VCOM MABS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Possible apartment mates anybody? (I'm a male). Before all the cheaper places get taken

Members don't see this ad.

I have to talk to my landlord to make sure they are ok with it, but I am currently living in a 3 bedroom split house about 15 minutes from the classroom. I think all of us will be moving out by June, even though our rent ends mid July. If our landlord doesn't mind, I can advertise our place here for any students who are interested.

Has anyone created a facebook page for you all yet? I know someone from my class did that this year and that's how many of us found roommates.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to talk to my landlord to make sure they are ok with it, but I am currently living in a 3 bedroom split house about 15 minutes from the classroom. I think all of us will be moving out by June, even though our rent ends mid July. If our landlord doesn't mind, I can advertise our place here for any students who are interested.

Has anyone created a facebook page for you all yet? I know someone from my class did that this year and that's how many of us found roommates.

I saw a Facebook page for 2020-2021 however I don't know how legit it is as the same person who made it for this program made one for Touro's 2020-2021 program at the same time

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a Facebook page for 2020-2021 however I don't know how legit it is as the same person who made it for this program made one for Touro's 2020-2021 program at the same time

Good to know. The school does not provide an official one that they create and send out (at least they did not last year), so if someone who is accepted for the upcoming year wanted to create one for everyone it might be a good idea. :)

Good to know. The school does not provide an official one that they create and send out (at least they did not last year), so if someone who is accepted for the upcoming year wanted to create one for everyone it might be a good idea. :)

How much is the rent per person for the split house btw?

hey Guys, I m former MABS student, please feel free to ask related questions. will try to answer as soon as I can :) overall, great program for those who need good foundation to succeed in medical school. it helped me a lot to be more prepared for med school curriculum.
Hey this is a really
Random question but is the dress code business casual for everyday in class ?

Hey this is a really
Random question but is the dress code business casual for everyday in class ?

Yep. Only time you can dress down is when your pre-SOMA and class officers designate days as dress down days. But even then you are required to dress business casual unless you donate money or canned food items to go towards whatever specific organization the officers choose to donate the proceeds of dressing down.

Cool. I will eventually post details later once I get the okay from my landlord should he still like to rent out to students.
If the landlord approves then I'd definitely be interested too haha

Any predictions on the booklist for 2020? I found 2019 but assuming most likely there won't be a change, any advice if I should wait until later to get books.
Also if it stays the same, any current MABS students looking to sell their books for a cheaper price?

Any predictions on the booklist for 2020? I found 2019 but assuming most likely there won't be a change, any advice if I should wait until later to get books.
Also if it stays the same, any current MABS students looking to sell their books for a cheaper price?

Current MABS student: last semester, we got the booklist about a month or a couple of weeks before classes started. In all honesty, you don't really need the textbooks because the professors give all of the information in their lectures. They're kind of like supplements if you don't completely understand what the professor is saying in the slides/lecture. The only class that you would need the book for is Health Policy since the professor has reading quizzes that pull information straight from the book. The quizzes are super easy by the way, so don't stress.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how many members are on the committee of admissions and how many votes you need for an acceptance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping it 100 - don't worry about this kind of stuff. I promise you will stress yourself out way more than necessary about these details and stuff that you can't control when you should be focusing on your studies. Literally all you need to do is: show up, listen to professors/lectures and take notes, study, do your best on exams, make some friends and be respectful to everyone. That's literally it and you will be in by December. Our dean said that there are always people who do just this, don't cause a ruckus and get accepted with little or no discussion about them at the committee meeting.

I'll emphasize the 'respectful to everyone' part again because that includes everyone, not just the professors who teach you or the dean. There are staff who have just as much say as professors. I think on the program website that it says this is a "year-long" interview. Just like how there's advice about being nice to the janitors and various staff during your med school interview that lasts a day, keep that same energy for this program (within reason). Everyone has off days but just be nice.

Reactions: 2 users
Recently been accepted, just waiting on the official letter! Unsure about whether I want to commit here or to PCOM. PCOM is closer but I'd have to retake the MCAT, but I already meet the requirements for MABS to matriculate into their DO program. I'm torn

Keeping it 100 - don't worry about this kind of stuff. I promise you will stress yourself out way more than necessary about these details and stuff that you can't control when you should be focusing on your studies. Literally all you need to do is: show up, listen to professors/lectures and take notes, study, do your best on exams, make some friends and be respectful to everyone. That's literally it and you will be in by December. Our dean said that there are always people who do just this, don't cause a ruckus and get accepted with little or no discussion about them at the committee meeting.

I'll emphasize the 'respectful to everyone' part again because that includes everyone, not just the professors who teach you or the dean. There are staff who have just as much say as professors. I think on the program website that it says this is a "year-long" interview. Just like how there's advice about being nice to the janitors and various staff during your med school interview that lasts a day, keep that same energy for this program (within reason). Everyone has off days but just be nice.
Thank you for this! I was actually wondering about getting into the MA program. I was curious to know how many votes you need to get into the biomedical master's program.

Also, to further expand, if you do want the texts, you can find PDF copies of pretty much all of them online. Regarding the Health Policy book that was mentioned by another current student, check it out from the Bluefield Library once you are a student. Last semester I just checked it out for 2 months and that was enough time to get its use. I mailed it back to Bluefield and never had to worry about it again.

I think a wave of acceptances just went out a couple of days ago.

Has anyone gotten their final review email yet? I was complete 12/9 and have not heard a peep since.
I received an acceptance on January 31st. Have you still not heard anything from them?

I received an acceptance on January 31st. Have you still not heard anything from them?
I just called a moment ago and they were just explaining how they are catching up from altering the benchmarks. But in like a week or two I should get a final review email. Were you complete around the same time as me?

I just received my final review status email. Anyone else?

I have been on final review since November 11!
I have called so many times and emailed them. I am so worried and I don’t know what to do.

I have been on final review since November 11!
I have called so many times and emailed them. I am so worried and I don’t know what to do.

Maybe they are doing instate students first. Are you from Virginia or surrounding states?

I'm from NY and got accepted the day the wave of acceptances went out.

I’m not sure then. My stats were good and surpassed all the averages. I have good LORs and some volunteering. I’m not too sure at this point how they are evaluating

I’m from Illinois and was verified 12/9. Who knows how they are doing the admissions process. I think they will be sending out more acceptances in a week or two. That’s what I was told from the lady on admissions team.

I’m from Illinois and was verified 12/9. Who knows how they are doing the admissions process. I think they will be sending out more acceptances in a week or two. That’s what I was told from the lady on admissions team.
How did you get in contact with the admissions team? I emailed them last Tuesday and they didn't reply

How did you guys know when you were complete or in final review? My app has been sent in since november and have yet to receive one email from them!

Last edited:
How did you guys know when you were complete or in final review? My app has been sent in since november and have yet to recieve one email from them!
My status updates were sent via email only.

I say have patience, it's still a bit early in the cycle.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

To everyone who is anxious because they have to heard a decision yet, please remember it is still incredibly early. My roommate was one of the last people accepted for our current class one week before the program started. It is easier said than done to stay calm, but I promise you that you will eventually hear from them. Try to find something else in the meantime to keep your attention. You all are amazing no matter what decision is made.

Reactions: 3 users
To everyone who is anxious because they have to heard a decision yet, please remember it is still incredibly early. My roommate was one of the last people accepted for our current class one week before the program started. It is easier said than done to stay calm, but I promise you that you will eventually hear from them. Try to find something else in the meantime to keep your attention. You all are amazing no matter what decision is made.
I understand if you get accepted a week before if you applied later but I was complete and under final review by October 23rd. I received an email saying I would hear a decision in 1-2 weeks. Then I got the email saying they would send out acceptances by like end of January. I Thoughts it’s rolling admissions and so I’m confused on why I wouldn’t have got a response by now if others who have acceptances were complete after October 23rd.

I understand if you get accepted a week before if you applied later but I was complete and under final review by October 23rd. I received an email saying I would hear a decision in 1-2 weeks. Then I got the email saying they would send out acceptances by like end of January. I Thoughts it’s rolling admissions and so I’m confused on why I wouldn’t have got a response by now if others who have acceptances were complete after October 23rd.

Last I called, it seemed like they are waiting in the votes of some members of the admissions committee.

How did you get in contact with the admissions team? I emailed them last Tuesday and they didn't reply
I called Mrs. Ballard on MABS admissions. I’ve called numerous times before and they didn’t pick up. I called around 3:30 pm their time. She pulled up my application and was very helpful. I hope this helps.

I called Mrs. Ballard on MABS admissions. I’ve called numerous times before and they didn’t pick up. I called around 3:30 pm their time. She pulled up my application and was very helpful. I hope this helps.
Yeah I’ve talked to Mrs. Ballard and she said she’s not sure. I’d have to wait until the admissions committee submits there final decision.

I actually just turned in my application yesterday 2/12 and I had no idea that this opened up in Sept 16th 2019. The fact those who applied early are just now hearing back, makes me frightened that I am behind the 8-ball.... smh

Don't let it worry you too much about when you submitted. Decisions really start to roll out in the late spring for everyone, especially after the deadline has passed. If it helps - when I applied to this program a few years back, my app wasn't marked as complete until mid-April and I heard back in early June. All that matters is that you've submitted now.

My feeling is that people who apply very early have a long period of silence just because the admissions committee doesn't start meeting until well after the app cycle opens.
Thanks for the words of encouragement ! I am just gonna keep grinding and focus on knocking out this MCAT once and for all

Has anyone that gotten accepted receive the additional info from Bluefield College on how to confirm our seat yet?

Has anyone that gotten accepted receive the additional info from Bluefield College on how to confirm our seat yet?
I have not. Sadly wouldn't be surprised if it's a good few more weeks before anything is sent out, considering some of the delays other applicants have had just to receive final review notifications or acceptances.

Don't be surprised if it takes forever to get information to you or hear back. Last year was kind of the same problem for us students. Orientation day they kept talking about this packet they emailed us with information and only then did they realize they never sent it! ha

Also waiting on that whole package thing. But I did get an email with information about how to log in to my Bluefleld College admissions page or whatever. Not sure what to do with the information that the page can give me, but it's something I guess?

Also waiting on that whole package thing. But I did get an email with information about how to log in to my Bluefleld College admissions page or whatever. Not sure what to do with the information that the page can give me, but it's something I guess?
When did they email that to you?

Not that this means anything, but I received the email that my application is complete and the admission committee will review my app. They said it should take 2-4 weeks to determine if I my app will continue to final review process. However, according to yall, it really means 2 to 4 months lol

Last edited: