan 31.
I am also a Texas resident, planning to attend.

I have to talk to my landlord to make sure they are ok with it, but I am currently living in a 3 bedroom split house about 15 minutes from the classroom. I think all of us will be moving out by June, even though our rent ends mid July. If our landlord doesn't mind, I can advertise our place here for any students who are interested.

Has anyone created a facebook page for you all yet? I know someone from my class did that this year and that's how many of us found roommates.
Hey, I see that the classes are taking place in rackspace building. Could you provide me with the address for that location so I can look for housing nearby. Thank you!

Hey, I see that the classes are taking place in rackspace building. Could you provide me with the address for that location so I can look for housing nearby. Thank you!
Absolutely. The building is located at 1691 Innovation Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060

Has anyone else heard from adcoms? Have they sent out anymore acceptance/rejections. I was in review on 3/18 and it’s been about 4 weeks. They said it takes 2-4 weeks to go under finally review.

i went into review March 5 and just got an email today that I am now in final review! I think with everything going, understandably, their taking their time lol

How long did it take for you to apply and hear back from admissions regarding their decision to admit you into Bluefield's MABS program?
App Complete 1/14
Committee Review 2/6
Acceptance 2/18

What were your stats when you were accepted?
3.1 science gpa
3.3 overall
501 MCAT
and a lot of extracurriculars!

How did you like the program? Pros and cons?
I love the program! I think it it is extremely rigorous but the classes are super helpful and really prepare you for the do school. The classes are even taught but the same professors from the med school and the information for block one is pretty much the same. You have so much opportunity to grow as a person here especially to prepare you for med school. Theres several seminars to help you study and find great techniques.

Some cons would be the everyday 8AM start, having to dress business casual everyday, sometimes having 2-3 tests a week especially during finals. You will have 3 tests a week for 3 weeks. They're pretty good about giving you a day off before every exam day but still have a test and a full day of classes till 5PM after that can be a challenge. Just have to make sure you're constantly prepared and not falling behind!

Also this wasn't a problem for me but could have been for others. Make sure to take your MCAT (and it falls within benchmarks) before you go to the program. The stress of doing the program and getting that score is honestly a lot. It will save you a lot of time and tears if you just focus on one.

Were you accepted to any other programs and if so, why did you choose Bluefield's program?
I was accepted to several other programs in the state of virginia. and chose bluefield because this is the only program that is not only a year, but has an automatic admission into med school (if you meet the benchmarks). Also from hearing from several other testimonies the program is highly doable. I think the fact that you get your masters in a year, your admission, and for me at least it was close to home sealed the deal!

Do you think it helped to give you a good foundation before starting medical school?
I definitely think so!! I would not have been the same student I was before this program. The way I studied, learned, everything changed. VCOM is known to be one of the more rigorous DO schools and I see it everyday so having an ability to get a head start is amazing. Like i said before, the classes you take during the masters are SUPER similar to the ones over at VCOM during your block one. You will be most likely have the same professors so if you can get through the MABS program you can definitely be ready for medical school.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!!! (classes, anything)
What is the benchmark mcat for those doing the masters?

What is the benchmark mcat for those doing the masters?
for the class of 2020 for the fall it was, 494+ get a 3.6 or above, 492+ get a 3.7 or above, 490+ get a 3.9 or above. I think the benchmarks are different now though!

Has anyone heard of an updated academic calendar? I don't even know when our first day of class is lol

Has anyone heard of an updated academic calendar? I don't even know when our first day of class is lol
They did not post an updated one for our class until sometime in June if I remember correctly.

for the class of 2020 for the fall it was, 494+ get a 3.6 or above, 492+ get a 3.7 or above, 490+ get a 3.9 or above. I think the benchmarks are different now though!
Thanks. I just received an invite to apply for the MABS after applying to the med school. It looks like they only accept mcat scores within 3 years so I'm going to have to take it again anyways.

Also when did the semester start for the program, July or August?

Last edited:
Thanks. I just received an invite to apply for the MABS after applying to the med school. It looks like they only accept mcat scores within 3 years so I'm going to have to take it again anyways.

Also when did the semester start for the program, July or August?

I think it’s July 27th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When is the deadline for this program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I am also a current MABS student. Please PM me if you have any questions about the program. Nala has done a great job answering all of your questions but if you have more personal questions, don’t be afraid to reach out. Good luck to all applying and congrats to all that have been accepted.

Also, if any male students are looking for housing and doesn’t mind having roommates, PM me!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hello,

While in the program, are you able to apply to other medical schools? Or would you lose your guaranteed admission/glide year?

Hello,

While in the program, are you able to apply to other medical schools? Or would you lose your guaranteed admission/glide year?
You can absolutely apply to other schools. In fact they encourage it because they know that even if you make benchmarks, VCOM might not be a good fit for everyone. I'm accepted to Auburns campus but I'm waitlisted at 2 other schools myself. And I know there are a few students in my class who were accepted elsewhere and declines the VCOM seat. There are also students who didn't meet benchmarks with this program, but got accepted at other school. I highly recommend that you still apply to other medical schools even while in this program.

You can absolutely apply to other schools. In fact they encourage it because they know that even if you make benchmarks, VCOM might not be a good fit for everyone. I'm accepted to Auburns campus but I'm waitlisted at 2 other schools myself. And I know there are a few students in my class who were accepted elsewhere and declines the VCOM seat. There are also students who didn't meet benchmarks with this program, but got accepted at other school. I highly recommend that you still apply to other medical schools even while in this program.
Hey! Did you and your classmates also re-take the MCAT since you applied to other med schools or did you use the MCAT score you had when you entered the MABS program?

Hey! Did you and your classmates also re-take the MCAT since you applied to other med schools or did you use the MCAT score you had when you entered the MABS program?
I used the MCAT I had since it was good enough. But I believe that some students had taken the MCAT again. That being said, majority of us who go accepted or wait listed elsewhere used our past MCAT scores since we all applied in August or September of the cycle.

I used the MCAT I had since it was good enough. But I believe that some students had taken the MCAT again. That being said, majority of us who go accepted or wait listed elsewhere used our past MCAT scores since we all applied in August or September of the cycle.
Thank you! For example, if I have a MCAT that meets the 3.6 benchmark, would you recommend applying to other schools ? Even if it is a sub 500 score? Thank you for answering my question!

Thank you! For example, if I have a MCAT that meets the 3.6 benchmark, would you recommend applying to other schools ? Even if it is a sub 500 score? Thank you for answering my question!
Its really hard for me to give a definite answer. I would say go for it, but be realistic. Don't waste your money applying to those schools that notoriously accept only people with 515 and higher. But still go for it. There are students accepted to the school I'm hoping 5o get into with sub-500 because everything else was wonderful for them. I'm over 500 and was waitlisted. So I think if you feel your app is good, it's worth a shot. I think there may even be some in my class who go in elsewhere with sub 500. It really should depend on if you feel confident in your abilities and if you apply with logic, towards those schools who are more likely to not autoreject you.

Oh wow!! This makes me feel much better. I read somewhere about a mandatory attendance to VCOM on SDN from one of the students? Idk what they meant.

I have just been accepted and I am curious if we are given access to the Virginia Tech facilities, tickets to sporting events, etc as well as access to VCOM facilities. Also if anyone is looking for roommates please let me know.

I have just been accepted and I am curious if we are given access to the Virginia Tech facilities, tickets to sporting events, etc as well as access to VCOM facilities. Also if anyone is looking for roommates please let me know.
You have access to VCOM buildings with a badge. You can go anywhere you want on Tech to study, but if you want to park there before the free parking times, you would need to buy a parking pass. They no longer have a contact with Tech to use their gym facilities or discounted tickets because they felt that it was adding too much additional fees for the cost of attendance when negation were made again, especially when most of the students didn't use those benefits.

did you just fine out today? Do you mind sharing when you completed the app and your stats?

Hey is it possible to still apply?? I just heard of this program and it sounds pretty cool with the conditional acceptance.

Hey is it possible to still apply?? I just heard of this program and it sounds pretty cool with the conditional acceptance.

I believe if you check the website, deadline for application was last week.

Hey guys, I was wondering if there was some sort of GroupMe or something that's been made for people that have been accepted? Or if there isn't would any of yall be interested into making one?